Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 27, 2016 11:41 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Check out this thread for an introduction to what FAL is and its history.

Rules

The rules for the Fall 2015 season are now void and shall be replaced by the following rules:
  1. Each player will make a team by choosing 5 active anime and 2 bench anime from the Spring 2016 season, listed in the next post. Please note that movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials are not in the list.
  2. Sequels can be used freely in your team. The anime Boku no Hero Academia, Bungou Stray Dogs, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season, and Koutetsujou no Kabaneri are special exceptions and will not be eligible to be selected as part of your team.
  3. The Spring season will start on April 3, 2016.
  4. Points will only accumulate within the 14 weeks this FAL season is in session. Later episodes and weeks will not count toward a team's score. In addition, episode discussion forum posts that were posted before the FAL season starts will not count.
  5. Only the active anime on a team will score points; the bench anime will not score any points.
  6. A player may swap up to 3 anime during the entire FAL season and can only swap every 3 weeks. Click here to learn more about bench swaps. The only exception to this is through the use of the extra swap wildcard.
  7. Players will not be required to be active for the duration of the FAL season. Nor will they be required to actually watch the anime on their team. They will simply need to set a bracket at the beginning, let their anime rack up points, and swap benches and/or use the wildcard/aces when they feel it is beneficial to their score.
  8. In the event that 2 or more teams wind up with the same score at the end of the FAL season, their bench anime will be used as a tiebreaker. The team with the bench anime that score the most points during the entire FAL season will win.
  9. In the event that an anime has not begun airing by week 5, the anime will be disqualified and points will no longer be tallied for it. It will not be replaced with another anime.
  10. In the event that an anime’s database entry is removed after the FAL season has started, the anime will be disqualified and points will no longer be tallied for it. It will not be replaced with another anime.

The top 3 will be awarded with a banner for extra bragging rights!

If a player decides/needs to change their username while FAL is running, the FAL Staff must be notified immediately via private message to FALbot. Swaps, aces, and wildcard requests will be rendered invalid if the player's username has been changed without notifying the staff!

Points Criteria

Automatically counted points:
The following points are counted without any input from the player over the course of the FAL season:
  • Weekly points:
    • +1 point for each user on MAL who legitimately has the anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week.
    • Double the anime's "Currently Watching" and "Completed" points for the week if 3% or fewer of the teams have it included in their active anime.
    • +25 points for each forum post in the anime's episode discussion threads in the previous two weeks (counted every two weeks using the replies column and the number of threads found on the anime's discussion board).

• Additional points:
    • +3000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 3.
    • +6000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 7.
    • +9000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 10.
    • +12000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • −4 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 4.
    • −6 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 8.
    • −8 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 11.
    • −10 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +25 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 5.
    • +50 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 8.
    • +75 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 11 and at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +4000 points for the team that gets the highest unique score that week. A team may receive this bonus only 1 time per FAL season.
    • +2000 points for each English-speaking region that simulcasts the anime in English in each of the following regions: USA, Canada, UK/Ireland, and Australia/New Zealand. The regions must be confirmed on MAL News' official Spring 2016 Simulcast List thread. The number of companies that simulcast an anime is irrelevant; only which region(s) it gets simulcast in matter. Simulcast points are counted in week 5.
    • +10000 points if licensed in USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand upon week 13. This is restricted to 1 license per anime. Licenses shall be defined by MAL News' official Q2 2016 Anime Licenses thread and their sources. A home video release must be announced or heavily implied. Companies that solely get simulcasting licenses will be excluded. In the event that the thread’s OP has not been updated recently enough to include all credible sources linked in the threads’ comments, FAL staff will verify those sources and award points accordingly.
Strategically counted points:
The following points are determined based on the player's discretion.
  • Wildcard
    All players are given the opportunity to choose 1 of the following options as a wildcard starting on week 9 of the FAL season:
    1. The booster. Add a one-time 3000 point bonus to the team's score for the week.
    2. An extra swap. At a cost of 1500 points, immediately swap a bench anime with an active anime. To use this wildcard, the player must 1) send a PM saying he or she wants to use the wildcard swap and 2) post in the Bench Swaps thread as if the player were making a normal swap.
    3. The nuke (up version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team above or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    4. The nuke (down version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team below or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    The team rankings of the previous week will be used for a nuke. X = 6750 in weeks 9–12, 5750 in week 13, and 4750 in week 14. If a player uses the nuke and the rank above/below is shared by more than 1 team, the nuke receiver will be determined randomly.
  • Ace
    In any week of the FAL season, 1 active anime on a team may be declared as the "Ace." The Ace will take effect the next time the scores are counted. The player's team will receive:
    • +3000 points if the Ace becomes the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    • −3000 points if the Ace does not become the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    Furthermore,
    • Aces are available as soon as the FAL season begins.
    • Each anime on a team may be declared as an Ace only 1 time per FAL season.
    • Once an anime passes 45000 members in "Currently Watching" and "Completed" combined, the anime is no longer eligible to be an Ace. The anime with the next highest total points on the team will then be awarded points if correctly declared as the Ace.
A player may use Wildcards and Aces by PMing FALbot. Once a PM declaring a valid Wildcard or Ace for the week has been sent, the Wildcard or Ace may not change.

Registration

After you have read the rules, made your team, and are ready to register, you can register by PMing FALbot in the format below. You must submit your registration in this format. Copy and paste the anime titles from the list of eligible anime in the next post. Username must be the exact username as on MAL; do not make up another username.
Team: Username
AnimeTitle1
AnimeTitle2
AnimeTitle3
AnimeTitle4
AnimeTitle5
AnimeTitle6
AnimeTitle7
AnimeTitle#: These are the titles of eligible anime in the next post.
AnimeTitle6 and AnimeTitle7 are your bench anime.

For example:

Registration will need to be done before April 3rd, 18:00 UTC for your team to qualify. If there is a problem with this deadline, please feel free to contact the FAL Staff to discuss it.

If you change your mind after registering, you may change your team only 1 time until registration ends. Please send the new team in the same format to FALbot and use the message subject Re-registration.
_Ghost_Jul 10, 2016 11:15 AM
Mar 27, 2016 11:43 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
The following anime are eligible this season with no exceptions:

12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki
Anne Happy♪
Bakuon!!
Big Order (TV)
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal Season III
Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song
Endride
Flying Witch
Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari!
Haifuri
Hundred
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai
Joker Game
Kagewani: Shou
Kiznaiver
Kuma Miko
Kuromukuro
Kyoukai no Rinne (TV) 2nd Season
Macross Δ
Magi: Sinbad no Bouken (TV)
Mayoiga
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
Onigiri
Pan de Peace!
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
Sakamoto desu ga?
Sansha Sanyou
Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalités
Shounen Maid
Sousei no Onmyouji
Super Lovers
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Terra Formars Revenge
Uchuu Patrol Luluco
Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season
Wagamama High Spec

The following anime are ineligible and may not be chosen:

Again, make sure you check the post above to read how to correctly register for the FAL Spring 2016 season. It is important to copy and paste the titles so that they match with the titles listed in our database.

If we are missing any anime or any of the above information is incorrect as it pertains to the Spring 2016 season, please let us know ASAP!
NumiMar 27, 2016 12:19 PM
Mar 27, 2016 11:49 AM

Nov 2011
Ah Bungou Stray Dogs banned along with Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. I would of definitely picked those two. Well this changes my strategy a bit. (was never thinking of picking Asterisk sequel though)

Should be an interesting season.

Edit: I just noticed Boku Hero no Academia as well. That's 2 out of the 3 Bones shows blacklisted.
Mar 27, 2016 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
Wow so many blacklisted for popularity.

Limiting my choices to series that air a week after the start D:
Mar 27, 2016 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
Time to pick a dream team.
Let's see if I can break the top 15 this time.
Mar 27, 2016 1:10 PM

Dec 2011
Hmm relatively short notice this time. There's still time for me to decide what I want to try doing this time around, though.

The only real change to rules on last time is a drop of 5000 in the # of members to make a series ineligible for ace status.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 27, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2013
so, attack on titan is blacklisted, but Gundam Unicorn and Macross are not

interesant.....
Mar 27, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2013
fst said:

interesant.....

if you look at the ptw count, gundam and macross aren't anywhere near as popular as the other series

do take into consideration, western anime watchers aren't as heavily into mecha as japan
Mar 27, 2016 2:35 PM

Jul 2007
shuryukan said:
fst said:

interesant.....

if you look at the ptw count, gundam and macross aren't anywhere near as popular as the other series

do take into consideration, western anime watchers aren't as heavily into mecha as japan

and here half of my team consists of mecha.. xD
Mar 27, 2016 2:44 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hmm, I thought Kiznaiver would be blacklisted since it passed 20k. That changes some things for me. Otherwise, the four blacklisted ones weren't surprising. Glad to see spring season is happening~ I collected data since the beginning of this month, although idk how much it'll help me. Can never prepare for a blackhorse.
Mar 27, 2016 7:37 PM

Apr 2013
Yay, FAL is back again. Only a week to register this time, but that doesn't really affect me much since I always end up registering at the last minute lol

The blacklisted series for this season were easy to predict, so I already have a team in mind. Need to do some number watching before finalizing it, though.

Is there going to be a banner contest for this season? I-It's not like I made one ahead of time or anything like that... :x
Mar 27, 2016 7:39 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Mills said:

Is there going to be a banner contest for this season?

Yes, there will be! Information about that will be up later tonight!
Mar 27, 2016 8:14 PM

Sep 2011
Bans to be expected. Already submitted my team. Seems fairly forward for 6 out of the 7 shows. Only had trouble picking my last show.
Mar 27, 2016 8:40 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Mills said:
Is there going to be a banner contest for this season? I-It's not like I made one ahead of time or anything like that... :x
The banner contest is now open~
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 27, 2016 8:47 PM

Mar 2012
Last time I'm finish at 54 but now I'm aiming at top 25.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 27, 2016 9:05 PM

Mar 2013
Don't a bunch of these shows start airing before registration closes?
Mar 27, 2016 9:06 PM

Sep 2011
fst said:
Yes, they do. That moment when character limit screws me in a club
Mar 27, 2016 9:11 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, and there goes half of my team. I expected some blacklisting, but not for all 3 of my top picks to be ineligible. That's kind of disappointing. Boku no Hero Academia? -ok, Attack on Zombie - yeah that one's pretty obvious, but Bungou Stray Dogs?? - yeah it's expected that it'll be popular, but to the point of being blacklisted? Well, I had more than 7 picks anyway so I guess it's time to re-examine some of the back burners.

Off to do more research, hope I can put together a better team than last season, I always seem to put together a solid team then royally mess up 1 pick every season. Wish me luck!
brianezMar 27, 2016 9:40 PM

Mar 27, 2016 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
Tyrel said:
fst said:
Yes, they do. That moment when character limit screws me in a club

in that case

not sure if i like to live dangerously because ima wait til the last minute to submit my team

or i don't like to live dangerously because I'm waiting for this stuff to start airing before making my final call
Mar 29, 2016 7:46 AM

Sep 2010
first time doing this, let's see if i get begginers luck and get a top 10 spot

to bad tokantsu dj agetarou isn't a pik, becuase i'm preety sure it will be a sleeper hit like osomatsu-san in fall season

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Mar 30, 2016 8:04 PM

Oct 2011
Wow my list got destroyed T_t
Mar 31, 2016 1:49 PM

Jul 2012
First try at FAL here as well. I think I picked a rather unorthodox team so I don't expect to be ranked very high, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Mar 31, 2016 3:11 PM

Mar 2013
I don't understand how to earn these scores:

+3000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 3.
+6000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 7.
+9000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 10.
+12000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).

Sorry this is my first time.
Mar 31, 2016 3:21 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
AudioTsunami said:

+12000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).

Let's say in week 3, the rating of Kiznaiver is 7.7. The points you will get for Kiznaiver in that week will be 23,100 (3000*7.7).
In week 7, Kiznaiver has a rating of 7.4. The points you will get for Kiznaiver for that week will be 44,400 (6000*7.4).

I think you may be confused with what "score rating" means here. It just means the rating of a show :)
Mar 31, 2016 3:22 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
AudioTsunami said:

Hi! These refer to the MAL score for a given anime. On this page it's the column labeled 'Score,' and on an anime's database entry it should be fairly easy to find.

Let's say you have two anime titles; one has a score of 8.15 and the other has a score of 7.15. For week 7, the one whose score is 8.15 would earn 48900 points for Score, while the one whose score is 7.15 would earn 42900 for Score.
Mar 31, 2016 4:01 PM

Mar 2013
K, the asterisk was a multiplication sign. I get it now.

I was looking for the explanation of the asterisk.
Mar 31, 2016 4:05 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
AudioTsunami said:
K, the asterisk was a multiplication sign. I get it now.

I was looking for the explanation of the asterisk.

Yeah, the asterisk symbol is a common symbol used for multiplication, especially with calculator apps on computers.
Mar 31, 2016 7:22 PM

Jan 2015
First time doing this, I hope I do well!
Apr 1, 2016 9:05 AM
Jan 2014
I'm new to this. Where do I register my team? Here? or somewhere?

Asked on the other thread since, that's where you're supposed to ask questions.

Am dumb, didn't even read everything!! :<
Typs7Apr 1, 2016 9:15 AM
Apr 1, 2016 11:43 AM

Nov 2011
75 last time was my first, hope i can do better this time.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 1, 2016 11:50 AM

Jan 2015
First time doing this!! Hope to get inside top 50 lol!
Wish me luck &
BEST OF LUCK to all other participants..XD
Your life to come is bound to make you smile
Apr 1, 2016 1:55 PM

Sep 2015
Is there a way to know if my form was entered into the FAL or not? Or is it just assumed it went through?
Apr 1, 2016 3:58 PM
Aug 2012
DanWall said:
Is there a way to know if my form was entered into the FAL or not? Or is it just assumed it went through?

Headcount here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1495353

If your name doesn't show up with the next update (possibly won't be until tomorrow, so be patient), send the FAL staff a message.

Your team won't be displayed until registration has closed.
Ayanami22Apr 1, 2016 4:05 PM
Apr 1, 2016 5:11 PM

Sep 2015
Ayanami22 said:
DanWall said:

Headcount here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1495353

If your name doesn't show up with the next update (possibly won't be until tomorrow, so be patient), send the FAL staff a message.

Your team won't be displayed until registration has closed.

Okay awesome, thanks!
Apr 1, 2016 5:56 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Here we go, i'm gonna try it for the first time, i have no idea what im doing but i hope my team will be doing right.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 1, 2016 9:18 PM
Dec 2014
What do we put in the subject of the registration PM?
Apr 1, 2016 9:29 PM
Dec 2014
I've been seeing all those images that are shown at the bottom of each post and I've noticed that some say first time participant spring 2016 with their favorite anime character. Do they make it themselves? Or they given after registering?
Apr 2, 2016 1:29 PM

Jun 2007
Quick question: how will forum discussion points work for Magi: Sinbad no Bouken? MAL is not listing episodes 2-6 on the TV page as they previously aired as an OVA...so will there be discussion posts in the forum when those episodes air or will there just be no forum discussion threads for that period?
Apr 2, 2016 1:45 PM
Aug 2012
Wow having registration so late is a really different FAL experience. I submitted my team a couple days ago, but now I feel like I need to revise it based on some of the premieres. Like, WOW Ace Attorney looks like butt, while JoJo had a strong enough start that it seems it might be a good early season pick.

I worry that the late registration date might make for a more boring season where there's a 20-way tie or something. But then again, it's kind of fun being able to "fix" your team once as the early shows start.

Still not sure which Crappy Light Novel Adaptation will be the one to pick though. The time loop one or that "no girls on the internet" thing?
Apr 3, 2016 3:14 AM

Aug 2011
I think I remember forum posts start counting after FAL starts and every post made before that is not included for points. Is this correct ?
161Apr 3, 2016 3:29 AM
Apr 3, 2016 8:36 AM

Sep 2011
Ayanami22 said:
Wow having registration so late is a really different FAL experience. I submitted my team a couple days ago, but now I feel like I need to revise it based on some of the premieres. Like, WOW Ace Attorney looks like butt, while JoJo had a strong enough start that it seems it might be a good early season pick.

I worry that the late registration date might make for a more boring season where there's a 20-way tie or something. But then again, it's kind of fun being able to "fix" your team once as the early shows start.

Still not sure which Crappy Light Novel Adaptation will be the one to pick though. The time loop one or that "no girls on the internet" thing?

haha, why not both? They both look like they'll do well enough for the first few weeks at least.
Apr 3, 2016 10:52 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
161 said:
I think I remember forum posts start counting after FAL starts and every post made before that is not included for points. Is this correct ?

This is correct. Any that were posted before the official start of the season will not be included.
Apr 3, 2016 11:40 AM

Jan 2013
Registration for FAL Spring 2016 has now ended! If you missed the registration for this season, don't worry. We'll be back for another FAL season in Fall 2016. Hope to see you then!

More topics from this board

» Best Profile Design (January 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Feb 4

7 by batslimeman »»
Yesterday, 8:23 PM

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

7 by Nate »»
Apr 15, 11:52 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

7 by _Ayase »»
Apr 15, 10:49 AM

» Best Profile Design (March 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by Dyianaros »»
Apr 4, 4:58 PM

» FAL ace rule clarification

okthxbb - Apr 1

0 by okthxbb »»
Apr 1, 5:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.