Forum Settings
Forums
The Boy and the Beast
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 27, 2016 4:24 PM

Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

It was a movie trying to be family-friendly, right? Children are stupid and parents are sensitive. That's why we have to tell everyone that only minor injuries sustained by those unfortunate pedestrians or people will get upset that they can't even question why the hell the scene was needed there in the first place. And parents can tell their kids they don't have to take responsibility for their actions because of some supernatural thing inside their bodies.

Enough with the excessive and awkward Moby Dick reference, they are everywhere. Why don't you come up with something that is unique to your own film that are most fitting to the narrative of your story? You know, even if it fails it wouldn't feel too pretentious and callow. Coherent everyone?

A waste of digital ink? Sure. But all those CGI background models, do we really need those scenes to show the characters are in the middle of human civilization? Even with Mamoru Hosoda's signature tracking shots (remember that amazing shot in the Wolf Children that gently and elegantly shows Ame and Yuki's lives over the span of several years? And that one near the end of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time?) are just plain uninspired because they degraded to just a simple trick rather than a tool to tell the story. All hand-drawn animation is nice, but kids and parents don't care about that.

It's probably a result of a series of compromises, but I'm not so sure anymore. And the end product never lies. Even the Wolf Children which is just as family-friendly as this one has more merits.

I wish I was a furry, that way I could at least get something out of it. Wait, no girl furries? Fuck that I really hate this film!
TyrelMar 1, 2016 3:17 PM
Mar 1, 2016 10:13 AM

May 2013
I'm agree with @raveninthemuddle

the visual looks amazing, but story, especially the villain is underdeveloped and when the mc bring girl to fight, noise, it is too cliche.

and the conclusion about that villain also not satisfying. No remorse feeling lingering when you had attacking people make it worse.

raveninthemuddle said:

I wish I was a furry, that way I could at least get something out of it. Wait, no girl furries? Fuck that I really hate this film!
who need girl furry when you have kaede :D
Mar 1, 2016 10:27 AM

Mar 2012
Has the blu ray been released already?
Mar 4, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2012
Smoofie said:
Has the blu ray been released already?

The blu ray was released in Japan on February 24th. Just gotta wait for someone to sub it. The raws are out there.
Mar 4, 2016 8:18 PM

Apr 2013
I know that the moby dick thing in the last fight was for thematic purposes but maaaan was it boring to watch.

And there was this girl who kept obnoxiously laughing even when there was nothing funny going on.

Liked it quite a bit, regardless.
Mar 5, 2016 1:51 AM

Oct 2012
Just saw it at one of my local theaters.
Not nearly as good as Hosoda's other films, but I thought it was cute anyway.
Mar 5, 2016 2:04 PM

Oct 2012
Amazing art/animation. Cute Chiko. Average story.
Mar 6, 2016 6:59 PM

Sep 2015
Just saw it in theater's, it was advertised at the theater as Japanese with subtitles but when I got there it was an English dub......False advertising lol. The dub was good enjoyed the movie the MC is a very likable character. Just didn't like the ending, it doesn't even show Rin and his girl together in the real world. Story was soild, definitely a lot of symbolism. Overall very enjoyable, animation was amazing. I'd give it a 9/10
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Mar 6, 2016 9:01 PM

Aug 2012
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:
Just saw it in theater's, it was advertised at the theater as Japanese with subtitles but when I got there it was an English dub......False advertising lol. The dub was good enjoyed the movie the MC is a very likable character. Just didn't like the ending, it doesn't even show Rin and his girl together in the real world. Story was soild, definitely a lot of symbolism. Overall very enjoyable, animation was amazing. I'd give it a 9/10

I was expecting it to be dubbed but it was subbed at my theater!
Mar 7, 2016 5:26 AM

Apr 2013
Saw this in theaters this weekend as well with the English Funimation dub and Mamoru Hosoda delivers once again. While it doesn't quite live up to TGWLTT and Wolf Children, this was a good movie in its own right. Definitely recommend checking this one out.
Mar 7, 2016 7:24 AM
Mar 2012
dankzel said:
Saw this in theaters this weekend as well with the English Funimation dub and Mamoru Hosoda delivers once again. While it doesn't quite live up to TGWLTT and Wolf Children, this was a good movie in its own right. Definitely recommend checking this one out.

Same, only 2 screenings in the city. They held a lottery and someone next to me got free Mamoru films.
It's a well made traditional coming of age.

Character development & relations were the most interesting. Dual world and dual father figures. Kyuuta's growth was as amazing as Kumatetsu's. Kaede wasn't quite the focus, but a strong support to mc's change, as well as restraint from change (into beast they mentioned). Rivalry between emperor candidates was amusing, with good animation throughout.
Rabbit was lots of fun, as was the journey to interview the lords what is strength, full of arguing & silliness. Lots of references to Journey to the West. The gang also happens to be four: Pig monk & Monkey mirrors ZhuBaJie & SunWuKong (Monkey King). Mc may be Monk Sha (one of the disciples of the pilgrim). Kuma as TangSanZang (the pilgrim). Though Kyuuta & Kuma can easily switch places as mc became more wise, and Kuma learns from him.

Art was good. Crowd scenes were amazing with everything moving & details (though some CG looked ugly). The drab city vs colorful & lively animated animal world, I found too extreme. It wasn't a show where a kid goes to fantasy just to escape. Kuma and the gang's eyebrows, expressions, footsteps, everythings so alive. In contrast, the grey and animation deadness negatively impacted the humans - dad & Kaede. They lack the trivial motions & eyeblinks found in Ghibli films, or even Asterisk/Musaigen/G Recongista etc.
The fire silhouettes op was cool, but the blunt "let's describe 2 contrasting character traits before showing them" was too long. Afterwards we could redundantly see their behaviors, his kids, disciples or lack of.

Sound: sfx was great, world feels real. Not used to dub, but VA quality fairly good, felt the feels. Some lines are bland/cliche though, might be due translation or shouneny stuff. Forgot to pick up osts, guess they fit with nothing jarring. ED song was bit strange.

Camera framing & cuts were interesting, amazing forward tracks thru crowds, though overall pacing felt odd sometimes.

Villain boy did develop that hole early on (probably when he covered his face in jealousy of mc's growth, and boar son said he's acting weird). Mc also had earlier encounters with darkness in the window.
Whale & vfx were cool, explosions & all were intense, but later Villain was busy playing with water, instead of threatening mc, patiently giving time for Kaede to talk about winning (lol?) and mc to figure what to do, then more waiting for Kuma sword. Maybe Whales are very patient...
So up the city mayhem was ok. But his father explaining backstory seemed rushed. Then "villain was unconscious during all the damage", blame it on darkness, like no responsibility, and his dad feels self guilt.

Moby Dick reference was ok too. Mostly I liked what Kaede suggested. It's not revenge, but a challenge with himself.

Besides that, end focused on fathers was nice. Some characters seem random. There were female furries but all bg characters, at most the villain's early harem, and the market grannies. Comedy was quite nice and this sounds like a review now...
Mar 7, 2016 7:52 PM

Oct 2011
Saw this at the theater but with English Sub

Cried my eyes out when it ended T____T

Ren stayed as a human in the end
Mar 7, 2016 9:44 PM

Apr 2011
Finally saw Boy and the Beast (English dub) in the nearest theater possible.

It has a good story that has touching emotion and great characters (especially the dynamic between Kyuta and Kumatetsu). The action sequences are visually-arresting and fun. Oh the voicework in the English dub is well done. It's not quite perfect as some glaring flaws include the underdeveloped villain and second half can drag at times.

While it almost ranks with my favorite Hosoda films Wolf Children and Summer Wars, Boy and the Beast is still impressive as a visually-dazzling and riveting animated feature with emotional depth and substance in the entertaining story. It is also an early contender for my favorite animated feature of 2016 so far and one of the year’s best films. Can't wait to get the blu-ray to see it again 9/10
"It's called being awesome"
Mar 8, 2016 3:04 PM
Jul 2012
Had the opportunity to see this in theaters over the weekend, and it was a fantastic experience.

Like his other films, Mamoru Hosoda presents a story about relationships. This time, it is the relationship between fathers and sons. This is probably the cause for disconnect for some viewers, based upon their own relationships, or lack thereof, with a father or father figure.

There are three main relationships: a father and son that demand the best of each other, pushing each other to give it their all in what they care about; a father that blindly praises his son, telling him he is special, without taking the time to foster a true sense of responsibility and self worth; a father who tried to be there, for a son he cared for, and his desire to try to make up for lost time and influence.

Any criticism for lack of character development levied against this is because the viewer is not accepting the characters as real beings. Jiroumaru is the product of an environment of superiority over humans, and being taught that he is above humans, he cannot function when he starts to feel inferior to Kyuuta. Shame, embarrassment, resentment, all turn to rage when reality starts to crack his worldview. The "villain" is someone everyone knows: a spoiled child that feels owed the world. When things do not go his way, he lashes out violently and conceitedly. The film did not need to verbalize his thoughts and motivation, because they presented them through his actions and mannerisms.

Perhaps the film resonated more with me than some, because of a background in sports and general competition, where accolades were earned and everyone tried to better themselves, win or lose.
Mar 8, 2016 5:12 PM

Dec 2014
Saeba_D_Guyver said:
This is probably the cause for disconnect for some viewers, based upon their own relationships, or lack thereof, with a father or father figure.

Did you go to war? I didn't but I can still appreciate and relate to the stories and characters of every well-made war drama. I have a father and our relationship is pretty great, but this movie can't make me feel anything remarkable or memorable about the father-son relationships this unimaginative movie tried to present.

Saeba_D_Guyver said:
Any criticism for lack of character development levied against this is because the viewer is not accepting the characters as real beings.

When they are not written as believable characters it is pretty hard for someone who knows what a 'real' character is to just blindly accept that I'm supposed to relate to them without any conceivable reason.

Most of the characters' internal conflicts and changes are told through dialogue by characters with little to no personality or function in the story, Hyakushuubou is the most obvious example of this. He was supposed to be a good observer in character, but it also blurred the line between that and being a mouth-piece of Mamoru Hosoda to just conveniently providing vocal narration for the audience in places when it's not needed or completely disconnecting. When he said Kumatetsu also changed as a person I honestly don't feel anything was changed or even altered in his personality.

Ichirouhiko who could be written as a contrast of Kyuuta's experience in the Bakemono realm to provide some insights or commentary about their personalities and would probably better overall if their stories run parallel with each other completely ditched when Mamoru decided he would do the same thing he did in Wolf Children and completely ignore that these two are different story with different characters. What we left is the jaw-dropping character shift in the third act when Ichirouhiko just came out of nowhere violently beating up Kyuuta when the last scene we saw it's just him showing his contempt for Kumatetsu. And yes I noticed him covering his mouth when saying that and his subtle eye movement and was surprised by his own comment. But given his significance in the last act wouldn't any able writer at least tries to build and develop his character arc right from the beginning to the end and provide sufficient emotional connection between scenes? It was not a big twist, there were hints everywhere but at the end the movie decided to just bulldozed the most important piece of puzzle and cramped it in just several lines of dialogue in a flash back. Not to mention the infamous convenient 'dark side' thing that strips characters of any responsibilities for their own actions and chances to revaluate themselves.

Saeba_D_Guyver said:
Jiroumaru is the product of an environment of superiority over humans, and being taught that he is above humans

You mean Ichirouhiko, right?

Saeba_D_Guyver said:
a spoiled child that feels owed the world

Ichirouhiko is not spoiled. From what we've been shown he could be working very hard to be the a great swordsman like Iouzan who had been teaching him that he will eventually become one of them not because he earned the trust and respect of everyone but being similar in appearance. (Hey, it's what it was told in the flash back, you can't interpret it differently if you want to)

Saeba_D_Guyver said:
Attacking Kyuuta when he feared he was not special.

Wouldn't it be him being jealous of Kyuuta because everyone seemed to respect Kyuuta without him hiding his identity even though he's a human just like Kyuuta?

Saeba_D_Guyver said:
Covering his face out of embarrassment.

It happened before him made the comment. It's more likely he's trying to cover him not being able to grow teeth like Iouzan. Although now it's more interesting that how he was able to hide his identity for so long without anyone noticing it. It's kind of funny when he's young wearing a boar hood running around, it would be like a dog wearing something similar but with a human face on it, wouldn't it be weird for the inhabitants living there?

Saeba_D_Guyver said:

Toying with his attack on the city, out of conceited superiority.

At this point you can blame everything on the 'dark side' but not his characters. Was he really a violent, undisciplined man who was molded by the regressive thinking of his mentor? What about those undesirable traits he demonstrated? Were they inherit to his character or just misdirected and amplified by the magical 'dark side'? I wouldn't call a man who was provoked to commit violent acts violent without knowing the context. The action could be violent in nature but characters are not this easily defined. And thanks to it we'll never know because the movie tries to remove the heavy mental burden that knowing there's a character that's not victimized or has undesirable traits.
Mar 9, 2016 7:03 PM

Jan 2013
absolutely amazing movie
follow me on tumblr @ http://x-hentai.tumblr.com/
Mar 10, 2016 8:49 AM

Jul 2014
A pretty brain dead kid's movie. Ichirouhiko was a horrible character that really made no sense. A couple okay fights and some great crowd scenes but lacking in humor or anything to make this interesting to adults. What a disappointment.
Mar 10, 2016 9:50 AM

Dec 2014
I watched in subb (though the subs were horrible) This movie was very fulfilling Karamatsu being reincarnated was really sad for me... A good movie overall
Mar 13, 2016 3:33 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Doki has it subbed now so it's aight~

Pretty great family film. Nothing extraordinary in terms of creativity but I enjoyed it a lot
Mar 14, 2016 1:00 AM

Dec 2009
Giving this a 7/10. It ended up being better than what I was expecting.
Mar 14, 2016 7:02 AM

Apr 2012
that little thing never changed size or shape after 8 yrs
Mar 14, 2016 7:46 AM

Jan 2012
I found the first half very irritating... watching a brat doing bratty thing is not exactly my thing...
Found it a bit stupid to choose a human disciple too cause there were high chances that he would miss and go back to his own world...
So the second half was better but why run along with the girl? it's not like he was targeting her? oh well...
Mar 14, 2016 5:34 PM

Jan 2014
dankzel said:

This is ten times better than Wolf Children

@dankzel
Mar 14, 2016 5:41 PM
Apr 2015
antipurefaith said:
that little thing never changed size or shape after 8 yrs

yeah, the "baby mouse" didn't grow up. it can't be a normal mouse since they usually only get 3 years old. he's basically a filler companion.

i liked the art but i would have liked more change after the time skip.
the story was quite nice although i felt something lacking (Wolf Children had that too). it's not the kind you usually encounter as "it could have been better". it seems like an almost deliberate "that's it. life is not an action movie." feeling.
i actually liked the foreshadowing since you knew it was there but it wasn't on your nose.

things i would like to rant about:
the little white thing was totally unnecessary. it's not even seen as emotional support -.-
Kyuuta goes back to the human world after the time skip and is somehow not scared and actually finds his way home without trouble although he has only gone that route once 9 years ago?!
Ichirouhiko can read the book which means that he learned it in school. the school kyuuta didn't go to because... otherwise he wouldn't have needed Kaede *facepalm*
Kaede would have needed someone to guide her since the place was said to be very hard to find -.-
what's up with the sky at the end. first it is afternoon and when you go up it gets dark although it's later still sunny at the bottom. if it was twilight there would be shadows on the ground and it would have been a lot darker and not sunny bright...
cO_zeroMar 14, 2016 5:50 PM
Mar 15, 2016 1:27 AM

Nov 2011
I kinda enjoyed this but found the relationship between Ren/Kyuuta and Kumatetsu better than him and Kaede. Mostly because I think this movie should of been solely about the boy and the beast. His transition from a kid on the street to a grown up guy is something that I find pretty interesting to watch.

On the other hand, I find the battle between him and Ichirouhiko to be a rather mixed bag, felt like his purpose to kill Kumatetsu rather lacking. Also, the little creature on Ren felt more like a distraction (although it did play a somewhat important role when Kyuuta almost lost total control)

Nothing extraordinary for the movie. In terms of relationship dynamics, I thought it had its ups and downs. Music is decent and I thought the action was good. On storytelling, I think the film had a great start and fell a bit in the second half mostly because I wasn't sold on Ichirouhiko's character. On the other hand, introducing Kaede was kind of interesting as it gave Kyuuta a new experience since he came back. Still was an interesting watch overall for me. 7/10.
Mar 15, 2016 6:40 AM

Sep 2012
I was waiting for subs almost from the time it got out in Japan and I really really wanted to watch it and was afraid that it wont live up to my expectation but I actually really loved the movie ^^
I agree with Stark700 that the film had a great start and fell a bit in the second half but nevertheless it was quite enjoyable
Mar 15, 2016 11:50 AM

Aug 2008
Love this movie. Definitely a family friendly movie. I love the relation and character interaction between Ren and Kumatetsu. This show certainly deserve the awards it receive.So does Kumatetsu forever live inside Ren?
ZapredonMar 16, 2016 6:29 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 16, 2016 1:30 PM

Jan 2010
It wasn't revolutionary, but I think that's why I loved it so much. Entertaining, heartfelt, and beautiful. Definitely one I'll remember. Gave me the same fuzzy, melancholy feeling as Wolf Children.
Mar 16, 2016 1:51 PM

Mar 2014
Ended up feeling a bit rushed, but rather than needing more time it needed less things to focus on, I like all the elements but it should have focused on half of the stuff it had going, the battle at the end really wasn't needed eeither, especially since the antagonist barely had a character.
Mar 17, 2016 12:43 AM

May 2012
Nice movie! And I love Ren and Kumatetsu's interaction. This show somehow totally reminds me of Summer Wars and the Wolf Children which are my fave movies too. And I don't know why but I cried and certain parts. Hehehe. So childish of me.
Mar 17, 2016 1:45 AM

Sep 2013
rebelakuma said:
Nice movie! And I love Ren and Kumatetsu's interaction. This show somehow totally reminds me of Summer Wars and the Wolf Children which are my fave movies too. And I don't know why but I cried and certain parts. Hehehe. So childish of me.

Yeah I agree that part when Kumatetsu turn to sword just so sad
Mar 18, 2016 12:03 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Watched this with a friend, and hmmm, I guess it wasn't as great as I expected it would be. I expected the father and son dynamics, which I got, but I did not expect all the darkness thing. I feel like as one of the main theme in turned out to be in the story, it was handled in a rather heavy-handed way. I'd prefer if it was more subtle or I guess executed differently. Also, the scene where Kyuuta went in rage mode and did a kabedon move on Kaede felt rather awkward. That's definitely one part where I felt the pacing was weird.

What I did like was the first half of the movie, I think the tone was well done and the establishment of master-disciple relationship was fun and interesting. I liked how that ended up being how Kumatetsu won the fight, because he fights the best when he's with Kyuuta. I also cried when Kumatetsu reincarnated into a sword, the "sword of the heart" thing really made sense then. While that part was emotional, the whole fight with whale-Ichirouhiko was alright, and I sort of laughed at Mamo's scream...the whole thing with Ichirouhiko fell flat because he wasn't given enough depth nor characterization until the last third/fourth of the movie. I understand what Hosoda was going for, but I don't think it was integrated into the movie well enough. If he had only focused on the the family relationships (with Kumatetsu and his biological father), as well as the fighting together thing, I think it could've been much better. I just really didn't care for the "everyone has a little but of darkness in them" thing, or Kaede saying that she's fighting against it as well.

Chiko was really cute, although not really having a significant presence, only when it stopped Kyuuta from almost killing Ichirouhiko with telekinesis. That part bothered me too, because it's as if darkness is so strong that the only way to defeat it is by having a sword in your heart ;) I'm kidding, but yeah, still a little disappointed about that theme being part of the story.

Also yeah, the 3DCGI models in the background. Not a big problem, but just noticed them. As for other technicalities like directing, I did really like the cinematography for the first half, but I wasn't paying much attention to it later on. I did notice the sound effects though, they felt a little too much during the fights between Kumatetsu and Iouzen.

Overall, it was enjoyable, and as someone who loves the stories with family dynamics, I'd say it was good in that regard, although not the best either.
Mar 18, 2016 2:46 PM

Nov 2014
I was disappointed with a movie, it was good (8/10), but I expected a little more than pointless talks and forced drama. Especially previous awesome movies.

Mar 19, 2016 7:53 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah, this movie was really disappointing. Easily Hosoda's weakest movie.
Seems like his peak still remains to be TGWLTT, because none of his other movies are even remotely on the same level of greatness, at least in my eyes.
Mar 20, 2016 2:05 PM

Dec 2014
I don't know if my hype killed this film or if it just wasn't all that great but I feel let down. I mean it was still good but I didn't want to watch just a good movie I wanted to watch a great movie like Wolf Children. I guess having expectations that high since the trailer came out is my fault though.

7/10
Mar 20, 2016 10:22 PM

Jun 2012
This movie was fantastic. Made me really feel, especially when Kumatetsu turned into a sword to be with Ren. Music was great, art was great, seeing Ren grow up was great. Just a really touching movie. Mamoru Hosoda is just a crazily talented director. I wish he would have stayed in both worlds in the end, like switching back and forth but the ending was still satisfying.

Idk if anyone else had a similar thought, but did that little white thing/creature/mouse that Ren always had on him represent his mother or something? Seems like whenever Ren had a hallucination of his mother present they panned in on that thing.
Mar 21, 2016 5:50 AM

May 2009
Although this wasn't as great as Ame and Yuki, this movie is still beautiful and good. I like how the background looks like it's real and how the character is a bit the same as the other movie character.
Mar 21, 2016 10:54 AM

Jan 2015
Clap clap clap!!! Great movie!!!

10/10
Mar 21, 2016 10:04 PM
Sep 2015
Anyone know the song that play around minute 55 when he baack to the normal world?
Mar 22, 2016 1:18 AM

Mar 2015
Love this movie, but that villain just appeared out of nowhere in the second half and the ending felt a bit rushed. Still, another great film by Hosoda. I'm looking forward to more of his works later on in the future.
Mar 23, 2016 12:41 PM

Apr 2013
I'm sure this movie and Wolf Childrens happened in the same universe.
Mar 24, 2016 1:45 PM

Jul 2011
It would probably work better as a 13 episode series since it was a bit rushed at times.
But it was still a really good movie. I would recommend it!
Mar 25, 2016 2:58 AM

Nov 2015
one of the best anime movie

10/10
Mar 25, 2016 6:59 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pretty good movie, but the storytelling wasn't the most consistent as it could be. Very enjoyable though.

8/10
Mar 27, 2016 12:50 PM

Oct 2009
I'm left with this really weird, conflicting feeling. On one side I'm really unsatisfied with the ending and maybe even the story as a whole, and yet I liked this movie quite a lot!

The characters was so likable! and I think that's what made the movie for me. If they've just simplified the story (gladly by dropping the whole "Returning to the human world" element IMO) and chosen fewer things to focus the story on, I think this movie could've become amazing!
BakkenMar 28, 2016 5:14 AM
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Mar 27, 2016 7:16 PM

Jun 2013
Great movie. 8/10
Mar 30, 2016 6:15 AM

Feb 2012
Initially, I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but I really enjoyed more than what I thought I would. It gave me a happy vibe, as well as a sad one. Got a bit teary-eyed when Kumatetsu sacrificed himself to protect Kyuuta.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Mar 30, 2016 9:58 AM

Mar 2014
I have to agree with xspookydarknessx, v0ltg and dankzel – this is definitely his weakest movie so far. While I did think the middle was good – the part where Hosoda was focusing on Kyuuta's relationships with Kumatetsu and Kaede the beginning felt way too dragged out and I didn't like how it suddenly turned into some cliche shounen BS show during the last thirty minutes. Ichirouhiko wasn't exactly very well developed

The art, animation, music and art were good as usual. I liked Suzu Hirose's Kaede

Ookami Kodomo = Summer Wars > Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo > Bakemono no Ko

5/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 31, 2016 10:07 AM

Apr 2013
I thought this was a really great movie. Better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time imo.

Really enjoyed the interactions between Kyuuta and Kumatetsu, as well as Kaede's addition to his life. I also really liked how the two worlds intermingled and how Kyuuta didn't just ditch the human world but also returned and re-developed his relationship with his father whilst working hard for his exams and training as well at the same time. The fantasy element was also very intriguing and I thought the animation and sound in the final scenes between Kyuuta and Ichirouhiko were superb and top-notch. The show was definitely able to evoke both poignant and happy emotions from me.

A very enjoyable, and a quite touching movie. The ending was very sweet and satisfying too~~
Apr 2, 2016 3:00 PM

May 2015
Wow. Man, what a marvelous movie. I really loved the interaction and relationship between Kyuuta and the others, especially Kumatetsu. I think this is the very first Mamoru Hosoda I watched, and I'm definitely going to watch more of his works now. Highly enjoyable movie and touching. Loved it. 10/10.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» this movie sucks ass

Nyron - Jun 27, 2023

32 by ktg »»
Jan 13, 3:47 AM

» More movies/shows like this?

_txhsin__ - Mar 30, 2023

4 by Nyron »»
Jun 27, 2023 11:30 AM

» not bad.

UzumakiHime - Apr 9, 2020

1 by Quanda1eDing1e »»
Dec 30, 2022 4:34 PM

» (Spoilers) Post Endings

Topher1990 - Mar 6, 2019

4 by Rob7 »»
Jul 31, 2022 3:14 PM

» Streaming on HBO Max

JohanJ04 - Mar 7, 2022

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Mar 7, 2022 5:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.