Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2015 6:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa intense episode.

This episode really got into the plot with the introduction of Kagari and her siblings. They are important characters in this series so glad to see them. And it's even nice to learn about their origins too as she is a Kamaitachi. The fight/conflict itself also got dramatic. I like how Ushio seems to understand what they are going through and helps them.

Felt bad for Kagari tbh but it was overall a nice episode with some intense feelings.
Stark700Aug 28, 2015 7:44 AM
Aug 28, 2015 7:46 AM

Mar 2014
At first I thought they where pieces of the car but then I realized those are decapitated heads.

The blade coming out of her body

made me remember this scene from Durarara!!x2 Ten ep.3
DesuTronicAug 28, 2015 8:06 AM
Aug 28, 2015 8:10 AM

Feb 2014
We finally got to see Raishin and Kagari. This was one of the earlier stories that I was looking forward to, and they didn't disappoint yet again.
Aug 28, 2015 8:17 AM
Mar 2013
another monster of the week episode

I really hope it stops soon
Aug 28, 2015 8:35 AM

Jun 2014
came for my weekly dose of ushio to tora, was not disappointed
:3
Aug 28, 2015 8:49 AM

Feb 2015

So much feels. I sympathized with Juurou a bit. I'd probably feel the same way if I got chased out of my home. Since Ushio offered to find them a new home, it would have been nice to see the problem resolved with no one dying so I'm kinda disappointed that things ended the way it did.

Also I like how the episode showed not just man's capacity for cruelty but also kindness when those workers answered Ushio's call for help.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2015 8:54 AM

Jun 2014
Looks like next episode is gonna be good
Aug 28, 2015 8:58 AM

Feb 2014
Aridus said:

The 'Kappa' part in the next week's episode title is actually a mistake on Crunchy's part - it's supposed to be child instead. Not the first time they mess up, of course.
Aug 28, 2015 9:00 AM

Jun 2014
HitsuWTG said:
Aridus said:

The 'Kappa' part in the next week's episode title is actually a mistake on Crunchy's part - it's supposed to be child instead. Not the first time they mess up, of course.

It's still called kappa tho https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)
Aug 28, 2015 9:17 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode was the perfect balance of intensity and overall kindness/family bonds and I loved every bit of it

I really like this family of yokai and I also like how it brought out new sides in both Ushio and Tora and made them grow as people

That ending though TwT Even though I didn't want him to die I think that he made the right call considering that his crimes couldn't have gone unpunished
TokoyaAug 28, 2015 9:36 AM
Aug 28, 2015 9:23 AM

Aug 2010
Man the art in this series is amazing. I just love the details in it.

Juuro's character design was awesome. Sucks that he died :/
And for a stupid reason to add <_<
Aug 28, 2015 9:33 AM

Jan 2015
the quality of the animation was wow this week. great episode
Aug 28, 2015 9:45 AM

Sep 2013
Tokoya said:
That ending though TwT Even though I didn't want him to die I think that he made the right call considering that his crimes couldn't have gone unpunished

It wasn't about his crimes, even if he stayed they would have to take human forms and never live free.
Like the guy who threw rocks at him, even if yokai get accepted they will still get killed by the bad humans and deforestation.

So sad

Aug 28, 2015 9:47 AM

Sep 2013
This anime is really taking plot convenience to a whole new level. Everything just always magically comes into place. Like in the beginning when those rabid squirrels or kamaitachi needed the beast spear wielder - boom, found him. I think they're skipping a lot of content in the manga but I dunno since I havent read it.

Well this was still a pretty enjoyable episode although the drama made me cringe a little.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 28, 2015 10:14 AM

Apr 2014
That jungle gym doe T-T

Aug 28, 2015 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode.

It was too bad that Juurou died!
Aug 28, 2015 10:30 AM

Sep 2014
I don't know why but this episode makes me want to scream.....
Not because of this environment message at all or this tragic sibling story or the fact Ushio understands the pain of the kamaitachis....

It's just, even if Ushio tells humans to not destroy their home......That won't change anything...
Humans will see them as a threat, they will want to make sure they won't be a danger for them and I'm sure this problem won't be brought back anymore in the show...

And when I hear this guy "Well, I'm human. I can't just ignore someone who's calling for help.", I just want to smash my head on my keyboard.

I don't know exactly how I can explain in what this episode get out my nerves, but how this environment-hope in humanity message is done (like in most of shows like this one) makes me mad.
Aug 28, 2015 10:43 AM

Jun 2014
For some reason this episode felt kind of rushed. I'm not saying this should have been stretched out over 2 episodes or anything, but yeah....it just felt rushed to me.

I also thought it was a little far-fetched for Ushio to compare the pain of losing a jungle gym to the kamaitachis constantly losing their homes. I mean really, it's most likely much easier to find a replacement jungle gym compared to constantly finding new homes (that won't be torn apart for a golf course or an apartment complex or something).

Anyway, the action in this episode wasn't bad and it was still pretty enjoyable, despite some obvious flaws.

Balong said:
It's just, even if Ushio tells humans to not destroy their home......That won't change anything...

And when I hear this guy "Well, I'm human. I can't just ignore someone who's calling for help.", I just want to smash my head on my keyboard.

+1
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 28, 2015 10:55 AM

Apr 2013
great episode.
Aug 28, 2015 11:17 AM

Jan 2015
And there Tora help Ushio again with the exact same reason.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Aug 28, 2015 11:50 AM

Jun 2014
worst episode so far.
that was lame
Aug 28, 2015 12:03 PM

Oct 2014
Xynic said:
This anime is really taking plot convenience to a whole new level. Everything just always magically comes into place. Like in the beginning when those rabid squirrels or kamaitachi needed the beast spear wielder - boom, found him. I think they're skipping a lot of content in the manga but I dunno since I havent read it.

Well this was still a pretty enjoyable episode although the drama made me cringe a little.

This was adapted from an old shounen and I am pretty sure most shounens are plot convenient. There are more than enough examples like - OP,Naruto,Bleach, Ao no exorcist , Soul Eater.
~~
Plot wise it was not much to praise, a simple plot about humans being greedy and ambitious and Nature personification in the form of Kamaitachi .. delivering a message to ambitious human race.
All in all it was an okayish episode.. felt that they made it over dramatic though.
The workers pushing the truck to save those Kamaitachi was also a nice touch telling us not to lose hope in humanity though.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aug 28, 2015 12:37 PM

Jul 2015
Damn. Juuro was fucking awesome. He made his point clear at the end decided to die instead of taking human form. I guess death was the only way he could be free. The art was amazing. So much detail in the face expressions looked amazing!
Aug 28, 2015 1:29 PM

Sep 2013
Iizbakaokay said:
Xynic said:

This was adapted from an old shounen and I am pretty sure most shounens are plot convenient. There are more than enough examples like - OP,Naruto,Bleach, Ao no exorcist , Soul Eater.

I know what you mean but the difference between the shounen anime you mentioned and this anime is that in Ushio to tora's case its very abrupt and I start to get annoyed by it. Usually I just ignore these kinds of things but when it happens every episode and its like they dont even try to hide then it is already something I cant just pass off. But really, I think they're just skipping parts in the manga or making things a lot more convenient to squeeze a whole story in one episode because so far this anime have been very episodic.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 28, 2015 1:35 PM

Feb 2013
Thought they would skip this part of the manga/OVAs but I guess I was wrong. Man the animation in this week was horrible. Only like 5 frames worth of combat and the restwas just corny 80s environmentalism.
gedataAug 30, 2015 6:30 PM
Aug 28, 2015 1:41 PM

Apr 2013
this is sooooooooooo shounen.. this episode was weak.

I enjoyed the first couple of eps but these past few weeks had lots of cringing moments.. dunno if I'll keep up with it.
Aug 28, 2015 2:40 PM

Mar 2015
Pretty good episode.
Aug 28, 2015 2:41 PM

Jan 2015
Great episoe, enjoyed it, but they could've probably said indangered species lived there, than construction would've never started ..
Aug 28, 2015 3:08 PM

Aug 2015
It was sad. Poor Juuro... ;o;
Another episode that introduced characters that will make a appearance later on.
I hope the main arc begin soon...

Madara22 said:
Great episoe, enjoyed it, but they could've probably said indangered species lived there, than construction would've never started ..

Or maybe they could have sought for a natural reserve to live. But Juuro killed a lot of innocent people so he needed a kind of redemption...
piau9000Aug 28, 2015 3:22 PM
Aug 28, 2015 3:30 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome episode. Loved Juuro's smile. Sad he's gone but it was for the best
Aug 28, 2015 4:42 PM

Jun 2012
Xynic said:
Iizbakaokay said:

I know what you mean but the difference between the shounen anime you mentioned and this anime is that in Ushio to tora's case its very abrupt and I start to get annoyed by it. Usually I just ignore these kinds of things but when it happens every episode and its like they dont even try to hide then it is already something I cant just pass off. But really, I think they're just skipping parts in the manga or making things a lot more convenient to squeeze a whole story in one episode because so far this anime have been very episodic.

Since it's in episodic mode maybe it tends being that way. Anyone know if the episodic episodes will end this season? An arc once in a while would be nice.
SnaitaAug 28, 2015 4:48 PM
Aug 28, 2015 5:05 PM

Jan 2011
Good to see the kamaitachi episode and the introduction of Kagari and her brother who do play a role in the further plot. Hopefully we'll see some of that in the next episode., As to how they could find Ushio so easily, the Beast Spear is a powerful artifact and the youkai are aware of its passage through their area. Because of this and a couple of other things, there actually are rumours flying through the youkai population, and it's not as if killing a major and famous youkai like the one who attacked the airplane or the sea monster is going to leave you unremarked.

Up until now Ushio's only response has been to kill the youkai and demons. With the kamaitachi trying to live with humans, we suddenly have another possibility thrown in to the mix.

@Snaita The manga is split up into small mini-arcs of usually four or five chapters. The adaptation has been taking each of these mini-arcs and creating one episode. However it isn't just episodic. If you think of the development we've had so far, we now know a lot more about Ushio's father (originally just a rather strange geezer with boring stories) who turned out to be a powerful exorcist in a mysterious temple organization created for a purpose yet to be fully revealed. We've also seen that one of his friends, Mayuko, may be the reincarnation of another powerful individual from a previous age. We've learned that for some reason the youkai hate Ushio's mother, the subject of his current journey. Each episode is revealing another piece of the puzzle. Also as some people have posted above and before, the people and youkai he meets in these episodes will reappear and play important parts later on. Ushio and Tora change and grow with each episode, and we find out more about the underlying arc.

tl;dr you're already in the midst of an arc, it just is slow in development and assembling the individuals who will be needed to resolve it.
rodacAug 28, 2015 5:26 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 28, 2015 6:37 PM

Dec 2014
Damn, Juurou was a cool character.

Balong said:

+1
Aug 28, 2015 8:32 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty good epsiode..it shows that humans & monster can be alike
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2015 9:02 PM

Oct 2011
NOOOOOOOO T___T
Aug 29, 2015 12:32 AM

Jan 2011
Aridus said:
HitsuWTG said:

It's still called kappa tho https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)
Except the next part doesn't involve a kappa, hence the mistake.
Aug 29, 2015 12:39 AM

Jun 2015
Fantastic episode overall. Intense and a lot feels too!

Aug 29, 2015 12:49 AM

Jun 2013
rodac said:

However it isn't just episodic. If you think of the development we've had so far, we now know a lot more about Ushio's father (originally just a rather strange geezer with boring stories) who turned out to be a powerful exorcist in a mysterious temple organization created for a purpose yet to be fully revealed. We've also seen that one of his friends, Mayuko, may be the reincarnation of another powerful individual from a previous age. We've learned that for some reason the youkai hate Ushio's mother, the subject of his current journey. Each episode is revealing another piece of the puzzle. Also as some people have posted above and before, the people and youkai he meets in these episodes will reappear and play important parts later on. Ushio and Tora change and grow with each episode, and we find out more about the underlying arc.

+1
Aug 29, 2015 3:15 AM

Mar 2013
I can't believe they skipped the story before this, which was actually important to the overarching plot, but kept in this bullshit. I hated this story in the manga, I hated it in the OVAs, and my god do I still hate it now. It's annoying, it's stupid, it's preachy. The plot is bad, Juurou is bad, the message is bad... It really should've been the other way round.

The most annoying thing about this though is how it portrays humans as being cruel to youkai as though they don't have reason to be. Wow, yes, what bad humans for throwing rocks. They're like 10 foot giant-toothed weasels with sickles for ears. Throwing rocks to try to shoo them away is really one of the kinder options, especially after Juurou trashed their construction site. There's also the issue of "they destroyed our home!" when no-one even knows youkai exist and the youkai work to maintain that state in the first place, but that's another matter entirely.
Aug 29, 2015 6:14 AM

Feb 2012
Well this episode really showed the source material's age. As well as Mappa's budget problems.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Aug 29, 2015 7:17 AM

Sep 2014
I loved this episode. Yes, it was preachy and shite, but it was a great episode nonetheless. Can't wait for the next one.
Aug 29, 2015 8:05 AM

Jun 2013
damn she's hot lol well that ending was sad
Aug 29, 2015 9:11 AM

Jun 2013
JD2411 said:
another monster of the week episode

I really hope it stops soon

It's from an 80s manga, what did you expect?
Aug 30, 2015 2:55 AM

Jul 2015
That was one BIG no no to me...

Ushio's reaction to the couple's request was shouting, insulting, and became bratty/bitchy character.

Why? is it that he's a kid. tch. is it that it's the common response to his type of mc? is it that killing a rogue, murdering yokai sOOOoooo incomprehensible. tch. grrrr.

SSSttttoooOOOOPPPpppidd! AAnnoooyyinggggggg! That reaction/response grrrr. sigh. now that that's vent out....

to me, that was one abnormal, out of this world, no way reaction, a booooo reaction. I was so annoyed, I skip a couple of frames, else I'd drop the whole series then and there, that's how aggravated I was to this one scene. (deep breath, understand that this is old school stuff)
Aug 30, 2015 3:46 AM

Aug 2014
"I hate you all! Die!"

Typical Yuuki Kaji line.

Weakest episode so far, the so called "emotional scenes" were too laughable for me to even take serious and this part takes the cake xD
( i know it's an 80 series but still)
[spoiler]
Aug 30, 2015 6:13 AM

Jan 2011
fyi it's a 90s manga.

Don't expect it to get any less cheesy, it's part of the charm though.
Aug 30, 2015 3:34 PM

Dec 2012
I am becoming kinda bored about this pacing, one week one Yokai. I hope a big arc will happen quickly.
Aug 31, 2015 4:47 AM
May 2011
Sakaitsu said:
I am becoming kinda bored about this pacing, one week one Yokai. I hope a big arc will happen quickly.

Well, then you will have to wait until episode 11 or 12, but all these weekly characters will come back later for plot purposes
Aug 31, 2015 1:04 PM
Aug 2014
Born in the 80s, grew up in the 90s. Love how this show makes me feel nostalgic.
Aug 31, 2015 4:48 PM

Mar 2009
^Same.

I actually remember this story from the old OVAs, despite it being years since I've seen it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2015

63 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 8, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2015

216 by LancelotSB »»
Mar 18, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2015

75 by Maou_heika »»
Mar 11, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2015

144 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 2, 2023 9:09 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2015

48 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.