Forum Settings
Forums

Why is there a rising trend of wimpy male lead characters matched with strong female characters?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 13, 2016 1:30 PM

Apr 2014
Why did a 4 year old thread get revived?
Feb 13, 2016 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
Kreion said:
ItsMaz said:

When did I say anything about expecting a character to act aggressively?
All I said was that I wish there wasn't two extremes - super weak and wimp, or perfectly OP Gary Stu.

As for the rest - citing a few shows here and there doesn't prove your massive generalisation.

But most characters aren't 'super weak and wimp' - sure there are some but not a massive amount, maybe you should stop generalizing...Or list me off every series so I can take your point seriously.

Seriously - I am not going to list off every SoL series which is unrealistic, every one which is 'realistic' and then compare them. More realistic series generally aren't SoL: drama, josei and shoujo are often some of the more realistic series. Now before you say "I never said realistic, I was talking about exaggeration" they're directly linked as art style and subject matter are usually linked too (not always admittedly). SoL lends itself to exaggeration and over-the-top art and settings because it doesn't require a continuous plot, I don't need you to agree with me on this by the way - it's just common sense.

Even your slice of life shows don't have wimp protagonists though.

If it's an all-girls show then, whatever, I'm guessing this isn't what you want to talk about.
If it's a mix-gendered slice of life, you have shows like Seitokai No Ichizon who's protagonist isn't a pushover.
AnoHana, Sket Dance...

Honestly, the hyper wimp is a rarety. The character who gets mauled by the girls for no reason only exists in super old shows like Love Hina and Negima.
Feb 13, 2016 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
Why did a 4 year old thread get revived?

This was a necro XD

Now I feel dumb. hahaha.
Feb 13, 2016 1:45 PM

Dec 2015
I hate wimpy male characters just like I hate wimpy males in real life, but this "strong female character" crap gets on my nerves even more. Frankly a lot of the "strong" female characters that are paired with the wimpy males are just outright bitchy (or yandere unstable) if you get down to it. Why can't both of them be kind (or at least not jerks) and capable? That would be a story I'd be interested in. You know. Where I could root for both protagonists.
Feb 13, 2016 2:25 PM

May 2015
I think the trend in heroes is actually different. The trend I've noticed is strong female characters matched up with an absolutely godlike male MC who is so powerful he makes the females look weak in comparison.

See: every magic high school battle harem LN
Feb 14, 2016 12:26 AM

May 2015
KaoruMatsuoka said:
I think the trend in heroes is actually different. The trend I've noticed is strong female characters matched up with an absolutely godlike male MC who is so powerful he makes the females look weak in comparison.

See: every magic high school battle harem LN

It's an odd evolution - macho dudes like JoJo --> Silly heroes like Naruto/Luffy -->Wimpy males (Shinji, Yukki, Ganta) --> cute OP dudes with bland design like Kirito.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 55 minutes ago

16 by Pinoffin »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

128 by -YaoiBoy- »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

213 by Catalano »»
15 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 5 hours ago

28 by -Ryu »»
15 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

2 by IpreferEcchi »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.