Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 2, 2016 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
AllenVonStein said:
Salad said:
but it doesn't take one to realise new technology is going to be embraced more so than the older one.

that's not true most Europeans drive manual-gear cars , why they didn't embrace new technology lol

I mean i live in england, so i do see manual regularly, it's just the culture i guess, we just haven't adapted to automatic transmission to the degree of america. The mentality here atleast is that if you can get a manual license you can drive anything.

Hoppy said:
Salad said:
I'm not American, but it doesn't take one to realise new technology is going to be embraced more so than the older one.

Self driving cars will only take off on the coasts and in some major cities in the South.

Well i guess there is that, but i was just going in terms of convenience.
『パイル』| Twitter
Mar 2, 2016 7:49 PM

Mar 2008
AllenVonStein said:
Salad said:
but it doesn't take one to realise new technology is going to be embraced more so than the older one.

that's not true most Europeans drive manual-gear cars , why they didn't embrace new technology lol

I already explained that earlier. Euopeans drive for pleasure more than Americans who drive for necessity.

Actually there is one factor I forgot. Where is the gear shift on European cars? Is it usually on the left ? Most people are right handed so maybe some people prefer their more coordinated arm on the wheel, which Americans cant do because they haave the drivers seat on opposite side.
traedMar 2, 2016 7:53 PM
Mar 2, 2016 9:41 PM

Sep 2009
Notaneko said:
MortalMelancholy said:
For your information, Americans can't drive an automatic car either. They really need to be kept off the road, period.

I never learned to drive. I thought there would be flying cars in 2000.

Its k, Google's working on them self driving cars.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 3, 2016 12:51 AM

May 2015
Maverick69 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Why is racism against Americans so well-accepted?

Who knows, definitely frustrating but it's based on the vocal minority of us Americans.

Personally I like a manual transmission for my car/truck. I have had 6 cars to date, 3 trucks and 3 cars. All the cars were sports cars: 95' Chevy Camaro Z28 with a 6sp, 06' Ford Mustang GT 5sp, 04' Subaru Impreza STi 6spd. My trucks where all automatics till I bought my new 16' ram 2500 Diesel with a 6sp and 4wd. I opted for the manual as the autos behind the diesels aren't reliable and cost a fortune to repair.

That brings up my second reason for owning a manual. A clutch replacement is much cheaper than a rebuild when they auto wears out.

Most people opt for autos since the daily commute is always littered with traffic. I have a company vehicle that I am in 4-6 hours daily and it's an auto. It would become physically tiring if it was a manual.

It's really hard to find vehicles over here that aren't autos. Back in the early 2000s when subaru Imprezas were super popular it was almost impossible to get one with an auto, now it's pretty easy to find.

Manuals are a dieing breed here in the states except in sports cars. There is only one light truck maker than still offers a manual and that's Ram. Hard to see alot of manuals out here when they don't mass produce them in the states. They use to be popular due to fuel economy difference but the autos have narrowed the gap considerably. Very long response

Yes, but if I call a bunch of people 'damn niggers' based on a minority of black people I'm an evil racist.

Look, racism is bad regardless of which people you direct to. You don't get any Morality Points or Coolness Points for disliking America. You only warn people you might infect them with your stupidity.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 3, 2016 7:21 AM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Maverick69 said:

Who knows, definitely frustrating but it's based on the vocal minority of us Americans.

Personally I like a manual transmission for my car/truck. I have had 6 cars to date, 3 trucks and 3 cars. All the cars were sports cars: 95' Chevy Camaro Z28 with a 6sp, 06' Ford Mustang GT 5sp, 04' Subaru Impreza STi 6spd. My trucks where all automatics till I bought my new 16' ram 2500 Diesel with a 6sp and 4wd. I opted for the manual as the autos behind the diesels aren't reliable and cost a fortune to repair.

That brings up my second reason for owning a manual. A clutch replacement is much cheaper than a rebuild when they auto wears out.

Most people opt for autos since the daily commute is always littered with traffic. I have a company vehicle that I am in 4-6 hours daily and it's an auto. It would become physically tiring if it was a manual.

It's really hard to find vehicles over here that aren't autos. Back in the early 2000s when subaru Imprezas were super popular it was almost impossible to get one with an auto, now it's pretty easy to find.

Manuals are a dieing breed here in the states except in sports cars. There is only one light truck maker than still offers a manual and that's Ram. Hard to see alot of manuals out here when they don't mass produce them in the states. They use to be popular due to fuel economy difference but the autos have narrowed the gap considerably. Very long response

Yes, but if I call a bunch of people 'damn niggers' based on a minority of black people I'm an evil racist.

Look, racism is bad regardless of which people you direct to. You don't get any Morality Points or Coolness Points for disliking America. You only warn people you might infect them with your stupidity.

I agree, I don't care for it but it's not something that will change because I don't like it. America is full of good people, the minority of the idiots get the most influence since they make the most noise.

I'd love to see that change but it would take some time for that to happen.
Mar 3, 2016 7:24 AM

Nov 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Maverick69 said:

It's only racism when white people do it.

But seriously though the whiter you are the more susceptible you are of being accused for being a racist..
Mar 3, 2016 9:32 AM

Jul 2014
GesuYarou said:

But seriously though the whiter you are the more susceptible you are of being accused for being a racist..

Because the more likely you are to actually be a racist, because of education and stuff, and the more chance there are you won't even realize it, or find it perfectly normal.
Mar 3, 2016 10:02 PM

May 2015
GesuYarou said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's amazing how close it is to "The blacker you are, the more suspectible you are of being accused of a crime".

But looking anti-racist is more important.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 3, 2016 10:03 PM

Nov 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
GesuYarou said:

It's amazing how close it is to "The blacker you are, the more suspectible you are of being accused of a crime".

But looking anti-racist is more important.

Yeah because Racism>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Heinous crimes.
Mar 3, 2016 11:58 PM

Apr 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Americans don't like Manual because Americans aren't stuck in 50s and 60s. We embrace new technology that makes our lives easier. It also explains why having a dish washer is standard.

There are advantages to owning a manual over an automatic, and this will become apparent once you've driven three types of cars: automatic, sequential automatic, and manual. Actually, I argue that you only need to drive the first two for an apparent difference, but I feel like you'll know more. The best part is, you don't have to be stuck in the '50s or '60s.

Outside of my hometown, there's a mountain that you have to pass over (not through, over) to get there before you hit flat plains of farm fields. The mountain is steep, so coming from the south, the road hits a 7% grade for half a mile, which means you will hit 90 MPH at the end of the slope if you don't use the brakes or select a lower gear. I have three cars: a 2002 Ford Taurus (automatic), a 2012 Genesis 4-Door (sequential auto), and a 2000 Maxima (manual). If you scale that grade properly, you don't have to hit the brakes in the Genesis or the Maxima, you just need to choose a lower gear. In the Genesis, you hit 5th gear before the car slows down drastically enough and you select that with the sequential mode. In the Maxima, clutch in, select 4th, clutch out, and you won't go over 60 MPH. Now in the Taurus, a conventional automatic, you have the normal setup: P-R-N-D-2-1. That means in order to scale that grade without using the brakes, you need to set it at 2 (2nd gear) or you can give up and just ride the brakes, which obviously wears down your brake pads, making you replace them more frequently. In the Taurus, I would not recommend putting it in 2nd, because that puts it at 4,000 RPM and you will need to apply some gas if you want to get to 50, so that option is out. That's one instance where a manual is beneficial, or its distant cousin the sequential auto. Engine braking is way more efficient if you can select the gears.

Another thing Maverick69 mentioned: it's beneficial to own a manual because a clutch replacement costs less than replacing the whole damn automatic transmission, which a mechanic can theoretically bend you over for $2,000+ depending on the model. I can buy a new clutch for my Maxima for $100 and a few hours of labor later, it'll be fine. Now you ask, "why is it that you don't need to replace the transmission?" A manual has much fewer moving parts and way more simple in setup than an automatic. Simplicity? Less moving parts? Yeah, two things that in this case increase reliability. On the other hand, when your automatic gets done in, you're really due for a replacement or a rebuild, no ifs ands or buts.

Sure, automatics are easier to use, but at the same time, they're really not as fun either. I tried manually selecting the gears in all three of my cars for the hell of it. In the Taurus, I rowed through 1 and 2 before I realized that 3 and 4 were in Drive, and even setting the gear was cumbersome so if you're thinking, "well you can just select the gear in an automatic just like you do in manual, no problem there--" stop. If that works, Nisekoi isn't a cliche manga. I tried it in the Genesis, then the problem there is you can't shift from 8 all the way down to 3 without rowing through 7-6-5-4 first. Not really engaging either, and even with a semi-auto that shifts quicker than average, you realize you could've done it quicker with a manual. So what's the deal with selecting your own gears? These days there's really nothing special about it, but for us gearheads who enjoy driving, being able to select our own gears is enjoyable because you feel like you have more control over your vehicle. Hell, you do. But who's keeping track.

And to answer the original question, I have one theory:

United States is a commuter society where near everyone drives. Cars in the U.S. are cheap and almost everyone has one or can at least drive one. Try that in Japan, I guarantee you that you don't need to cherry-pick the people who either haven't been in a car or haven't driven one because there's quite a few, no need for cars with kick-ass public transport. However, here in the U.S., daily-driving involves driving 40 miles from the suburbs into Los Angeles or San Francisco or Seattle and driving those 40 miles back. We spend TONS of time in our cars, and when you're in gridlock traffic hitting 5 and stopping before crawling again, manual transmission guarantees your hip will fall out before you're old enough to be an average Buick buyer. To alleviate that, and I noticed this trend was highly present in the '90s, automakers pushed automatics as THE option to own in a new car. If you notice, midsize sedans like the Taurus adapted automatics only, led by SUVs like the Suburban which welcomed the '90s with standard automatic transmissions. Even Mazda was on the same level, selling cars with FREE automatic transmissions on models that really should've come with a manual like the 323 and the 626. Eventually that caught on, and all of a sudden it was a must to have an automatic transmission. Now we've reached a point where 95% of cars sold are sold with an automatic transmission, and I suppose you can thank '90s American consumerism for that.

Yup. American consumerism, which made the iPhone cool only moments after people were going apeshit over Blackberry. You know what fuck that, I think it was all American consumerism not as a theory, but as fact.
iSheepMar 4, 2016 12:03 AM
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Mar 4, 2016 12:24 AM

Feb 2016
Turn the ignition put it and drive and your off.

Turn the ignition cycle through gears until you reach your destination.

Life is easier with an automatic. Take care of your car with regular maintenance and it takes care of you.
Mar 5, 2016 6:37 AM

Mar 2008
Kokuoh said:
It's on the left only in the UK, Cyprus, Malta and Ireland. In the rest of Europe it's in the right.

Weird I did not know that. Where the heck does it fit? Id imagine it would get in the way when getting into the car. Id probably have to see a picture or something o.o
Mar 5, 2016 6:40 AM

Jul 2013
Ryan Gosling gives free lessons on how to drive. Attend to them, murican. And stop being shitty drivers.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

92 by dreamingneon »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 3 hours ago

2 by deg »»
15 minutes ago

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

42 by dreamingneon »»
16 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

18 by dreamingneon »»
19 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

11 by juanlqr »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.