Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2016 11:15 AM

Feb 2016
What are your thoughts on the show and what would you rate it?
Apr 7, 2016 11:16 AM

Jul 2015
great mc !
good animation
sadly i didnt like the plot
Apr 7, 2016 11:19 AM
Feb 2015
watch the first 6-7 episodes and if you dont like it drop it
Apr 7, 2016 11:20 AM

Feb 2015
I watched couple eps of first season.

I did find it intriguing at first plot wise, and mc was not your typical guy under the surface oh and fights/executions are cool.

But rest of the chars if not all were like standing corpses only there to be dead after 1-2 ep cuz it went with 2-3 eps arcs or something.

I heard that second season is even more random.

It suffers due to not nailed type of execution, it would work much better with continued storytelling.
Apr 7, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2016
I haven't went further than episode 4. Not really interesting at least for me.
Apr 7, 2016 11:25 AM

Oct 2014
Good mc and great action
Confusing and unexplained storyline
Overall i find it decent
Apr 7, 2016 11:26 AM
Apr 2016
a pretentious piece of garbage with its only redeeming quality being its MC (which gets completely trashed on the next season).
Apr 7, 2016 11:36 AM

Aug 2015
that ending gave me cancer..seriously that ending though
Apr 7, 2016 11:39 AM

Feb 2013
one of the edgiest anime names out there
Apr 7, 2016 11:48 AM

Mar 2014
Go check out the review section and I'm sure you'll be able to find out
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 7, 2016 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
Entertaining the whole time, and the MC was very likeable.
I'd say that's an example of an anime that clearly achieved the goal it was trying to reach.
Apr 7, 2016 11:56 AM
Dec 2011
The second season doesn't really connect enough to the first season for me. Really the second one could have been a standalone because you don't get any answers to any questions until the second one anyway
Apr 7, 2016 12:02 PM

Oct 2014
NoobStomper said:
a pretentious piece of garbage with its only redeeming quality being its MC (which gets completely trashed on the next season).

I agree but it is a entertaining piece of garbage so i give it a pass
Apr 7, 2016 12:03 PM

Oct 2014
Zefyris said:
I'd say that's an example of an anime that clearly achieved the goal it was trying to reach.

Actually no
If it just stayed on the semiepisodic format i would say the show achieved its goal but it tries to have a overarching plot towards the end and it failed hard
Apr 7, 2016 12:16 PM

Aug 2014
A pretty good 1st season - both Hei and Yin are good MCs and it's semi episodic nature was quite good until it decided to have an overarching plot in the end. Regardless gave it a 8, it's quite enjoyable imo.

But the 2nd season is nonexistant.
Apr 7, 2016 12:19 PM

Sep 2015
Good premise, interesting characters but the plot was aimless. Little to no information given out until the last 3-4 episodes, where they dumped the entire exposition we'd been missing the previous 20 episodes.

The episodic focus was really strong, and they pulled off each mini-arc nicely. But the overall info about what was actually going on was missing; it could have done with a more gradual releasing of info.

The second season was quite a lot worse, though.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 7, 2016 12:24 PM

Feb 2010
Great show. Good main characters, fantastic action scenes, a nice air of mystery and most importantly very well executed episodic execution for most of the show, with most of the 1-episode antagonists feeling surprisingly fleshed out at the end of the episode.
The plot towards the end ended up being decent but isn't and shouldn't be the main appeal of the show. The characters, episodic execution, setting and atmosphere is what make this show so enjoyable.

Also be aware that it has no sequels.
NO IT DOESN'T.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2016 12:32 PM

Apr 2014
One thing for sure, it's not as edgy as you think, it's quite a fun show and it had a sequel....
Apr 7, 2016 12:34 PM

Apr 2013
gabrielrroiz said:
Zefyris said:

Actually no
If it just stayed on the semiepisodic format i would say the show achieved its goal but it tries to have a overarching plot towards the end and it failed hard

No, no, no. You're just using buzzword that you don't even know the meaning of. How did DtB ever tried to have an "overarching plot". It cannot fail at this since it never had such a thing nor tried to have it in the first place.
Just lol. Peoples on MAL and their vocabulary use, it's always so comical.
Can't you just say "I didn't like it so for me it didn't achieve its goal" ? That would be just fiiiiine as a reason.
Yet you're all trying so haaard to justify your taste by throwing random (buzz)words to make your opinion look cooler. It doesn't look cooler. So just stop.
ZefyrisApr 7, 2016 12:39 PM
Apr 7, 2016 12:35 PM

Jun 2012
Probably the greatest producer of an anime meme - Chinese Electric Batman.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 7, 2016 12:38 PM

Oct 2014
Zefyris said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Actually no

No, no, no. You're just using buzzword that you don't even know the meaning of. How did DtB ever tried to have an "overarching plot". It cannot fail at this since it never had such a thing nor tried to have it in the first place.
Just lol. Peoples on MAL and the vocabulary use is always so comical.
Can't you just say "I didn't like it so for me it didn't achieve its goal" ? That would be just fiiiiine as a reason.
Yet you're all trying so haaard to justify your taste by throwing random (buzz)words to make your opinion look cooler. It doesn't look cooler. So just stop.

And you are basicamly saying that just becaude i am usong a buzword my opinion is invalid and incorrect
How about actually trying to adress my issue with the show instead of saying i want to look cool with fancy terminalogy
Apr 7, 2016 12:41 PM

Apr 2013
gabrielrroiz said:
Zefyris said:

Just lol. Peoples on MAL and the vocabulary use is always so comical.

And you are basicamly saying that just becaude i am usong a buzword my opinion is invalid and incorrect
How about actually trying to adress my issue with the show instead of saying i want to look cool with fancy terminalogy

No, I'm not saying that. I'm telling you that there was no overarching plot nor attempt to it so it cannot "fail at it". That's all. I'm also telling you that it's perfectly fine to think it didn't achieve its goal for you if you didn't like it. For me, it achieved it. It's fine.
I actually addressed your whole concern with my previous post already.
Apr 7, 2016 12:45 PM

Jun 2013
I wasn't necessarily sure what was going on the whole time.

And I loved it.
Apr 7, 2016 12:50 PM

Apr 2015
Edgy, to say the least.

That's sort of the whole appeal of it. Also Gaiden and Ryuusei no Gemini are utter rubbish in my humble unbiased opinion.
Apr 8, 2016 12:40 AM

Feb 2016
Thank you all for your input.
Apr 9, 2016 7:50 AM

Mar 2015
I love it- it's one of my favorite anime.
-Hei is 100% badass
-Soundtrack is 10/10 e.g. OSTs like Yin No Piano, M25-3, Go Dark
-Animation and fights are great 9/10
-Great story arcs 8/10

It reminds me of X-Men in concept and western superhero tv shows like The Flash (story arcs are 40 mins long, new villain every time). I like Darker Than Black more than any superhero show I've seen. 9/10 Overall
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 15, 2016 6:53 PM
Apr 2016
Pretty good, I just wish they didn't make s2 which was a farcry compared to this....
Mar 29, 2019 2:01 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Loved the MC and the actions!

As for the plot, not so much. :(
Apr 19, 2019 8:24 AM

Aug 2018
I don't know if I am loving it or not. It is really entertaining and Hei is an awesome character (I like Yin and Mao as well, and now I can understand why Huang is such a douchebag), but I think it fails in execution, because the plot has THAT potential (with Heaven's Gate / Hell's Gate, the Contractors and those random powers) and I feel it does not seize it.

For me, it is a 7 rn, don't know how will end, but a pretty decent ride. I expected more nonetheless.
May 7, 2022 9:26 AM
Jul 2020
I do wish they kept or made a second season with the themes of the first one.
May 10, 2022 12:59 PM

Aug 2018
I've just started the first season and surprisingly enjoying it atm. Hei's characterization is great, and not something you see often. It also has wolfs rain vibes, thanks to the director and the music.

However, I'm waiting for it to develop a bit further. The ride has been smooth, but I can't help but expect something to just take it to the next level.
Feb 13, 2023 8:00 PM

Feb 2016
Some arcs are good and some are bad. I prefer the 2nd season because the quality is more consistent with only a single arc.
その目だれの目?
Feb 16, 2023 12:10 AM
Jul 2021
So far for me, it's meh. some times it's bit too slow, other times it's too rushed. It lacks consistency. And it has other issues, some bad, other very bad, like the characters they feel cardboard-ish, I am suppose to connect with them/feel empathy towards them? Because I don't. The MC he's weak, lackluster. I'm not feeling it.

And this shows score is 8.07? Give me a break.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.