Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 11, 2016 10:39 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm really starting to like Kiku and his character development up to this point now.
Miyokichi is still trying to bond with him like usual. I also really like the music rhythm of the episode. The rakugo performance was pretty good. There's even a sensational feel that I got from it. Pretty neat stuff :D

I think his skills improved and his facial expressions got better from his previous performances. Nice episode.
Feb 11, 2016 10:45 AM

Nov 2007
The lady going back early by herself. Talking about how refreshing to put a successful show. The main guy when he was young... So he was at geisha place before rakugo. That's why he is good at acting female?

His friend showing his rakugo and main guy realized his rakugo is for the audiences and enjoyment. He's doing well now with finally finding his own rakugo. He's more confident.

26:25 on Friday (back to regular time) next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 11, 2016 5:04 PM

Oct 2012
So Kiku finally found his way of rakugo and with a story about suicide. I wonder if this was part of the reason behind the name.
Ishida Akira voice was perfect for this role, just like when he did Zura/Zurako.
Feb 12, 2016 1:31 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Nice to see that Kiku finally realized why he wants to do Rakugo :) Both he and Shin-chan had great performances

Miyokichi continues to be fantastic as well
Feb 12, 2016 1:34 PM

Sep 2014
I laughed out loud at the jumping into the sea part. Can't swim? Perfect.
Feb 12, 2016 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
Nice to see Kiku finally found a way out of his rakugo. His suicide story was nice!
Feb 12, 2016 1:42 PM

Aug 2010
How does this series do it??? I didn't even feel it should finish yet and the ep was done D:

Kiku went in. For the first time I actually like his Rakugo more than Shin's. He really is a master at the art of erotic story telling. Ishida Akira's going in with the Zurako roles :P

Dat PV tho. Drama with Miyokichi incoming and Did I just see Miyokichi stripping Shin O_o
Will they do it for some reason? I'm totally loving KikuxMiyokichi a lot. Not ready for the upcoming drama and break up :/
Feb 12, 2016 2:01 PM

Jan 2015
Oh gosh, another 10/10 episode.

Kiku was awesome as usual, and his Rakugo was quite funny.
"But I can't swim" "That's perfect" LOL.
Feb 12, 2016 2:05 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Amazing character development for Kiku. Even his Rakugo sounds a lot more charming now, although Shin's style stays ahead in terms of glamour.

The "water-drop hinging on kettle" scene was probably my favorite. What a murky blend of frustration and admiration!

Feb 12, 2016 2:19 PM

Jan 2012
Yakumo's having a bit of an identity crisis this week. Ironically, he's able to find his purpose playing female roles both in a play and now rakugo, whereas in his childhood he wasn't able to be a geisha no matter how he tried. It's an interesting flip on the girl who longs to be a boy trope played with much more, including in this show by Konatsu. The women in his life certainly seem to have shaped him, as well as Shin. It's looking like things between Yakumo and Miyokichi might finally come to a head next week, and of course Shin will inevitably get involved as well.
Feb 12, 2016 2:36 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Nice to see Kikuhiko realizing who he does rakugo for. His performance was pretty funny. Dropping the man in water, then regretting it because he could've paid the bills was funny.

5/5
Feb 12, 2016 2:44 PM

Feb 2012
To finally understand the exact reason you're doing something is extremely empowering
Feb 12, 2016 2:56 PM

Apr 2014
I like kikuhiko and i feel happy for him nad happy he is with the girl
he is very interesting i understand why he have admirers
i want to see it dress like a woman ! love it
i smell love triangle and problems
Feb 12, 2016 2:59 PM

Apr 2011
Character development for Kiku, aww yes.

I liked how most of the episode was anime original yet damn DEEN does it again and we are having another great episode. It's amazing to see a character realizing what the purpose of work is: For Kiku is for himself, he loves what he does now. He is at peace and can fight for it. His rakugo perfomance was phenomenal.

animefan8800 said:
Ironically, he's able to find his purpose playing female roles both in a play and now rakugo, whereas in his childhood he wasn't able to be a geisha no matter how he tried. It's an interesting flip on the girl who longs to be a boy trope played with much more, including in this show by Konatsu. The women in his life certainly seem to have shaped him, as well as Shin.

I agree.

Barion-Zara said:
Dat PV tho. Drama with Miyokichi incoming and Did I just see Miyokichi stripping Shin O_o
Will they do it for some reason? I'm totally loving KikuxMiyokichi a lot. Not ready for the upcoming drama and break up :/

No, Miyokichi was trying to pull Sukeroku away from Kiku.
Feb 12, 2016 3:04 PM

Sep 2015
Such a big episode for Kiku. He's finally finding himself.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 12, 2016 3:04 PM

Apr 2015
Eh, the performance made me smile, another great episode.
Kiku is indeed a great character!
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

My anime list
My manga list
Feb 12, 2016 3:29 PM

Nov 2015
"He's always ahead of me..." -
I can see the build up and I know it's coming, but I don't know if I can emotionally withstand it :(
Talking about build up. The scene where he says " I have my own rakugo." gave me goosebumps, that was sooo well made. Ohh, I'm in love with this gem <3
Feb 12, 2016 4:10 PM

May 2015
Fantastic episode.
Episode felt way longer than it was, but in a good way, as I feel I got so much out of it.
The artwork seemed especially good this week too.
Kikuhiro is such a great character. It's nice seeing him finally finding a purpose in his rakugo.
I felt some foreshadowing in this episode and I have a feeling the tension may start building up soon...
Feb 12, 2016 5:06 PM

Apr 2015
Kiku's rakugo and Sukeroku's rakugo were so amazing. Both of the stories were very funny and creative as well. I can't wait to see the next episode *___*
5/5
Feb 12, 2016 5:15 PM

Feb 2015
Kiku's performance gave me goosebumps. The lover's suicide 'I can't swim' part made me laugh so much. The range of what this show can do in a single episode is something I look forward to every week.
Feb 12, 2016 5:17 PM

Nov 2014
The characters in this series feel so real that I forget that I'm watching an anime. Kiku's personality in particular is very complex and beautifully flawed. He's uptight, envious, and sometimes inconsiderate. He's not always likable, but his growth as an individual makes him compelling to watch.

Another great episode.

5/5
Feb 12, 2016 5:45 PM

Jun 2015
This show is fantastic. I hope it continues to be this amazing up until the end.
Feb 12, 2016 5:51 PM

Jul 2015
Good to see Kikuchi being more sure of himself. That preview had a very heavy emphasis on Miyokichi so I'm hyped.
Feb 12, 2016 6:06 PM

Apr 2015
Yakumo's managed to pull off a really nice performance after testing the waters a bit. Great episode. Seems like a lot will happen next week; looking forward to it.
Feb 12, 2016 9:13 PM

Apr 2015
Really enjoyed watching Kiku enjoy rakugo. Fun to see him and his girlfriend's relationship too. Definitely AOTS at this point. Excited for more. Dang, this flies by quickly!
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Feb 12, 2016 9:19 PM

Jul 2014
BITCH MIYOKICHI GONNA RUIN EVERYTHING. I CAN ALREADY SEE IT COMING. FUCK HER. But damn tht was some performance by Kiku
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Feb 12, 2016 9:23 PM

Jan 2008
UGH Miyokichi's expression during Kiku's Rakugo. That woman is going to be a disaster without a doubt.

ಠ╭╮ಠ
Feb 12, 2016 9:52 PM

Oct 2011
Kiku's Rakugo was amazing!!!!! I was memorized

OMG Miyokichi drama NOOOOOO
Feb 13, 2016 12:09 AM

Jul 2015
Man, these episodes are just flying by... 5/5
Feb 13, 2016 3:04 AM

Sep 2013
Wow this episode was short,the Rakugo part was like always really enjoyable,especially the second story,i'm glad i started this anime.
Deep dark fantasies
Feb 13, 2016 3:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This series is so good that even the performance within the show had me laughing out loud. Kiki has finally found his voice, but his sense of inferiority towards Sukeroku is always there lingering and threatening their relationship. And Miyokishi, who's really into Kiku at this time, will trigger that conflict any moment now. But how?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 13, 2016 5:35 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Kiku was awesome.
Feb 13, 2016 5:53 AM

Feb 2014
Oh God, this episode is so beautiful !
Really love how the rakugo was played!

Also, many beautiful scenes in this episode. Storyboarded by Nakayama Naomi

Feb 13, 2016 7:02 AM

Aug 2014
I feel proud of how far kiku has come tbh. compare his rakugo from this episode with the one from a couple of episodes ago, the different really shows.

I loved sukeroku as usual, esp his interactions with kiku. miyokichi was pleasant as well, I really like her with her hair down
Feb 13, 2016 7:35 AM
Jan 2015
All I can say aside from my usual fanboying this series is I cannot believe this is mostly anime original this time. What the heck. It perfectly blended with the previous episodes!

Also, Kiku is one amazing character and so with the others in this show.

PS: THE DIRECTION OF THIS SERIES IS DEFINITELY CONVINCING ME TO PUT THIS IN MY YEAR END LIST! WOW.
Feb 13, 2016 11:01 AM

Dec 2015
There's a reason for Miyokichi's reactions and for the upcoming shift in her interests.What she saw in that performance disappointed her because she realized Kikuhiko is not what she's looking for.She picked up on the distance he put between himself and the audience (the complete opposite from his previous performance as an actor-the aspect of him she likes,but he himself hates) and realized how difficult it is for him to open up and connect emotionally.At least that's how I take it.
Feb 13, 2016 12:27 PM

Jul 2009
Wow it's really nice to see how Yakumo grew to love rakugo! So it's all because of what Sukeroku said about doing it for the audience and him needing to find who he does it for huh ... yeah, he was really good this episode! Dat bromance <3 It looks like next episode is gonna have some drama with Miyokichi and the two guys ... really looking forward to the next episode :D
Feb 13, 2016 12:38 PM

Jan 2008
Farabeuf said:
This series is so good that even the performance within the show had me laughing out loud. Kiki has finally found his voice, but his sense of inferiority towards Sukeroku is always there lingering and threatening their relationship. And Miyokishi, who's really into Kiku at this time, will trigger that conflict any moment now. But how?

I always saw it more as Kiku is envious of Shin's ability to make enjoyable Rakugo with minimum effort in practicing, but not to the point where it would cause a rift of any kind between them. Kiku has always been Shin's #1 fan and I doubt that was threatened by Kiku's enviousness.

As for Miyokichi, she wants Kiku and she will stop at nothing to have him at this point. The PV for the next episode shows her physically dragging shin from kiku's lap due to anger/jealousy. Even if I wasn't aware of what she does in the manga, I still wouldn't like her character. From the moment she stepped on-screen she's been weird and shady towards Kiku. This episode shows another glimpse of her shadiness.
trinitytigerFeb 13, 2016 5:10 PM
Feb 13, 2016 3:37 PM

Apr 2011
trinitytiger said:
I always saw it more as Kiku is envious of Shin's ability to make enjoyable Rakugo with minimum effort in practicing, but not to the point where it would cause a rift of any kind between them. Kiku has always been Shin's #1 fan and I doubt that was threatened by Kiku's enviousness.

Pretty much.
I think what Kiku feels towards Shin's rakugo is something very natural: Someone who can do better than you at something, a talent or a prodigy, without spending much of an effort to achieve their goals. Of course Shin is not that great and needs to practice as well, but since he knows the reason he loves rakugo so much, its easier for him to perform and thus be better than Kiku.

Kiku on the other hand, till this episode, didn't know why he was performing. He saw rakugo as an act of survival that he had to because the geisha route was closed to him by a physical disability. In episode 5 we first see him enjoy himself in front of a crowd without performing rakugo, rather, acting. But still, the feel of joy and even the euphoria of having the eyes of the people on him, really did grow inside him and start making him question why he is doing rakugo for the first time in his life.

And as he said in another episode, he hated rakugo because of Shin but he also start loving it because of him and we can see Shin's influence on him pretty clear.

trinitytiger said:
As for Miyokichi, she wants Kiku and she will stop at anything to have him at this point. The PV for the next episode shows her physically dragging shin from kiku's lap due to anger/jealousy. Even if I wasn't aware of what she does in the manga, I still wouldn't like her character. From the moment she stepped on-screen she's been weird and shady towards Kiku. This episode shows another glimpse of her shadiness.

LOL that scene is not even in the manga, so I can't wait to see how it unfolds. So far, the original anime scenes are fantastic. If I haven't seen the scans I wouldn't know it's new stuff. But yes, while from a first impression I liked her, as the episodes start coming and see how aggresive she is to get what she wants, I stopped liking her (the events of what happen later on, really don't help).
Feb 13, 2016 7:44 PM

Oct 2014
I didn't understand the end of his performance. Who was the guy who wasn't surprised to see him, and why? I think I lost it along the way...

Amazing episode nonetheless.
Feb 13, 2016 8:40 PM

Feb 2016
This episode was fantastic!

But, as everybody, I'm a little worried about Miyokichi. I didn't expect that romantic past between her and Kiku. Obviously we all know that she and Shin have a daughter later, but now I don't feel prepared to see it, I mean, that's gonna hurt Kiku as shit. His "love interest" and his best friend.

Anyways, for now I'm happy for Kiku finding his own Rakugo. Episode 10/10 as always.
Feb 14, 2016 7:29 AM

Feb 2016
Kiku was F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.

Anyways, superb episode. Definitely an AOTS contender.

5/5
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Feb 14, 2016 6:23 PM

Sep 2014
Wow this episode was gooood. Now I have to wait a week :(.
Feb 14, 2016 7:36 PM

Jun 2013
why did he even wanted to be a Geisha? and Kiku's rakugo was awesome
Feb 15, 2016 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
I'm loving the story of Sukeroku and Yankumo but I want to know more about Yotarou. It's been six episodes and we're still in their story, not that it's a bad thing but this series is only 13 episodes long.
臭い-
Feb 15, 2016 6:53 AM

Apr 2011
Kisumi801 said:
But, as everybody, I'm a little worried about Miyokichi. I didn't expect that romantic past between her and Kiku. Obviously we all know that she and Shin have a daughter later, but now I don't feel prepared to see it, I mean, that's gonna hurt Kiku as shit. His "love interest" and his best friend.

It's not gonna hurt him at all.

And Miyokichi is not his love interest. He doesn't reply to her romantic advances. If anything he has found on her a person he can talk about his fears and insecurities about rakugo but other than that nothing romantic from his part.

Axelucard said:
why did he even wanted to be a Geisha? and Kiku's rakugo was awesome

There is something called 'Taikomochi'. The problems with Kiku's case was that:
1. He was in a place with women so he didn't stand much of a chance
2. Physical disability

Bibimbapski said:
I'm loving the story of Sukeroku and Yankumo but I want to know more about Yotarou. It's been six episodes and we're still in their story, not that it's a bad thing but this series is only 13 episodes long.

I can't be sure about this because the anime adds many original scenes, like in this episode, but I think we will see Yotaro and Konatsu at the last two episodes.
Feb 15, 2016 8:20 PM

Aug 2009
trinitytiger said:
UGH Miyokichi's expression during Kiku's Rakugo. That woman is going to be a disaster without a doubt.

ಠ╭╮ಠ

Yeah I don't see it ending well, I'm guessing shes going to end up with Sukeroku at one point. Enjoyed the episode overall though, Kiku really found his own style.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 18, 2016 8:43 PM

Jul 2011
Miyokichi. I think disaster will follow her. :(

Kiku was fantastic this episode and his development has been incredible. When you feel the woes of a character, you know you're attached to them!!

I completely forgot about Yotaro and the present day. Oh well, this backstory is so much more interesting. I mean, the fact that I can't tell anime original (filler...) from canon is pretty incredible as it's been seamlessly worked into the original story.
Feb 18, 2016 8:59 PM

Sep 2011
Oh man what a phenomenal episode, all the lead up to this character development was so well handled as well as what seems to be foreboding hints of a potential tragedy to follow have me captivated

I haven't enjoyed a slice of life this much since ping pong. Bumping the score from a 8 to a 9.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 21, 2016 1:14 PM

Nov 2015
Kiku was hilarious I really loved his character development.

5/5

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.