Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 19, 2016 4:36 AM

Jul 2014
This show is excellent week in, week out.

What a triumph.
Mar 19, 2016 6:05 AM

Sep 2012
I can understand Miyokichi leaving Shin because he's essentially a total bum who spends his days moping about Rakugo, instead of actually doing something with his life, but I can never forgive people who willingly abandon their children. She's obviously depressed and not over Kiku, but to abandon your little child like that is despicable. That being said, Kiku was right to scold Konatsu for bad mouthing her mother because Miyokichi probably did a lot for her that she just can't remember. She even prostituted to feed her before she became sick of it.

PV makes it clear that Shin is going to die (maybe Miyokichi will too?), and I'm looking forward to seeing how he died because Konatsu seems to think that Kiku has something to do with it. That explains her obvious resentment towards him in the present, but she's probably definitely misinformed.
Mar 19, 2016 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
The more I watch this show, the more I think it's secretly the best series of the season. On topic, seeing Kiku and Shin do rakugo together was beyond delightful and I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything wraps up in the last two episodes. A wonderful episode yet again.
Mar 19, 2016 6:22 AM

Dec 2014
I really liked their bromance I hope Kiku and Sekuroku start working together. Still though only two episodes left I cannot seem to wonder how or whywill Sekuruku die
Mar 19, 2016 6:43 AM

Jan 2014
This is how you adapt a manga A1 Pictures! #ripBokumachi
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Mar 19, 2016 7:19 AM

Sep 2014
Now this is what I like. Rakugo has been consistently good episode after episode, improving bit by bit. So simply in concept, yet so excellent in execution. The ambiance, the characterisation and development, the interactions, the OST. Just everything is great.

Anime like Rakugo still somehow helps me have SOME faith in the Anime industry currently. Just great stuff.
Mar 19, 2016 7:21 AM

Apr 2014
CUTE konatsu
both doing rakugo are so fine
Mar 19, 2016 7:47 AM
Jan 2015
This is going to be the last happy episode of Rakugo. Prepare for the weeps in the next weeks. Thanks for this wonderful show, Studio Deen.

Yeah, the direction is sublime this season and is the best directed one in a long time. I am just waiting for the final episodes to decide if I am going to include it in my most favorite list because it is THAT GOOOD.

A bit of an advertisement, here's my blog for my weekly thoughts in these shows this season. Thanks for paying a visit.
Mar 19, 2016 8:11 AM

Nov 2011
Miyokichi is a bitch, that's all I'll say about her.

Good episode though, definitely gave me some laughs, and that duet Rakugo was solid stuff.

Next week though...looks like we might find out how Sukeroku gets the business.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 19, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
ah,this is the reason why Kiku and Sukeroku (or Bon and Shin or whatever) should have just stick together. Kiku is the only one who can make Shin do anything...And they both are just so important to each other and happy when they are together...but alas.....
Mar 19, 2016 10:20 AM

Oct 2015
Raz1515 said:
OssMoses said:
My only qualm with the show would be that if it didn't reveal that shin was going to die/dead it would've made a impact on the overall story but depending on the next episode it would've needed an overshadow of some sort other than that the show is just too good
I have to disagree. I think us knowing he's gonna die was to make all their interactions more impactful cause we know these cute moments are limited and a time will soon come for this friendship to end. Like watching this episode was emotional for me just because I know what's gonna happen. Had I not known, I would've just brushed it off as nothing really. But that's just my opinion

that's a very interesting way to think about it as well , I might have had the same initial thoughts myself while going through the episodes and especially this one since it is showing us what could've been if shin have stayed alive and maybe continued living with kiku. regardless the show hugely compensates for not doing that and I'm happy
Mar 19, 2016 11:04 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Raz1515 said:
Tokoya said:
Next week is the finale and going by the PV, shit is going to get very depressing.....It sucks knowing that Shin is gonna die because this episode showed us what the future could have been like if he lived :(
we still have 2 eps left
Man, knowing shin is gonna die made watching this very painful :( I can't imagine how kiku's gonna react, specially that it seems that he's gonna die in his arms..
I have a feeling miyo is somehow gonna be involved in his death, I swear I hated that woman from the moment she appeared

Xenocrisi said:
Tokoya said:

Next week is the finale and going by the PV, shit is going to get very depressing.....It sucks knowing that Shin is gonna die because this episode showed us what the future could have been like if he lived :(

The anime has 13 episodes.
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Tokoya said:
Konatsu truly is the most adorable thing ever :'') She's so mature for her age too!!

Seeing the living conditions that she and Shin were in was sad to see and even though I kinda get why she did it, at the end of the day Miyokichi just abandoning them like that is just disgusting

Thankfully, Kiku managed to make me love him again I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guy for helping them out and getting Shin back on his feet....That dual performance at the end was marvelous

Next week may be the final of Kiku and Sukeroku's story but there are 2 eps left. So we'll see a bit of present most probably.
Oh, my mistake lol

Still, I'm not ready for the next episode regardless xD
Mar 19, 2016 11:44 AM

Aug 2013
What if Miyo had stayed with Kiku? Would she still ask him to give up Rakugo? We know from a previous episode that she dislikes that art but like listening to Kiku. So it's okay for him to perform but it's a bad job for anybody else? It's okay for her to entertain men but it's bad for her husband to entertain people? I have hard time with her logic even if I know she must be resentful toward that Rakugo Kiku chose over her.

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that she seems convinced that Kiku came back to get her (well she's always been a bit delusional) and according to Konatsu he is indeed trying to find her...Why? To bring back the whole family? For Shin? For Konatsu? For him? If it's the latter something doesn't work here...He can't get both of them back, she's his friend's wife now, he can't have him close performing Rakugo while dating his wife, can he?
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 19, 2016 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
That dual rakugo was one of the most entertaining anime scenes I have seen in all my years of watching.

Miyokichi's back, and with her sorrow in tow, as usual. I can't help but feel sorry for her. And I usually hate her kind of character, making snark remarks like "u deserve it bitch lololololol". There's just something about her character that sets her apart from others.

And HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGHHH. Konatsu is freaking adorable!

How the hell did we go from this:

to this!?:

Okay, maybe she's a bit hotter in the future but the differences are striking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2016 12:42 PM
Feb 2016
Really good Chapter. This anime improves chapter by chapter.
Triscaidecáfilo
www.triscaidecafilo.es
Mar 19, 2016 2:01 PM

Jan 2015
qt kid
Nice job chibi, working for your dad. But he could and should put some effort in too.
Bag slap was gr8
Kobayashi Yuu doing a great job voicing the kid, she's always great!
YOO she got the Mankanshoku Mako haircut, chibi looks just like Mako now.
We getting some rainbow time with Sukeroku and Kiku
Miyokichi couldn't get Kiku out of her mind.
Kiku didn't really give a shit about her, it's good to see.
Next episode I guess we'll get to see the death of Sukeroku.
3.3/5
Mar 19, 2016 3:06 PM
Feb 2016
too much hate for Miyokichi

ofc leaving her child was a very bad move, but Shin is hardly any better; being too drunk to get off his arse and get a proper job to support his child, thus making his very small child do work instead?

I still love them both, but people are too quick on hating Miyokichi just because for them she 'spoils' bon and shin's bromance.
Mar 19, 2016 3:45 PM

Jun 2013
Kiku is giving him a helping hand that's nice and they did rakugo together also fuck that bitch for leaving
Mar 19, 2016 4:26 PM

Aug 2013
purpletodz said:
too much hate for Miyokichi

ofc leaving her child was a very bad move, but Shin is hardly any better; being too drunk to get off his arse and get a proper job to support his child, thus making his very small child do work instead?

I still love them both, but people are too quick on hating Miyokichi just because for them she 'spoils' bon and shin's bromance.

Just because she spoils the bromance would be too much. Personally, I dislike that kind of character, the clingy and delusional kind of girl, jealous, manipulative and dependent but they also bring to the story. In her case, she's an inspiration for Kiku, before meeting her he was no good with female characters and it's the reason why his master wanted him to meet her, a proper lady, also older than him hence more mature (at least she's supposed to be), she really looks like a raguko's character, the abandoned aging geisha, the tragic heroin...it's just that in reality her role is perhaps less poetic or comical and more pathetic.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 19, 2016 7:39 PM

Apr 2015
ahhhh i loved that episode. Kiku and sukeroku's friendship is so amazing. It was awesome watch them doing rakugo together.
Not even konatsu likes miyokichi ahahahah.
With this episode now i can understand why Kiku's rakugo changed. When kiku and sukeroku work together, they complete each other. They are a perfect team \o/
Mar 19, 2016 8:41 PM

Jul 2011
I can't get myself to like Shin. He's a damn bum and his own small child does the work for him? It still shocks me how Bon puts up with all his dirty habits all this time. :/

That duo performance though. <33

Next episode is going to be emotion, I'm so excited!!
Mar 19, 2016 9:53 PM

Apr 2014
another great episode. i don't necessarily hate Miyokichi because she's a refreshing realistic character, but i'm very very worried about the next episode. it's so sad watching all these happy scenes and knowing how it will all turn out. Kiku, Konatsu, and Shin get along pretty well together, it was fun to watch

another thing i'm worried about is how this anime will turn out after the flashbacks are over. i'll be honest, i didn't like Yotaro at all and i don't want a show surrounding him. if a second season does happen somehow (which i think is unlikely), the show will probably be very different
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2016 11:52 PM

Jan 2014
This was such a cute episode :')

Kawaii yaoi boisu to kawaii shoujo desu <3
Mar 19, 2016 11:53 PM

Oct 2013
the yaoi vibes in this ep were strong lel

such a beautiful episode ;-; seeing Kiku support Sukeroku like that was almost enough to make me cry. Their performance was fantastic.

Miyokichi was in love with Kiku the entire time. She probably only ran away with Sukeroku because of his connection with Kiku. Only a woman would do that... smh.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 20, 2016 7:49 AM

Nov 2013
There's nothing else I can say in this episode. Yeah that was simply very good
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Mar 20, 2016 7:53 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Best bromance in anime lately. Kiku and Sukeroku ;-;

The double rakugo was amazing, just shows how great they are together.
Mar 20, 2016 9:59 AM

Aug 2013
owlpoop said:

another thing i'm worried about is how this anime will turn out after the flashbacks are over. i'll be honest, i didn't like Yotaro at all and i don't want a show surrounding him. if a second season does happen somehow (which i think is unlikely), the show will probably be very different

Yes the second part is very different, but it's still about Kiku, his relationship with Konatsu, Yotaro, Konatsu's kid, the ghosts from the past. There are tender moments and revelations.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 20, 2016 1:50 PM

Sep 2012
The way they use music in this episode was fantastic, the show is great so far i haven't felt this emotional about an anime since Cowboy bebop, maybe is because of the voice actors which are similar:Sukuraku voice actor is the same as spike and Miyukichi voice actress is the same as Feye and also the music is very similar but so far a very well done anime.
Mar 20, 2016 6:41 PM

Sep 2008
i was behind by three episodes and now this episode has me feeling so overwhelmed. I feel like it reached the perfect fulfilling peak and now we must deal with all the tragedy. This has to be my favorite episode and everything leading up to it has just been wonderful.

I've had my speculations that Kiku's jealousy could have somehow brought Sukeroku's downfall but this episode makes me feel so guilty and bad for not realizing how much his character has developed and how strong his bond is with Sukeroku.

This trio is so complex, they all have understandable and unfortunate reasons for their behaviors and outcomes. Up to this point, it's just like watching a train wreck about to happen and you can't do anything about it. Everyone's actions from the past have just fabricated all these connected situations to happen and I'm sad. It's such a memorable story and I'm so happy it has been consistent and well-written from the start.

akisame__ said:

PV makes it clear that Shin is going to die (maybe Miyokichi will too?), and I'm looking forward to seeing how he died because Konatsu seems to think that Kiku has something to do with it. That explains her obvious resentment towards him in the present, but she's probably definitely misinformed.

This is bothering me now too because her present resentment towards him made me also believe Kiku had something to do with it but maybe Konatsu misinterpreted the cause of his death incorrectly, being so small and all. It's just strange because we know she has negative feelings towards her mother, so it's not like she would think she can't be at fault for it either. i can't wait to find out.
Mar 20, 2016 9:36 PM

Jun 2013
Konatsu is so cute I want to cry.
Mar 21, 2016 1:06 AM

Feb 2014
If this became yaoi I would still watch it. Ishida FTW

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Mar 21, 2016 5:11 AM

Jun 2009
man, that rakugo duet is soo perfect!
Mar 21, 2016 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
Adored the rakugo duet, and baby Konatsu. As far as the Miyo debate goes.. not terribly happy with Miyo for doing what she did, no matter how incompetent Shin is, Miyo had no right to up and leave like that, especially considering they have a child together. Usually I'd say that kind of abandonment and separation is painful enough for the spouse or lover, but when a child is involved, it starts to seem cruel.
Mar 21, 2016 7:44 PM

Oct 2011
OMG Kisu and Shin-san duo Rakugo made me smile and Konatsu <33

Myoki still thinks about Kiku OMG

Dat Preview NOOOOOO T__T
Mar 21, 2016 8:41 PM

Jul 2015
Konatsu is adorable and energetic and seeing shin and kiku do rakugo together was amazing too
terminador_2397Mar 22, 2016 6:18 AM
Mar 22, 2016 4:53 AM

May 2013
The episodes get better and better every week.It looks like there will be the double suicide next episode ;_;
Lead me out of the dark,bishounen space Jesus.
Mar 22, 2016 8:53 AM

Nov 2007
Quoting my post after episode 9:

shanimebib said:
Hayashibara Megumi at her finest. When she said the next time they meet it will be in hell it was as if she really meant it, yet at the same time, as if she didn't (perhaps still clinging in to the slightest of hope that Kiku may return her feelings).

The sign of a great anime and it is confirmed that she still has the same feelings for Kiku as her hands wouldn't stop shaking as tears rolled down her cheek.

But Mini-Konatsu stole the episode for me. She is so adorable.

And then the bromance between Shin and Kiku and that performance in front of pretty Mini-Konatsu.

This anime has far surpassed my expectations. I had high expectations to begin with when I first saw the PV last December but I can say it has broken all those expectations and went beyond. Easily the best anime of the season without a shadow of a doubt.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 22, 2016 7:54 PM

Feb 2010
peeyaj said:
This is how you adapt a manga A1 Pictures! #ripBokumachi

.....I have not read the manga but I think because it is about Rakugo, the anime adaptation is much better with very intense immersion. I think the voice acting here is flawless and I fail to see the parallel with the anime adaptation of BokuMachi. There is no unique guideline for anime adaptation and I can vouch for original adaptation if done well. For example the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime.
Mar 23, 2016 2:09 AM

Dec 2012
This episode feels so easy to watch. I love these kinds of episodes.
Mar 23, 2016 6:10 AM

Jul 2012
Such a amazing episode! I was grinning the entire time. Really, really sweet. Loved the rakugo's duet.
(I'm not even a fujoshi but I got the bait, I mean, they are so good together! That scene with them walking and holding hands with Konatsu xD)
Everything was good when then here comes Miyokichi. Great D:

Of course she is not the only one in fault here. She and Sekuroku are both shitty parents. Poor Konatsu.

Next episode is going to be full of feels :(

Mar 23, 2016 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
Whoops, I'm several days late to the party...
What great chemistry between Kikuhiko and Konatsu. And that dual performance? Amazing. Bringing the best of both worlds with the intense and silly performances.

5/5 as usual.
Mar 23, 2016 12:20 PM

Jul 2009
It was kinda sad that Miyokichi abandoned them, but it was clear what the love of her life was Kku...I felt sorry for her, I really wanted things were different between them.
Mar 23, 2016 8:00 PM

Jun 2015
Phenomenal episode. When Shin and Kiku started doing rakugo together I started to grin unconsciously. When a show can manage to produce spontaneous and visible emotions in me while I watch it, I'd say its one of the best.
Mar 25, 2016 2:23 AM

Feb 2012
This was a very cute and entertaining episode.

Though I like Shin, I don't like the fact he became a depressed, lazy bum of a father... letting his daughter do the working. I'm also pissed that Miyokichi left her daughter. I get it that she's not over her one and only love, Kiku, and her husband is totally useless, but NEVER EVER leave your child!

I like the scenes where Konatsu and Kiku bond. I'd really like to know how Shin died and what made Konatsu hate Kiku. I'm assuming Miyokichi also died with Shin?
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Mar 25, 2016 5:09 PM

Mar 2009
Little Konatsu is so damn cute.

I can't say I'm too happy with Miyo abandoning her daughter. Also can't say I'm too pleased with Shin letting Konatsu do all the work. Come on, man. He never changes. He's lucky to have Kiku in his life...

Shout-outs to Akira Ishida's performance. We all know he's a good actor, but this is performance of the year. I hope he wins that best seiyuu award they give out in Japan.
Mar 29, 2016 3:29 PM

Nov 2015
Seeing Kiku and Shin doing rakugo made me happy! And Konatsu is cute back then, and what the hell is Miyokichi doing?!

Mar 30, 2016 3:04 PM

Oct 2012
Man, Konatsu was such adorable and sweet little child. Gestures she was doing all the time were great.

And Kikuhiko really is better off with playing female characters and it shows. And pairing him with Sukeroku is even better.

I guess this is theirr last performace next time?
Apr 1, 2016 5:27 AM
Aug 2011
This is really painful because I want the three to stay like this forever.... and that'll never happen.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Apr 4, 2016 8:38 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, best anime of the winter season after the last few episodes of Erased were disappointing.
Apr 5, 2016 8:19 AM

Jul 2009
Oh god, the (B)ROMANCE in this episode!!! Kiku trying to help Sukeroku get his life together, admitting what his rakugo means, and then performing together for Konatsu ... ahhhhhh I CAN'T HELP BUT SHIP THEM T_T I mean them both holding Konatsu's hands and walking ... THEY'RE BASICALLY RAISING A CHILD TOGETHER LOL. Seems like Miyokichi left them, and well I guess Sukeroku's not exactly the greatest husband, but still, leaving Konatsu like that ... :( It seems like she's just been waiting for Kiku to come back but man if I don't dislike her a bit for only coming back for him if that's what's going to happen next episode >_< It seems like Konatsu feels the same way too for her leaving ... aww man, well it looks like Sukeroku's gonna be back to performing but we all know he dies in the end ... please no, I love this guy D:
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

121 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.