why Americans can't drive manual car?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 1, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2015
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35692845

Becauz they too busy eating McDonald's in the car, idk XD
Mar 1, 2016 1:09 PM

Jun 2015
I can drive manual but my car is automatic.

Mar 1, 2016 1:10 PM

Jun 2014
because they don't like old technology
Mar 1, 2016 1:17 PM

Jan 2012
cumshotz said:
i can't drive manual because i need a spare hand to wank while going through busy intersections.

i see btw is driving a manual car in America considered to be uncool , manual is real driving imo.

Mar 1, 2016 1:18 PM

Feb 2016
Automatic is easier. One hand vs two.

Driving manual isn't seen as uncool. Lots of old muscle cars are manual and so are sport cars.
Mar 1, 2016 1:28 PM

Jul 2015
SaturdayKrush said:

Driving manual isn't seen as uncool. Lots of old muscle cars are manual and so are sport cars.

Who wants an automatic muscle or sports car anyway?

I'd say manual all the way, since the only 2 automatics I ever saw had problems with their gearboxes.
Mar 1, 2016 1:33 PM

Feb 2016
Clebardman said:
SaturdayKrush said:

Who wants an automatic muscle or sports car anyway?

I'd say manual all the way, since the only 2 automatics I ever saw had problems with their gearboxes.

Mostly white gentlemen and car enthusiasts. Everyone else drives those small compact death traps.

*** edit I read that incorrectly. Yeah people dont prefer the automatic muscle and sports cars. Its a hobby / sunday driving thing.
Mar 1, 2016 1:46 PM

Nov 2009
Americans don't like Manual because Americans aren't stuck in 50s and 60s. We embrace new technology that makes our lives easier. It also explains why having a dish washer is standard.
Mar 1, 2016 1:48 PM

Mar 2008
Because it isn't a necessary skill for many people to have to live their lives, so many people don't see value in the skill itself (and therefore don't bother spending time to learn it).
Mar 1, 2016 1:55 PM

Mar 2014
Because manual cars suck balls

Seriously I'm not even American and I hate non automatic cars
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 1, 2016 1:58 PM

Nov 2015
Because manual cars require one extra movement, Americans can't be losing that fat they work so hard to earn.
Mar 1, 2016 1:59 PM

Jan 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
Americans don't like Manual because Americans aren't stuck in 50s and 60s.

no wonder they say muricans are lazy i mean driving an automatic car make you become a lazy driver because you only have to press the accelerator and brake , what's so fun about it

Mar 1, 2016 2:21 PM

Jul 2014
Because we embrace more modern things that make life easier.

Saying Manual is the better way to drive is like when old people say it was better when you had to flip through a dictionary to find a word instead of going on the computer.

People are more comfortable with things they grow up with even if it means staying in the past, it's dumb, who wants to flip through a dictionary when you can just go on Google?

Saying were lazy for liking automatic is like standing there with your big brick phone from the 60's saying Smart Phone's are for "lazy people" like nah man its modern and easier, get with the program.
Mar 1, 2016 2:45 PM

Nov 2011
Yes because all Americans are the same and you should generalize us.
Mar 1, 2016 2:49 PM
Sep 2014
Automatic seems much easier duhhhhh
Mar 1, 2016 2:49 PM

Nov 2009
AllenVonStein said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
Americans don't like Manual because Americans aren't stuck in 50s and 60s.

no wonder they say muricans are lazy i mean driving an automatic car make you become a lazy driver because you only have to press the accelerator and brake , what's so fun about it
You call it lazy, I call it technological advancement. Although why you draw the line for only certain things, I am not so certain. I mean isn't driving itself lazy? Why aren't you walking / running? But why stop there, why do you use a microwave, or if you don't, a gas-powered stove? Why do you take a shower (or bath) using water heated by a water heater? Why don't you hand-wash and dry your laundry? Why do you spend your time indoors on the internet? Or with cars, Why do you have power steering in your car? Why do you not manually role up your windows anymore? ...

Technology is made to make life easier (lazier). I just happen to like taking advantage of what has been invented. But nobody is forcing others from living in the past, in their own silly version of the "glory days".
Mar 1, 2016 3:35 PM

Jan 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
Yes because all Americans are the same and you should generalize us.

i forget to say " most " as from what i have read from an article about Americans and driving.

Mar 1, 2016 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
don't know that's just the way it is here.

why are manual transmissions popular in your country and not automatics?
Mar 1, 2016 4:33 PM

Oct 2015
Because most of them are too lazy to. I wanted to get a manual but I didn't know anyone who had one so I couldn't practice with one.
Mar 1, 2016 4:34 PM

Sep 2009
For your information, Americans can't drive an automatic car either. They really need to be kept off the road, period.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 1, 2016 4:44 PM

Jan 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
For your information, Americans can't drive an automatic car either. They really need to be kept off the road, period.

not surprised here i heard , most of them are worst drivers in world after all the driving test is not really a test there, is it, more of a joke

Mar 1, 2016 7:53 PM

May 2015
Because manual cars are too complicated for them.
Mar 1, 2016 8:01 PM

Nov 2015
I need at least one of my hands free so that I can show the finger to stupid people who can't drive...
Mar 1, 2016 8:16 PM

Aug 2015
What's the point of driving though? To get to places in a timely manner. What does 'fun' have to do with it? If you drive to work or school or both enough times, that shit gets old. Fun... PSH!
Mar 1, 2016 8:17 PM

Dec 2014
My old car was manual drive, but I had to buy a new one recently and this one is automatic.
Mar 1, 2016 8:45 PM

Nov 2008
It's too much work, manual is for sports cars over $70,000, some trucks, and racing cars.

Mar 1, 2016 8:52 PM

Jul 2014
Because what's the point of driving manual?
Mar 1, 2016 9:33 PM

Mar 2008
Unless you are racing you really don't need a manual.
Mar 1, 2016 9:36 PM

Nov 2009
Surprised by the number of people that aspire to having a manual for every day driving, chalk full of traffic, stop signs, and intersections.

Maybe I should try selling a new brand of cars that charges extra for windows that need to be rolled up manually, I might actually make some money.
Mar 1, 2016 9:39 PM

Jul 2015
Pirating_Ninja said:
Surprised by the number of people that aspire to having a manual for every day driving, chalk full of traffic, stop signs, and intersections.

This is all extremely easy if you haven't been spoonfed automatic gear boxes since you learned to drive. And if something goes wrong, I'd rather make the decision myself than let a fully mechanical clunky system do the job with 0 understanding of the situation.

You can keep your manual windows sincethey don't influence the way your vehicle behaves in any way.

edit: reread that post and really? "stop signs, intersections"? If that really bothers you, you shouldn't be driving, manual or automatic. Driving isn't something you should do with your right hand in your pants and your head in the clouds.
DeathkoMar 1, 2016 9:42 PM
Mar 1, 2016 9:44 PM

Jul 2014
Clebardman said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

This is all extremely easy if you haven't been spoonfed automatic gear boxes since you learned to drive. And if something goes wrong, I'd rather make the decision myself than let a fully mechanical clunky system do the job with 0 understanding of the situation.
As if everyday driving situations are complicated.
Mar 1, 2016 9:49 PM

Jul 2015
ibear said:

As if everyday driving was something you should treat casually. And I don't see how "everyday driving" is safe in any way. Your insurance calls you 24 hours before to tell you you're going to have an accident or something? Because last time I checked there was no way to predict this kind of shit. You're living in one of the biggest city in the world, your driving experience is invalid basically everywhere else. Trust me, everyday driving can be complicated. I used to drive 3 or 4h/day for my work.
Mar 1, 2016 9:56 PM

Jul 2014
Clebardman said:
ibear said:

As if everyday driving was something you should treat casually. And I don't see how "everyday driving" is safe in any way. Your insurance calls you 24 hours before to tell you you're going to have an accident or something? Because last time I checked there was no way to predict this kind of shit. You're living in one of the biggest city in the world, your driving experience is invalid basically everywhere else. Trust me, everyday driving can be complicated. I used to drive 3 or 4h/day for my work.
What? I live on the island next to NYC and need to drive absolutely everywhere. Driving is really easy.
Mar 1, 2016 9:58 PM

Oct 2012
I drive Manual.

Automatic is way more convenient for the average joe though. Manual if you really want to get the feel for the car.
Mar 1, 2016 10:01 PM

Jul 2015
ibear said:
Driving is really easy.

You know what? Good for you, if you feel you can drive with one hand and your attention focused on something else. It's easy to drive a 1ton iron coffin around at 60 km/h. You're not a threat to me, I dodge enough people everyday who think "driving is easy" but somehow forget all their indicators and keep drifting to the middle of the road in every turn to the left.

No accident in 8 years and I don't plan to hit some random casual driver who thinks he can drive, phone and scrap his nose at the same time.

"driving is easy"... really? Hey, here's my attempt at playing the game: firearms are safe.

Am I doing it right?
DeathkoMar 1, 2016 10:04 PM
Mar 1, 2016 10:09 PM

Jul 2014
Clebardman said:
ibear said:
Driving is really easy.

You know what? Good for you, if you feel you can drive with one hand and your attention focused on something else. It's easy to drive a 1ton iron coffin around at 60 km/h. You're not a threat to me, I dodge enough people everyday who think "driving is easy" but somehow forget all their indicators and keep drifting to the middle of the road in every turn to the left.

No accident in 8 years and I don't plan to hit some random casual driver who thinks he can drive, phone and scrap his nose at the same time.
thnx babe! After 4 years I've never been in an accident either, like I said it's really easy to drive with one hand on the wheel, both eyes on the road, and the other hand on my knee. Oh and if you think I sit on my phone while driving kindly go fuck yourself.
Mar 1, 2016 10:12 PM

Jul 2015
ibear said:
Oh and if you think I sit on my phone while driving kindly go fuck yourself.

You're the one who makes driving a car around sound like a totally safe and casual thing. It's not, you're driving a 1ton armored ram at ludicrous speed, and it would be good if you could keep it in mind.
Mar 1, 2016 10:24 PM

Dec 2009
Because it's pointless. I don't race or drive for fun, I just utilize my car for transportation.

The only time I would want a manual is if I buy an old muscle car or if my starter or battery fucks up and I need to push start my car.
Mar 2, 2016 12:42 AM

Nov 2009
Clebardman said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

You can keep your manual windows sincethey don't influence the way your vehicle behaves in any way.

edit: reread that post and really? "stop signs, intersections"? If that really bothers you, you shouldn't be driving, manual or automatic. Driving isn't something you should do with your right hand in your pants and your head in the clouds.
Then how do you feel about power steering? That affects how you drive, and you definitely are not being assisted by any "clunky machinery" without it. Also, what is this about "understanding if something goes wrong" bullshit? You "understand" the mechanics of your car? Or just when you shift gears? I am very confused what you mean by this or how this is an advantage, so just gonna write it off as . . . something.

What I don't get, is why go out of your way to do extra work. Hand Washing your laundry is better than putting it in a washing machine, why not do that? Hand washing your dishes is better than putting them in a dish washer.

A manual would be nice if you were driving for sport, but having to shift between gears manually a few times in between each intersection during your morning commute . . . No thank you, I would rather get rid of my morning wood as you so eloquently alluded to.
Mar 2, 2016 12:45 AM

Mar 2008
The US does not have every good public transport in comparison with Europe and Japan and is also much larger where everything is spaced out more so the average American does much more driving than a European which basically translates to driving being a necessity in the US, while in Europe it is a pass time. This difference makes a manual more tiring.
Mar 2, 2016 12:58 AM

Jan 2009
Pirating_Ninja said:
AllenVonStein said:

You call it lazy, I call it technological advancement. Although why you draw the line for only certain things, I am not so certain. I mean isn't driving itself lazy? Why aren't you walking / running? But why stop there, why do you use a microwave, or if you don't, a gas-powered stove? Why do you take a shower (or bath) using water heated by a water heater? Why don't you hand-wash and dry your laundry? Why do you spend your time indoors on the internet? Or with cars, Why do you have power steering in your car? Why do you not manually role up your windows anymore? ...

Technology is made to make life easier (lazier). I just happen to like taking advantage of what has been invented. But nobody is forcing others from living in the past, in their own silly version of the "glory days".

lol this post is funny and very on point that technology is meant to make life easier or lazier
Mar 2, 2016 1:31 AM

May 2015
Why is racism against Americans so well-accepted?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 2, 2016 2:45 AM

Jul 2015
Pirating_Ninja said:
Also, what is this about "understanding if something goes wrong" bullshit? You "understand" the mechanics of your car? Or just when you shift gears? I am very confused what you mean by this or how this is an advantage, so just gonna write it off as . . . something.

Being able to change gears easily and pick the most useful one in any situation is what makes driving interesting. From my (very limited) experience with automatics, I can say I feel a lot safer in a manual car with a good driver than in an automatic car.
Mar 2, 2016 4:50 AM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Why is racism against Americans so well-accepted?

Who knows, definitely frustrating but it's based on the vocal minority of us Americans.

Personally I like a manual transmission for my car/truck. I have had 6 cars to date, 3 trucks and 3 cars. All the cars were sports cars: 95' Chevy Camaro Z28 with a 6sp, 06' Ford Mustang GT 5sp, 04' Subaru Impreza STi 6spd. My trucks where all automatics till I bought my new 16' ram 2500 Diesel with a 6sp and 4wd. I opted for the manual as the autos behind the diesels aren't reliable and cost a fortune to repair.

That brings up my second reason for owning a manual. A clutch replacement is much cheaper than a rebuild when they auto wears out.

Most people opt for autos since the daily commute is always littered with traffic. I have a company vehicle that I am in 4-6 hours daily and it's an auto. It would become physically tiring if it was a manual.

It's really hard to find vehicles over here that aren't autos. Back in the early 2000s when subaru Imprezas were super popular it was almost impossible to get one with an auto, now it's pretty easy to find.

Manuals are a dieing breed here in the states except in sports cars. There is only one light truck maker than still offers a manual and that's Ram. Hard to see alot of manuals out here when they don't mass produce them in the states. They use to be popular due to fuel economy difference but the autos have narrowed the gap considerably. Very long response
Mar 2, 2016 2:47 PM

Jan 2012
ibear said:
Because what's the point of driving manual?

there are a lot of reason such as :
They're cheaper
better vehicle control , more fun not just accelerator and brake .....

Mar 2, 2016 3:57 PM

Sep 2007
MortalMelancholy said:

I never learned to drive. I thought there would be flying cars in 2000.

Mar 2, 2016 4:11 PM

Aug 2013
I'm not American, but it doesn't take one to realise new technology is going to be embraced more so than the older one.
『パイル』| Twitter
Mar 2, 2016 4:30 PM

Jan 2012
Salad said:
but it doesn't take one to realise new technology is going to be embraced more so than the older one.

that's not true most Europeans drive manual-gear cars , why they didn't embrace new technology lol

Mar 2, 2016 4:41 PM

Nov 2008
Salad said:
I'm not American, but it doesn't take one to realise new technology is going to be embraced more so than the older one.

Self driving cars will only take off on the coasts and in some major cities in the South.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What does your username mean?

DesuMaiden - 5 hours ago

17 by Kiryotsu »»
2 minutes ago

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

32 by French-Japanese »»
2 minutes ago

» How do you process death?

Lightskynight - Apr 14

23 by French-Japanese »»
4 minutes ago

» Does ours username claimz who really are?

French-Japanese - 38 minutes ago

4 by French-Japanese »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which decade was the worst? ( 1 2 )

H-A-M-M-Y - Mar 27

70 by French-Japanese »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.