Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2016 6:37 PM

May 2011
I want to like the show. But I'm so over the "zombie apocalypse" wave. It's like they go in cycles. The last phase was the Vampire" phase. Twilight ruined that phase.

And i also get why people call this Snk season 2. pre-electronic age fortress enclaves of humans trying to survive but getting raided by mindless hordes of monsters. A screaming whiny teenage brat protagonist trying to "save the world" and taking moral high ground against scared shitless mob mentality soldiers. Infected by the same thing that's trying to kill the humans, but miraculously survives. it'll be a copycat bonus if he then gets special powers from his infection

It's not fair to get totally into nitpicking the plot. Because i know it''s my apathy towards zombie genre shows that's driving it.

So if you like, that's cool.

But if you don't really like it, I understand also, I'm sort of in the same boat.
Apr 7, 2016 6:39 PM

Dec 2012
TYxTxYT said:
zellami said:

If the train doesn't slow down, it makes no difference either way. Right? Right?

If a driving train doesn't fall into the river but instead bulge right into the city, it will only prove bigger plot hole.

For the record, I got what you mean. But if I post a link, hinting it is nonetheless possible, can we just end the nitpicking on subjects we are educated as the next ape on the branch :)

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne/news/doodlebug-crash-7081/
Apr 7, 2016 6:49 PM

Aug 2014
Attack on Titan with trains and zombies. Ok.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Apr 7, 2016 6:49 PM
Mar 2016
The lengendary Araki Tetsurou, director of many good animes (Attack on Titan, Death Note, Guilty Crown) does not disappoint. What a masterpiece! Amazing visuals, sounds, music, potential plot. 10/10 for first episode.
Apr 7, 2016 6:50 PM

Jun 2014
shanimebib said:
Xenocrisi said:
I don't see anything wrong with the pictures above.

No salts here. Just stating the pudding. In open broad daylight, they make a train stop to make sure it's safe and even inspect the people on board stark naked for injuries and in the darkness of night, they lower the bridge to let it in without a second thought when the train was not even on sight. You may justify with the dumb nobody who lowered the bridge though but yeah, there was his superior giving instructions as well.

Xenocrisi said:
You must be the one who gave 3 out of 5 right? Huh.

If that is difficult to figure it out when I said my initial impression was a 6.5/10 then it will be difficult for you to fathom the two pictures I posted to rationalize.

ur forgetting that the first train arrived off schedule but the second one was on time
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Apr 7, 2016 7:03 PM

Dec 2014
This first episode was pure hype and adrenaline which was exactly what I wanted from this anime. I hope the rest of the episodes are just as good as this one, if not better.
Apr 7, 2016 7:04 PM
Jul 2011
Looks okay. Probably one of the better anime this season, at least.

Eren.
Apr 7, 2016 7:09 PM

Jan 2015
HOLY SHIT! this show is going places.

COME AT ME BRO!
Apr 7, 2016 7:12 PM

Jun 2013
Holy shit, now I see why this was so hyped up, that was fucking incredible!
Apr 7, 2016 7:13 PM

Oct 2014
Edgy teenage anti-authority trash. The main character comes off as a whiny bitch. Seriously.
"Don't put the guy who might be a zombie into jail! Why? Because that would mean that we were living under a system of fear! There is no possible way that this system was put into place because the masses don't want anybody who might possibly be infected to be allowed into society!"
On top of that, the way he jumped in front of the soldiers, yelling at them to not throw their comrade in jail, is both nonsensical and hugely disrespectful in context. Those soldiers have been out in the wilderness, protecting that train and fighting the zombies (Kabane... sigh...). Those soldiers know that guy and the threat he represents way better than the protagonist. The fact that they even have the respect to throw their comrade in jail as opposed to putting a bullet in his head speaks massively in favor of the honor and intricacies of the authorities involved. Of course, the protagonist is immediately justified by the show, as the marked man is killed in a way that is indicative of him not being infected, and that automatically makes the authorities cowardly and evil. Typical teenage edgy trash.

I know, I know, Attack on Titan ripoffs are all Wit Studio is doing these day. But Attack on Titan was more subtle than this and Owari no Seraph had a more immediately interesting cast of characters, generic as they were. It seems that Wit Studio anime are going the way of Western Young Adult novels.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 7, 2016 7:17 PM
Mar 2016
IT WAS SOOOOOOO SOOOOOOO GOOD! I love that there's a play on colors rather than staying at just one tone then mixed with the savageness of the Kabanes.

This show is insanely satisfying and that was just the first episode.
Apr 7, 2016 7:20 PM
May 2010
Looking how Mumei easily kill a kabaneri only by chooping it's head, kinda make Ikoma's steam gun practically redundant. Also from the ED visual it's show how easy to pierce kabaneri heart with a spear, but it's by Mumei again so maybe because it's her that making it looks so easy idk.

Anyway, despite of the many flaws it only the first episode so I don't really mind so I'm sure going to watch the next episode
Apr 7, 2016 7:24 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty nice I think. Music is godlike, sasuga Sawano-sama. Props to EGOIST too.

The last scene with Ikoma was awesome.
Apr 7, 2016 7:39 PM
Oct 2015
THIS IS IT. THIS IS THE PINNACLE MOTHERFUCKERS. IM TALKING SNORTING 8 BALLS OF COLUMBIAN BAM BAM WHILE FUCKIN A KATANA SHOE WEARING BITCH ON A BULLET TRAIN WITH FLESH DEAMONS CLIMBING UP THE SIDES. ANIME IS SAVED ANIME IS SAVVED!!!!!!
no seriously guys if you like action shows, this was neat.
Apr 7, 2016 7:40 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Easily the best production value of the season like I expected...This episode was great

So far I love the setting and the way they presented the state that society is in as well as to giving a decent introduction to the Kabane

The characters so far were impressive and especially the MC whom is literally what Eren should have been like. He's intelligent, a quick thinker, he's driven, kind, focused, he's serious about his goals and most of all he speaks his mind no filters included.

The main girl is a fucking badass and I almost came when she just kicked that Kabane's head clean off....I'm very curious to learn more about her because her personality is great and her story seems so interesting right now....I'm glad that she isn't stoic too

In short, I really like how they presented this world and the threat and resulting fear of the Kabane and seeing how much precautions that they take is a nice touch

This station that they are at is pretty much fucked though lol....I hope that those cunts that killed that innocent man plus the royalty guy gets killed in the next episode....OST is epic as per everything Sawano does and the visuals were really really good

With this, my Top 5 most anticipated of this season are all confirmed to be really good like I as hoping :D
Apr 7, 2016 7:43 PM

Apr 2015
Holy hell that was legit.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Apr 7, 2016 7:45 PM

Jun 2014
Great action packed episode.
I'm liking the Mc, and Kabane looks more scary than Titans.
Only problem was that Rip quality. It totally sucked.
8/10
Akatsuki_NinJun 18, 2017 4:01 AM
Apr 7, 2016 7:45 PM

Jul 2014
Horatio_Nelson said:
Edgy teenage anti-authority trash. The main character comes off as a whiny bitch. Seriously.
"Don't put the guy who might be a zombie into jail

He wanted him put in jail. They were just going to kill him.

Lots of stupid problems with the show, like them not just throwing him in jail rather than a really poorly made scene of them wanting to randomly murder someone just to show how awesome of character the protagonist is.

If a little girl with a shoe can wipe them out, a warrior with armor and sword wouldn't even be threatened. Why are these people running? Why if there is so much danger are they so lax with train security? Yeah the animation is great, but this is a seriously brain dead show.
Apr 7, 2016 7:48 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Sokah said:
Horatio_Nelson said:

Lots of stupid problems with the show, like them not just throwing him in jail rather than a really poorly made scene of them wanting to randomly murder someone just to show how awesome of character the protagonist is.

If a little girl with a shoe can wipe them out, a warrior with armor and sword wouldn't even be threatened. Why are these people running? Why if there is so much danger are they so lax with train security? Yeah the animation is great, but this is a seriously brain dead show.
Clearly that girl is not normal in any sense of the word dude, you can't compare her to a random soldier
Apr 7, 2016 7:51 PM

Jul 2014
Just because they actually let us see some gore and how much more impactfull the feeling of being helpless this episode gave, I actually quite enjoyed it... I am not surprised that this reeks of SnK, because in many aspects this is basically a remake of SnK just with some steampunk, nothing new. Yet there was something here, i don't know if it's the gore or the fact that u actually feel like u are helpless along the other characters that actually make you at least want to watch the next episode. Good drama and good focus on the whole "it's a virus, you are f*** mate, chances of survival is slim".

But what captivated me more than Kyojin did, was that people here are actually voulnerable to attacks from a kabane and that they have yet to find a weapon strong enough to be of any use like the movement gear. And the sense of fright and how overwhelming it is to be thrown into a world where you cannot fight back and must live with an overwhelming fear that you might turn into a zombie.

I'll give it an 7 for now, since it's a 1cours anime god knows how much of disaster this will turn out to be.
Apr 7, 2016 7:54 PM

Mar 2013
Its like a mix of Attack on Titan and Princess Mononoke, with some zombie apocalypse thrown in. Very interesting.....
Apr 7, 2016 8:01 PM

Dec 2009
Steampunk setting in Edo Japan? Awesome.
Apr 7, 2016 8:18 PM

May 2009
Sokah said:

She has superhuman power like Basara, I mean Ikoma just got.
Apr 7, 2016 8:18 PM

Oct 2014
Sokah said:
Horatio_Nelson said:

Were they? They surrounded him and and pointed guns at him, but they didn't shoot until he ran. Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post. This show looks awful and more cliched than almost anything else I've seen this season. I can't believe people are praising it.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 7, 2016 8:23 PM

Dec 2014
Really good start to the series.
Of course the apocalyptic setting with humanity scraping for survival isn't anything new. I feel it was executed fairly well here, Though I think the Kabane onslaught should have been triggered differently.
Why would they just lower the bridge without so much as a check? Especially in such dire times.

The way the MC stopped the virus from spreading was seriously crazy though I don't get why the virus completely vanished. Even if he stopped from going to his head it did cover his chest so by that logic shouldn't he be at least half infected? Or rather he should have been infected since from what they say the virus's point of interest seems to be the heart.

The Soundtrack and animation were awesome.
The Kabane scenes were gruesome and I loved it.

As long as I get a decent explanation to all my questions, I'm sure I'll end up liking the series.
Apr 7, 2016 8:28 PM

Apr 2013
Lmao haters gonna hate.

Fantastic first episode, a great paradigm of a show that can easily draw you in from the first epiosde. The visuals and animation were stellar, and Sawano's OST does not dissapoint - spot on and fits the mood of the scenes appropriately. The character designs are easily distinguishable and really captivating as well.

Love the intriguing steampunk setting and the setting just looked beautiful for sure. So much great deatil to the artwork and visuals. That ending was intense and brutal, damn already liking the girl for sure as well. The MC does not even remind me of Eren, people should seriously wake up and stop comparing. In the end, every show has its own intrinsic value and inherent worth and uniqueness, and this show definitely mark as one of the more memorable, if not, one of the best first episodes this season and the steampunk-esque setting certainly contributes to making it distinct.

Love that Egoist OP. So catchy~ cannot wait for the Aimer ED man.
Apr 7, 2016 8:29 PM
Mar 2013
the new season of shingeki no kyojin looks good lel

but really, this series is pandering and formulaic so far but is that gonna stop me from enjoying this? Probably not lmao. So far 7/10, I'll keep watching.
Apr 7, 2016 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
This anime is so good!!!!!!
Apr 7, 2016 8:32 PM

Feb 2008
Horatio_Nelson said:
Sokah said:

Were they? They surrounded him and and pointed guns at him, but they didn't shoot until he ran. Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post. This show looks awful and more cliched than almost anything else I've seen this season. I can't believe people are praising it.

What are you talking about? They only stopped shooting when MC stopped them. They were shooting at him before that.

It was hilarious how MC just choked the infection out of him. I guess that's how people will get super powers here.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Jul 2014
One of my most anticipated series this season and I'm happy to say that it delivered on the hype I've had for it.

The artstyle, setting and especially the music are all up my alley (you can't go wrong with Egoist, Aimer and Sawano at the helm in terms of OST..it's simply godlike).

Even though the similarities between this and SnK were there, I didn't mind them at all.

Regarding the MC..I really liked the way he thought things through when he got bit to get rid of the virus (although it was a bit too..convenient that it just dispersed like that after he strangled himself) and that it was a bit reckless of him to put his life in danger just to test his gun if it would pierce a Kabane's heart.

All in all..I loved it and the only thing that saddens/frightens me is that it's only going to be 1 cour of 12/13 episodes and there won't be enough time to flesh out every character and actually have a conclusive end.
Nov 2013
Definitely some striking similarities to SnK, but I thought it was unique in its own way as well. Definitely a show to look out for.

And that OP song!! 2016 is the year of EGOIST
Apr 7, 2016 8:33 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Very impressed with the first episode! I agree with the above comment about Snow Piercer.......it reminded me of that one also. I am happy to see some steam punk and blood spattering mixed in with a girl who can kick a zombie's head off his body. I would date her in a minute......barefoot.
Apr 7, 2016 8:38 PM

Mar 2013
It's finally here boys

A
O
T
S
Apr 7, 2016 8:38 PM

Jul 2009
How have i not heard of this before? First episode was fantastic.

Haven't been this hyped for a series since AoT & F/SN UBW.
Apr 7, 2016 8:43 PM

Sep 2013
Well as expected, the basic premise is pretty much that of attack on titan. It is basically a mixed of attack on titan and you're generic zombie apocalypse. Although I think this is only the second zombie apocalypse anime ever made the first one being highschool of the dead. To be honest, if this wasnt produced by the same studio who made Attack on titan this isnt going to be as good. The animatio and music make this anime look so epic.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Apr 7, 2016 8:49 PM

Jan 2011
It's Steampunk hoshido! (Edo) setting and animation aside nothing to crazy going here.

also after seeing so many zombie related stuff was driving me nuts when everyone had to use their suicide bags thinking this shit was a curse could of easily cut off the infected limbs other parts not so much...and that gate scene but whatevers

looking forward to seeing how the MC stopping the spread with some straps and metal bolts made it disappear into his hair it was intense but kinda wack.

most excited to hear the Aimer ED
Apr 7, 2016 8:50 PM

Oct 2011
OMG what an amazing episode
Apr 7, 2016 8:51 PM

Nov 2010
It's basically Wits trying to improve Attack on Titan.

(+) Steampunk Feudal Japan instead of Some Random Feudal Europe
(+) Steam guns and Trains instead of static warfare with cutters and horse
(+) Far Better MC
(+) Probably Better Heroines
(+++) Friggin Original Macross Character Designer instead of newbie mangaka

With how flawed AoT is, improving AoT is not THAT hard if you have enough budget and stylish guy to direct things.

And I don't mind shallow plot, this thing is made for pure entertainment. I don't mind stupidity to GET IN to the problem, as long it's not a stupidity to GET OUT from the problem. It's feudal Japan, dude, not some modern 21th century with tight safety procedure. Mistakes happen.
Apr 7, 2016 8:55 PM

Sep 2013
I love the character design and animation ^^

Apr 7, 2016 8:58 PM

Jan 2013
I'm a simple guy. I see zombies, badass characters, badass animation, badass soundtrack, and I'm hooked.
Apr 7, 2016 8:58 PM

Mar 2013
I'm so damn shocked ;__; it was so intense, it had me on the edge of my seat during the whole episode. Actually does well at making you feel scared or nervous. The art, setting and music were really fantastic. Amazing production and directing for a first episode. Holy shit.
Apr 7, 2016 9:04 PM

Oct 2013
I was expecting a dumb gore-filled action fest and that was pretty much exactly what I got. The whole fear mentality is kinda cool, but is pretty overblown in places. Great action and fairly likeable characters will probably make this an enjoyable watch, but I don't expect anything more than that. Hopefully I'll be surprised though.
Apr 7, 2016 9:18 PM

Feb 2012
zeroyuki92 said:
It's basically Wits trying to improve Attack on Titan.

(+) Steampunk Feudal Japan instead of Some Random Feudal Europe
(+) Steam guns and Trains instead of static warfare with cutters and horse
(+) Far Better MC
(+) Probably Better Heroines
(+++) Friggin Original Macross Character Designer instead of newbie mangaka

With how flawed AoT is, improving AoT is not THAT hard if you have enough budget and stylish guy to direct things.

And I don't mind shallow plot, this thing is made for pure entertainment. I don't mind stupidity to GET IN to the problem, as long it's not a stupidity to GET OUT from the problem. It's feudal Japan, dude, not some modern 21th century with tight safety procedure. Mistakes happen.

More or less my thoughts?
Apr 7, 2016 9:21 PM

Mar 2015
Delightful first episode. If they can keep this up throughout the season this show will be a real winner.

And we see why razor blades on the soles of your shoes can be a problem lol.
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 7, 2016 9:27 PM

Jan 2015
Lelouch0202 said:
Really good start to the series.
Of course the apocalyptic setting with humanity scraping for survival isn't anything new. I feel it was executed fairly well here, Though I think the Kabane onslaught should have been triggered differently.
Why would they just lower the bridge without so much as a check? Especially in such dire times.

The way the MC stopped the virus from spreading was seriously crazy though I don't get why the virus completely vanished. Even if he stopped from going to his head it did cover his chest so by that logic shouldn't he be at least half infected? Or rather he should have been infected since from what they say the virus's point of interest seems to be the heart.

The Soundtrack and animation were awesome.
The Kabane scenes were gruesome and I loved it.

As long as I get a decent explanation to all my questions, I'm sure I'll end up liking the series.

The only logic I see for the virus retreating is that the virus must have a very short life span so it rushes to take over the hosts system, in this case it failed so it ended up dying. However I'm pretty sure we'll get a more unrealistic answer down the line.(Or no answer)
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 7, 2016 9:29 PM

May 2015
Can we all just take a moment and appreciate just how gorgeous this show is? Just Beautiful.

Anyhow, this first episode has got me pumped. Already shaping up to be the best anime this season. I think it'll be a wild (and depressing) ride.
Apr 7, 2016 9:42 PM
Jul 2007
seanlee7887 said:
The lengendary Araki Tetsurou, director of many good animes (Attack on Titan, Death Note, Guilty Crown) does not disappoint. What a masterpiece! Amazing visuals, sounds, music, potential plot. 10/10 for first episode.

Whoa, you added one anime too many on there. Guilty Crown was a rip off of so many other anime and horrible, predictable. Only thing good about that show was the OST. G.C. showed he is not a good director when the source material is original, which is the case for this show as well. It would be kind of hard to make this show fail because they are using a tested and proven formula that worked in SnK. G.C. was rife with Deus Ex Machina that was never backed up by the plot. Just like how they lowered the drawbridge when they should have been cautious; it gave an excuse for the story to progress that way. I will admit that I was taken aback by the visuals and epicness that was presented, but given this director's track record with original source material (Guilty Crown), don't get your hopes up. This is very over hyped right now and rating will drop in the future more likely than not.
eraltergApr 7, 2016 9:56 PM
Apr 7, 2016 9:46 PM

Sep 2014
A great episode! Very promising series, looking forward to the next one.
Apr 7, 2016 9:46 PM

Sep 2008
As expected, this was awesome. The MC doesn't suck this time either so thats a huge plus.
Apr 7, 2016 9:48 PM
Apr 2013
That was pretty good! Amazing animation and songs really help. Can't wait til next week.
Pages (19) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

367 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

616 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2016

393 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2016

544 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 8, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.