Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2015 7:54 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Watched it today at Fantasia movie festival. :)

The animation didn't disappoint, as expected of Production IG. The movie itself feels like a slice of life more than anything. I like the superstitious aspects they showed in the movie, even though it was odd to see supernatural stuffs in a realistic movie, I thought it blended very well with the narration. To be honest, the scene I like the most is the scene with the male prostitute (who turned out to be voiced by Irino Miyu). That part was hilarious. X)

I find that there is something lacking in the story to make me like it very much. But maybe because it is a rather historical movie, I think I mind the story aspect a lot less than I usually would.

The director Hara Keiichi was present at the screening (along with screenwriter,Maruo Miho, and the President of Production IG). And here is a few interesting things he said when answering the audience at the end of the movie:
- He wanted to be faithful to the manga in the way that the author, Sugiura Hinako, delivers the story. She does it implicitely rather than the with words (such as the scene when Nao "came" to see her father and Oei one last time.)
- The reason why he chose to use Rock music at the beginning and at the end of the movie is because he finds that Oei is a rock'n'roll girl. And he wanted to accentuate that.
- There is actually only about 10 paintings of Oei discovered. The very last one shown in the movie really exists. (By the way, that was a really sweet painting, my favorite shown in the movie).
- Not sure if if it is really related, but he answered one the of questions that he wanted the audience to live the Edo-period through Oei's life. I think that is related to why at the very end, we see the transformation of the Edo-period to the current Tokyo.

In the end, Colorful will remain my most liked movie from Hara Keiichi.
Jul 16, 2015 7:49 PM
Apr 2009
The thing about the story is that it felt more like a compilation of shorts rather than one cohesive narrative. When the end came, i was like: "wait, it's over?"

Otherwise, it's an entertaining film. The character interaction was great. Some sad & touching moments too.
Muy Dangerous thaivuN - The Anime Music Hipster
Youtube Channel
Oct 24, 2015 4:52 PM

Feb 2012
People in the audience were whispering "is she dead" when those awkward pauses when the blind sister fell into the snow occurred.

I got so confused when it came to the cross dressing sleeping part.

The subplot of a father caring more for his work than his daughter was powerful.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 1, 2016 6:37 AM

Nov 2007
Was surprised (not expecting about his character) @ Miyu-Miyu's character. The whole reason I decided to watch the movie because of him... (Knew how he looks from the visual, but didn't expect his character's profession) Interesting guy, though.

As for the movie itself, the story was interesting. So sad about the little boy.
tsubasaloverJan 1, 2016 7:12 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 10, 2016 1:18 AM
Jun 2015
I though historical anime movie told about Oei (Sugiura Hinako's daughter) and her family from Edo-period was so good, but I unknown why Oei's father, even though he couldn't cared for his youngest daughter more than he usually would.

Maybe Edo's japanese personality is Strict and Stubborn or Headstrong ?
HT72Jun 15, 2016 10:08 AM
Jan 24, 2016 11:50 AM

Apr 2012
All those Onao moments were heartwrenching.

What to say? Great IG, great Hara. Whoever has seen Coo knows Hara has an affinity with dragons, but when they kept coming back to the surnatural I realised it meant more, like emphasing the importance it had during that era. But at the same time there's something very timeless about how it's done, like even if time changes man still struggle with things he cannot comprehend.

And that's what so good about this movie: how the coming of age story feels contemporary. Probably because it's three-folded: the coming of age as a person (facing death), as an artist, and as a woman. And yes that was more slice-of-lify than plot-driven, but Hara made it relatable, fluid, and beautiful and that alone is no small feat.
EratiKJan 25, 2016 3:25 AM
Jan 25, 2016 4:22 PM

Mar 2008
Please!
Anyone who gets Ganbarou release extract the subtitle for those who already have raws.
Jan 27, 2016 11:45 AM

Jul 2012
I thought this was a wonderful movie. Very "Japanese"; if you watch enough Japanese movies, live action and animated, the seemingly "odd" presentation and how the plot is laid out is pretty common.

This movie was extremely well directed. I can see why it's been winning so many awards.
Jan 30, 2016 8:31 PM

Jul 2011
Kichiya, damn lol. Could not stop laughing.

And the little boy playing with Onao was adorable. :D

@EratiK, agreed. The mix of imagery and realism (events of her life) were done very nicely. It had a sort of magic to it, despite the fact that it was just glimpses of her life. Loved the imagery and her personality.

Fortress_Maximus said:
I got so confused when it came to the cross dressing sleeping part.

Edit: Refer to explanation below.
MirorinJan 31, 2016 4:34 PM
Jan 30, 2016 9:37 PM

Apr 2012
Mirorin said:
She wanted to lose her maidenhood after realizing that her crush had a woman, I believe. (Like drowning oneself in alcohol when depressed?) He fell asleep before anything really happened though, oh dear. XD
No the crush with another woman scene actually happens after her visit to the brothel. She goes there because everybody says her erotic paintings lack sex-appeal. Manji says something similar earlier in the movie as he doesn't understand why Tetsuzo even let her paint these since she isn't married (and is still a virgin).

Maybe Fortress was confused by the appearance of the prostitute?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kagema
EratiKJan 30, 2016 9:53 PM
Jan 30, 2016 10:21 PM

Jul 2011
@EratiK, they were walking together under the umbrella and she noticed a scent on him, though? I thought she realized at that point that he had another woman (or was visiting a prostitute). She then made a comment about him, and also mentioned Zen and her father regarding women (prostitutes). Maybe she was comparing her inexperience to her suspicions.

The theatre scene seemed more like confirmation that the guy's interests did not lie in her.

Oh yes, that's likely. It slipped my mind that most people don't know about male prostitutes/homosexuality and such in ancient Asia.
Jan 30, 2016 11:59 PM

Apr 2012
Mirorin said:
@EratiK, they were walking together under the umbrella and she noticed a scent on him, though? I thought she realized at that point that he had another woman (or was visiting a prostitute). She then made a comment about him, and also mentioned Zen and her father regarding women (prostitutes). Maybe she was comparing her inexperience to her suspicions.
I'm sorry but I think you completely misunderstood the scene. It goes like this:

So we have her pride hurt by Manji in the scene just before, then by Hatsugorou, plus desire = solve two birds with one stone, go to the brothel. No other woman is involved until the festival scene later. She had no reason to think he wasn't interested into her as he touched the ink stain on her face, and her shoulder under the umbrella.
EratiKJan 31, 2016 12:03 AM
Jan 31, 2016 12:38 AM

Jul 2011

Ah, thank you!!

I did think that what I interpreted was likely pretty wrong, because it didn't make much sense when she dressed up eagerly to meet him afterwards.
It didn't cross my mind at all that the hair oil was referring to him and not a woman, gj brain. :L

Makes me wonder how the relationship with Kuninao went afterwards, though I doubt she took a interest in him.
Jan 31, 2016 7:06 AM

Apr 2009
Pretty good movie, the leitmotifs and metaphors were on point and it was an overall well-paced, SoL-heavy coming of age story with beautiful art. My only two problems are the OST - who is just WAY too modern at times and really detracts from the atmosphere in key moments - and the explicit final narration scene (after Onao's picture) that softens the impact of the ending a bit.

But still, 8/10.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 5, 2016 10:21 PM
Dec 2011
the male prostitute was very interested in women that was great .. ohei left in the morning so did she did it ....! I don't know but I love this beautiful story :3
Feb 5, 2016 11:12 PM
Dec 2011
i love it... its a brilliant masterpiece I will rewatch it again and again until I die ,.... I love ohei she is so powerful and the story is beautiful and colourful . it feels like they are telling your story I relate very much to ohei chan I love her . its been a long time since I admired a strong powerful beautiful free minded full of adventure woman lead character and she is the best of all. this a beautiful masterpiece of art that moves I love it so much I will watch it a million times :3 you have to really watch it to understand the meaning and I did its the best movie in a while :3
Apr 27, 2016 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
Let me just preface this by saying I adore slice of life shows. This, however, was rather boring.
Jun 1, 2016 7:17 PM

May 2011
Great art and narration. The OST felt a little out of place sometimes but overall a pretty good movie. Onao was a adorable.
Oct 20, 2016 10:46 AM
Jun 2013
Overall i like it very much. I will be short. It's a slice of life about daughter , who's living in a shadow of famous father. The way they showing the moments from her life is touching, it gives perfect sensation of what she felt and what he searched in life. Authors did a great job!
Jan 12, 2017 6:58 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
o_o Wasn't expecting it to be that much of a SoL movie. Honestly, it ruined my expectations a bit, but I still enjoyed it.
Jun 5, 2017 8:30 PM

Jan 2014
so this sucked. awful soundtrack, made my ears bleed
Jul 21, 2017 9:19 PM

Aug 2013
While not a bombastic film that kept me on the edge of my seat, I really did enjoy this one actually. I really liked how "subtle" it was, and a learned something about a famous historical painter, that's pretty cool.
Nov 3, 2017 4:26 PM

May 2012
A bit of a different movie than I first expected, but still pretty good if you ask me! Quite liked the setting in general.
Nov 23, 2017 3:33 PM

Feb 2012
Rewatched it again today. So bob haircuts were even outdated back then?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 25, 2018 2:17 AM

Jan 2012
Oh wait, this was based on actual people? Huh...wasn't aware. I guess that gives it bonus points. Generally speaking though I think I have to be a bit unfair with this film because...I didn't really like it very much, and I don't think it's really the movies fault so much as it is mine. The setting was fine, the random scenes revolving around the paintings coming to life were fine and looked very nice at times. None of that bugged me, rather the emotional core of the film just left me moreso angry than depressed or moved. And I'm pretty sure I feel that way because I literally just yesterday watched another, better film that had a young girl die in it which was bad enough once. Just my luck that I'd pick two films in a row that would go that route. If I had watched this first, or some months later I probably would have been touched. And I mean it definitely was sad, Onao's fate. Doubly so with her repeated insistence that she'd go to hell. That was sad as fuck! And Oei looking up at the stars insisting Onao wouldn't end up there after drawing that beautiful picture of her was definitely moving. Just not enough to switch my overall feeling from pissed off to emotionally sad and moved. And Onao dying felt so obvious that I oh so wanted that reversal of expectations that didn't happen. Which as I just said probably wouldn't have been the case had I not watched this so soon after that other film, which isn't this film's fault. At the same time I can't deny my feelings and I gotta stick with them...so I can only give this a 7 out of 10. I'll just say to finish that the scene of Oei reminiscing while Onao played in the snow was definitely the best in the film, to me at least. Please, please let the next film I watch be more uplifting!
Apr 22, 2018 11:49 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
This movie was quite the specticle. I had very little knowledge going in other the a suggestion from someone I work with.

The movie is quite beautiful and consistent. Lets get that out of the way. The fluidity and historical implementation was a sight to behold and period pieces that go all in are it for me. I'd also say the few times (I wish there were more) of the animated painted inserts were so good, the hell scene particularly made me shudder in fear.

But there's a lot going on it this story. And it's pretty jumbled to say the least. Oei is a great lead, she's a bold character and a subtle women whose feelings and actions are quite pillar in this movie. The problem is that this movie has no direction to speak of. I guess you'd say they're small snippets of clips that are sewn together over this period of Oei life. From the life of her blind sister to the small details in her career and a infatuation with a man under her fathers skills these are the big chunks of the movie and I'd say looking into her actual paintings after I had watched this film was really fun and interesting to view.

I feel like this film wants to have a lot of things to say and have a lot of assets but doesn't weave them coherently. Certain characters could've been cut, certain scenes could've been more emotionally stacked. And as I have applauded the look of the movie, I feel like pushing the envelope a bit with more stylized work, to really capture the painterly feel would've done more, even with the story being directionless as it was.

I'd also say a big nitpick to me was the use of rock and guitar rifts in the ost for a period piece movie??? I have no idea what to say other then it kind of took me out of the movie from the get go and at the end too. There was one scene when her father fixed the hell scape painting and the use of violins was good for the climax but also weirdly out of place as well.

Overall it was a good time. More biographies of this nature in film fascinates me. I just want more risk to be involved. Especially since the Japanese will enjoy these types of movies either way.
Sep 20, 2018 6:47 AM
Jul 2018

Beautiful story overall though it was unexpected to see it ends in such abrupt way. I would agree with what others said about the OST, old school rock music sounds odd in a context of a movie setting, to say the least. Also one of the moments I didn't quite understand initially is the death of a blind child, probably because there are little clues about her illness, except she often asked her sister about the afterlife, which was kind of disturbing of course. Only when it was the last day before the death it was clear to me. Also how her death was accepted, like it's something you deal with everyday. But considering the setting of ancient Japan I think it was really common at that time. Nice movie overall, glad I watched it.
Oct 3, 2018 4:24 PM

Oct 2015
Hokusai was a real shitty father, he didn't even cry when Onao died. What can I say even when she was alive she hardly saw her, but only once in the story. That art portrait by Oei for Onao was really beautiful.

Such a heartbreaking story and a slice of life that is very good. Hokusai wanted to live to 100 what a greedy bastard, living to 90 was an already blessing for him.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 3, 2020 9:58 PM

Mar 2014
Watching the movie again for a 3rd time, something about it is really bothering me. Why is Onao is staying at a "monastery" when Christianity was still outlawed during the Edo period? Or are they using it in a different context from Christianity? It's a very confusing part of the movie for me right now.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Mar 23, 2020 9:34 PM
Jan 2020
This was cool, looked great, nice story. My only gripe really as that I would have liked to have seen more of the art aspect to their lives.
Mar 26, 2020 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
Plot? Development? Depth? Nah. Just a movie that wants to look pretty relying solely on good art and animation. Empty and boring. Meh. 5/10
removed-userMar 26, 2020 11:34 PM
Apr 17, 2020 10:47 PM

Aug 2015
The plot kind of went nowhere but it was still an enjoyable watch.

I was hoping to see more of Sayogoromo and Kichiya - they were the most interesting characters, even in passing.
Apr 18, 2020 10:09 AM

Feb 2019
A beautiful and subtle movie.

To be honest, the plot wasn't very engaging (given that it is indeed episodic in nature, even in the source manga which I haven't personally read), but I was glued to it all through its 1 hour and 30 minute length. The characters are interesting, and there's something mysterious about it all, with the implications and everything being very subtle.

I don't know how much of this movie is historical and how much is fictional, but it was certainly an interesting window into the lives of Hokusai, Oei, and Edo Japan in general. It was interesting to see how they lived and how Japan was at that period of time. We could really see it through the eyes of Oei.

The sub-plot about Onao was quite sad. I am not entirely sure what her relationship Onao as she is said to be her half-sister from Hokusai's first marriage, but if she is from Hokusai's first marriage and Oei is from Hokusai's second marriage, then why is Onao younger?

That being sad, it was still quite sad how he did not visit her, fearing illness and death. She died suddenly even though it seemed she was going to be better. I suddenly realised how the story often doesn't explain things in words but rather takes a more subtle route when the wind blew into Hokusai's house and it was at that moment that Onao came to see her father and her sister one last time. I fully realised her death when the red flower Oei gave her came to rest in front of Hokusai, wilted.

That last painting of Oei's was beautiful and sweet. I suppose this movie, or at least Onao, was inspired by that painting which I read in this forum from someone that it is a real painting of Oei's. It seems that Onao is fictional, though I cannot be sure. Nevertheless, it was a nice painting and the moment in the movie made it better.

A good watch.
Feb 15, 2021 2:21 PM

Aug 2017
I wonder if this could work as a series. Slice of life highlighting different episodes of Oei's life and how they help her improve her drawings, or something like that.

Anyway, this was a lovely movie with very few flaws (to my liking), but one of them was definitely the often unfitting music, especially those electric guitars. What about something else for an Edo period movie?
- The reason why he chose to use Rock music at the beginning and at the end of the movie is because he finds that Oei is a rock'n'roll girl. And he wanted to accentuate that.

Can't agree here at all. Oei didn't give off any "rock'n'roll" vibes.

Oei's interactions with Onao were lovely and touching, it was sad to see her go. Anime movies, stop introducing heartwarming scenes with children only to make them die later! And these children have similar haircuts way too often!
The sub-plot about Onao was quite sad. I am not entirely sure what her relationship Onao as she is said to be her half-sister from Hokusai's first marriage, but if she is from Hokusai's first marriage and Oei is from Hokusai's second marriage, then why is Onao younger?

Pretty sure there was only one marriage, and they're blood-related sisters.

The final "retrospective" should've been narrated with a more mature voice, and probably with an older Oei, I guess - since she was talking about Hokusai's death.
St0rmbladeFeb 15, 2021 2:33 PM
Jun 23, 2021 10:37 AM

Feb 2020
I didnot like it. Great adaptation (music, character designs and animation). Story is not good. Random episodic shorts with supernatural elements which make it look dumb and boring. It feels like like author's creative liberty and realism (historic accuracy) clashing against each other and undermining both.
In the ending, how did the girl even die....Did here ghost followed him and she died at home or did she actually followed and died in the road. More i think about it, the actions of the people kinds of feels dumb.
AdampkJun 23, 2021 10:46 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 9, 2021 4:23 PM

Apr 2016
What the hell was that?

No plot or character development, completely unfitting music.

So disappointing.
AmphyyOct 9, 2021 4:33 PM
May 18, 2022 5:04 PM

Sep 2020
I thought it was good, not amazing. 7.5/10

Definitely wasn't expecting a SOL but it kept me entertained. I really liked the supernatural stuff and O-Nao's story made the movie for me, but it lacked a bit more to make it shine. They just went around and did stuff with somewhat little setup. Maybe another 30 min with O-Nao would've been better. Like everyone else, the music didn't do it any favors either.

The biggest problem was I didn't get a feel for any of the characters, especially O-Ei's supposed struggles like trying to live up to her father's name since she seemed highly skilled already (other than that picture of hell that he had to touch-up). The 2 apprentices didn't add anything and couldn't been left out more.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jul 20, 2022 10:03 PM

Sep 2020
Boring ass movie. No plot what so ever. 2/10.

More topics from this board

» Trailer (4/9)

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2015

4 by oooo3333 »»
May 10, 2015 1:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.