Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 25, 2016 10:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sukeroku's still got it :D

I loved his performance in the first half of the episode, feels quite familiar like before. Also liked the fact that he can take care of his kid well.

I thought Miyokichi's reunion with Kiku is a bit awkward but also emotional. Damn, can't believe she fell off that balcony.
At least Kiku is there to save him and Sukeroku.

Mar 25, 2016 10:57 AM

Nov 2007
No OP. Everyone happy about the pair's rakugo again. Friend guy's first story after revival is similar to his situation.

Two guys enjoying quiet night, and main guy suggesting to live in the teacher's house together. That quiet and nice moment broke by the lady. Accident caused by the lady's crazy action that made the Kobayashi-san's character's parents died. The main guy did try to save them, though.

26:27 next, the past story ended, and one more ep.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 25, 2016 12:19 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

I loved his performance in the first half of the episode, feels quite familiar like before. Also liked the fact that he can take care of his kid well.

I thought Miyokichi's reunion with Kiku is a bit awkward but also emotional. Damn, can't believe she fell off that balcony.

I am saving that screenshot....Way too fucking adorable
Mar 25, 2016 1:40 PM

Dec 2015
I'll be honest, this episode came off as strangely manipulative and... I'm just very disappointed with the way Miyokichi's character was handled. Since this was her last appearance, it was most obvious here. I really, really hope it was an adaption flaw, because otherwise this could be a great series. But as it stands, the weakness of the character becomes a weakness in the series. And that's a right shame, especially since Konatsu is so enjoyable...
Mar 25, 2016 1:52 PM

Jan 2012
Hey! Just like that story Kiku did two episodes back I knew Shin's story this week from seeing it done on Folktales From Japan! :D It was a wonderful performance, heavily symbolic of Shin himself, the restoration of a failed man. And seeing him sleep with his little girl afterwards was heartwarming. Yes, at the 18 minute mark everything was going well and then Miyokichi, or rather Yurie, returned. And the tragedy we all knew was coming, at last came. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be so accidental, so coincidental, so sadly preventable. I figured it'd be Yurie goading Shin into killing himself with her, but she seemed to be willing to live and make amends. It really all occurred due to sheer rotten luck. It added an extra layer of tragedy to the end of the whole mess, just as it really seemed as if everyone had been saved. And now we have one final episode, with an epilogue that will likely feel like an afterthought, just as that framing story we saw months ago already does.
Mar 25, 2016 1:54 PM

Jan 2015
Omfg that ending...
Mar 25, 2016 1:57 PM

Jan 2011
WHAT....THE....F***!!!!!

Well we return to the present next week for the finale and an older Kontasu which will be very enjoyable to see.

But seriously, the actual tragedy happened so quickly. I'm still kinda in shock. He gave a great (last) performance.
Mar 25, 2016 2:00 PM

Sep 2014
Miyokichi always pissed me off, I'm not even mad.
Mar 25, 2016 2:08 PM

Jun 2014
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Konatsu in the first episode said that Kiku killed her parents, and I can understand why she thinks that after seeing the end of this episode. When I found out "shinjuu" means "lover's suicide," I assumed Miyokichi and Shin would voluntarily kill themselves (or, more likely, Miyokichi would manipulate Shin into killing himself with her), but I feel like this way was more tragic. Not only was it terrible luck and very preventable, but Kiku truly wanted to save them and couldn't, so he's definitely feeling extremely guilty. I also think that Shin, deep down, didn't want to die, but was just doing what he thought was best, resulting in what we've been waiting for since the beginning. Only one more episode left, I'm really gonna miss this show once it's over.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 25, 2016 2:12 PM

Jun 2012
It takes an expert writer to show something you expect and still surprise you.

Holy shit what an episode. I haven't had an anime evoke as much of a reaction from me since Uchouten Kazoku EP 8. I was getting emotional with the audience as Sukeroku was telling his story not because of the story itself but because of how it applied to his life with Miyokichi(We learned with Bon that her real name is Yurie), Bon, and Konatsu.

No other show this season portrays human relationships as authentically as this one. BRAVO 10 out of 10
Mar 25, 2016 2:15 PM

Jun 2011
"It's your fault that our lives went off track!"

Kikuhiko just rejected Miyokichi because he simply had the right to, he didn't force her to get laid with Sukeroku. And nobody forced Sukeroku to play a knight in shining armor and follow her, trying desperately to fit the role of a perfect husband for which he most likely wasn't meant.

Geez, how I hate those characters (and those people) who blame others for their own decisions.
We have to keep our dreams alive. Something to look forward to.
Mar 25, 2016 2:18 PM

Jan 2008
thebrentinator24 said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Konatsu in the first episode said that Kiku killed her parents, and I can understand why she thinks that after seeing the end of this episode. When I found out "shinjuu" means "lover's suicide," I assumed Miyokichi and Shin would voluntarily kill themselves (or, more likely, Miyokichi would manipulate Shin into killing himself with her), but I feel like this way was more tragic. Not only was it terrible luck and very preventable, but Kiku truly wanted to save them and couldn't, so he's definitely feeling extremely guilty. I also think that Shin, deep down, didn't want to die, but was just doing what he thought was best, resulting in what we've been waiting for since the beginning. Only one more episode left, I'm really gonna miss this show once it's over.

Well, in the manga there are two tellings of the death. Even in the anime we get a glimpse of the "death scene" from Konatsu's POV and it's set up totally different than what Yakumo is telling the audience. So that's probably why you've noticed something off about this episode.
Mar 25, 2016 2:22 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
HybridMBL said:

Holy shit what an episode. I haven't had an anime evoke as much of a reaction from me since Uchouten Kazoku EP 8. I was getting emotional with the audience as Sukeroku was telling his story not because of the story itself but because of how it applied to his life with Miyokichi(We learned with Bon that her real name is Yurie), Bon, and Konatsu.

No other show this season portrays human relationships as authentically as this one. BRAVO 10 out of 10

My thoughts exactly. What an incredibly powerful and moving episode
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 25, 2016 2:25 PM

Oct 2012
HybridMBL said:

Holy shit what an episode. I haven't had an anime evoke as much of a reaction from me since Uchouten Kazoku EP 8.

That's it.

Shin's last performance was great and I was getting so emotional when he said he would give up rakugo for Miyokichi and Konatsu at the end.
Mar 25, 2016 2:31 PM

Jan 2012
One of the most beautiful anime I have ever watched. CHAPEAU
I'm a hero to save people. Is not enough of a reason?
Mar 25, 2016 2:44 PM

Jul 2009
AimeeKite said:
"It's your fault that our lives went off track!"

Kikuhiko just rejected Miyokichi because he simply had the right to, he didn't force her to get laid with Sukeroku. And nobody forced Sukeroku to play a knight in shining armor and follow her, trying desperately to fit the role of a perfect husband for which he most likely wasn't meant.

Geez, how I hate those characters (and those people) who blame others for their own decisions.

I don't know how to reply to this. I absolutely agree with you on everything but I can't entirely accept that Kiku isn't somewhat to blame. He did like her but decided work was more important so he threw her to the wind and then he didn't completely go apeshit on his friend when he went after her.
Mar 25, 2016 2:48 PM

Apr 2015
The inevitable lovers' suicide happens. The whole thing from the way Shin was begging for Miyokichi to come back to the point where they were hanging on was intense. Sad that Kiku was just imagining a future of them living altogether. Good episode.
Mar 25, 2016 2:55 PM

Jul 2015
Damn that was heavy. Really impressed with how they handled this episode. So... now we are clear that Kiku does feel some sort of guilt, but I can't say it's his fault. They are blaming him for killing them based on his impact on their life which is obviously shown through their decisions, but like someone said above, he had the right to do whatever he wanted. If anything I'd blame Miyokichi for being such a poor decision maker. She had her hardships in the past but that doesn't give anyone the right to blame Kiku.
Mar 25, 2016 2:55 PM

Jun 2009
Another really emotional episode. Given the title I also expected a suicide but this was even worse and it made me incredibly sad.
Mar 25, 2016 2:59 PM

Apr 2014
Holy fucking shit that ending T-T

Miyokichi and Sukeroku were finally going to be together again only to have it all fall apart at the last second

Next episode it looks like we go back to the present

Mar 25, 2016 3:29 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I feel like begging to Deen to give this a second season, just like Konosuba and Reikenzan. Even though we knew what was gonna happen, it was so f*cking intense. Brilliant writing.

6/5
Mar 25, 2016 3:30 PM

Aug 2013
oh my god, that ending. i'm officially heartbroken.
final next week. so sad to see this ending. it's been one enjoyable ride.
Mar 25, 2016 3:42 PM

Apr 2011
Ah yes, finally THE episode.

Sukeroku's rakugo in this episode is one of my favs in the whole series and next to Kiku's 'Shikigami'.

Of course Miyo would come back. I really hated when she said she couldn't show affection to Konatsu because she is also Sukeroku's daughter...

Their death scene was as excpected *ahem*

Next week, we go back to Yotaro and older Konatsu :D

thebrentinator24 said:

You caught something there. (I see most didn't notice)
As @trinitytiger said, there are 2 different versions of the death scene. We need S2 for a reason people.

Inugirlz said:
I don't know how to reply to this. I absolutely agree with you on everything but I can't entirely accept that Kiku isn't somewhat to blame. He did like her but decided work was more important so he threw her to the wind and then he didn't completely go apeshit on his friend when he went after her.

Still, doesn't excuse her actions.
She could have left Sukeroku behind and take Konatsu with her, find a job or go back to Tokyo. I mean do something about it instead abandoning them.
Kiku sure was harsh with his rejection but it still doesn't make him the one to blame here. They are both adults who take decisions and act.
Mar 25, 2016 3:56 PM

Nov 2014
Oh my, that was so dramatic conflict conversation among Kiku, Sukeroku and Miyokichi. At last, everyone confessed all of their regrets. Those cries were pure from their deep heart.
Mar 25, 2016 4:03 PM

Dec 2014
Xenocrisi said:
Omfg that ending...

I know, right? First chapter 45 of Gakkou Gurashi and now this. ;_; What a day for anime!
Mar 25, 2016 4:14 PM

Oct 2013
Talk about a crazy ending, goddamn. Now I can see why Kiku is the way he is today.

Mar 25, 2016 4:15 PM

Jul 2007
Okay so, the ending felt weird and it kind of contradicts what we see in the first episode where it looks like the he got stabbed.
Since this is kind of flashback, could we have a case of unreliable narrator? Because that whole end scene felt like a freaking actual play instead of real life. Will we get like 3 different versions of how it transpired or something?
Mar 25, 2016 4:17 PM
Jan 2015
My kokoro wasn't ready for this. The first time I read the anime tittle tranlation I thougth it's was a Bleach kind of name, never been so wrong
Mar 25, 2016 4:18 PM

Sep 2014
Holy shitttttttttttttttt.

I remember blood being on Kiku's face. I'm guessing he ran down there put his face on Shin's body, and Shin's daughter comes there thinking it was Kiku's fault.

Goddamn "Double suicide"
Mar 25, 2016 4:22 PM

Apr 2011
Fai said:
Okay so, the ending felt weird and it kind of contradicts what we see in the first episode where it looks like the he got stabbed.
Since this is kind of flashback, could we have a case of unreliable narrator? Because that whole end scene felt like a freaking actual play instead of real life. Will we get like 3 different versions of how it transpired or something?

As we said above, there are 2 versions of this scene. I can't spoil here because it's very heavy spoilers but rest assured, your thinking is close. And of course part of the reason we need S2 is for this scene.
Mar 25, 2016 4:24 PM

Nov 2010
Fai said:
Mar 25, 2016 4:33 PM

Mar 2008
8 minutes to the end of the episode...
Suddenly credits start to roll...

Everything to this point onwards was a lie, wasn't?
Mar 25, 2016 4:38 PM

Aug 2013
Without a doubt Anime of The Season.

GREAT episode, the ending of that sentimental play was amazing.

Kouichi Yamadera is a monster, his performance Is superb.
Mar 25, 2016 4:47 PM

Jul 2015
Stark700 said:

I had to rewind that scene a few times it was really adorable
Mar 25, 2016 4:49 PM

Apr 2014
it was going so well....and then it was not. i almost forgot that Shin was going to die because of how happy the scenes were. shit that was so emotional, especially when you think about how they could have lived together happily
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2016 5:05 PM

Feb 2015
I knew it was going to happen and I still wasn't ready. Shin's performance was perfect. What a memory to leave behind.
Mar 25, 2016 5:09 PM
Jul 2014
It left me cold, I do not know what to write.
Mar 25, 2016 5:14 PM

Jun 2014
That episode was GODLY. GOD DAMN, THIS IS THE ANIME OF THE SEASON. HANDS DOWN. The emotions I felt from Sukeroku's performance, and finding the truth about his death was very sad. I hope the next episode is 45 minutes, since it's the end. I will miss this series a lot.
Mar 25, 2016 5:25 PM

Jul 2009
yuyyuka said:

Still, doesn't excuse her actions.
She could have left Sukeroku behind and take Konatsu with her, find a job or go back to Tokyo. I mean do something about it instead abandoning them.
Kiku sure was harsh with his rejection but it still doesn't make him the one to blame here. They are both adults who take decisions and act.

Oh yeah totally, everything she's done isn't his fault. And leaving Konatsu and all that shit wasn't his fault either. I'm merely saying that they're situation as a group could've been better if he had let her in. But no, obviously she made her own damn choices.
Mar 25, 2016 5:36 PM

Nov 2011
Anyone else say "What the fuck?" When he licked those tears...yeah Kiku went down a category in my book after that. However Sukeroku is a boss!

That second half had my pulse rising, I was so nervous.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 25, 2016 5:44 PM

Jun 2015
Perhaps the best of all is that, just before the climax of the season, we got one of the funniest and most heartfelt, and the absolute longest rakugo yet. Holy shit, that went on for ten minutes and didn't feel that long. If that was done in one uncut shot, that'll just blow me away.
Mar 25, 2016 6:19 PM

Jul 2015
I'm a little surprised by this final, I knew he was going to die but did not expect such a death, Sukeroku seemed a little pathetic dying with Miyokichi.
When everything was really good for the Kiku, he ends up alone
Mar 25, 2016 6:26 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode solidified this series as being AOTS imo

When I saw that the OP didn't play this week I knew that this episode was destined to be amazing and it truly was

The first half was astonishing with Kiku's performance but what was truly something special was Shin's performance because that shit was REAL, motivational, and uplifting in every sense of those words and it was the perfect play for him to do

Second half with Miyokichi/Yurie was awkward as fuck and for a moment she really looked like a piece of shit to me until I realized just now broken Kiku made her and it became even more evident when they had that weird ass moment together

But that confession from Shin broke me.....The way he was willing to through everything away for his family was inspiring and seeing those two break down in front of each other was depressing especially since deep down she actually did love her husband and daughter

And that ending.....I can't believe that this is the way that they died....I feel so fucking bad and I especially feel bad for Kiku because his growth as a character and the way he was willing to break his mold for their sake only to have it ripped from him like this just fucking sucks

I don't think I can handle seeing Konatsu's reaction to this because I'm just broken right now....This is just really sad man....She slept so peacefully on her dad and now she has to wake up knowing that she will never feel his warmth or hear his voice again TwT
Mar 25, 2016 6:30 PM

Jan 2016
thebrentinator24 said:

I'm going to miss this show too, this series made me want to do rakugo. Also it was more tragic, even though the audience already knows Shin and Miyokichi were going to die, the scene was sad. I am crying right now and I'm sure others did as well.
Mar 25, 2016 6:51 PM

Aug 2010
Shin's performance was really touching u could definitely feel he was performing from his heart. Konatsu sleeping on him was adorable.

The ending with Miyokichi or Yurie i guess, and Bon was going in ways I was not very comfortable with since it was clear that was gonna cause the long awaited Shin and Yurie death. I was wondering if both will die at the same time and damn they did.

Konatsu and Bon will probably be destroyed nxt ep
Mar 25, 2016 7:07 PM
Nov 2015
I agree with what most people above me said about the show really pulling it off this episode. It's been a great ride and this series has opened my eyes a lot more to Shouwa Era culture and introduced me to the wonderful art of rakugo. But I'm really curious of what will transpire in Episode 13. I mean, I can't exactly see how they would end the series after what happened in this episode. But I'm sure it'll all wrap up wonderfully somehow.

Edit: I love how Sukeroku and Miyokichi finally made up just before you-know-what happened. Really bittersweet.

Damn, will I miss this show.
mochigumaMar 25, 2016 7:35 PM
Mar 25, 2016 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
That was a weird episode, everything went well until he said he wanted them all to live with him, yes, his friend and his ex-lover. That was just as unrealistic as that death scene.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 25, 2016 8:09 PM

Aug 2013
trinitytiger said:
thebrentinator24 said:

Well, in the manga there are two tellings of the death. Even in the anime we get a glimpse of the "death scene" from Konatsu's POV and it's set up totally different than what Yakumo is telling the audience. So that's probably why you've noticed something off about this episode.

That's right, the flashbacks show something more/different. (I saw the manga scene in question and think it's even weirder than the first version)
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 25, 2016 8:21 PM

Nov 2014
Kiku finally realized the importance of people. Beautiful.

Seeing the credits rolling early made me really anxious. I was bracing myself for something terrible to happen. Which it eventually did...

I was expecting Kiku and Miyokichi to just talk when they were alone in the dark room. When Kiku made clear the mistakes he'd made, I then expected maybe a hug or, at most, a kiss. I was not expecting a cheek lick, for Miyokichi to propose a suicide pact, and for all hell to break lose like it did. Wow.

5/5
Mar 25, 2016 8:30 PM

Dec 2014
Noo that ending :(

I wonder why in the present time Kiku never explained to Konatsu about how her parents actually died.
I need sleep.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

121 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.