Forum Settings
Forums

'Bakemono no Ko' Wins Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year

New
Mar 4, 2016 6:25 AM

Jul 2009
The Japan Academy Prize Association announced during a ceremony on Friday that the 2015 original anime movie Bakemono no Ko is the winner of the Animation of the Year award.

The movie was nominated alongside Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda., Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai, Dragon Ball Z Movie 15: Fukkatsu no F, and Love Live! The School Idol Movie in January. Nominated works must have opened in theaters in Japan between December 14, 2014 and December 15, 2015.

Bakemono no Ko opened in theaters in Japan last July. According to the Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan, the movie earned 5.85 billion yen to become the second highest grossing domestic movie of 2015. FUNimation Entertainment has licensed it for release in North America under the title The Boy and the Beast, with screenings in select theaters beginning on March 4.

The movie is the fourth work by director Mamoru Hosoda to win the award. Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (2006), Summer Wars (2009), and Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (2012) previously won the award.

Source: Official site

← Previous year
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Mar 4, 2016 6:27 AM
Mar 2011
its an ok movie over all an worty winner
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 4, 2016 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
Grats to the winner. I heard mixed thoughts about the movie but will definitely give it a try in the future.
Mar 4, 2016 6:28 AM

Mar 2015
studio chizu must be floating on money. it's their first idependent movie, and they are succesful. can't wait what their next series. also can't wait the sub for this series!

how about TV series winner?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 4, 2016 6:32 AM

Jul 2009
Kuma said:

Japan Academy Prize only gives awards to movies. It's Japan's equivalent of the Oscars of the Academy Awards.
Mar 4, 2016 6:33 AM

Nov 2007
So I was right:

shanimebib said:
I will be damned if Love Live doesn't win. But recalling how K-On! missed out due to From Up on Poppy Hill, I am expecting Bakemono no Ko to do the same.

Aesthetically and from cinematographic point of view, K-On! Movie is head and shoulder above Love Live! Movie but I loved both movies almost equally because of the characters. So, I will hope Love Live! actually get some recognition from the critics. :)

Eagerly waiting for Bakemono no Ko!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 4, 2016 6:35 AM

Mar 2015
arsonal said:
Kuma said:

Japan Academy Prize only gives awards to movies. It's Japan's equivalent of the Oscars of the Academy Awards.
eh, this is different from previous awards anounced before? sorry my mistake. the nomination almost same.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 4, 2016 6:36 AM

Jun 2013
Meh. This movie was nothing special. This probably got it since hosoda's reputation from previous films.

Sums up the Sad year for anime films.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Mar 4, 2016 6:37 AM

Jun 2015
I can't wait to watch this movie.
:)
Mar 4, 2016 6:41 AM

Sep 2015
Well I was guessing it was either Dragon Ball or Bakemono no Ko back then. Anyway nice to see it won the award.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Mar 4, 2016 6:43 AM

Jul 2009
Kuma said:
eh, this is different from previous awards anounced before? sorry my mistake. the nomination almost same.

This is the result of this nomination list.
Mar 4, 2016 6:59 AM

Mar 2014
Noice

Can't wait for Bakemono no Ko to be released on kissanime
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 4, 2016 7:12 AM

Mar 2014
So basically everything Hosoda has made won this award now (at least since Animation of the Year started being awaraded).

Outside of Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda I don't think this had much competition anyway. Excited to see both of them.
Mar 4, 2016 7:23 AM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Noice

Not sure if baiting or just plain stupid ._.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
Mar 4, 2016 7:26 AM

Aug 2008
Have't watch this movie yet. Now looking forward even more.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 4, 2016 7:29 AM

Mar 2014
Iizbakaokay said:
Comic_Sans said:
Noice

Why would I try to bait anyone?

I neither have the possibility to buy anime nor do I want to so obviously I am going to have to wait until it gets released on kissanime
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 4, 2016 7:29 AM
Mar 2011
Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai is over all the better movie but bakeko is is fine movie over all they would hav been my best choices
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 4, 2016 8:54 AM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Iizbakaokay said:

I neither have the possibility to buy anime nor do I want to so obviously I am going to have to wait until it gets released on kissanime

You do realize KA just torrents it from other sources?

Maybe we shouldn't have this conversation in the first place but anyway since you seem to be uninformed (or a great troll which I am pretty confident you are) KA will gladly steal from another stealing group.

So it's fair to say if any fansubbing group is going to pick it up I am going to torrent it. Well whatever you prefer to use, I do not care much. (KA will probably be slower as they add gimmicks to the original file as well)
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
Mar 4, 2016 8:59 AM

Mar 2014
Iizbakaokay said:
Comic_Sans said:

You do realize KA just torrents it from other sources?

Maybe we shouldn't have this conversation in the first place but anyway since you seem to be uninformed (or a great troll which I am pretty confident you are) KA will gladly steal from another stealing group.

So it's fair to say if any fansubbing group is going to pick it up I am going to torrent it. Well whatever you prefer to use, I do not care much. (KA will probably be slower as they add gimmicks to the original file as well)
Yes, and I don't care
Nico- said:
Mar 4, 2016 11:34 AM

Jun 2014
Wow, awesome

Can't wait watch this movie soon as possible
Mar 4, 2016 1:09 PM

Apr 2014
I need to watch it. NOW.
Mar 4, 2016 1:11 PM

Jan 2009
congrats, looking forward to watching it
Mar 4, 2016 1:30 PM

Jul 2012
Been wanting to watch this for months.
Mar 4, 2016 1:38 PM

Mar 2016
Cant wait to watch this!
Mar 4, 2016 3:49 PM
Jan 2016
Congrats to Bakemono no Ko! Anyway, I will watch this movie. I was hoping Love Live Movie to win but I guess µ's can't take all awards lol.
Mar 4, 2016 4:00 PM

Feb 2013
Sad Love Live didn't win :( but cant say much, I have yet to see this movie and see If it was worth to win or not :)

Mar 4, 2016 5:08 PM

Nov 2013
i've been intrigued about this since it was first announced

subs when
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 4, 2016 5:18 PM

Oct 2014
Well I was expecting Love live to win ... Definitely gonna watch this one when it gets sub.
Mar 4, 2016 5:21 PM

Sep 2011
Surprised it won the reward when I've heard so many mixed feelings on it.
Mar 4, 2016 9:48 PM

Jul 2012
nice, it's been showing in select theatres in Australia over the weekend, so I might go see it tomorrow!
Mar 4, 2016 11:54 PM

Dec 2014
You know they are right calling him the next Miyazaki, because people will like his movies unconditionally, much like Pixar before Disney bought it.
Mar 5, 2016 1:17 AM

Feb 2014
I had a feeling that 'Bakemono no Ko' would win cuz it was DAMN amazing so it deserves it.
Mar 5, 2016 10:54 AM

Oct 2007
Paulo27 said:
So basically everything Hosoda has made won this award now (at least since Animation of the Year started being awaraded).

Outside of Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterunda I don't think this had much competition anyway. Excited to see both of them.

Miss Hokusai has been racking up the awards and is supposed to be very very good. It's the one I want to see most. After Bakemono and Hokusai there's a pretty huge gap between mainstream acceptance and the other nominees which are more late night anime type affairs so realistically it was always between those two. Actually DBZ is pretty widely recognized, just not by academy types.
PeacingOutMar 5, 2016 10:59 AM
Mar 5, 2016 11:55 AM

Dec 2012
Good. I think he is the best movie director.
Mar 5, 2016 12:41 PM

Nov 2015
Not a lot of hype for films this year but I still plan on watching all the nominations.
Mar 5, 2016 11:35 PM
Mar 2012
Nice, just watched it today.
Mar 6, 2016 1:42 AM

Oct 2012
Well looks like i need to watch now. Thanks internet :D.

More topics from this board

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
48 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
4 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

11 by MantaRaydiated »»
Yesterday, 10:50 AM

» 'Hitoribocchi no Isekai Kouryaku' Unveils Production Staff, Additional Cast, Teaser Promo for Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Apr 21

4 by Azuchi »»
Yesterday, 4:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.