Forum Settings
Forums

NY Times Manga Best Seller List for Jan 10 - 16

New
Jan 22, 2016 6:02 PM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
Graphic books best seller list (manga, light novel, and OEL) for January 10 - 16

*1. One-Punch Man Vol.4
*2. Naruto: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring Vol.1
*3. One-Punch Man Vol.1
*4. Blue Exorcist Vol.14
*5. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.1
*6. One-Punch Man Vol.3
*7. One-Punch Man Vol.2
*8. Naruto Vol.72
*9. My Monster Secret: "Actually, I am..." Vol.1
10. Tokyo Ghoul Vol.4

Source: NY Times Manga Best Seller List

Previous related news: North American Anime & Manga Releases for January

← Previous Week

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 22, 2016 6:03 PM

Nov 2011
Jitsu wa Watashi wa on the list this week...interesting.

Looks like One Punch Domination.
Jan 22, 2016 6:05 PM

Sep 2013
My Monster Secret, now that's a sight I'm happy to see.
Jan 22, 2016 6:06 PM

Aug 2014
The list is getting very boring and predictable.
Jan 22, 2016 6:07 PM
Jan 2013
Oh

Ooooooooooooooooooooh

Well, this catches my interest hard, I didn't even knew this was licensed
gone bai bai
Jan 22, 2016 6:24 PM

Jun 2014
JayBlue said:
The list is getting very boring and predictable.

Thankfully some entries have changed over the past couple of weeks, but yeah, for the most part, it's the same list with some minor differences.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 22, 2016 6:28 PM

May 2015
yeah finally something that is not shounen on the list

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 22, 2016 6:34 PM
Jan 2013
TheGeniusBaka said:
Actually, the whole list is still "shounen"
gone bai bai
Jan 22, 2016 6:36 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
ayyy Jitsu wa Watashi wa in the Top 10, now thats somethign different !
TheGeniusBaka said:
Jitsu wa Watashi wa is a shounen.
#gitrekt
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 22, 2016 6:38 PM

May 2015
Mkim said:
TheGeniusBaka said:
By Shounen I mean action oriented stuff.

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 22, 2016 6:40 PM
Jan 2013
TheGeniusBaka said:
Mkim said:
I KNOW RIGHT?

Actually, I don't, I didn't ever really read that, but I believe that's a comedy? Just seeing one up there soothens my heart
gone bai bai
Jan 22, 2016 6:43 PM

May 2015
Mkim said:
TheGeniusBaka said:
I KNOW RIGHT?

Actually, I don't, I didn't ever really read that, but I believe that's a comedy? Just seeing one up there soothens my heart
yup It is one of the better rom-com harem

Best Shitty Reviews
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 22, 2016 6:44 PM

Jul 2014
TheGeniusBaka said:
Mkim said:

there are action shoujo but anyway

BLUE EXORCIST!!!! EVEN THOUGH I DON'T READ IT ANYMORE!!!!!
Jan 22, 2016 6:46 PM
Jan 2013
TheGeniusBaka said:
Mkim said:
I KNOW RIGHT?

yup It is one of the better rom-com harem
Sounds like the kind of stuff for meeeeeeee
gone bai bai
Jan 22, 2016 6:59 PM
Dec 2014
One Punch Man still strong that's great
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2016 7:00 PM

Jul 2013
lol how the fuck did blue exorcist get up there

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 22, 2016 7:09 PM

Sep 2013
opm 4 is nr 1 again XD
Jan 22, 2016 8:22 PM

Jan 2012
talentlessash said:
My Monster Secret, now that's a sight I'm happy to see.

Indeed, got my copy earlier tonight. :)
Jan 22, 2016 9:11 PM

Aug 2015
oh lord that naruto sales though......baruto manga incoming...i can see it
Jan 22, 2016 9:13 PM

Aug 2015
Fuchsia said:

beacuse it's good...simple as that.....
Jan 22, 2016 9:20 PM

Jul 2013
ultravigo said:
Fuchsia said:

beacuse it's good...simple as that.....
it's just so strange though because you never hear anyone talking about it xp

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 22, 2016 9:22 PM

Aug 2010
Blue Exorcist is so boring lately...
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 22, 2016 9:55 PM

Dec 2013
Surprised to see Blue exorcist up there. Barely anyone mentions it.

Happy to see Jitsu wa on this list :)

OPM is still OPM.
Jan 22, 2016 10:25 PM

Apr 2014
Mkim said:
TheGeniusBaka said:

It isn't.

--------
Jan 22, 2016 11:22 PM

Jun 2013
Only 2 volumes of Tokyo Ghoul ;o that is surprising.
Jan 23, 2016 1:10 AM

Apr 2013
Always the same thing.
Jan 23, 2016 1:18 AM

Aug 2013
At this point, whats the point of posting this list weekly? We got the basic idea, Americans only buy recently hyped shounens.
''Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake''
-Anime
Jan 23, 2016 3:17 AM

Jun 2014
Simplo said:
At this point, whats the point of posting this list weekly? We got the basic idea, Americans only buy recently hyped shounens.
There's only like two shounen on the list though.
Jan 23, 2016 3:33 AM

Dec 2012
*2. Naruto: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring Vol.1
8. Naruto Vol.72

Leggo.

Boring list as usual.
Jan 23, 2016 3:35 AM

Aug 2013
Agafin said:
Simplo said:

What? 9 out of 10 volumes are shounen...
-Anime
Jan 23, 2016 4:01 AM

Feb 2013
Simplo said:
Agafin said:

One Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul are seinen, so there are actually 4 shounen volumes on the list this week
Jan 23, 2016 4:06 AM

Aug 2013
TheNextChamp said:
Simplo said:

One Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul are seinen, so there are actually 4 shounen volumes on the list this week

I do not agree. Ghoul is just a typical shounen with some gore to appeal to edgy teens and to pretend to be mature. OPM has basically everything every other shounen has. Just because its a parody doesn't make it any different.
SimploJan 23, 2016 4:11 AM
-Anime
Jan 23, 2016 4:25 AM
Jul 2015
Simplo said:
TheNextChamp said:

I do not agree. Ghoul is just a typical shounen with some gore to appeal to edgy teens and to pretend to be mature. OPM has basically everything every other shounen has. Just because its a parody doesn't make it any different.

Doesn't matter, they are published as seinen
Jan 23, 2016 4:37 AM

Apr 2014
Simplo said:
TheNextChamp said:

You're still wrong tho.
Jan 23, 2016 4:46 AM

Aug 2013
Dab1za9 said:
Simplo said:

Oh well, I look at we qualities of the work, you look at what they say on a label or something. ''Shounen'' has evolved into a genre with certain qualities to be expected, while seinen is still just an age rating. Just because a shounen has too much blood to be sold as a shounen, doesn't make it any less of a shounen.

But hey, if it makes you happy:
''At this point, whats the point of posting this list weekly? We got the basic idea, Americans only buy recently hyped shounens. manga, which is aimed at casual action audience''
-Anime
Jan 23, 2016 4:49 AM

Oct 2013
Simplo said:
Dab1za9 said:

Oh well, I look at we qualities of the work, you look at what they say on a label or something. ''Shounen'' has evolved into a genre with certain qualities to be expected, while seinen is still just an age rating. Just because a shounen has too much blood to be sold as a shounen, doesn't make it any less of a shounen.

''At this point, whats the point of posting this list weekly? We got the basic idea, Americans only buy recently hyped shounens. manga, which is aimed at casual action audience''

How can Shonen been transformed into a genre when other demographics also do the same things content wise it does? Also note that battle manga isn't everything that Shonen offers.
Jan 23, 2016 7:34 AM

Sep 2013
Dab1za9 said:
Simplo said:

OPM is regularly published in shounen magazines as well, so it counts as shounen and seinen.
Jan 23, 2016 8:51 AM

Oct 2013
ichii_1 said:
Dab1za9 said:

OPM is regularly published in shounen magazines as well, so it counts as shounen and seinen.

Nope, that are special chapters. Their objective is getting more people to know the work by showing it in other magazines(it doesn't matter what demographic they are, but mainly the genre), basically advertisement. It happens with a lot of series, even shonen series appearing in Seinen magazines. For example: Ore Monogatari got released in Weekly Shonen Jump in a crossover with Nisekoi, and Nisekoi appearaed in Bestuma(a shoujo magazine) in another crossover with Ore Monogatari.

One Punch Man is right now totally a Seinen Series, if we talk about the source material intent!

It would be a better argument if you talked that One Punch Man in the west is released in English Weekly Shounen Jump. So for viz its being directed to the Teenage demographic.
Jan 23, 2016 11:30 AM

Sep 2013
My god, there are people that, still on this year, believe that shounen or seinen are genres or that they have some "qualities to be expected".

There are far more manga than the ones published in Shonen Jump.
Jan 23, 2016 12:11 PM

Oct 2013
Simplo said:
Dab1za9 said:

Dude take a look at the seinen category.http://myanimelist.net/manga/genre/41 looking at the list should completely destroy your definition of what a seinen magazine is. The only thing I will say is that in a seinen magazine the mangaka has a bit more freedom to do what they want to do. For eg. Showing nipples, but even these days a lot of shounen magazine are giving mangaka all the freedom they want.

Basically don't take everything literally. I'm sure you could pick some shounen series that could fit your definition of a seinen or vice versa. Its far from being black and white. As in simple looking at it as in all shounen manga is for kids and teen, while all seinen manga is for adults, because they are all so mature. It doesn't work like that.
keragammingJan 23, 2016 12:15 PM
Jan 23, 2016 12:57 PM

Mar 2015
Avok said:
My god, there are people that, still on this year, believe that shounen or seinen are genres or that they have some "qualities to be expected".

even wsj has harenchi gakuen lol. they adapted to hentai BTW.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 23, 2016 1:18 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
Avok said:

That was the first Ecchi manga!
Jan 23, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2015
bigivelfhq said:
Kuma said:

> are you serious?
> checking mal database
> what i get even more shocking
http://myanimelist.net/manga/22118/Sexaroid (by matsumoto leiji, the author of captain harlock, ginga tetsudou and uchuu senkan yamato)
http://myanimelist.net/manga/50053/Suppon_Monogatari (by osamu tezuka, god of manga)
> lOl.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 23, 2016 1:32 PM

Jun 2014
I'm pretty hype for when 10 volumes of OPM releases in the US, so the list will truly become "One Punch"
Jan 23, 2016 1:38 PM

Sep 2013
Kuma said:
Avok said:

Oh yeah, by the great Go Nagai!
Jan 23, 2016 1:42 PM

Feb 2011
jitsu managed to sneak in? that's surprising

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 23, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
bigivelfhq said:

> are you serious?
> checking mal database
> what i get even more shocking
http://myanimelist.net/manga/22118/Sexaroid (by matsumoto leiji, the author of captain harlock, ginga tetsudou and uchuu senkan yamato)
http://myanimelist.net/manga/50053/Suppon_Monogatari (by osamu tezuka, god of manga)
> lOl.

It seems MAL call those series ecchi because they focus in a way or another in sex. If you go to Baka-Updates for example they aren't categorized as ecchi.
To note that Sexaroid came at the same year than Harenchi Gakuen, and it seems like a manga that tackles the concept of androids being used as sex toys. I don't think it really tackles pervertness like ecchi.
The Osamu manga seems like is a sexual dirty comedy. Instead of poop jokes, that the Japanese like, it had sex jokes. I didn't read the book, so I don't know if is in fact that, but if it is, isn't ecchi.

What I know is that at the time the Harenchi Gakuen was mega polemic because of being the first type of manga with this type of content, and so is considered the parent of modern Ecchi/Hentai.
The manga was so polemic to the point where the magazine was forbidden to include its chapters in certain parts of Japan. There was even a Protest against it where a ton of people took the volumes of this series and burn it in the Street. The author supposedly made a horrible ending to this manga, with every character dying in a horrible way(a protests I think) or something like that as a message for those protests.

Most Westerns don't know, but Weekly Shounen Jump is also known by its ecchi titles, and for defusing the genre. The genre in the magazine isn't as predominant as Battle Manga, and the magazine never went as crazy about the genre as other magazines do right now, but WSJ is known to have at least 1 really popular ecchi series at a given time. Shokugeki no Soma, To-Love Ru, I''S, Ichigo 100% and others.
Jan 23, 2016 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
Jerkhov said:
I'm pretty hype for when 10 volumes of OPM releases in the US, so the list will truly become "One Punch"

That's not going to happen, some of the earlier volumes are going to drop off the list eventually. Take a look at Tokyo ghoul for eg.
The only way that's possible is if they release all the volumes at the same time.
Jan 23, 2016 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
Holy shit I was able to predict that the list would basically look the same as last week

I must be an esper
Simplo said:
I do not agree. Ghoul is just a typical shounen with some gore to appeal to edgy teens and to pretend to be mature.
You are 100 % correct
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 23, 2016 3:18 PM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
Jerkhov said:

That's not going to happen, some of the earlier volumes are going to drop off the list eventually. Take a look at Tokyo ghoul for eg.
The only way that's possible is if they release all the volumes at the same time.

A man can dream though
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
1 minute ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 9 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.