Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Mar 5, 2016 3:43 AM

Jun 2014
LightBladeNova said:
Avaritia- said:
I'm an anime only viewer but it seems like the majority of people have the wrong expectations for this series.

Everyone is saying that the killer is obvious as if the whole point of the show is to figure out who he is. I mean yeah I could be wrong but evidence says otherwise. The mangaka made it a point to make things so blatantly obvious. The viewer isn't meant to be spending a lot of time trying to figure out who the killer is.

Rather than thinking about the "Who?" you should be asking "Why?" What are his reasons for kidnapping innocent kids and killing them? What purpose does it serve? How did he get away with it?

However, that's the kind of reasoning that excuses poor writing. "The mangaka made it a point to make things so blatantly obvious" - is that supposed to justify a badly written mystery? Erased has been marketed as a mystery, and it has been presenting itself at least *partly* as a who-dunnit mystery, with clues (like the culprit knowing that Hiromi is male) and questionable red herrings scattered about, and Satoru doing some research and investigating in the present time. In other words, Erased's *presentation* and general premise are leading the majority of people to confront the show as what's supposed to be a well-thought out murder mystery. So it's not right to place the fault with the audience. It's true the murder mystery isn't the only aspect, but it's still an important part, given the show's presentation, and Erased simply hasn't been doing a good job in this department, assuming everyone's right about the teacher being the culprit.

Satoru hasn't been trying to find out who the killer is at all. He knows that one exists and is doing anything he can to prevent the murders. The viewer knows there is a killer but it hasn't been directly stated as to who it is. These are points that were established since the start.

You can argue that if it's obvious why not just say who it is from the beginning but the story is told from the point of view of Satoru, not the viewer. Since Satoru doesn't know the identity of the killer, there's no reason for us to know either. Regardless of how obvious it may be.
Mar 5, 2016 4:02 AM

Jul 2014
Avaritia- said:
LightBladeNova said:

However, that's the kind of reasoning that excuses poor writing. "The mangaka made it a point to make things so blatantly obvious" - is that supposed to justify a badly written mystery? Erased has been marketed as a mystery, and it has been presenting itself at least *partly* as a who-dunnit mystery, with clues (like the culprit knowing that Hiromi is male) and questionable red herrings scattered about, and Satoru doing some research and investigating in the present time. In other words, Erased's *presentation* and general premise are leading the majority of people to confront the show as what's supposed to be a well-thought out murder mystery. So it's not right to place the fault with the audience. It's true the murder mystery isn't the only aspect, but it's still an important part, given the show's presentation, and Erased simply hasn't been doing a good job in this department, assuming everyone's right about the teacher being the culprit.

Satoru hasn't been trying to find out who the killer is at all. He knows that one exists and is doing anything he can to prevent the murders. The viewer knows there is a killer but it hasn't been directly stated as to who it is. These are points that were established since the start.

You can argue that if it's obvious why not just say who it is from the beginning but the story is told from the point of view of Satoru, not the viewer. Since Satoru doesn't know the identity of the killer, there's no reason for us to know either. Regardless of how obvious it may be.

Satoru wasn't actively investigating, yes, but he did come across clues in the present timeline. Regarding the point-of-view argument, also yes, but that still doesn't justify writing a mystery in such an obvious, in-your-face fashion (the candy scene, for instance, was far too blatant; good writing has subtlety). It's possible to make this a compelling and interesting murder mystery and at the same time tackle the "why" and subplots/themes. Difficult? Yes, but that's why there's skill. And Erased is not demonstrating that skill to the fullest, and so it's not deserving of its current godly praise, in my opinion. A show with a rating and ranking like Erased should be excelling in all of its relevant areas, without compromising on any of them (in this case, Erased is somewhat sacrificing its murder mystery aspect, which is an established part of the show - again, not the only part, maybe not even the most important part, but an important part nonetheless).

Also, you didn't address all my points. Basically, I just take issue with your claim that people have the "wrong" expectations for Erased, without considering that the show's marketing, presentation, genre, and premise are *leading* the audience to treat it at least partially as a who-dunnit murder mystery. Are you going to say that it's entirely the fault of the audience for having these reasonable expectations, and not place any fault with the anime itself?

EDIT: Well, to be fair, my first paragraph only holds water if the mystery actually does turn out to be underwhelming. So for now, all we can do is wait and see. My second paragraph still stands though.
LightBladeNovaMar 5, 2016 4:46 AM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 5, 2016 4:25 AM

Jun 2015
Didn't Satoru ever consider that, if he manages to save all the victims of the killer, he might just kill others? Or that he even may be targeted himself?
Mar 5, 2016 5:02 AM

Jun 2014
LightBladeNova said:
Avaritia- said:

Satoru wasn't actively investigating, yes, but he did come across clues in the present timeline. Regarding the point-of-view argument, also yes, but that still doesn't justify writing a mystery in such an obvious, in-your-face fashion (the candy scene, for instance, was far too blatant; good writing has subtlety). It's possible to make this a compelling and interesting murder mystery and at the same time tackle the "why" and subplots/themes. Difficult? Yes, but that's why there's skill. And Erased is not demonstrating that skill to the fullest, and so it's not deserving of its current godly praise, in my opinion. A show with a rating and ranking like Erased should be excelling in all of its relevant areas, without compromising on any of them (in this case, Erased is somewhat sacrificing its murder mystery aspect, which is an established part of the show - again, not the only part, maybe not even the most important part, but an important part nonetheless).

Also, you didn't address all my points. Basically, I just take issue with your claim that people have the "wrong" expectations for Erased, without considering that the show's marketing, presentation, genre, and premise are *leading* the audience to treat it at least partially as a who-dunnit murder mystery. Are you going to say that it's entirely the fault of the audience for having these reasonable expectations, and not place any fault with the anime itself?

EDIT: Well, to be fair, my first paragraph only holds water if the mystery actually does turn out to be underwhelming. So for now, all we can do is wait and see. My second paragraph still stands though.

You are right when you say there's no subtlety but you can use the lack of subtlety as a reason for it not being the main focus. It was never marketed as the type of mystery where the main character is out to figure out who did it.

If you were someone who was looking for a new series to watch for the upcoming season 3 months ago, you would most likely try to figure out what said series is about before watching it to see if it suits your interests. If someone came across Erased, they would probably watch the preview trailers and read the synopsis. Neither of which lead you to believe that the story will follow the direction of a typical who did it type of murder mystery.

This show doesn't have multiple suspects presented to the viewer. There aren't clues suggesting suspect x, y or z could be the killer. Instead, a direct approach is used where all the clues given are pointed to the only obvious choice presented. Based on that, one should be able to infer that the show's priority isn't about giving us the identity of the killer. Without the who did it aspect, the mystery element still remains.
AvaritiaMar 5, 2016 5:10 AM
Mar 5, 2016 5:47 AM

Jul 2014
Avaritia- said:
LightBladeNova said:

You are right when you say there's no subtlety but you can use the lack of subtlety as a reason for it not being the main focus. It was never marketed as the type of mystery where the main character is out to figure out who did it.

If you were someone who was looking for a new series to watch for the upcoming season 3 months ago, you would most likely try to figure out what said series is about before watching it to see if it suits your interests. If someone came across Erased, they would probably watch the preview trailers and read the synopsis. Neither of which lead you to believe that the story will follow the direction of a typical who did it type of murder mystery.

This show doesn't have multiple suspects presented to the viewer. There aren't clues suggesting suspect x, y or z could be the killer. Instead, a direct approach is used where all the clues given are pointed to the only obvious choice presented. Based on that, one should be able to infer that the show's priority isn't about giving us the identity of the killer. Without the who did it aspect, the mystery element still remains.

I guess that's how you saw the synopsis/premise/trailers then, but apparently a lot of people will feel disappointed (and understandably so) if the mystery turns out that obvious, judging by all the speculation in the discussions. So are you saying yours is the "right" perspective? That the rest of us are to blame for having expectations of a well-thought out murder mystery, that it's our fault if the mystery resolution turns out to be underwhelming? Are you going to take that high position?

True that the show's priority isn't about the identity of the killer, but I don't think that should be used as an excuse. It's on such a low priority that it just comes off as lazy writing that doesn't even attempt to create a more engaging mystery. You argue that it's okay to not give this much focus, and for an average anime I'd agree with you, but this is a show with a 9.14 rating at #5. So it's just disappointing and underwhelming, if the mystery turns out so simple. It's not difficult to see why people would look at it that way, right? This is because of Erased's presentation premise that there is an unknown killer on the loose, and so naturally, that will lead people to speculate. Heck, there's a dedicated "Who is the killer?" thread on these forums, too, with people criticizing the mystery element and understandably considering it a writing flaw.
LightBladeNovaMar 5, 2016 5:56 AM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 5, 2016 5:56 AM

Nov 2011
Well, I can see the score drop fast now when the series end.

Mar 5, 2016 7:57 AM

Jun 2014
LightBladeNova said:
Avaritia- said:

I guess that's how you saw the synopsis/premise/trailers then, but apparently a lot of people will feel disappointed (and understandably so) if the mystery turns out that obvious, judging by all the speculation in the discussions. So are you saying yours is the "right" perspective? That the rest of us are to blame for having expectations of a well-thought out murder mystery, that it's our fault if the mystery resolution turns out to be underwhelming? Are you going to take that high position?

True that the show's priority isn't about the identity of the killer, but I don't think that should be used as an excuse. It's on such a low priority that it just comes off as lazy writing that doesn't even attempt to create a more engaging mystery. You argue that it's okay to not give this much focus, and for an average anime I'd agree with you, but this is a show with a 9.14 rating at #5. So it's just disappointing and underwhelming, if the mystery turns out so simple. It's not difficult to see why people would look at it that way, right? This is because of Erased's presentation premise that there is an unknown killer on the loose, and so naturally, that will lead people to speculate. Heck, there's a dedicated "Who is the killer?" thread on these forums, too, with people criticizing the mystery element and understandably considering it a writing flaw.

I'm not saying my point of view is the only and correct way to see things. What I'm saying is that there is more to the story than simply wondering the "who." I don't think it's fair to call it bad/lazy writing just because there is no complexity in the build up to who the killer is. If the whole point of the series was to find out the killer and things were laid out as they have been, then yeah I'd consider it bad writing. There is way more going on than that and it's been made quite clear that his identity takes a back seat to everything else.
Mar 5, 2016 8:11 AM

Jul 2014
Avaritia- said:
LightBladeNova said:

I'm not saying my point of view is the only and correct way to see things. What I'm saying is that there is more to the story than simply wondering the "who." I don't think it's fair to call it bad/lazy writing just because there is no complexity in the build up to who the killer is. If the whole point of the series was to find out the killer and things were laid out as they have been, then yeah I'd consider it bad writing. There is way more going on than that and it's been made quite clear that his identity takes a back seat to everything else.

Fair enough. Though, I also said that the murder mystery is not the only aspect of the story, and that it's not even the most important part; but it's still important. And that's why as partly a mystery, I consider Erased to have pretty lackluster writing, and shoving this aspect to the sidelines is something I would consider worthy of legitimate criticism. But sure, we can agree to disagree on this. We'll find out next week anyway (probably) what people's reactions are like to the culprit reveal.

Mar 5, 2016 8:21 AM
Jul 2018
I thought Kayo was going to be the main focus until the last episode but it seems Satoru's attention is now on Aya? and Hiromi...at least Kayo is saved but I was hoping for a more emotional goodbye, idk. The fact this anime is #5 still amazes me...I think the score will start dropping from now onwards.
Mar 5, 2016 8:47 AM

Jun 2013
LightBladeNova said:
Avaritia- said:
I'm an anime only viewer but it seems like the majority of people have the wrong expectations for this series.

Everyone is saying that the killer is obvious as if the whole point of the show is to figure out who he is. I mean yeah I could be wrong but evidence says otherwise. The mangaka made it a point to make things so blatantly obvious. The viewer isn't meant to be spending a lot of time trying to figure out who the killer is.

Rather than thinking about the "Who?" you should be asking "Why?" What are his reasons for kidnapping innocent kids and killing them? What purpose does it serve? How did he get away with it?

This series was nominated for a Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize and placed second in the Manga Taishō awards. I doubt that translate into poor writing. Just because this series doesn't fulfill your needs for a mystery manga. The main focus of the story is how Satoru can reverse the events of the past, regardless of who the culprit was and whether or not he/she was predictable from the get go. Then again, that's my input on how this series should be interpreted. Your opinion is not above anyone else's.
臭い-
Mar 5, 2016 9:02 AM
Feb 2016
Anyone who complains about the "mystery" aspect of this show needs to do one of two things.

1) Stop watching.

2) Re-watch all the episodes.

There's no middle ground. This isn't Detective Conan, in that show the murder has already happened, and you have to figure out "who" and "how". In Erased the mystery is in the "how" and "why". The thrill and suspense comes from trying to prevent a murder. Satoru knowing who the murderer was from episode 1 wouldn't change a single thing because he'd still have to try and stay one step ahead of the culprit and gather clues to revealing his identity.

Again, if that is too hard for people to understand than either re-watch all the episodes to gain an understanding of what the show is all about, or drop it entirely and go watch something else.
Mar 5, 2016 10:08 AM

Jul 2015
Sourire said:
this ending will be so rushed its a shame
maybe they will release an ova or something like that or or perhaps a movie like. What we saw in kyoukai no kanata
Mar 5, 2016 10:39 AM
Jan 2016
Harrymanhunter said:
PantsOnHead said:

The anime wasn't trying to make you feel for the mother. Did you not listen to Satoru?

"I bet those tears were out of self-pity. Kayo wasn't moved either."

The script was trying to make you hate the mother even more. Her personality is tumblr in a nutshell.
The Anime tried to make us hate her and yet feel pity for her by giving us a laughable reason like that. Victimizing for the sake of character development is..yeah, meh. Besides, she's still a one-dimensional character and doesn't invoke any sort of emotion or reaction from me. No character in the Anime does.

I'm merely waiting for the Anime to end and then pass my full judgement on it. That is all.

Again, the anime wasn't trying to make you feel pity for her. Didn't I already explain this?

Y'know what? Its obvious you've already made up your mind. Whether you wait until the anime is finished to "pass your full judgment on it" is irrelevent. You're just waiting until it ends so that you can pretend to be "reasonable" and "objective".
Mar 5, 2016 10:57 AM
Nov 2013
An okay episode, i think.. that doesn't mean i dislike it.. it just ok..
the pacing of this episode is nicely done.. but i'm so afraid this rush pacing will lead to unsatisfied ending.. hopefully it going to be fine!
Mar 5, 2016 11:02 AM

May 2015
pretty good episode actually; pretty weird shit with the teacher
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 5, 2016 11:06 AM

May 2012
Avaritia- said:
LightBladeNova said:

Even the worst you can find of crime fiction have who, why and how...Erased isn't any different than any other series in this matter.
Mar 5, 2016 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
ChainxBastard said:
Anyone who complains about the "mystery" aspect of this show needs to do one of two things.

1) Stop watching.

2) Re-watch all the episodes.

There's no middle ground. This isn't Detective Conan, in that show the murder has already happened, and you have to figure out "who" and "how". In Erased the mystery is in the "how" and "why". The thrill and suspense comes from trying to prevent a murder. Satoru knowing who the murderer was from episode 1 wouldn't change a single thing because he'd still have to try and stay one step ahead of the culprit and gather clues to revealing his identity.

Again, if that is too hard for people to understand than either re-watch all the episodes to gain an understanding of what the show is all about, or drop it entirely and go watch something else.

Whut? If satoru knew abt the murderer in ep 1, he had to still wait for the second revival? Wouldn't he then have managed to not to break first revival rules?lmao XD
Mar 5, 2016 11:32 AM

Jul 2014
Bibimbapski said:
LightBladeNova said:

This series was nominated for a Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize and placed second in the Manga Taishō awards. I doubt that translate into poor writing. Just because this series doesn't fulfill your needs for a mystery manga. The main focus of the story is how Satoru can reverse the events of the past, regardless of who the culprit was and whether or not he/she was predictable from the get go. Then again, that's my input on how this series should be interpreted. Your opinion is not above anyone else's.

I never meant to suggest that my opinion is above anyone else's. Sorry if it came off that way. However, I doubt I'm alone in thinking that if the teacher turns out to be the culprit (or even if he isn't and it's some random guy we haven't seen yet), then there'll be understandable disappointment in the underwhelming mystery. You can look up most discussions on Erased and you'll find people saying something like that. Is it difficult to see why people would be disappointed? Also, because something receives an award, that makes my criticisms (and many other people's criticisms) of it invalid? I don't think so.

@ChainXBastard: "knowing who the murderer was from episode 1" + "gather clues to revealing his identity" = contradiction. I think you probably meant proof that Satoru really knows who the murderer is. And sure, you can argue that the primary focus is the "why" and "how", and I can respect that perspective, but again, is it so difficult to see why people would be disappointed in such an obvious and underwhelming culprit reveal? Are you going to blame them for that? I don't think it's right to fault the audience and suggest that there's absolutely nothing worth criticizing about the mystery aspect in Erased.
LightBladeNovaMar 5, 2016 11:39 AM

Mar 5, 2016 12:27 PM

Mar 2014
wow we are in episode 9! I really like the pacing of the anime compared of the manga but it just really 3 episodes left (and still much stuff left).

I believe that they gonna change everything from this point (original content/new route/FMA style/what-ever-u-call-it) in order to finish them in 12 episodes. Yes, they said that the anime gonna have the same ending as the manga, but if they only refer to the chapter 44 then it can fit in the last 5 to 10 minutes -or even less lol- of the episde 12.

looking foward on march 24th.
Mar 5, 2016 12:56 PM

Apr 2015
She's finally saved! I hope the rescue for other two won't be rushed episodes.
Mar 5, 2016 1:13 PM
Aug 2015
BoboSmrad said:

Given that the pacing has been on point for the whole series (they rush plotlines that are less important while not making them seem rushed to a non manga reader), I think that they can fit the next 2 arcs into 3 or 4 episodes as they're both very short arcs. The next arc will probably take 2 episodes and can be cut down so as to not seem rushed the one after that will only need 1 episode if they do it well. If this is a 13 episode anime then they have more than enough space to fit everything in and give it enough time.
Mar 5, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2015
0celot said:
BoboSmrad said:

Given that the pacing has been on point for the whole series (they rush plotlines that are less important while not making them seem rushed to a non manga reader), I think that they can fit the next 2 arcs into 3 or 4 episodes as they're both very short arcs. The next arc will probably take 2 episodes and can be cut down so as to not seem rushed the one after that will only need 1 episode if they do it well. If this is a 13 episode anime then they have more than enough space to fit everything in and give it enough time.

It's only a 12 episode show.
Mar 5, 2016 3:32 PM

Aug 2008
Very strong episode indeed. Glad to see some drastic changes in some of the characters this episode, especially the mother breakdown scene. The second part of the episode felt super weird to me. Is Satoru delusional or something? He put such an importance in dealing with Hinazuki's case that when it came to the 2 other kids he acted irrational, or even stupid if you may say. What made him think that if he made it hard for the killer to abduct them, the killer won't just switch to some other targets that he knows nothing about? Oh well, overall it felt like grand, dynamic and impacting episode that put a closure to Hinazuki's drama.

And dang it A-1... Put a little more effort with the animation. An anime of this caliber doesn't deserve all those mistakes... You showed some great camera play and not as bad visuals in this episode, but looking at the big picture, quite a lot of things need to be changed/fixed for the Blu-Rays. *fingers crossed* they put some extra budged in BD edits.

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Mar 5, 2016 3:56 PM

Jul 2013
Tfw someone finds massive stash of candy in your car...
Mar 5, 2016 5:14 PM

Mar 2013
goodbye Kayo :(
so her mother was abuse and the depression lead her to abuse Kayo,
wonder what happened with the mother after Kayo left.

damn you for messing with us about the candies,
and again i have bad feelings about the girl sitting next to Satoru.
i think Satoru should focus more on finding the killer then talk
to that girl since the killer can always trigger another kid....

3 episodes left :) .
NisxMar 5, 2016 5:20 PM
Mar 5, 2016 7:43 PM

Jul 2015
hmmmm.
more i think about it, I think After Story is still a better anime.
Unless this anime has an outstanding ending, I think this will take the number 2 spot on my list, in between RK: Trust and Betrayal and After Story.
Mar 5, 2016 9:24 PM

Apr 2014
Kayo better stay alive! Idc this niggah can kill all the rest as long as she makes it lmao, I can't handle it if she dies again xD. I have a feeling the next 3 episodes are gonna be intense, can't wait! This shit better get a dub or i'm gonna bug out, I need to own this! I don't want it, I NEED IT xD
Mar 5, 2016 9:55 PM

Sep 2014
PantsOnHead said:
Harrymanhunter said:
The Anime tried to make us hate her and yet feel pity for her by giving us a laughable reason like that. Victimizing for the sake of character development is..yeah, meh. Besides, she's still a one-dimensional character and doesn't invoke any sort of emotion or reaction from me. No character in the Anime does.

I'm merely waiting for the Anime to end and then pass my full judgement on it. That is all.

Again, the anime wasn't trying to make you feel pity for her. Didn't I already explain this?

Y'know what? Its obvious you've already made up your mind. Whether you wait until the anime is finished to "pass your full judgment on it" is irrelevent. You're just waiting until it ends so that you can pretend to be "reasonable" and "objective".
Lol alright mate.
Mar 5, 2016 10:06 PM

Jun 2013
This show definitely doesn't deserve a 9.x score. 7.5 ~ 8.0 should be fair enough.

Seriously, how can there be masterpieces like Tatami Galaxy with 8.6 and average stuff like this with 9+?

People are crazy.
Murasa22Mar 5, 2016 10:13 PM
Mar 6, 2016 12:45 AM

Jan 2014
ayumuzz said:
This show definitely doesn't deserve a 9.x score. 7.5 ~ 8.0 should be fair enough.

Seriously, how can there be masterpieces like Tatami Galaxy with 8.6 and average stuff like this with 9+?

People are crazy.

Jeez... people nowadays cannot like something new, am i rite?
Mar 6, 2016 2:08 AM

Mar 2016
kayo.why are you go when the situation was so perfect
Mar 6, 2016 4:19 AM

Feb 2015
dem feels when Satoru running after the car ...
Mar 6, 2016 4:46 AM

Feb 2012
After the teacher's advice to Satoru on how to approach a girl he doesn't know, then seeing a stash of candy, SUSPICIOUS MUCH? And why was he also in that area when he offered them a ride? Feels like he's also checking up on the other girl's routine. And it can't be coincidence that after Satoru tells the teacher about Kayo's hideout in the abandoned bus, eveything inside clears out. Well, that's just my opinion and theory that he might be the killer.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Mar 6, 2016 4:49 AM

Mar 2014
good episode. although reading people's comments who already read the manga makes me worry a lot of this anime's ending. they still have a lot of chapters to translate and they only have 3 episodes left. hope they dont ruin this great anime just because of poor planning
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?
Mar 6, 2016 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
Yashiro cannot be the murderer but I think Hinazuki's husband may do.

Back to the present time: we already know who the killer was.

It's obiously someone who know them during the cry scene, Hinazuki didn't cry with them. Saturo noticed it too.
removed-userMar 6, 2016 5:50 AM
Mar 6, 2016 8:42 AM

Oct 2008
This episode is basically "calm before the storm"
OK, 1 down, 2 more to go!
It was satisfying to see that Kayo was finally saved for the better good.
What's-up with those Candies/LOLIpops? Dagashi Kashi!? hahah
Kenya still perceptive as ever!
All this time I thought Hiromi was a girl but a guy!? more like a young gay for holding hands with Satoru...
Whatsup with that girl on the last scene?!?
5/5.

Mar 6, 2016 9:57 AM
Feb 2016
LightBladeNova said:
Bibimbapski said:

I never meant to suggest that my opinion is above anyone else's. Sorry if it came off that way. However, I doubt I'm alone in thinking that if the teacher turns out to be the culprit (or even if he isn't and it's some random guy we haven't seen yet), then there'll be understandable disappointment in the underwhelming mystery. You can look up most discussions on Erased and you'll find people saying something like that. Is it difficult to see why people would be disappointed? Also, because something receives an award, that makes my criticisms (and many other people's criticisms) of it invalid? I don't think so.

@ChainXBastard: "knowing who the murderer was from episode 1" + "gather clues to revealing his identity" = contradiction. I think you probably meant proof that Satoru really knows who the murderer is. And sure, you can argue that the primary focus is the "why" and "how", and I can respect that perspective, but again, is it so difficult to see why people would be disappointed in such an obvious and underwhelming culprit reveal? Are you going to blame them for that? I don't think it's right to fault the audience and suggest that there's absolutely nothing worth criticizing about the mystery aspect in Erased.

That's not a contradiction as you already explained.

And yes, I have to fault the audience for their preconceived notions of what makes a "mystery" show. That's the problem anyone faces when they allow their perceptions to dominate over the reality of the situation, which then breeds disappointment.

Again, this isn't Detective Conan, and I know for a fact that there are, or have been, many viewers who began watching the show and wanted it to "be" like it, when it absolutely isn't.

Same thing with people comparing it to Stein's Gate, when it's nothing like it at all.
Mar 6, 2016 10:38 AM

Dec 2012
I'm happy that she is finally free, but I will miss her :/.
Rhe hunt continues to find the killer, the teacher is so suspect
Mar 6, 2016 10:59 AM

Sep 2015
The mother is the best from all the serie. But also is a fucking demon. How ambiguous
Mar 6, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2014
ChainxBastard said:
LightBladeNova said:

That's not a contradiction as you already explained.

And yes, I have to fault the audience for their preconceived notions of what makes a "mystery" show. That's the problem anyone faces when they allow their perceptions to dominate over the reality of the situation, which then breeds disappointment.

Again, this isn't Detective Conan, and I know for a fact that there are, or have been, many viewers who began watching the show and wanted it to "be" like it, when it absolutely isn't.

Same thing with people comparing it to Stein's Gate, when it's nothing like it at all.

That's quite a lofty position to take, but okay...

And your original statement was the contradiction, because of your wording. But whatever.

Mar 6, 2016 12:11 PM

Apr 2012

you could probably assume that the scene was long after the crew vacated the classroom, and that the scene wasn't an immediate transition from when they left the room

Mar 6, 2016 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
Given in consideration about the manga readers... I think the episode was alright however the pacing for the show was just rather eh...

Here's the thing.
I never felt bad for the mother at all.
Although I still think for the mystery, its kind of lacking.
At the same time I am not really sure.

The series could have been so much better if it was 24 episodes, or essentially 20. 20 Because as far as I'm concerned it has 44 chapters out.
Mar 6, 2016 6:50 PM

Jun 2007
I made a video thing.
https://youtu.be/QAVz6Ig2u-U

Anyway, Episode 5 is where the show really lost it's potential as far as I'm concerned and now ep 9 just made it so every ending possible is a stupid one. I know I shouldn't watch it if I don't like it but it's still entertaining because the directing is mostly pretty good so it's not like I hate it.

At least Kayo's mom got...well no, nothing even happened to her they even tried making her a 'victim' and humanizing her after making her cartoonishly evil even laughing and being so happy after her own child was murdered in other timelines. I really love what they try to do in this show but every time it ends up falling flat on it's face. You can make a character be horrible and abusive while still maintaining humanity, but instead this woman was shown to be outright evil - not just misguided, damaged, and terrible, but EVIL. Nobody who laughs at the death of their own child can be turned into a victim later on and there's no reason to "explain" her actions when you aren't going for that sympathy pull either, so no matter what this is either a total fucking waste of time or a completely retarded attempt at victimizing this woman.

Also a lot of animation problems lately, especially that "boot print" last time and now this episode Satoru's mom magically healing her wound in seconds just show the quality hit this show's taken in the recent episodes.

I also don't get all this conversation STILL going on about figuring out/manga readers knowing who the killer is, the show already presented the killer to us and said who it was, it's not even a mystery. I don't mean it "heavily implied" - it literally outright told us who the killer is way back at episode 5 or 6 during the present-day stuff, that was never meant to be a question or a mystery element and if it was then there's even more problems with the writing than the inevitably really stupid conclusion. I'll never understand this part of the fandom of this show. Am I missing something? I see people everywhere having this same discussion and it's never made sense, I mean the problem as far as I can tell is in the writing itself because no matter how it plays out it's going to be nonsense. If the teacher is the killer then, what, did he get a face change somehow, change his name, and get into politics without anyone finding out he's using a false identity? That'd be fucking stupid. And if it's not him, then there's no mystery in that aspect (not that it ever felt like it was the focus at all) still because the viewer never got to see anyone who it could possibly be aside him and so it would be impossible to find out. Then there's the "It's Satoru" theories which I wish were true just to see the hilarious shitjob trying to explain that would end up as.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the subtlety of anything in this? It kind of dropped off after episode 1.
TallonKarrde23Mar 6, 2016 10:16 PM
Mar 6, 2016 7:51 PM
Dec 2012
I've always thought that the teacher was really suspicious since the beginning of the show especially since it started hinting that the murderer was someone he might know. My theory so far with this episode is that the teacher is Airi's father who was mistakenly accused of stealing and whose wife did not believe that he didnt do it and his life was essentially destroyed. He murders the children and frames other people in order to have other people feel what its like to not be believed and to be falsely accused. In the previous towns murders he has the father of one of the murdered children take the blame which resonates more with his own situation than the other towns murders, probably since its the first town in the chain of murders.I think he may be making satoru his next scapegoat because he started getting close to Airi which he found out through the news after satoru saved that kid from the truck in the first episode since after that the criminal seemed to pay more attention to him (shopping scene with his mother in the first episode where little kid almost gets kidnapped) leading to the murder of satoru's mother and the start of it all.
Mar 6, 2016 8:26 PM

Nov 2012
Badalight said:
Hiromi was confirmed a boy in episode 1 and it was literally a plot point that he was a feminine looking boy in episode 5...

I might've gotten it mixed up, but iirc, Satoru stated that the murderer killed Hiromi because he knew he was a girl, or something. I would have to watch it again, can't recall to well. Yeah, I'm confused.
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
Mar 6, 2016 9:35 PM
Mar 2012
UsaraDark said:
Badalight said:
Hiromi was confirmed a boy in episode 1 and it was literally a plot point that he was a feminine looking boy in episode 5...

I might've gotten it mixed up, but iirc, Satoru stated that the murderer killed Hiromi because he knew he was a girl, or something. I would have to watch it again, can't recall to well. Yeah, I'm confused.

No... you're getting it all mixed up. He killed Hiromi because Hiromi LOOKS like a girl. Ergo, someone who didn't know Hiromi personally could possibly think he's a girl. Satoru said the murderer probably did this to get suspicion off of him. If he didn't know Hiromi was a boy, that means all of his suspects (in his mind) were girls. But from Satoru's sentence, we know that the murderer DID know Hiromi was a boy, and only killed him to make the police think he didn't know this fact.

So in the scenario that it's the teacher, he knows Hiromi's gender. He normally only kills girls, but months later when the police start to suspect him, he kills Hiromi because it makes it look like the murderer wasn't close to Hiromi.

It's really cut and dry.
Mar 7, 2016 12:55 AM

Jan 2008
Jesus Christ in heaven, this anime slowly, but surely destroys itself. The writing in this episode was so atrociously bad it almost made me cry (or laugh, I don't really know).

I was really zealous at first, because the early episodes were kinda noteworthy, so as the directing, but after Satoru's second time travel to 88, it went downhill relatively fast. And the lolmagic time travel method is still a painful plot device.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Mar 7, 2016 1:06 AM

Mar 2011
Another interesting episode.

The teacher seems so damn obvious though, I am expecting some new twist to come along.
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Mar 7, 2016 4:30 AM
Jan 2012
Am I the only one who think of
, culprit from Persona 4. They role are both the same, insider who look useless, harmless, but giving clues to protagonist a lot, and finally reveal as the culprit.
Even their clothes are the same (business suit with tie).
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2016

1400 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

1108 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2016

769 by Jocku »»
Apr 17, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2016

900 by bakakisima »»
Apr 12, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2016

581 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 12:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.