Forum Settings
Forums

Is anyone else turned off by visual style only?

New
Apr 21, 2016 11:44 AM

Feb 2016
Well I thought I was much more resilient to visual style variation but I guess it plays a major role for me. For example, bad character design can definitely ruin an anime for me or even make it unwatchable.

I am struggling with Clannad just because of ugly visual style of character faces. I guess I got spoiled by nice stuff like Nisekoi and Oregairu.
man_of_cultureApr 23, 2016 11:23 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 21, 2016 11:46 AM

Jul 2015
I have some preferences likes everybody else but it's okay as long as the anime is good.

Except CGI. CGI is almost always a bad idea and looks like shit 2 years later.
Apr 21, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2013
Clebardman said:
I have some preferences likes everybody else but it's okay as long as the anime is good.

Except CGI. CGI is almost always a bad idea and looks like shit 2 years latter.
This guy gets it. CGI is the worst thing to happen to anime
Apr 21, 2016 11:49 AM

Jul 2015
Yep for someone who care a lot about the visuals (like me ) is impossible to enjoy watching anime like ping pong
Apr 21, 2016 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
tragedydesu said:
Yep for someone who care a lot about the visuals (like me ) is impossible to enjoy watching anime like ping pong

I'd say I care a lot about art style and animation since that's what got me into anime at first (Ghost in the Shell, etc) and that's why Yuasaa's shows are amongst the first I picked when I joined MAL and started watching anime again.
Apr 21, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2014
kamisama751 said:
No, you are the only one. Visuals nearly never plays a role for me.

I don't get the whole appeal to visuals, why is it people like boring and empty shows like Nisekoi just because they look pretty?
Apr 21, 2016 11:53 AM

Feb 2016
honorific said:
kamisama751 said:

I don't get the whole appeal to visuals, why is it people like boring and empty shows like Nisekoi just because they look pretty?

I don't like it just because it looks pretty... nevertheless it is pretty, which is a big plus. :)
Apr 21, 2016 11:55 AM

Nov 2015
I did when I just started watching anime, but now I don't really care about visuals.
Apr 21, 2016 11:56 AM
Nov 2011
It can, for me, but for me it'snot necessarily 'ugly or not' but sometimes if its just too weird, I can't watch it. Like, I don't mind visual quality like from 70s or 80s anime which is, in my opinion, ugly, I can still watch it with no problems, but if it's a really weird visual style, then sometimes I just can't watch it, regardless of how I feel about the substance,

Apr 21, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2013
If the characters don't have nice tits, it would ruin my enjoyment overall

Do have to agree with the horrible clannad animation tho. Fell asleep every time I tried to watch it because it is so ugly...
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Apr 21, 2016 11:58 AM

May 2015
I've seen Ajin, Ping Pong, Shiki, Madoka, Expelled from Paradise, and several other anime, and their visual styles never bothered me...
Apr 21, 2016 11:59 AM

Jul 2015
The characters in Clannad look like they suffer from some sort of maxillary deficiency. Their eyes are almost placed laterally like a fucking bird and they are negatively tilted which makes them look like deformed abominations. They're also placed ridiculously low for whatever retarded reason.

I can't look at anything from Clannad without feeling sick to my stomach. Horrid character design ruined that show before it even started.

Ironic that KyoAni is pretty good at designing characters nowadays when they have produced such elaborate monstrosoties in the past.
Apr 21, 2016 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
I do, sometimes it's a little bit pain in the ass but nevertheless i doesn't stop me for me to see what i want.
Apr 21, 2016 12:01 PM

Feb 2016
kamisama751 said:
Good animation can't save a bad script but the other way around is possible. ;)

Well it is both subjective. The story/characters you might find good I might easily find crap and vice-versa.
Apr 21, 2016 12:01 PM
Oct 2014
I don't really care about the visuals to a certain extent. But it is possible to get so bad that it irritates me. A couple of examples:

Hyakku Ryouran Samurai Girls: I get what they're trying to do with the heavy lines and textured backgrounds, but to me it just looks like they ran everything through an amateur and poorly thought-out Photoshop filter.

Prison School: To be fair, I've only seen a few scenes because the artwork bothered me enough that I decided not to watch it. It's possible I only saw the worst looking five minutes in the entire show. But to me, it felt like I was watching a dystopic action anime from the nineties instead of a modern comedy.
Apr 21, 2016 12:02 PM

Apr 2011
honorific said:
kamisama751 said:

Because anime is made of visuals. If you want story only, good read a book.
Apr 21, 2016 12:03 PM

Feb 2016
BlueBalls said:
The characters in Clannad look like they suffer from some sort of maxillary deficiency. Their eyes are almost placed laterally like a fucking bird and they are negatively tilted which makes them look like deformed abominations. They're also placed ridiculously low for whatever retarded reason.

I can't look at anything from Clannad without feeling sick to my stomach. Horrid character design ruined that show before it even started.

Ironic that KyoAni is pretty good at designing characters nowadays when they have produced such elaborate monstrosoties in the past.

Yes, exactly! I am glad someone else is in the same boat.
Apr 21, 2016 12:03 PM

Feb 2015
Sometimes, yeah.

Higurashi. The characters look so weird, lol.
Lucky Star. Too chibi.
Seirei no Moribito. Boring.
Death Note. Too much gray.
Apr 21, 2016 12:04 PM

Nov 2011
I just take my time for ugly visual.
I know one day I'll watch ping pong. I'm not ready yet.
Apr 21, 2016 12:06 PM
Aug 2015
anobaka said:
Well I thought I was much more resilient to visual style variation but I guess it plays a major role for me.

I am struggling with Clannad just because of ugly visual style of character faces. I guess I got spoiled by nice stuff like Nisekoi and Oregairu.
I feel pitty for you. Clannad has the best art style ever created. Of course i only feel this way after completing the series. I attribute my love for the art style to the fantastic story that makes me feel nostalgic towards everything relating to clannad. I actually didn't like it at first. Don't worry, you get used to it, and more than likely will end of enjoying it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 12:07 PM
May 2015
That's actually the main reason why I didn't watch Clannad at first. It's because of their big fucking eyes.

In fact, the animation plays a huge factor on whether or not I will enjoy a show. Take a look at Shinsekai yori, for example. It has great story and characters but most of the time, I didn't have the energy to watch over 1 episode in a day because of the animation. At the second half, I was basically forcing myself to watch the show.
jc9622Apr 21, 2016 12:10 PM

Apr 21, 2016 12:10 PM

Feb 2016
ilovewendy16 said:
anobaka said:
Well I thought I was much more resilient to visual style variation but I guess it plays a major role for me.

I feel pitty for you. Clannad has the best art style ever created. Of course i only feel this way after completing the series. I attribute my love for the art style to the fantastic story that makes me feel nostalgic towards everything relating to clannad. I actually didn't like it at first. Don't worry, you get used to it, and more than likely will end of enjoying it.

Well Luck Star has very similar character faces. I just cannot stand it. I dropped Lucky Star immediately because on top of disgusting visual style, it was also extremely boring. I am giving Clannad a chance since there seems to be some value in the story/characters. But I am struggling.
Apr 21, 2016 12:10 PM

Jul 2014
I already got knifed for complaining about Aku no Hana in a similar forum like this, so what's the worst that could happen?

Yes, visual styles plays a major role as it is what I will be staring at for 5-6 hours straight.
Apr 21, 2016 12:11 PM

Oct 2014
I mostly watch moe anime so I was a bit turned off of Berserk due to the art style, but I watched it anyway and I loved it.
Apr 21, 2016 12:13 PM
May 2015
anobaka said:
ilovewendy16 said:

Well Luck Star has very similar character faces. I just cannot stand it. I dropped Lucky Star immediately because on top of disgusting visual style, it was also extremely boring. I am giving Clannad a chance since there seems to be some value in the story/characters. But I am struggling.
Just hang in there, After Story will make everything worh it.

Nov 2011
jc9622 said:
pteroz said:
I just take my time for ugly visual.
I know one day I'll watch ping pong. I'm not ready yet.
I know I'm never going to watch Ping Pong the Animation in my lifetime even though I heard a lot of good things about that show. Ugly visuals completely throws me off.

I never judge on the cover... It's dumb.

Jul 2015
Presentation is really important and the art is a vital part of that.

Nagi no Asukara is an interesting example of having great animation, sound and backgrounds but pretty lousy character art.
Apr 21, 2016 12:14 PM

May 2014
At first One Piece was almost unteachable for me because I loathed the way Oda drew characters faces. The manga was something I couldn't understand people enjoying. Then after about 30-50 episodes the art style really grew on me. Now One Piece is probably one of my favorite anime. I think it takes time to adjust to new styles, some just aren't certain peoples' taste.
Apr 21, 2016 12:18 PM
Aug 2015
anobaka said:
ilovewendy16 said:

The story in Clannad is literally Life Changing. I mean my future before watching clannad and after are two totally different things. Thats how good clannad is. You probably won't feel this way till the very last episode though. Just make sure you watch the first season first and watch the last 15 or so in the same day. Once the "thing" happens, and you'll know what i'm talking about when it does, you can't stop watching it till the end. Just hang in there and don't give up. You won't regret clannad, you should get used to the art soon enough. Also pay close attention to those random "wierd scenes" in that other world, because they are FUCKING IMPORTANT.
ie_above11DApr 21, 2016 12:23 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2016 12:19 PM
Aug 2015
Ahoy_NATO said:
At first One Piece was almost unteachable for me because I loathed the way Oda drew characters faces. The manga was something I couldn't understand people enjoying. Then after about 30-50 episodes the art style really grew on me. Now One Piece is probably one of my favorite anime. I think it takes time to adjust to new styles, some just aren't certain peoples' taste.
Dude, that was my exact experience with one piece.
Apr 21, 2016 12:23 PM

Feb 2016
ilovewendy16 said:
anobaka said:

The story in Clannad is literally Life Changing. I mean my future before watching clannad and after are two totally different things. Thats how good clannad is. You probably won't feel this way till the very last episode though. Just make sure you watch the first season first and watch the last 15 or so in the same day. Once the "thing" happens, and you'll know what i'm talking about when it does, you can't stop watching it till the end. Just hang in there and don't give up. You won't regret clannad, you should get used to the art soon enough.

I will take an advice and watch it until end. I mainly started to watch it because everyone recommend the second season of it. I will let you know when I am done.

But I am sure I will never get used to this style of faces. :)
Apr 21, 2016 12:29 PM

Aug 2013
honorific said:
kamisama751 said:

because you're talking about a visual media if that help
anime is bigger than just writing
Apr 21, 2016 12:32 PM

Apr 2015
Klad said:
Clebardman said:

That is true, but that's not always the case. Take ufotable for example. They also use CGI, but it comes out brilliantly most of the time. The Fate series is the result of that.
Apr 21, 2016 12:36 PM

Feb 2016
Yes, of course, I usually choose my animes by the visual, when I see something that I dislikeI don't even start it, like One piece, since the beggining I didn't like the art style, It's kinda weirdo for me the concept of the characters... And I never have watched Clannad but these characters faces are really weird tho...
''Ask not the Sparrow, how the Eagle soars'' - Kiryūin Satsuki
Apr 21, 2016 12:36 PM

Aug 2014
monali said:
honorific said:

And writing is nonetheless far more important than visuals.
Apr 21, 2016 12:40 PM

Dec 2015
Code Geass - everyone looks like Slenderman.

(oh hey cool this is my 1000th comment, I don't know whether to feel pride or shame)
Apr 21, 2016 12:43 PM

Feb 2015
I can look past awful visual style if there's something else that makes the anime interesting but I totally understand if others don't feel the same way about that.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 21, 2016 12:46 PM

Feb 2016
kamisama751 said:
anobaka said:

Well it is both subjective. The story/characters you might find good I might easily find crap and vice-versa.

What if I tell you that objective standards exist? :D

I am an engineer. If you give me an objective measure for story/character/voice acting etc., in a same way distance/voltage/force is defined, so I can compare either of them as I compare voltages and can say this one is higher than the other, then yes. Until then, art and its attributes will remain entirely subjective.
Apr 21, 2016 12:48 PM

Oct 2014
Often I'll pick anime up because of the art style.

This is basically a CGDCT, but it's as long as Naruto (excluding fillers). Why aren't there more anime like that?
Apr 21, 2016 12:49 PM

Aug 2013
kamisama751 said:
Valaskjalf said:

Because anime is made of visuals. If you want story only, good read a book.

Anime is a medium of storytelling which happens to be visually. The purpose of telling a story is to express something.

but the visual aspect is really important when you try to tell a story in the visual media
just take the tatami galaxy as an example,one of the most enjoyable part of the show is the way yuasa used the visual to tell the story
the same can be said to ping pong or all satoshi movies or even shaft shows and a lot of different shows
Apr 21, 2016 12:49 PM

Aug 2013
kamisama751 said:
monali said:

Anime is much more than just visuals.

I totally agree
that exactly what i said in the end but i think you didn't pay much attention to my post
Apr 21, 2016 12:50 PM

Nov 2011
Bobby2Hands said:
Code Geass - everyone looks like Slenderman.

(oh hey cool this is my 1000th comment, I don't know whether to feel pride or shame)

ehhhh I'm ok with code geass but not with XXXholic ... science explain ?
Apr 21, 2016 12:56 PM

Aug 2015
Meeeeeeeeee

If the art is shit, the anime is automatically shit to me!

That's why kill la kill is a terrible anime in my book .
*cough* Code GeAss *cough*
Apr 21, 2016 1:01 PM

Jan 2013
Z-Dante said:
Meeeeeeeeee

If the art is shit, the anime is automatically shit to me!

That's why kill la kill is a terrible anime in my book .
*cough* Code GeAss *cough*

Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions... hmmm...

To people who've never seen anime, the big eyes and ridiculously large foreheads are usually a big turn-off. This turn-off disappears the more people watch the show. I know people who couldn't watch DBZ because of the eyes and muscles.

Code Geass's artstyle is fine. Just keep watching the show and you'll get used to it. Kill La Kill as well.
Apr 21, 2016 1:04 PM

Aug 2013
Insertanamehere said:
monali said:

And writing is nonetheless far more important than visuals.

if you believe so you can have it your way
and i just checked your favorite and all of the work you like have a awesome art and animation i'm just curious would you think the same way about them if they were shity in that regard??? who know
Apr 21, 2016 1:07 PM

Aug 2014
monali said:
all of the work you like have a awesome art and animation

errrr what
no they dont .............
Apr 21, 2016 1:10 PM

Mar 2015
Klad said:
Clebardman said:

CGI will get better over time. Early 2000s digital anime looks horrendous in many cases, and now it looks pretty good.
Apr 21, 2016 1:17 PM

Sep 2014
honorific said:
kamisama751 said:

Because the entire point of Nisekoi is indulging yourself in a fantasy about a guy getting lots of attention from pretty girls
Apr 21, 2016 1:22 PM

Aug 2013
Insertanamehere said:
monali said:
all of the work you like have a awesome art and animation

errrr what

good work dodging all of my post or sorry i mean almost all of my post
but seriously i was talking just about your favorite i didn't checked your whole list
it was just a little bait from me you know
anyway as i said in my post above that you have already dodged,you can have it your way i'm not here to change your mind
Apr 21, 2016 1:32 PM

Aug 2014
monali said:
Insertanamehere said:

errrr what

good work dodging all of my post or sorry i mean almost all of my post
but seriously i was talking just about your favorite i didn't checked your whole list
it was just a little bait from me you know
anyway as i said in my post above that you have already dodged,you can have it your way i'm not here to change your mind

Evangelion, Utena, LOTGH, have good art and animation?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
26 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
27 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
28 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
36 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.