Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 18, 2016 10:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a reunion, the bromance is still strong in this series ;_;

I'm starting to like that kid Konatsu as well. Kiku is still rebuilding himself and I think rakugo will always remain a big part in his life. Tbh with the way he is taking care of Konatsu, he'd make an interesting father someday. Dat hair-cutting skills. Good episode, a lot of humorous moments too.

Mar 18, 2016 10:53 AM

Nov 2007
No OP. He buys soba for the girl. Until the soba lady recognized him, the girl didn't like him. Mother's gone from father not working and that's why she's working. The friend has no will to work, but he insists by his jealous but liking feeling towards him. He helps the family out in order to get them to Tokyo.

The main guy is suggested to do his rakugo at the place where it was the lady worked. Brief talk about enjoying the audiences in the bath. It seems like the girl likes her father more than her mother, who doesn't like rakugo. He cuts her hair and shows his rakugo, joined by friend guy to do a duet.

In the end showing the lady hearing that the duet is doing rakugo together.

26:27 next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 18, 2016 1:50 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Kiku and Shin doing Rakugo together was entertaining as hell! Konatsu was so energetic back then, too bad she isn't the same anymore. What the hell is Miyokichi doing? O_O

5/5
Mar 18, 2016 1:51 PM

Sep 2014
Who knew Kikuhiko would be so good at cutting hair? Also it was fun seeing him and Shin do rakugo.
Mar 18, 2016 1:55 PM

Jan 2012
Damn, I'm loving Konatsu all over again. No idea how she turned out so well given her parents, but she's great. Well maybe it was because of her lousy parents really. Seeing her again reminds me of how I wanted this story to be mostly in the present, with her given much more focus, but oh well. So for the most part this was a healing episode, and seeing Kiku and Shin doing rakugo together for Konatsu was great fun. Kiku isn't acting completely selflessly of course, but one has to think if things kept going like this Konatsu and her dad might have been alright. Kiku clearly cares for her as shown with the haircut scene, and we finally got another brief mention of girls not doing rakugo. Unfortunately Miyokichi has to return to the story, and with her must come tragedy. I still feel sorry for her of course, but with Konatsu here I'm also dreading her reappearance.
Mar 18, 2016 2:08 PM

Aug 2010
Konatsu's so cute. Her interactions with Kiku were extra adorable.

Loved the ShinxKiku performance so much. How they made Konatsu blush while covering her face was so lol. Kiku can totally make a man go gay with his performance XD

Disappointed in Miyokichi that she went with another man :/ But well life with Shin probably sux donkey balls lol

Nxt ep we might finally get to see how Shin dies? I wonder if I'm gonna cry D:
Mar 18, 2016 2:14 PM

Oct 2012
Kiku cutting Konatsu's hair~ He probably raised her well after Shin-san died even if she seemed to hate him.
Shin and Kiku's rakugo was entertaining. Miyokichi though :(
Mar 18, 2016 2:15 PM

Dec 2014
Ugh it's Miyokichi again. Really loved the duet performance; it was heartwarming and I just had the dumbest smile on my face. Goes to show how much I'm invested in these characters.
I need sleep.
Mar 18, 2016 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
Kiku and Shin doing the rakugo together was entertaining!
Mar 18, 2016 2:44 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Konatsu truly is the most adorable thing ever :'') She's so mature for her age too!!

Seeing the living conditions that she and Shin were in was sad to see and even though I kinda get why she did it, at the end of the day Miyokichi just abandoning them like that is just disgusting

Thankfully, Kiku managed to make me love him again I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guy for helping them out and getting Shin back on his feet....That dual performance at the end was marvelous

Next week is the finale and going by the PV, shit is going to get very depressing.....It sucks knowing that Shin is gonna die because this episode showed us what the future could have been like if he lived :(
Mar 18, 2016 2:45 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
If everything else fails for Kikuhiko, a career in the hairstyling business beckons.

Next episode will be dramatic I reckon.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 18, 2016 2:47 PM

Apr 2011
The rakugo perfomance was so heartwarming and funny.
Actually, the whole episode minus the Miyokichi part at the end was the best.
Konatsu is so cute and we can see why she wants Rakugo and why she hates Miyo.

Talking about Miyo, this is where part of my dislike for her comes. She abandoned her family, made Sukeroku give up rakugo and even made Konatsu to not continue it. Really woman :)

Knowing what's coming frustrates me more...Oh well, next episode the flashback ends. We should see Yotaro and older Konatsu at episode 13.
Mar 18, 2016 2:51 PM

Jan 2015
Why can't I give to this show a 11 ;-;
Shouwa Genroku deserves it.

the fujobait in this episode tho
Mar 18, 2016 2:55 PM

Apr 2015
Tokoya said:
Next week is the finale and going by the PV, shit is going to get very depressing.....It sucks knowing that Shin is gonna die because this episode showed us what the future could have been like if he lived :(
we still have 2 eps left
Man, knowing shin is gonna die made watching this very painful :( I can't imagine how kiku's gonna react, specially that it seems that he's gonna die in his arms..
I have a feeling miyo is somehow gonna be involved in his death, I swear I hated that woman from the moment she appeared
Mar 18, 2016 3:01 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The Nozarashi duet was excellent! I've always wanted to see them perform together. Too bad, it probably won't reach a big stage.

While I fancy Miyokichi, her actions really haven't been the best. It's understandable where she's coming from though and her antipathy towards Rakugo, which essentially caused a rift between her and Kiku.

Mar 18, 2016 3:07 PM

Apr 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
What the hell is Miyokichi doing? O_O

She is a prostitute.
Mar 18, 2016 3:12 PM

Jan 2015
Tokoya said:

The anime has 13 episodes.
Mar 18, 2016 3:16 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
yuyyuka said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
What the hell is Miyokichi doing? O_O

She is a prostitute.
Lol, I'm aware of that. I'm more confused about why she left Shin for something so little. I'm guessing there's more than what it seems.
Mar 18, 2016 3:20 PM

Apr 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
yuyyuka said:

She is a prostitute.
Lol, I'm aware of that. I'm more confused about why she left Shin for something so little. I'm guessing there's more than what it seems.

Because she never liked Sukeroku. It's obvious from episode 9 she used him as a means of revenge for Kiku. The child was to keep him in any case and when she had enough, she left. This woman only acts for herself and none else.

And she picked up this job because there is a law that bans geisha houses. She didn't know what else to do.
Mar 18, 2016 3:30 PM

Sep 2009
Tokoya said:
Konatsu truly is the most adorable thing ever :'') She's so mature for her age too!!

Seeing the living conditions that she and Shin were in was sad to see and even though I kinda get why she did it, at the end of the day Miyokichi just abandoning them like that is just disgusting

Thankfully, Kiku managed to make me love him again I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guy for helping them out and getting Shin back on his feet....That dual performance at the end was marvelous

Next week may be the final of Kiku and Sukeroku's story but there are 2 eps left. So we'll see a bit of present most probably.
Mar 18, 2016 3:32 PM

Sep 2009
yuyyuka said:

And she picked up this job because there is a law that bans geisha houses. She didn't know what else to do.

Geisha =/= prostitute. People should remember it. She became geisha because it was an opportunity NOT to be a prostitute.
Mar 18, 2016 3:37 PM

Apr 2011
Nachtwandler_21 said:
yuyyuka said:

Geisha =/= prostitute. People should remember it. She became geisha because it was an opportunity NOT to be a prostitute.

I am aware of that. But as I said above there was a law that banded geisha houses so she could not work as one anymore and because she had already been a prostitute before in Machuria in order to survive. She could pick another job, but really I couldn't care less she became a prostitute. No fault in that. It's what she did in order to survive.

And also, the low ranked geisha back in Japan were also prostitutes. Dunno about the situation today but for years after WW2 it was like that.
Mar 18, 2016 3:40 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
yuyyuka said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Because she never liked Sukeroku. It's obvious from episode 9 she used him as a means of revenge for Kiku. The child was to keep him in any case and when she had enough, she left. This woman only acts for herself and none else.

I don't think he used Shin because she wanted revenge. I think that she's not an independent character, so when Kiku left her, she decided that she'll need someone else. I agree with the part that she probably left because she didn't need Shin anymore.
Mar 18, 2016 4:14 PM

Nov 2014
I smiled at their reunion.

In retrospect, it might have made sense for Kiku to not give his all in his relationship with Miyokichi. She's unreliable, and perhaps he saw that. Or maybe she's unreliable with Shin because she still loves Kiku, which is why she forbids Shin from doing rakugo because it reminds her of Kiku.

Their kid is cute.

I'm warming up to the rakugo performances. The one in this episode was great. I look forward to watching this series again when the bluray is released. Now that I'm more comfortable with the setting, I think I'd appreciate it more the second time.

5/5
aikaflipMar 18, 2016 4:29 PM
Mar 18, 2016 4:16 PM

May 2015
It was great to see Kiku getting Shin back on his feet again. Their little duet for Konatsu was so heartwarming. I'm also curious to see how Shin dies next week. (assuming the last episode is for the the present)
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Mar 18, 2016 4:22 PM

Jan 2016
This are my favorite parts of this ep.

Isn't she the most cute girl... She is, SHE IS

This two are so close ¬¬

!!BITCH-SLAP!!

GAY, TOO GAY... ba, I WAS SO FUCKING FUNNY

I love Miyuki... but... She is a bitch

This was a wonderful episode
Mar 18, 2016 4:28 PM

Sep 2014
What a beautiful episode! I really enjoyed their reunion. Loved how they preformed Rakugo together!!!!

Damn why does Shin have to die?!? I can't believe we are getting to the climax soon!
Mar 18, 2016 4:32 PM

Sep 2009
yuyyuka said:

And also, the low ranked geisha back in Japan were also prostitutes. Dunno about the situation today but for years after WW2 it was like that.

You're mixing things. Oiran sometimes called "bedroom geishas" but they are not low-ranked geishas but high-ranked prostitutes. Also geishas often served as mistresses for rich people but it has nothing to do with work itself it's more like modern pop-singers or models do the same thing.
Mar 18, 2016 6:12 PM

Apr 2015
Konatsu's such a cute kid, and it's nice to see her ambition for her father performing on stage. He and Kiku trying to make a living and the whole duo rakugo were also pretty uplifting. Next episode will be less blissful, and I can't seem to prepare myself with Miyokichi supposedly coming back.
Mar 18, 2016 6:43 PM

Jul 2009
Bon x Kiku is the ultimate OTP! Such fuzzy feelings! They should just raise Konatsu together like in Ang Lee's The Wedding Banquet.

But it's just sad. You totally know that when Konatsu was a baby the one probably taking care of her all the time was Miyu. While Bon was just a useless drunk without a job. She raised that child and has to resort to such a shitty career but her daughter shit talks her and likes her dad more because he's fun and does Rakugo. Kids only see the fun shit. Still pretty shitty for Miyu to leave her kid with such an irresponisble dad. Kiku needs to just take Konatsu (or they can all do it together like one big happy family ^^)
InugirlzMar 18, 2016 6:47 PM
Mar 18, 2016 7:16 PM

Feb 2015
It was enough for me to have Kiku and Shin reunite. Then Shin joined in on Kiku's performance for Konatsu and I was overjoyed. Such a small performance that meant so much.
Mar 18, 2016 8:15 PM

Jul 2013
This anime is perfection. No words.

Every week is better!! Each episode is better than the previous one.

Call me hipster, call me whatever...I don't care... but this anime is the best from this season.

This anime is like a long rakugo story. Full of emotions. <3 <3 <3

100% of all dead people have never complained about being dead. So I guess it isnt that bad.
Mar 18, 2016 8:24 PM

Jun 2013
I don't care what anyone says, Sukeroku and Kiku have such a deep bond similar to that of a husband and wife and also similar to that of bromance but more profound and stronger. Only Kiku had the power to make Sukeroku do rakugo again.
臭い-
Mar 18, 2016 8:33 PM
Aug 2014
Kiku and konatsu's interaction was really adorable. I can't stop smiling the whole episode.
Although I fel bad for konatsu because she had to earn money for her father.

It's not right for miyo to abandoned her family like that but it must be hard for her to have such an unreliable and drunkard husband. Shin can try to get a job for his wife and child,but he didn't do that instead still moping about rakugo. Turned out Kiku was the one who can bitch slap and get him on his feet.

The duo performance was really entertaining and next week they perform together in front of audience, fulfilling their promise.
Mar 18, 2016 8:54 PM

Dec 2012
I got goosebumps when they performed together
Mar 18, 2016 9:21 PM

Sep 2011
this was a perfect episode

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 18, 2016 9:50 PM

Sep 2009
I will keep a place in my heart only for this amazing KikuShin's performance scene.
This show is... how can I say it... it's always beyond your expectations. Every time I think: "It's just won't get better!" But it will. Always.

By the way, this episode is a very good example of what offended rejected woman can do.
xenofallMar 18, 2016 10:08 PM
でぶ
Mar 18, 2016 9:56 PM

Sep 2013
That performance tho.

This show is truly amazing.
Mar 18, 2016 9:56 PM

Aug 2013
I found that weird that discussion with Konatsu about women, not even once I saw Kiku giving attention to one at the theater (or even elsewhere)...I must be blind..or it was too subtle.

BTW ppl, Bon and Kiku are the same person XD Kiku is Bon's stage name.
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 18, 2016 10:47 PM

Oct 2015
I'm out of words with this show seriously , after this episode I'm 100% sold on the show and it will eventually end up on my fave list for sure.

My only qualm with the show would be that if it didn't reveal that shin was going to die/dead it would've made a impact on the overall story but depending on the next episode it would've needed an overshadow of some sort other than that the show is just too good

and I completely understand Miyo current emotions since she has been rejected and given the cold shoulder many times by kiku/bon throughout their relationship or the lack thereof and Shin after realizing he is not going to be able to perform rakugo and being overwhelmed by the idea of it it's completely plausible as to why shin and miyo would hook up since they both are wounded birds and were going through a hardship in the previous episodes

I'll be prepped for the feels trip next week :(
Mar 19, 2016 12:07 AM

Nov 2012
this was a great episode. kiku and shin's bromance is too good.
Mar 19, 2016 12:11 AM

Jun 2014
Yet another great episode, and next week looks like the event we've all been waiting for will happen. We knew it was coming since the beginning, but now it's actually time to see it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 19, 2016 12:25 AM

Aug 2008
Strong bromance in this episode. Looks like next week will be sad episodes which we all know is coming.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 19, 2016 12:41 AM

Apr 2015
OssMoses said:
My only qualm with the show would be that if it didn't reveal that shin was going to die/dead it would've made a impact on the overall story but depending on the next episode it would've needed an overshadow of some sort other than that the show is just too good
I have to disagree. I think us knowing he's gonna die was to make all their interactions more impactful cause we know these cute moments are limited and a time will soon come for this friendship to end. Like watching this episode was emotional for me just because I know what's gonna happen. Had I not known, I would've just brushed it off as nothing really. But that's just my opinion
Mar 19, 2016 12:48 AM

Mar 2013
Great episode. Actually, it's so good that I'm scared to watch next one, since we already know that there's no happy ending.
Mar 19, 2016 1:32 AM

Aug 2013
Small Konatsu is really cute.

Had a huge grim on my face when they did rakugo together, what a amazing scene.

And after coming this far I gotta say knowing that Sukeroku will die and that's involves Kiku in some way I'm more than sure its gonna be something really strong and will make me feel damn sad T-T
Mar 19, 2016 1:41 AM

Jan 2011
Such a nice cheery episode, so of course they're gonna give a punch straight where it hurts next episode.
Mar 19, 2016 2:10 AM

Aug 2014
Seeing Shin's fall from grace last episode to being picked up and supported by Kiku. This episode was everything I had hoped it would be <3

It feels like forever since both Kiku and Shin performed a duet rakugo :D The background music picked up right when Kiku joined Shin which was great timing. Loved it~

At this rate I don't think we'll be seeing Yotarou's rakugo that well unless the final episode is 45 minutes long like the first episode.

Before Yotarou, we have to talk about Miyokichi though. I'm afraid she might do something crazy that'll end up either hurting Kiku or Shin. I hope you all are ready for the drama to pick up next week!

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Mar 19, 2016 2:22 AM

Jan 2008
Great episode. So Miyokichi is still pinning for Kiku?

I actually never liked Miyokichi and mostly because she got between Kiku and Shin. Not that their friendship ended because of that but I still hated it. However, it's good that Kiku wasn't hurt when he learned that Shin is with Miyokichi or that she's pregnant. It just means that she didn't really mean all that much to him.

Konatsu is cute and I like her but I am hoping the adult her won't end up with Yotaro. I don't know but I guess I want someone for Kiku and I thought Yotaro might be the one to fill that place left by Shin. Oh, well. I guess Kiku is meant to stay alone.
Mar 19, 2016 3:24 AM

Sep 2013
Nachtwandler_21 said:
yuyyuka said:

You're mixing things. Oiran sometimes called "bedroom geishas" but they are not low-ranked geishas but high-ranked prostitutes. Also geishas often served as mistresses for rich people but it has nothing to do with work itself it's more like modern pop-singers or models do the same thing.
I have to disagree. Geisha DO PROVIDE SEXUAL SERVICES AND GET PAID FOR IT. They are pretty much prostitutes (or at least they used to be) although they dont want to be referred to as such because not all of them provide sexual service and they do provide other forms of entertainment to their clients like playing games, a drinking buddy, playing music etc.
AsianKungFuMar 19, 2016 5:19 AM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

121 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.