Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 14, 2016 7:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, it was okay, another slow episode though.

I'm getting used to Mary now with her role in the party.
Of course, goblin fighting was expected s usual. Some silly arguments aside, I think the episode also explores more of the social relationships of the parties and Mary's past.

Hmm they chose some interesting insert OST for this episode.
Feb 14, 2016 8:02 AM

Nov 2013
Other than "YES! NO INSERT SONG AGAIN!", one thing I could say about this episode: Bradypus tridactylus

So apparently, we have a new OP stills and no new ED? really?

10/10
GethemalotFeb 14, 2016 7:56 PM
Feb 14, 2016 8:31 AM

Jan 2015
Right after Haruhiro think that greeting would lead to another awkward moment, Mary answer his greeting. WHAT A MIRACLE
Is that Young-Mary, or another incoming new person?
MasceraFeb 14, 2016 9:13 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 14, 2016 8:44 AM

Apr 2014
I'm starting to like Mary more ^_^

Mary has a sad backstory, but at least this tells us why Mary is the way she is now

OrangeJPFeb 14, 2016 10:02 AM

Feb 14, 2016 8:54 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Nice to know more about Mary. Also liking her as a character. Pacing was slow again. I wonder how they'll "wrap" this up in another 6 more episodes.

4/5
GoldenDevilGamerFeb 14, 2016 9:14 AM
Feb 14, 2016 8:56 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I really like the new visuals in the OP =o

Loved the little raid that they had in the beginning and I'm just loving Mary more and more with each episode, but I'm sorry to hear about her past :(

Everyone in the party are growing so nicely too, the character development is all around is great
TokoyaFeb 14, 2016 9:20 AM
Feb 14, 2016 9:01 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Oh, Moguzo and Ranta can now kill a goblin in one-on-one battle., and Haruhiko is developing into capable leader.......satisfying to see,
it really felt like I was playing a difficult RPG game and my newbie party started to develop when I watched this.

Didn't know Mary is actually more experienced as a healer than Manato, I always thought she was just a prick newbie.

The Piano OST when Hayashi told Haruhiro and the others Mary's Past was really good, hope I can hear it again.
RinrinkaFeb 14, 2016 9:06 AM

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 14, 2016 9:03 AM

Apr 2015
Their fighting is a bit more synchronized with Mary on the team, and they seem to be steadily improving with her as a member as well. Flashback with Mary's past was decent.
Feb 14, 2016 9:07 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Fantastic episode all around. Ranta's getting hilarious, I already like Mary more and then this backstory came. Wow.

The OST is awesome.

The new intro is great with the new visuals.
Feb 14, 2016 9:10 AM

May 2012
Probably my favorite episode in the anime so far

Haruhiro's finally found some resolve and is growing as their leader. I'd like to see Moguzo go all out in that case.

Ranta as annoying as ever.

So it's not that Mary doesn't want to be closer to them, it's that she's too scared of becoming closer and something happening to them due to her recent experience.

Oh right, and I liked the new visuals in the opening, though I prefer the last one more.

Wonder if more people join their party later. I should try reading the LN

Feb 14, 2016 9:23 AM

Jul 2014
This episode was going really well until we got to Mary's backstory. Seriously, it was predictable as fuck and makes her character significantly less interesting as a result.
Feb 14, 2016 9:27 AM

Jun 2014
So now we know why Mary is so distant from the rest of them. That's pretty much the backstory I expected though, so it's not like I was surprised or found it to be anything special.

Other than that info, and some silly moments here and there, this episode once again featured some obligatory goblin fighting. Are they ever going to add Mary to the ED? Like damn, you added her to the OP, why not the ED.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 14, 2016 9:32 AM

Mar 2014
Ranta x Yume ship strong, his jealousy shows hue.

Manato's diary wasn't in the novels I don't think (or that scene with him), I wonder if they'll open it at some point, since Haruhiro is still wondering what Manato thought of him in episode 4 (he doesn't find that out in the novels though, but it'd be ok to add it). Speaking of anime original stuff, I saw the hairpin in the preview, I like stuff like that.

Not much else to say, Mary was well handled I guess, the subtle changes in her attitude were nice (I don't think it's very clear here but that was meant to be the first time she said "see you" when parting ways with them at the end of the day), I'm also glad they didn't somehow make her go tsundere-modo when they invited her to eat. "I-It's not like that..."

For anyone who might want to know, Haruhiro actually meets Shinohara at the very start of the series, when he's wondering around town trying to gather information. Also, he doesn't really invite them to join in on the chat, the others invite themselves.

Mascera said:
Right after Haruhiro think that greeting would lead to another awkward moment, Mary answer his greeting. WHAT A MIRACLE
I think that's just Shihoru.
I don't think there will be any new character introduced in this.
Paulo27Feb 14, 2016 9:35 AM
Feb 14, 2016 9:51 AM

May 2009
More arts by Mieko Hosoi is always welcome
Feb 14, 2016 9:53 AM

Jul 2015
Paulo27 said:
Ranta x Yume ship strong, his jealousy shows hue.

They won't adapt volume 3 so... no new (Important) characters....
Feb 14, 2016 9:59 AM

Mar 2014
funis subs suck lol cyrene mines and death spots? anyway solid episode as always. wish they wouldve dedicated more effort to the flashback to marys past though. they left out the part about how she actually let herself run away and thats a pretty big part about why she feels the way she does. also really love seeing haruhiros progression as a leader.
Feb 14, 2016 10:01 AM

Sep 2014
A slow, but productive episode. It's nice to see their teamwork improve.

The best part was learning a bit more about Mary. Now that we know a little back story of her, we get why she acts that way during battles. It also seems like Priest in this world, at least the starter ones, carry a lot of pressure on them. :c
Feb 14, 2016 10:07 AM

Feb 2015
Mary's story was sad. She needs some lovin' from them to get back on track.
Feb 14, 2016 10:16 AM

Sep 2013
Geezus looks like Mary's past group were also noobs, what the hell are their teachers teaching them? :(
Feb 14, 2016 10:21 AM

Sep 2015
Mary is not in the ending T=T
Pretty good episode, it was not slow for my liking
Feb 14, 2016 10:24 AM

Sep 2014
So we learned about mary's past, pretty tragic.

Feb 14, 2016 10:25 AM

Oct 2014
It was better then the other epsiodes na, but still a little slow na. Can it move a little faster na?
And Haruhiro x Yume OTP na, and Santa is a Jerk na.
Feb 14, 2016 10:26 AM
Aug 2009
I liked that Mary didn't turn out to be a typical tsundere character.
Feb 14, 2016 10:26 AM

Jul 2015
It was kinda slow... but it got some nice action so I think it was fine 4/5
Feb 14, 2016 10:28 AM

Jan 2015
Paulo27 said:
Mascera said:
Now that you mention it, I guess she more resemble Shihoru than Mary. Looking at the short hair and its pattern. BUT WAIT... If it's really Shihoru, doesn't it mean that the "current" Shihoru is somehow old? I mean she has white hair, and so far I don't see any hair salon in the Episode. Aah, forget it and also thanks for the new character Info.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 14, 2016 10:47 AM

Dec 2014
The episode went by pretty quick.
Looks like the party is finally able to hold their own against a few goblins.

Communication issues with Mary still ensue out of every small incident.

But it's nice that the party finally learnt why Mary has that melancholic expression, Pretty tragic story but it's wasn't exactly something unexpected.
Hope the party can get Mary to open up them soon.

Meanwhile I always thought Kobold's were weak/average monsters xD
Feb 14, 2016 10:53 AM

Mar 2014
Mascera said:
Paulo27 said:
Now that you mention it, I guess she more resemble Shihoru than Mary. Looking at the short hair and its pattern. BUT WAIT... If it's really Shihoru, doesn't it mean that the "current" Shihoru is somehow old? I mean she has white hair, and so far I don't see any hair salon in the Episode. Aah, forget it and also thanks for the new character Info.
She does look a bit younger but I don't think the hair color changed lol.
Feb 14, 2016 10:53 AM

Feb 2014
I had a feeling Mary came from a party that got massacred. Explains why she is so bleak and so reserved with her magic - shes afraid of running out when its really needed.
Feb 14, 2016 10:57 AM
Jul 2018
It is nice to know more about Mary.
Feb 14, 2016 10:58 AM

Jun 2010
Damn son, that was nice.
the awkward silences throughout the episode annoyed the hell out of me but the last 5 minutes made it all worth it.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Feb 14, 2016 11:00 AM

Jan 2013
Mary saving this anime. Also not terribly slow pacing this ep.

An actually interesting character with a proper partial background. And she's not static unlike some of the current party members *glares at Ranta*

overall score raised from 5 to 7.

4/5 episode.
Feb 14, 2016 11:11 AM

Oct 2014
So, Mary's backstory just in time. I didnt like the way they killed Haruhiro x Yume in front of the others. btw, nice ep.
Feb 14, 2016 11:13 AM

Jan 2015
Damn they did an episode I actually liked...probably because Mary had more screen time, love the way she handles Ranta compared to our other members and lol at all the awkward silences. Really hope that they don't drag on the shopping scene too much and just get right to the end of Vol.1 next week but thats not going to happen.

Glad they specifically mentioned that Mary used up all her Magic during her fight, aka healing any minor scratch, so that when it really counted she couldn't properly heal the fatal wounds. Sounds exactly what happened to a certain someone.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Feb 14, 2016 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
Mascera said:
Paulo27 said:
where do you see white hair?
Feb 14, 2016 11:20 AM

Aug 2013
Ranta is a dick, even more than always. I can't stand him. But I don't know if I hate him or Mary more.

OST is just perfect.

shuryukan said:
Mary saving this anime

Nope. She is just another character, nothing else.
rsc-plFeb 14, 2016 11:32 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 14, 2016 11:23 AM

Nov 2014
So Mary has a similar story to Manato
Hi there
Feb 14, 2016 11:27 AM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
Ranta is a dick, even more than always. I can't stand him.

shuryukan said:
Mary saving this anime

Hey, there's this thing called an opinion.

Please stop responding to me if you're going to state random things matter-of-fact-ly. You did this last week as well.
Feb 14, 2016 11:33 AM

Aug 2013
shuryukan said:
rsc-pl said:
Ranta is a dick, even more than always. I can't stand him.

Please stop responding to me if you're going to state random things matter-of-fact-ly. You did this last week as well.

It's public forum, I'm not posting on your profile. You shared your opinion, I don't agree with it and I shared mine. So I can quote you only if I agree with your opinion? Please stop posting if you don't want to be quoted. And sorry, I don't remember random users which I'm quoting, it's not something which should be remembered. So it's not it like I'm quotted you because of last week.
rsc-plFeb 14, 2016 11:40 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 14, 2016 11:34 AM

Apr 2014
Ranta is anoying, but he's supposed to be, so he's a good character, just want to clarify that.

The backstory was somewhat expected, but it was handled well, so I give them props for that.
Feb 14, 2016 11:43 AM
Feb 2016
After episode 5 I'm honestly disappointed. They had a chance to really do something with the reactions to the HaruxYume scene and to build off of what they had going, and they wasted it by having Ranta just shit all over the delicacy of human emotions. That kind of set the tone for me, and while the episode wasn't bad, and Mary's development was good, the whole episode paled to what could have been. ah well, a bit wishful I suppose.
Feb 14, 2016 11:48 AM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
shuryukan said:

It's public forum, I'm not posting on your profile. You shared your opinion, I don't agree with it and I shared mine. So I can quote you only if I agree with your opinion? Please stop posting if you don't want to be quoted. And sorry, I don't remember random users which I'm quoting, it's not something which should be remembered. So it's not it like I'm quotted you because of last week.

You can write your matter of fact statements without quoting me. If you didn't realize you give me a notification with your useless commentary to me, therefore there's no reason for you to quote me.

if you're going to disagree, at least write why. Your reply gives absolutely no room for discussion.
Feb 14, 2016 11:53 AM

Apr 2014
Lots of derps in the art quality this episode. Geez get a grip of yourself A-1. That's two episodes in a row.

People were talking about Mary since episode 1 and I still don't see why everyone likes her so much. I'm genuinely curious how anyone can even stand her when she's annoying just as much as Ranta. Not even that 5 minute predictable backstory with a bunch of stills redeems her character.

The pacing is still horrendous and the character interactions continues to be mundane. Sigh...so many things could have been explored in this series and yet it continues to waste its potential.
Z4KFeb 14, 2016 3:01 PM
Feb 14, 2016 11:55 AM

Jul 2015
Lelouch0202 said:

Meanwhile I always thought Kobold's were weak/average monsters xD

... It's gonna be explained latter(it was in the light novel) and it's not a spoiler... but......
Feb 14, 2016 11:55 AM

Jul 2012
Nothing special about this episode, the show is steadily progressing with the same pace which is sometimes slow, but not that bad. Mary's backstory was predictable and it didn't really feel so emotional.
Feb 14, 2016 11:58 AM

Nov 2011
Ranta is annoying but his character makes up for any awkward situations aka the beginning of the episode.
I wish they would develop Moguzo more but they did a good job during this episode. He had a come back against Ranta and Haruhiro paid attention to him when he fought and realized what his "weakness" was. Also Mary healed him! I like Moguzo a lot.

Haruhiro is becoming a leader more and more. He's observing everyone and realizing different things.

I saw Mary's backstory coming from a mile away, generic heartbreak resulting in Tsundere tendencies. She'll probably soften up a little bit but still be the same after the next episode, but I don;t really like her as a character right now.

Also never forget Haruhiro is ALWAYS watching his companions.

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 14, 2016 12:02 PM

Sep 2015
Nice to actually get some sort of backstory for one of the characters, at long last, even if it was very generic and predictable.
Mary could definitely come across a little more realistic though, as opposed to being antagonistic just for the sake of causing drama. When the MC was questioning what she can do as a Priest and what her preferred style is, it doesn't really make much sense for her to lash out at him because it increases everyone's chances of surviving.
It's not like giving an impersonal description of what she can and can't do is going to make her get closer to everyone and risk having to lose members again.

But this anime is picking up, even if only slightly.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 14, 2016 12:03 PM

Aug 2013
shuryukan said:
rsc-pl said:

You can write your matter of fact statements without quoting me. If you didn't realize you give me a notification with your useless commentary to me, therefore there's no reason for you to quote me.

if you're going to disagree, at least write why. Your reply gives absolutely no room for discussion.

No. I quoted you because YOU said that she is saving this anime and you didn't write any reason why.
She is just a lame cold character, which probably will open to them in next few (or even episodes. Her backstory was even more lame that she is acing. Like typical background character. She doesn't bring anything to this show, except begin a bitch, which is a reason why most users are liking her.

Z4k said:

People were talking about Mary since episode 1 and I still don't see why everyone likes her so much. I'm genuinely curious how anyone can even stand her when she's annoying just as much as Ranta. Not even that 5 minute predictable backstory with a bunch of stills redeems her character

Thanks God I'm not the only one. Exactly my thoughts about her.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 14, 2016 12:11 PM

Jan 2013
rsc-pl said:
shuryukan said:

No. I quoted you because YOU said that she is saving this anime and you didn't write any reason why.
She is just a lame cold character, which probably will open to them in next few (or even episodes. Her backstory was even more lame that she is acing. Like typical background character. She doesn't bring anything to this show, except begin a bitch, which is a reason why most users are liking her.

I did write why. you just conveniently deleted that part from the quote.
Oh, so you couldn't express your opinions earlier? (which btw your opinion is basically just "she is a lame bitch")

Anyways, I'm done replying. You lack any means to hold a proper conversation, or begin one even.
Feb 14, 2016 12:14 PM
Feb 2016
Mary is best grill.
Feb 14, 2016 12:20 PM
Dec 2014
I will probably watch suffer through the first season, by my god this show is slow. You could watch this at 1.5-2x speed and even then it would be slower than average. Half season in and hardly anything has happened.

And don't get me started on Ranta. I was expecting him being somewhat like Favaro Leone, but nope he is angsty piece of turd with super annoying voice. Then again every other character is lame too. We have:
weak willed "self insert" MC that's eventually going to become a reliable leader, so the viewers can feel good about themselves;
yaoi bait priest that's too dumb to bring mana potions;
tank that could be replaced by cardboard cutout and nothing of value would be lost;
archer that uses melee weapons and is slightly autistic;
mage that couldn't talk with other people, then suddenly out of the blue is able to communicate without any issues.

And last but not least the new priest, who is acting super tsun, but will eventually go full dere towards self insert MC.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

465 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 1:31 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

230 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 12, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.