Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2009 7:46 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode. Honda making a comeback, and Goro made a friend :D.
Apr 11, 2010 10:15 PM

Feb 2008
wonder if Toshi is going to be his catcher for the rest of this series?

wouldn't a ligament injury in your elbow stop you from swinging a bat too?

I think that people will have a hard time believing that Shigeno didn't go easy on him.

I hate parents like Toshi's, they think that anything important to their children is nothing more than a bargaining chip :/
not only did she use it to blackmail him but she also threw it away, its like she has absolutely no respect for him whatsoever :/
Apr 18, 2012 9:03 PM

Mar 2011
What a sweet episode, Toshi looks like a good, loyal friend.

Surprised Honda is able to swing a bad after a supposedly serious ligament injury.
May 2, 2012 9:22 PM

Jun 2011
Ahhh.. Friendship is a nice thing, isn't it? I am so touched..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 29, 2013 8:08 PM

Jul 2008
The hits just keep on coming. They manage to fit so much into one episode, its quite nice.
Dec 20, 2013 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
Ohmigod, Toshi is so adorable and he'll be even cuter when he grows up.

WolfWood37 said:
They manage to fit so much into one episode, its quite nice.

I know right?! It's amazing how much I get from just one episode!
Apr 8, 2014 4:03 AM

Jun 2008
what a bitch mother
Dec 26, 2014 8:35 AM

Nov 2009
Wait . . . So he is 5 years old and his mother is already like "You need to study for your future!" . . . I also noticed he had cake in his room. Does she not care if he grows into a little chubby kid? I mean she seems to not want him to exercise at all . . .

Anyways, super happy that his dad might make a comeback, kind of had a sad life after last episode, would be nice to see something go right again in his life.
Apr 28, 2015 10:26 AM

Feb 2015
Toshi's mom is seriously horrible.

Great for the dad but ...tbh, wouldn't his injury affect batting as well??
Jun 25, 2015 12:45 PM

Aug 2013
Awwwwn, that was so fucking sweet :3
Everything went right. Well, for now.

Shigeno is a bro. He did what he had to, that mean giving him no chance. Making it easy would only have made his failures more bitter in the ligue.

From the preview, I guess his dad don't want him to join a team because he don't wanna see him get hurt..? On the other hand, they play with softballs, so...

Also, I feel ya' Goro... I'm not a super fan of baseball, but when I tell people I love it, it's always : ''You love baseball?! But it's so boring...'' :|
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 20, 2015 2:37 AM

Jun 2009
toshi's mum is a cunt.

also, thanks FUCK for goro's dad. misunderstanding crisis averted.
Aug 5, 2015 1:31 AM

Jan 2013
Solid episode. I wonder how long Honda has left in his career.
Aug 12, 2015 3:01 PM

Jan 2015
Honda being able to bat seems a bit too convenient. I mean, he's still injured right ? I'd think you'd need both arms for that. Especially for hitting a homerun against the number one pitcher of the team... But w/e, for the sake of the plot i guess.

And also the overused trope of the strict japanese housewife. Gotta wonder if it's just a cliché or if women are really that annoying over there :p
Mar 20, 2016 2:00 PM

Mar 2012
Now that's more like it, pretty great episode :) Good to see Honda was able to pass the batting test, with a homerun at that. I can't believe how much of a bitch Toshi's mom is. The kid isn't even in elementary school yet and she's forcing all that crap on to him >_>

Tyestor said:
toshi's mum is a cunt.

He gave him some great advice, pretty cool dad and character so far.
Apr 13, 2016 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
Nice hit Honda!
Goro found himself a friend to play catch ball with, too bad that his mother is the type who only thinks about studying.
May 2, 2016 11:54 PM

Feb 2008
Tyestor said:

More anime need Koyasu Takehito's wise advises. He could prevent stupid conflicts in so many shoujos lol.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 30, 2016 9:31 AM

Nov 2008
ZetaZaku said:
Tyestor said:

More anime need Koyasu Takehito's wise advises. He could prevent stupid conflicts in so many shoujos lol.

I saw this episode yesterday and I told the same advise to my 13 year old niece. She had quarreled with a girl friend. But today she sent me a selfie with them together again!
Aug 16, 2017 2:32 AM

Nov 2011
This show really does seem to pack a lot of content into one episode without the pacing feeling too fast. It's very easy to watch.
Dec 8, 2017 3:12 PM

Nov 2016
Comeback here we go.

And new friend is the first step for a future team.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 2018 4:38 PM

Sep 2011
I was so happy when he was able to finally hit the ball...
Jan 27, 2018 1:34 PM

Jul 2010
Yay Goro made a friend, did it have to be a fucking dorky ass kid tho?

Jk, I'm sure he'll be an awesome teammate later on.
May 13, 2019 11:35 PM

Jun 2016
After that mostly tragic first episode a sweet and exhilarating one was well deserved! Goro was such a strong boy as he tried to lessen his dads pain by even rejecting to play baseball with him. And Honda doesn't want to get Goro's hopes up and crush them either. It's a lot of good intentions between them both. With the line about the faith Honda had in his son coming back when he got hungry I felt he may overestimate his son but he is a loving and great dad, and Goro is one strong boy!

It was adorable and sweet that Goro threw rocks at Toshi's window and got him to come out and play, pushing him past his comfort zone but giving him some really nice and inspiring words while he was at it. "You don't need to be a pro but let's play some more. You'll definitely like it!" I'd wager Toshi wanted to play with him all along but was too shy to initiate it himself, and I can see why he's so subdued with such a strict mom. I wonder if this is going to be Goro's Shigeno!

Then we had the cheesy but still exciting trial that Honda went through. It built him and Shigeno's relationship more too! Shigeno wants the best for Honda but he'll make sure to push him if he has to. Both are quite the resolved guys so I'd like to see Honda look out for Shigeno one day. Step one to making a comeback as a batter is done.

Last thing I want to touch on was how wise Honda's words were about friendship. Don't give up on your friends! You can see he and Shigeno live with that in mind too. To always talk to them and not abandon them because if it's a misunderstanding you'll be the one hurting them. It was good advice and I could understand why Goro would be so hurt thinking Toshi betrayed him!

turbulent said:
Another great episode. I love the drama and the day to day interaction between characters. Somehow reminds me of Initial D with the everyday repetition of life but this is quite different regarding the approaches it took from what the story was about
I had the same exact thought but I wasn't sure how to express it so I'm glad someone else thought the same.
Nov 13, 2019 5:25 PM

Sep 2018
Wahhh Goro makes me cry T---T I can't see him playing baseball on his own :(
but later on.. he finds someone he can play with <3
Jun 27, 2020 5:20 PM

Dec 2007
hate Toshi's parenthood, just like other characters that have parents like this will end hate their parents and will go in his own will.
it's amaze me that there's so much in only one episode, it make me feel i'm watching a movie, wonder how much they can keep with it.
anyway i hope already to see a match already, it doesn't matter to me who, honda or his son.
Oct 14, 2021 9:36 AM

Jul 2015
I always thought everyone on the team had to bat but seeing Goro's dad do a position switch from pitcher to batter I did a quick google search and learned Japan uses the Designated Hitter rule for most of its leagues meaning that someone else can bat in place of their pitchers

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 5 Discussion

Knave - May 14, 2009

33 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 22 Discussion

removed-user - Dec 30, 2009

40 by Cam1922 »»
May 16, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Knave - May 14, 2009

103 by arcticmontys »»
Feb 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Is there Romance in this series.

_winterbear_ - Sep 14, 2022

4 by Unowen »»
Sep 14, 2022 3:49 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 17 Discussion

TowardsTheStars - Apr 20, 2012

21 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 3, 2022 9:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.