Forum Settings
Forums

Worst way for a likeable character to die. WARNING spoilers

New
Feb 8, 2016 6:50 AM

Jan 2016
Spoiler: Akame Ga Kill scene

I recently finished this series and I had a hard time with one of the characters, in a supporting role, death's scene. Namely Sheele's as she was a very likeable character and I have a natural disdain for women's deaths scenes I guess. Can't really explain why but just thought it was terrible way to go for what I thought was a good supporting character. I guess it's mainly because I despised the villian in this instant-seryu. If you haven't seen it yet you can catch it on YouTube if you need to see what I mean. I don't want to give much away for the people who haven't watched this. It's pretty messed up imo. Left a bad taste in my mouth for several episodes.

Though after watching the series I came to the conclusion that there would be alot of unexpected deaths throughout but that one bothered me the most.

That's mine from my limited watching so far. What was yours?
Maverick-samaFeb 8, 2016 9:53 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 8, 2016 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
i honestly think the worst way for any character to die is a meaningless and forgetful death which is done solely as a shocking plot device. example:
Feb 8, 2016 6:54 AM

Jun 2014
probably them doing something really stupid and dying from it. That would probably be more frustrating than emotional or maybe them dying to a character you really hate, but that at least gets the right emotional response so I wouldnt exactly say its bad.
Feb 8, 2016 6:57 AM

Nov 2011
Get beheaded by a chainsaw.

Nothing to see here

Feb 8, 2016 7:03 AM

Jan 2016
Dawn said:
probably them doing something really stupid and dying from it. That would probably be more frustrating than emotional or maybe them dying to a character you really hate, but that at least gets the right emotional response so I wouldnt exactly say its bad.

I agree that it was an emotional response I just wish the Revenge came sooner. Thatso what kept the bad taste in my mouth. It was prolonged too far. Still live this series though. It's my highest rated.
Feb 8, 2016 7:04 AM

Jan 2016
KaiserNazrin said:
Get beheaded by a chainsaw.

Nothing to see here

That's pretty awful too regardless who it happens too.
Feb 8, 2016 7:04 AM
Sep 2015
After having read a part of Gantz there is nothing that can scare me anymore. A character will die and I'll remain indifferent about it. Gantz has made me see deaths in a different light, a nihillistic perspective so to say. So the worst way you can kill off a character in my opinion is making his death look too tragic or important. It's not. One death doesn't change much. Maybe from the perspective of some characters it has a great impact but otherwise it makes no difference. People who have watched Naruto Shippuden know what I'm talking about. Just let the poor guy die already and stop having dying characters hold long monologues in order to arouse emotion. This is not how it works. Obviously there are other examples but that was the first I could think of. A couple of Anime and Manga that handle death well in my opinion include: Fate/Zero, Tokyo Ghoul and Shiki.
Feb 8, 2016 7:05 AM

Nov 2009
>Worst way for a likeable character to die.

The show was finally getting a turn for the better, but suddenly, the character crosses a road, is suddenly hit by a car and dies despite being taken to the hospital on time.

Doesn't get any worse.
Feb 8, 2016 7:07 AM

Jan 2016
volt16 said:
After having read a part of Gantz there is nothing that can scare me anymore. A character will die and I'll remain indifferent about it. Gantz has made me see deaths in a different light, a nihillistic perspective so to say. So the worst way you can kill off a character in my opinion is making his death look too tragic or important. It's not. One death doesn't change much. Maybe from the perspective of some characters it has a great impact but otherwise it makes no difference. People who have watched Naruto Shippuden know what I'm talking about. Just let the poor guy die already and stop having dying characters hold long monologues in order to arouse emotion. This is not how it works. Obviously there are other examples but that was the first I could think of. A couple of Anime and Manga that handle death well in my opinion include: Fate/Zero, Tokyo Ghoul and Shiki.

Couldn't agree more. They ramp up the scenes to draw out the emotional response. The quick deaths never seem to gather any strong responses. Guess that's why they do it that way.
Feb 8, 2016 7:08 AM

Sep 2014
The way Toriyama kill its human characters.
Smoke Weed Everyday
Feb 8, 2016 7:24 AM

Jan 2011
i guess being killed by a fodder, we never knew who it was or how he looked like, so no chance to get revenge on him for killing an important character like in Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Feb 8, 2016 7:27 AM

Jan 2016
flannan said:

The show was finally getting a turn for the better, but suddenly, the character crosses a road, is suddenly hit by a car and dies despite being taken to the hospital on time.

Doesn't get any worse.

That's pretty bad, seems like the hospital would the saving grace of the scene. Typically they die on the way to the hospital or at the accident scene. You figure if they get to the hospital it's all good.
Feb 8, 2016 7:28 AM

Jan 2016
silversaint said:
i guess being killed by a fodder, we never knew who it was or how he looked like, so no chance to get revenge on him for killing an important character like in Legend of the Galactic Heroes

That's beyond frustrating, not knowing who they/it were.
Feb 8, 2016 7:42 AM
May 2009
They no longer appear. And are not even confirmed if dead or alive. No one remembers them.
Feb 8, 2016 7:45 AM

Feb 2013
silversaint said:

Feb 8, 2016 7:48 AM

Nov 2015
flannan said:

Doesn't get any worse.

Kinda reminds me of
Feb 8, 2016 7:53 AM

Jul 2013
Sheele was just a plot device whose only role was being killed to show how in Akame ga Kill, even the good guys can die. Far from being the worst death of the series, especially when some of the late deaths of the series were pointless and forced.

The worst way a somewhat relevant character has to die is being killed for pure shock value, to be forgotten later.
Feb 8, 2016 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
Oh geez, Akame Ga Kill. I won't get into that but you know.

OT: Probably when they die early on through something stupid and you're looking forward to seeing more of them in the anime. I remember one slipping on some soap.
Feb 8, 2016 7:55 AM
Jul 2015
This is gonna' sound stupid but sacrificing themselves for humanity kinda kills it for me. Akame ga Kill would be a great example.
Feb 8, 2016 7:57 AM

Dec 2012
tennosai said:
i honestly think the worst way for any character to die is a meaningless and forgetful death which is done solely as a shocking plot device. example:

That wasn't shock value.

Can't be a meaningless death and for shock value when it was tailored for him specifically.
Feb 8, 2016 8:18 AM

Jan 2016
Illyricus said:
Sheele was just a plot device whose only role was being killed to show how in Akame ga Kill, even the good guys can die. Far from being the worst death of the series, especially when some of the late deaths of the series were pointless and forced.

The worst way a somewhat relevant character has to die is being killed for pure shock value, to be forgotten later.

I ended up realizing that after completing the series. It was to show that assassins are on the verge of death at almost any second whether they are good or bad.

It was the worst for me but not the worst of the series. I am sure I am in the minority here. The brutality of it was bit much. Seems that the rest of the deaths had some better type of justifications. To each his own.
Feb 8, 2016 8:20 AM

Aug 2013
I'd say that Akame ga Kill is just a bad example. The series is all about shock and gore, where the characters are merely plot device. They're designed not to be developed but to provide reasons for gory battles, and kill them outright just to further that. That's the kind of series it is.
Feb 8, 2016 8:25 AM

Jul 2013
Maverick69 said:
Illyricus said:

I ended up realizing that after completing the series. It was to show that assassins are on the verge of death at almost any second whether they are good or bad.

It was the worst for me but not the worst of the series. I am sure I am in the minority here. The brutality of it was bit much. Seems that the rest of the deaths had some better type of justifications. To each his own.
Imo,
Feb 8, 2016 8:28 AM

Jul 2015
After being NTRed .

A certain upcoming anime series based on a manga has strengthened my hate for NTR .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Feb 8, 2016 8:44 AM

Sep 2015
SSJToshi said:
This isn't anime-related but how de Caprio died in The Departed.
I think i will go with this, this one is the worst.
I honestly didn't see that coming, it happened out of blue. No chit chat, no sign, no nothing, one shot and next scene he had became a carcass. The worst part is he was killed by a nobody, a character that barely seen through the entire movie.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Feb 8, 2016 8:53 AM

Jan 2016
UpperCat said:
[
I honestly didn't see that coming, it happened out of blue. No chit chat, no sign, no nothing, one shot and next scene he had became a carcass. The worst part is he was killed by a nobody, a character that barely seen through the entire movie.

Ya agreed. It was very anticlimatic.
Feb 8, 2016 8:54 AM

Feb 2013
getting ran over by a truck @shiki (sorry @shiki the username)
Feb 8, 2016 8:56 AM

Jun 2015
a quick and meaningless death for nothing more than shock factor is probably one of the shittiest ways to go
Feb 8, 2016 9:14 AM

Jan 2016
Illyricus said:
Maverick69 said:

Imo,

That's equally brutal, it's a very close second. It's equally jacked up, since it wasn't completely shown I didn't feel as strongly.
Feb 8, 2016 9:17 AM

Apr 2014
You can use spoiler tags for that buddy.

Getting their head blown to pieces by a thousand nails.
Feb 8, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 2013
Being killed because of no reason other than why the hell not (looking at you Akame ga Kill).
Feb 8, 2016 9:27 AM

Dec 2015
On the toilet, during sex, when someone is about to say they love them, when they came back to life and someone kills them again right then and there, when they finally stop being a little bitch.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 8, 2016 9:36 AM

May 2013
personally, I'm looking forward how character died in show or anime especially girl. Cannibalism, mutilation, or killed by ordinary ways. It has some impact or wtf moment I liked. Don't care if it stupid or for shocking factor.
Feb 8, 2016 1:03 PM

Jan 2016
Raina- said:
Being killed because of no reason other than why the hell not (looking at you Akame ga Kill).

No sh*t, that was seemingly the reasoning behind all the deaths.
Feb 8, 2016 3:26 PM

Jan 2016
Maverick69 said:

I recently finished this series and I had a hard time with one of the characters, Sheele

That was a sad scene, but Chelsea's death was worse. She did everything right and ended up getting stabbed in the back, decapitated and eaten.

All the Night Raid deaths were extremely sad.
Feb 8, 2016 3:30 PM

Jan 2016
Isuru said:
Maverick69 said:

I recently finished this series and I had a hard time with one of the characters, Sheele

That was a sad scene, but Chelsea's death was worse. She did everything right and ended up getting stabbed in the back, decapitated and eaten.

All the Night Raid deaths were extremely sad.

The more I think about it they were 1a and 1b. Pretty messed up, both were by far and away the worse. Seems like jaegers got off way too easy.
Feb 8, 2016 3:36 PM

May 2015
An easily-avoidable death, one that makes you want to scream at the screen "dear god, what did you do that for?"

Example:
Feb 8, 2016 4:22 PM

May 2015
Seryu is best Akame ga Kill girl though.

Anyways, worst way for a character to go that you actually like is an anti-climatic death. Nothing built up, and the death has no impact.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 8, 2016 4:29 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I think one of the only death i'm still pissed off is in Akame ga kill too.

STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 8, 2016 4:33 PM

Jun 2014
DatRandomDude said:

only died for the sake of dying. The writers were like "oh, we killed off everyone else who was a part of the main cast; might as well kill her too"
Feb 8, 2016 4:37 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Ein said:
DatRandomDude said:

only died for the sake of dying. The writers were like "oh, we killed off everyone else who was a part of the main cast; might as well kill her too"
Yeah, because there wasnt enough death already. Just fuckin
This pissed the fuck out of me because at the end i was happy to see her alive till that moment.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 8, 2016 4:47 PM

Apr 2014
ixaa said:
a quick and meaningless death for nothing more than shock factor is probably one of the shittiest ways to go
this but I find one exception for this
Feb 8, 2016 4:53 PM
Dec 2015
A arrow to the kne.... Eh spine

Feb 8, 2016 4:56 PM

Oct 2015
DatRandomDude said:
Ein said:

Yeah, because there wasnt enough death already. Just fuckin
This pissed the fuck out of me because at the end i was happy to see her alive till that moment.

yeah she was my fave of all of them and they done fucked up
Feb 8, 2016 5:00 PM

Oct 2015
God bless the manga even though some deaths were unchanged which pissed me off at first but the story is actually compensating for the vomit inducing , Lazy ass bunch of deaths that had no weight nor impact and left a bad taste in my mouth .

This is why I rated the anime so low and digging the manga until now hopefully it will have a satisfying ending and not a similar one to the anime

And to answer your Question OP
And so many users already mentioned the an answer I was about to give I would say the second worst kinds of deaths to me is introducing a character for 2 min then killing him/her after that immediately , I mean why would you peak my interest in the first place ?
Feb 8, 2016 9:21 PM

Jan 2016
fairygood said:
ixaa said:
this but I find one exception for this

That was quite unexpected too. I didn't see it coming.
Feb 8, 2016 9:24 PM

Jan 2016
DatRandomDude said:

It was quite a pointless death. There was no need for it really. They literally killed most of the other characters by that point. Frustrating that they went that far for a little more shock value.
Feb 8, 2016 9:47 PM

Mar 2015
the worst way to die is by truck-kun. why? truck-kun have no mercy!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 9, 2016 12:18 AM

Jul 2013
RainyRai said:
Seryu is best Akame ga Kill girl though.
I fucking love you, mate.

DatRandomDude said:

Oh, yeah, that death xD It's like if White Fox decided that they didn't killed enough characters and killed her at the ending to finish the series with another corpse xD That pisse dme at the beginning, now it only made me laugh.
Feb 9, 2016 1:25 AM

Nov 2009
Kuma said:
the worst way to die is by truck-kun. why? truck-kun have no mercy!

Gotta love how he was defeated in Monmusu.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

85 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 7 minutes ago

0 by LenRea »»
7 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

60 by Ricchan__ »»
12 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 2 hours ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.