Forum Settings
Forums

Are you guys reading the manga after finishing the anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 5, 2016 7:35 AM

Aug 2014
Depends on whether or not I feel like reading the manga, and if I liked the anime. Even a good anime can have some moments cut out to fit in.
Apr 5, 2016 7:41 AM

Aug 2015
I've started reading the manga for Tokyo Ghoul and Non Non Biyori after I finished their respective anime. I also started the No Game No Life light novel after finishing the anime. Usually, however, I try to stick with either the anime or the manga unless I liked the manga/anime/LN so much that I want more of it (Non Non Biyori, No Game No Life, and I'm going to watch the Parasyte anime once I finish the manga) or I've heard that the version I didn't experience was much better than the one I did (Tokyo Ghoul), or if the version I didn't experience has more content to offer (I'm going to start reading the manga for The World God Only Knows).
Apr 5, 2016 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
@GamerDLM
I avoided manga in the past too, but there are mangas which are way better than anime. Once you start with manga you have more options in hand anyways :) maybe you could give it a try

@MochaMongoose
I often prefer the manga adaption if I had to choose between anime and manga, thats why I tend to read only the manga. I somehow can't pick up the anime series after reading the manga, cause it often results in frustration

@mouvite
I know what you mean, but I haven't experienced this frustration yet. I'm reading like 5-6 ongoing manga's and instead of thinking that its frustrating I just get really happy once a new chapter arrives. But you are right, sometimes I can find myself avoiding a manga once it is stated as ongoing

@-Maz
I loved spice and wolf, i also picked up the novels, not sure where I left though :/

@Roy_Focker
hey, I also watched Isshuukan Friends and had the urge to pick up the manga, but honestly that was the first time I was regretting reading the manga. It kind of did not reach my (low) expectations at all.

This thread somehow confirmed my generell impression. Most of the ppl. who have answered do not enjoy reading manga or only doing it out of urge.
Well on the other hand there are a few who prefer manga's.
Apr 5, 2016 10:17 AM
Jan 2013
If the anime was really good yet i didnt feel the ending to be a "closure" Ill read the manga. Otherwise i really would read it....inmediately (prolly months later). Also if the anime is after what happens in the manga or viceversa then yes
Apr 5, 2016 11:20 AM

May 2015
ShizukuViolet said:
@Roy_Focker
hey, I also watched Isshuukan Friends and had the urge to pick up the manga, but honestly that was the first time I was regretting reading the manga. It kind of did not reach my (low) expectations at all.
Well the anime original ending left many things unresolved but at the same time the last talk between them in the roof especially the part that “I want him to see me as a girl” gave me hope and I picked the manga to find out if Hase would find a solution to all of Kaori troubles. I was preparing to put Isshuukan Friends in my top manga list because I was expecting a different outcome from the anime but nop the manga left the relationship between them the same…

Hey, I understand that this manga was about friendship and trying to help Kaori restore her memories so she can move forward with her life without her being tied to the past (not a romance anime in that kind of way) and the manga did just that but geez the lack of “skinship” between them was disappointing I’m not talking about kissing but how about holding hands/arms, hugging or kiss on the cheeks the last panel of the manga would have been better in my opinion if Kaori hug him or kiss him on the cheek…

Shougo & Saki fill the Lovey–dovey cute moment in this manga they were truly a treat to read through the whole manga.

What about you? Why the low expectations? Why you regret reading the manga? I would like to hear your opinion...
Apr 5, 2016 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
Roy_Focker said:
ShizukuViolet said:
@Roy_Focker
Well the anime original ending left many things unresolved but at the same time the last talk between them in the roof especially the part that “I want him to see me as a girl” gave me hope and I picked the manga to find out if Hase would find a solution to all of Kaori troubles. I was preparing to put Isshuukan Friends in my top manga list because I was expecting a different outcome from the anime but nop the manga left the relationship between them the same…

Hey, I understand that this manga was about friendship and trying to help Kaori restore her memories so she can move forward with her life without her being tied to the past (not a romance anime in that kind of way) and the manga did just that but geez the lack of “skinship” between them was disappointing I’m not talking about kissing but how about holding hands/arms, hugging or kiss on the cheeks the last panel of the manga would have been better in my opinion if Kaori hug him or kiss him on the cheek…

Shougo & Saki fill the Lovey–dovey cute moment in this manga they were truly a treat to read through the whole manga.

What about you? Why the low expectations? Why you regret reading the manga? I would like to hear your opinion...

Can't deny you with Shougo and Saki (absolutely love those too *-*)

Apr 5, 2016 1:10 PM

Feb 2016
Don't read manga yet, but if it ended in a big cliffhanger i would read the manga, if the anime itself has a conclussion i think I wouldn't.
This is my signature
Apr 5, 2016 7:16 PM

Mar 2016
yes of course, i read manga after i watched the anime only to know the ending.

" At least we stare at the same sky"
Apr 5, 2016 7:19 PM
Jan 2016
Only if the anime really left me hanging, an example being Berserk.
Apr 7, 2016 7:47 AM

Jul 2013
After I finish the anime, if I liked it, I tend to read the manga
Apr 7, 2016 7:48 AM
Apr 2016
This is only in special cases. Hypothetically, if the anime was so good that it left a gaping hole in my heart. Then yes. I would go on to read the manga series.
Apr 7, 2016 7:51 AM

Jan 2011
For anime that either I really liked or the ones that gets shat on for being unfaithful, I put it on PTR. So AgK, Tokyo Ghoul, Prison school for example. Also had Shokugeki no Soma and Noragami in PTR in the past but not after a sequel was announced. Either way, I don't read much manga at all
Apr 7, 2016 7:51 AM

Feb 2015
sometimes, if i'm interested. i read Witch Craft Works right now after watching the anime. same with To Love ru Darkness.
Apr 8, 2016 9:36 AM

Feb 2016
Just if the anime ends in a big cliffhanger and I really liked it 😊
This is my signature
Apr 8, 2016 9:38 AM

Dec 2015
I dont read mango unless theres actual romance involved init and the mango is actually finished. I see no point doing it otherwise (there are very few exceptions tho)
Apr 8, 2016 9:41 AM

Mar 2016
I don't tend to, just in hopes another season of the anime comes out, but I feel like I should start to.
Apr 8, 2016 9:49 AM

Aug 2015
hell no
reading manga is for nerds

But seriously, no. If a series doesn't get a complete anime adaptation...well that's that, I simply move on.
I don't like reading manga. The lack of color turns me off and there's always the possibility for an anime adaptation/sequel (it's why I haven't read JoJo's part 4 through 8, so far I'm doing great)
Apr 8, 2016 9:50 AM
Feb 2016
If I haven't read the manga before I finished the anime (really rare), yes, unless I don't particularly enjoy the show.
Apr 8, 2016 9:50 AM

Apr 2014
Its the opposite for me. Never watched an anime after having completed the manga.
Apr 8, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
I tend to read the manga only if a anime i like has zero chances of getting another season or if i heard the manga is much better than the anime.

Apart from "Naruto" and "One Piece" that i simple read the manga because i got sick of the fillers and slow progression...
Apr 8, 2016 10:01 AM
Sep 2015
I used to read the manga after finishing the anime but from experience I reached the conclusion that the manga is in most cases far better, so nowadays whenever an anime I wanna watch is based off a manga, I'll not watch the anime altogether and start off with the manga instead.
Apr 8, 2016 10:12 AM

Aug 2015
I typically only read manga if I really enjoyed the anime. In that case it would seem that I couldn't get enough of it and must find a way to continue enjoying it.
Apr 8, 2016 5:31 PM

Dec 2012
90% of the time, no. Only if my interest in it is strong enough and there is significant amount of story left that wasn't adapted into anime. Being available officially in the US also drastically improves the odds of me reading it.

I focus mainly on anime, and my manga/novel completion list is absolutely pathetic when compared with how much anime I've watched.
KruszerApr 8, 2016 5:40 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 8, 2016 5:38 PM

Oct 2014
Yup, I do that pretty often when I like a show a lot in and just want to see more of it.
Apr 9, 2016 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
Shitsure said:
Yes, always. Well, when possible, if I can find them.

yeah *high five*, manga are the best, i think there are a lot of mangas far better than the anime
Apr 13, 2016 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
Shitsure said:
ShizukuViolet said:

yeah *high five*, manga are the best, i think there are a lot of mangas far better than the anime

Yeah, I generally feel like I like manga better than anime, so regardless of my opinion of the anime I like to check out the original work to try to get a better picture.

where do you buy it from (do you get it in english?)
Apr 13, 2016 6:11 AM
Sep 2015
nah..ive always been anime only..i like watching anime
Apr 13, 2016 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
Only for Shokugeki no soma, Nanatsu no taizai, One piece, terra formars, one punch man ...
Apr 13, 2016 8:33 PM

Nov 2015
I'd probably continue a lot more anime through manga if I wasn't such a lazy shit. I can see where you friends are coming from watching solely anime. Manga you have to read and scroll, anime it "scrolls" for you. Plus there's always that appeal of characters having voices.
Apr 13, 2016 8:35 PM

Jan 2011
I plan to a lot of the time, but I like to give some time between the two.
Apr 13, 2016 10:34 PM

Feb 2016
I recently discovered the that my crunchyroll subscription comes with manga as well, so I've been reading the manga for Princess Jellyfish because I hate how the anime left off. I've also started reading the manga of Fairy Tail instead of watching the anime because I've had it with all the filler episodes. I'm actually preferring the manga to the anime, so I have other series I'm planning to pick up through the manga.
Apr 14, 2016 4:21 AM

Jan 2016
I'll probably switch over and read the manga if the show ended incomplete\pathetically\unsatisfactorily and I know the manga is better\complete.
Apr 14, 2016 10:02 AM

Feb 2016
yes, for some of good anime for me. like nisekoi, shokugeki no soma, and assassination classroom
i'm also read the manga if the story is too slow and full of filler, such as one piece, naruto, and fairy tail
Apr 14, 2016 10:25 AM

Oct 2015
Not yet, but I do plan on stopping being an anime-only pleb eventually. :p
Apr 14, 2016 2:48 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah, when I enjoy an anime and need more of it then I read the manga. Sometimes there is some extra information about the characters :D
Apr 14, 2016 3:13 PM

Oct 2012
If I like the anime and the manga is scanlated, pretty much always.
Apr 14, 2016 3:18 PM

Jun 2015
I defenitly read the manga if I really enjoyed the anime, if it ends in a cliff-hanger or when the anime didnt yet start airing but I'm curious enough to read the manga... did the last one to most of the animes I'm watching ths season, specially Bungou Stray Dogs and I dont regret it one bit :D
Apr 14, 2016 3:31 PM

Apr 2015
If I like the anime and/or it remains inconclusive or I hear it had a anime original ending, only then do I read the manga. Sometimes I still read the manga even after watching the series though, only due to manga readers not being satisfied with it and suggesting me to read it, as in the case of Tokyo Ghoul.

There are also those shounen series that I can't take the time to read through due to them being so large.

I tend to try to avoid watching anime of which I've read the source materials of first. Primely because I'm skeptical on how well it is adapted into an animation.
Apr 14, 2016 3:34 PM

Feb 2015
I rarely do. But I make exceptions for a few.
Apr 14, 2016 5:10 PM

Nov 2014
Nah i will add the manga to my list and eventually get around to it, i rarely read as is so it takes forever for me to get around to them.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 18, 2016 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
KuroTenshi1997 said:
I defenitly read the manga if I really enjoyed the anime, if it ends in a cliff-hanger or when the anime didnt yet start airing but I'm curious enough to read the manga... did the last one to most of the animes I'm watching ths season, specially Bungou Stray Dogs and I dont regret it one bit :D

i totally agree, but sometimes when i read a manga which could have a second season i can't decide whether i should continue or not
Apr 20, 2016 2:27 AM
Jan 2015
Shitsure said:
ShizukuViolet said:

Yeah, I generally feel like I like manga better than anime, so regardless of my opinion of the anime I like to check out the original work to try to get a better picture.

Same here. Some anime based on the manga are poorly done or never end or whatever... you better read the manga as it's the base material \o/
Apr 20, 2016 9:03 AM

Jun 2015
never have even read a single manga
[that may not be true]

but no, I dont manga
Apr 21, 2016 6:30 AM
Nov 2015
It depends on my enjoyement and the cliffhanger in the last episodes.

+ I read Tokyo Ghoul from the beggining.
+ I used to be a One Piece anime watcher but I got hyped by the current events in the Manga so I'm reading it as soon as the chapters get out.
+ I got sick of waiting SnK S2 so I read the manga which I regret because the long wait between the chapters but I liked it. It's on tie with TG at 1st place.
+ I'm reading Nisekoi manga since it's the story I'm wanting to most to watch its end.
+ I enjoyed BTOOOM! and I'm planning to read its manga from the beginning.
+ I'm not hoping of a 2nd HxH season so I read the latest chapters (Thank goddness it's back !!! )

And Rokka no Yuusha made me read its LN from the 1st volume to the latest one !
Apr 21, 2016 8:02 AM
Aug 2013
Rarely, but if i really like the anime and the characters i will get around to reading the manga eventually.
Apr 23, 2016 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
AP_974 said:
Shitsure said:

Same here. Some anime based on the manga are poorly done or never end or whatever... you better read the manga as it's the base material \o/

yeah but somehow i can't read a manga from the beginning when i watched the anime already, thats why i tend to avoid the anime if the manga looks rly good
Apr 23, 2016 4:01 PM

Nov 2015
I read manga when I REALLY like a series. Sometimes I pick up manga first and then watch the anime if the same reason occurs. I read through what we have so far of Bungou Stray Dogs because I was tired of waiting for a week for a new episode, and that's not the first time I've done that.

So to answer your question clearly, it really depends on how much I like a series.
Apr 23, 2016 4:29 PM

Apr 2014
That's a bad habit. You would just need to read the manga from the start if the adaptation was bad.
It should be reading the manga first then watch the anime.
So, you would know why others are so upset about the outcome of the anime.
Haters always gonna hate.
Apr 23, 2016 4:32 PM

May 2013
Depends if I really like the anime I use to pick up the manga.
May 11, 2016 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
Rayzer said:
That's a bad habit. You would just need to read the manga from the start if the adaptation was bad.
It should be reading the manga first then watch the anime.
So, you would know why others are so upset about the outcome of the anime.

i think it really depends, for some its better to read it first for others not
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

15 by billybub »»
3 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

73 by Abomination_suah »»
11 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 8 hours ago

15 by juanlqr »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by juanlqr »»
18 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

91 by LeonhartAugust »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.