Forum Settings
Forums
Mardock Scramble
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 31, 2012 6:06 AM

Oct 2009
Oh how I cringed watching her being taken advantage of.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2012 3:54 AM
Feb 2011
Quite a good watch. Loved how she went pretty much crazy while killing those guys. Though after being treating like shit for the most part of her life that was to be expected when she got a bit of power. The art was superb and the acction was really great, though I disliked the music that was played during it.
Jul 27, 2012 3:53 AM
Sep 2009
Well, there's an hour wasted on over-pretentious bullshit I'll never get back. Like earlier comparisons, this did bring to mind stuff like GITS - although unlike that classic this failed to draw me into it's world or get me interested in the storyline.

Gets a 4 or possibly 5/10 for me.
Aug 10, 2012 9:59 PM

Nov 2011
Excellent animation style and theme.

There's a lot of uncensored scenes, more than I expected but nonetheless good as it contains a psychological style.

And damn, look at those matrix dodging and shooting skills courtesy of Rune Balot. The girl's got skills.
Aug 14, 2012 8:58 AM

Aug 2009
I loved it.Its like a darker version of Ghost in the Shell Movie.
Aug 21, 2012 2:51 PM

Jul 2011
Guys, it's quite obvious that there is a little difference between Kite and Mardock, Kite is a hentai and this is a anime movie, don't forget this.

Anyway this show is great, I love series like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Blade Runner, etc (cyberpunk works).

9/10
ainkyAug 21, 2012 2:54 PM
Sep 22, 2012 8:02 AM

Jan 2011
a nice show, we dont get to see much about the world setting tho

the fight at the end is well done, but i dont really understand why Balot suddenly changed into a cold-blooded person
Oct 6, 2012 10:53 PM

Aug 2011
I... Holy shit. How good was that. How good was that?! I am utterly in shock. Why is this not widely known? Why isn't this highly rated? It's comparable to Kara no Kyoukai... no, it's even BETTER. I just... wow. The animation. The art. The setting. Everything. Everything was just wow. I don't even know what to think. This DEFINITELY needs to be more popular.
Oct 10, 2012 2:29 PM

Jan 2012
Finally got to see this movie. And I have to say wow, it was awesome. Loved the plot and loved the golden mouse lol.

Oct 13, 2012 12:56 PM

Jun 2012
I was hesitant to watch this but sooo glad I did.
The rebirth, the court scene, & Balot imitating Fleshie are going to be stuck in my head from their amazingness. The hill scene got me a little bit too, she just wants to be loved!! D:
8/10
Jan 1, 2013 1:45 PM

Jun 2009
While the girl is cute(her interaction with the mouse and doctor is also adorable). The setting/world is also fairly interesting.

I really do like Rune-Balot, it'll be a lot of fun to learn more about her... If there's anymore(I think there is)

But... The world is not nicely introduced, such as what are average teenagers Balot's age are like in that city? How does the law enforcer works? And a bunch of others are left out/not taken into account.

The action scene are great, and the villains are somewhat interesting in a weird way.

The pacing is easily this show's biggest enemy, Balot need a lot more character development and moments of her own, to really let me learn about her and let her grow on me.

I mean, it's interesting... In fact I would call myself a fan... But it's just off, too many things are not present.

While I do enjoy this show, I simply cannot give it anything higher than 5/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2013 2:07 AM
Jan 2012
How do you pronounce the main character's name. I was watching it in English and some characters would say her name differently. Also when I try to switch to Japanese in the language setting it won't let me turn it on.
Jan 28, 2013 12:36 PM

Mar 2008
why isn't this more popular?!
fuck that was breathtakingly awesome!
And the mouse is fabulous :P
Feb 12, 2013 12:04 PM

Feb 2011
The animation looks too similar with K . But nice movie xD
Mar 6, 2013 1:59 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Picked this up quite by accident and was very pleased with it. Good cyberpunk with lots of action and some ver neat ideas and animation.

Balot's story was really sad and f@cked up though. I hope the poor girl catches a break for the next 2 parts.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 18, 2013 2:51 PM

May 2012
Interesting concept, some intense start of what will become great action in the next couple sequel movies and the ecchi is somewhat balanced that it doesn't bother me all too much! Even my favorite voice actor Norio was in it so it made it extra epic! Those dude's sure were a weird group ;p

Quite an intense movie especially the ending, though sad that that Oeufcocque had to die or at least it looked like that. Story wise it had quite a great development toward the cliffhanger ending of this first movie so lets now see what the sequels will bring!
May 20, 2013 12:27 PM
Jul 2012
Ahh motherfucking cliffhanger! Glad there is another movie.
This movie is so great!
Man I feel sadden by Balot has been going through.Man I glad Oeufcocque helping her doing it.
Those creatures are so odd.
9/10 need to watch the second movie now!
Jul 30, 2013 6:25 PM

Jan 2011
7/10
Sep 23, 2013 10:02 AM

May 2013
wow what a show got me stuck and even rewatch it

10/10 from me
Oct 1, 2013 9:41 PM

Jun 2011
i'm re-watching this trilogy.
one of the best visuals/animation ever! beautiful!! the only noticable CG is the cars and that's it.
i love the characters.. Rune <3 i adore her.. she has a very sad past! and mad RESPECT for her brother.. Oeufcoque he's funny and cute :p i like his relationship with rune.
the OST is nice too.. overall one of my fav. movies..
10/10
Oct 15, 2013 4:50 PM

Apr 2012
the premise interested me and the city looked great but I wasn't feeling much else.

Blue diamonds from exploded girls eh?
Random magical mouse eh?
Guy with eyes all over his body just 'cause?
meh
Nov 18, 2013 3:17 PM

Apr 2009
Well that was different...first the victim got killed, revived, then they got up and sued the asshole who tried to murder her by arson/firebombing the limo she was in. Going to the trial, I thought they went Suits or some other American court drama out there. There's a mish mash of Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Kite and other anime because of the bad-ass female lead. O_o It's probably unfair but I couldn't help the comparison. >_<

The Bander Snatch (a Lewis Caroll fictional character) assassins sent by Mr. Boiled totally got what they deserve, almost equal to their sins...uhmm fetishes and to their nicknames. Fingernail got his fingers severed, Wink got stabbed by Hair who auto self-destructed, Flesh got shot by Mr. Boiled and Mr. Pussyhand (he's got a real pussy in his hand and it's not feline, OK?) get new holes in his body! Blood and gore all over!

UnbornMVs said:
The animation looks too similar with K.

Yeah first thing that popped in my mind as well.

The art and animation was hands down gorgeous, the action was great, the plot was interesting to say the least. 8/10 for now. I gonna watch the next episode as soon as I'm done downloading the big file size fansubs on a piss poor connection. X_X
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 15, 2014 6:19 PM

Dec 2013
Finally got around to watch my blu ray copy of this film after having originally seen it online over a year ago, and it is just as good as remember it to be. Great introduction to this trilogy of films. Animation is superb, and so were the characters that were introduced (the important ones at least, particularly Ballot). Only gripe with this film (and the other 2) is that they aren't longer, even with the extra scenes of the directors cut.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Jan 28, 2014 6:32 AM

Apr 2013
Not bad. It reminds of GITS movies. The art and the character design was very good. Can't say anything about the story yet. And the ending was a total cliffhanger :s
Feb 2, 2014 3:21 PM

Jun 2012
This was a pretty edgy movie, beautiful animation though.
Feb 21, 2014 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
Man my thoughts about this sure are scrambled right now. I loved the art and the overall visuals were stunning. This movie really didn't pull its punches with the graphic content. Balot's past and her life as a prostitute were well portrayed, it was disturbing enough to send the message, although sometimes it felt as though it was just being done to test how extreme they could get with it. Balot's view on the world and her conversations/interactions with golden mouse (too lazy to look up spelling) were fascinating and I felt like the use of Amazing Grace at the end helped capture Balot as a character.

Another thing I really found interesting about this was during the fight with Pussyhand, Balot started to get a taste of what it was like to have control. It was her first time being empowered and seeing the psychological effects it had on her were fascinating.

Overall I'm going to say a 7.5 or 8/10, it was a nice reminder as to how ugly the world can get, but also how there's beauty hidden in the rough.
Mar 23, 2014 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
Probably one of the most disturbingly beautiful anime I've ever watch.
Brilliant art and animation, though the CG cars can be a bit jarring.
Balot as a character is fascinating, yet horrifyingly surreal. Her grimdark past almost rivals to that of Guts. Her interactions with the cyber mouse(?) is a sad but entertaining experience. She shows hint of her 'messed up' side, almost going berserk during one of the killings. I hope we see her character get more development in the next 2 movies.
The villains were atrocious, possessing weird names and fetishes; and fittingly killed.
The plot's still in development. Some more info on how the world works would've been nice.
Nevertheless, a very entertaining watch.
8/10.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 4, 2014 4:34 PM

Jul 2013
I hate when visuals are wasted on terrible writing.
May 8, 2014 2:10 PM
May 2009
I wanted to drop it in the middle, horrible character writing and development. Finished it, does it get any better with the next two movies?

6/10
Jun 20, 2014 3:04 AM

Oct 2013
that cliffhanger how could you not watch the next movie O_O
[/quote]
Aug 18, 2014 2:22 AM

Jul 2009
It's like "A Kite"...I can't understand why she accepted the abuse of her father, she should have done something, but in the trial she said she loved him (as a dad) so I believe she was thinking she was helping him somehow...She is awesome using guns, now I will have to watch the other parts...
Sep 17, 2014 8:51 PM

Nov 2012
What an incredibly underwhelming movie.
Oct 18, 2014 9:30 AM
Dec 2011
i watched in english dubbed this whole time and i missed so much to the story ....oh my god.....they cut a lot of the scenes going to watch it again in subs :3
Dec 24, 2014 1:10 PM

Jul 2009
Amazing film!!

Great artstyle and Animation by Go Hands is pure bliss :)

Art kinda looks like K' TV which is not surprising since both are made by Go Hands :)

Story starts out slow. The atmosphere and technology reminds me of Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel series ^^

Lots of rape scenes and all. I'm glad watched the director's cut uncensored.

It starts out slow, but man the build was worth it ^^

Feel sorry for Balot. Being treated like that since her child days. I'm glad Oeufcoque and Dr. Easter saved her life and gave her a new start.

I love the relationship between Oeufcoque and Balot. Both are looking for the purposes of life. And i'm surprised she fell in love with Oeufcoque so easily. I guess that's how she got taken advantage off.

I feel like there's a bigger picture than all of this. Why is Septino's keep erasing his memories whenever he encounters woman as he plays with them?

Boiled is created by the same technology developed by Dr. Ester and Oeufcoque. Wonder why he revolt? Is it because he knows their monsters and all?

I kinda lol'd at the boss enemies XD

Medium the Fingernail, Mincemeat the Wink, Rare the Hair, Fresh the Pike, Welldone the Pussyhand LMAO XD

Balot's skills are amazing! The way he shot those bullets in pin point accuracy is crazy!!

And her armor and skin suit, so badass!!

I have the BD's so i'm watching them on PS4 yo!!!

Can't wait for the next movie!!
Feb 10, 2015 11:43 PM

Mar 2012
Interesting setting, beautiful artwork, and a story that feels like a been there seen it before thing. Pretty disappointed. We'll see if this changes...

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Feb 10, 2015 11:44 PM

Dec 2012
Wow. Interesting.
[right]
"The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them."
Apr 2, 2015 4:57 AM

Nov 2011
shit cliché everywhere

Oeufcoque and Boiled are the BEST things here

My first Ubukata Tow was ARISE.

Haven't I learned?????

WHAT KIND OF A WAY TO END A MOVIE WAS THAT??? WHAT THE FUCK'S WITH THE ENDING SONG???

SHIT RORI, THIS IS FUCKIN WRONG

No I don't care about the disgusting shit

I care about how FUCKING STUPID IT WAS

Guys, where is the story
May 4, 2015 5:37 PM

Feb 2015
Pussyhand what a name, Mc got a pretty fucked up past pretty solid 6/10
May 15, 2015 4:35 AM

Dec 2010
....WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH!!!
Jun 22, 2015 12:28 PM

Aug 2013
It hard to rate the animation. Too much 3dCG for me, but 2d scenes was nice.

Story was interesting. 8/10
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 7, 2015 12:53 AM
May 2015
Omg, poor girl.

She was raped by her own father, involved in child prostitution.
And this guy burned this 15–year-old girl alive...

It is really too much.
Sep 11, 2015 10:39 AM

Aug 2013
That cliffhanger! What a way to end a movie.
Oct 10, 2015 10:46 PM

Sep 2013
It was okay at best, not necessarily, just nothing special or revolutionary. Will watch the other two ones to see if it gets better.
Dec 31, 2015 1:28 PM

Feb 2015
Wow... that was really good. I cant believe they ended like that... along with Amazing Grace.

Makes me feel bad for the people that had to wait a year to know what happens next.
Feb 9, 2016 3:27 PM

Jan 2014
That was quite ok, and the animation was excellent.

I wonder though whether I'm the only one that had to read the MAL description to get why Shell wanted Balot dead. From the movie I got that he felt she'd broken his rules, but nowhere is it said what she actually did.

Stuart Little instantl became one of my favourite characters by the way.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Mar 2, 2016 3:36 PM

Jan 2012
zetsu_shoren said:

I care about how FUCKING STUPID IT WAS

Guys, where is the story

thank u , u have said what i wanted to say

AnimeThink said:
....WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH!!!

You are not alone i feel the same

Apr 18, 2016 10:16 PM

Sep 2010
Glad I picked up this movie. I loved K Project and this was one of their earlier works, but the quality is still there. MC is mysterious and overall I love her design and character development. Excited that it's a 3 trilogy movie series, I can't wait to watch the rest. To the people complaining about the lack of story, I felt this was just an epilogue giving insight on the backstory for the movies to come. Overall I give it a 8.5/10. Thought it needed a more thriller techno OST towards the end (If only it had Sawano :(
Apr 20, 2016 4:15 AM

Jul 2008
I have to see the other 2 movies to judge this properly, but nothing I've watched has gotten such a Ghost in the Shell vibe as this. I loved it.

But boy there is some messed up shit in this...I give it a 7/10 for now subject to change after seeing all three.
Feb 21, 2017 12:58 AM

Nov 2009
Was ok. Entertaining enough... sort of. I'm all for sad yet beautiful stories but this was more on the plain depressing side. It reminded me a lot of Ghost in the Shell, which I was never a fan of because it was full of overly philosophical and long drawn out conversations. As if they were trying to make it sound highly intelligent but I just found it unnecessary and boring trying to keep up with the nonsensicalness of it. Like there's a pretty cool concept at it's core but the way it was executed was meh in my opinion. I mention Ghost in the Shell because I found Mardock Scramble: The First Compression very similar but actually better because it had conversations that weren't as over done, more action and creepiness. The way the MC falls in to her role and her tragic past is (or should I say, could have been) interesting. Still I thought it was lacking in execution. I had high hopes for this before watching it; as I like stories of tragedy. Overall, too depressing and gloomy for its own good, felt a bit rushed and didn't make me care about the characters as much as I wanted to. Held my attention only just but my partner fell asleep. Will get around to watching the sequel, probably. 7/10.
Nov 4, 2017 4:16 PM

Oct 2015
Balot sure overused him, shame the little guy I really dig him. Those Bander snatch guys were the creepiest villains I have ever seen in my life, those weird fetishes especially the boss he was above the rest. Oh my goodness the guy who has those boobs, yuck I am glad Boiled killed him let me as all of them I am glad they dead. I usually sometimes root for baddies but those ones were way beyond me, they so lame and repulsive.

Look forward to the second movie and I hope Oeufcoque is okay.
lihle808Nov 4, 2017 4:20 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Mardock Scramble

LightningSoul - Sep 4, 2017

7 by Salty-GB »»
Jul 23, 2021 5:45 PM

» /

delete_plz - Jun 7, 2010

7 by ZaMpa »»
Mar 31, 2011 4:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.