Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 20, 2008 4:08 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ahh T.T Greed died.. I was starting to like him too.

Mar 29, 2009 5:25 PM

Jan 2009
Ed seemed to take it kinda hard. Odd, how he's the one who killed him. Wha'd he expect would happen? I guess he couldn't stand the thought of killing someone. Even if he wasn't human. That's probably why he still didn't want him to die.
Apr 16, 2009 5:57 AM

Feb 2008
Aw Greed T___________T
I liked him aswell. Kudos to Romi for Ed's voice acting in this episode. Especially with his despair after killing Greed.
May 16, 2009 5:06 PM

Feb 2009
AnimeQueendom said:
Ed seemed to take it kinda hard. Odd, how he's the one who killed him. Wha'd he expect would happen? I guess he couldn't stand the thought of killing someone. Even if he wasn't human. That's probably why he still didn't want him to die.

It's not that odd. Taking someone's life, even if that person is a murderous scumbag, is something that weighs on any person, let alone a 15 year old kid.

There's a reason why in most police departments a cop has to give up their gun for a while after shooting a criminal, even if the shoot was 100% legit. Taking a life, even when it's the right thing to do, can screw with someone's head in unpredictable ways.

Jun 19, 2009 10:57 PM

May 2008
wooo
fights are getting better :D
Jun 30, 2009 1:50 PM

Jul 2008
(Why do characters die right after I start to like them? I hope Greed's only living subordinate turns up again, alive.)

I'm interested in seeing if by the end of the show Ed thinks the homunculus have a right to live. I wonder what would have happened to that kid if Envy didn't give him those stones.
Jul 15, 2009 9:26 AM

Dec 2008
awesome ingenuity by ed. and noooo greeed T.T
its hard seeing my two most favorite characters fight against each other.
at least greed served as experience for when he fights the other homunculus
Sep 19, 2009 11:54 AM

Aug 2009
Grreeed! Nuuuum...
At least he told Ed the homunculus' weakness
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Nov 29, 2009 2:45 PM

Aug 2009
great episode!!
Sep 13, 2010 4:02 PM

Jun 2009
greed died cant say i didnt see it coming but ed being the one to kill him the was a surprise
Oct 4, 2010 2:15 PM

Jun 2009
Wow... very good episode!

Nov 6, 2010 11:23 AM

Feb 2009
Wow that was amazing... Seriously one of the best episodes so far and an incredibly befitting conclusion to this mini-arc.
Feb 22, 2011 4:00 PM

May 2010
I feel sorry for Greed.
Mar 19, 2011 5:53 PM

Jun 2009
I love FMA fights, because they are short and oh so sweet. Sometimes it is very easy to forget this is a shounen.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 19, 2011 6:35 AM

Dec 2010
:X And so Ed killed for first time, and not only that, but he killed the wrong guy. I knew that Greed was nice character even if he's antihero. This is the third time I really hate what happens in this anime. I get the feeling that whenever cool character comes out, he's destined to be killed :X
May 26, 2011 1:08 PM

Jul 2010
so the bones are the weakness?? odd

Jun 1, 2011 9:17 PM
May 2011
So what exactly are those stones that Envy gave the kid? What were the implications of Greed having puked them out? And why did he say, "No, my life!" when it was happening?

I'm confused as to what Greed's goals were. He wanted Ed to kill him? Why couldn't he just stay alive and ally with Ed?
Apr 11, 2012 9:19 AM

Nov 2011
I am also going to go with the statement of all cool characters are going to die.
Sep 7, 2012 7:04 AM

May 2012
Great episode the ending was quite epic but also sad at the very end!
Oct 5, 2012 11:57 PM

Jul 2009
also Lust said she is the 2nd "Lust"

does that mean the original "Lust" died??

Gluttony just ate them just like that O_O

sad episode :(

i was hoping to see more Greed since he was seen in the opening many times now.

so dante just dies just like that??

pretty nasty.

so Lyra kills dante and knows how to kill Greed too??

i guess the bag that Kimbley stole was Greed's corpse??

so what about the other bones?? was that Eric and Al's mother since Greed said Homunculus are weakened with the person your trying to resurrect?

or the bones themselves that weakened them??

i though homunculus are born from the mistake of alchemy and was not originally born in this world??

soo many questions!!!!!!

that Lyra must be one of those Homunculus!!!

can't wait for the next episode :)
Oct 17, 2012 9:08 AM

May 2012
Man, I forgot how weird this anime is compared to Brotherhood, mostly concerning the Homunculus

It's too bad Greed dies in both versions, because i always love having Chris Patton around!
who_dat_ninjaOct 17, 2012 9:14 AM
Jan 1, 2013 7:52 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I feel sorry for Greed, he wasn't all that evil =(
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jun 14, 2013 5:59 PM

Oct 2010
There goes one of my fav. characters.
Aug 19, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2013
AnimeQueendom said:
Ed seemed to take it kinda hard. Odd, how he's the one who killed him. Wha'd he expect would happen?

Well, most of Greed's "life" was already coughed out anyways when Laila did that transmutation circle to weaken him. So what Ed did shouldn't have killed him if he was at 100% health.

It wasn't all of Ed's fault that Greed died.

That being said, Ed is so smart :)
Sep 18, 2013 2:11 PM

May 2013
Al is too nice for his own good
Nov 24, 2013 7:50 AM

Nov 2012
The first great fight in the show, the previous fights we had were lame. but it's not like FMA need a fights or something anyway, it's the kind of show that focus on the plot more.

so .. that's it ? Greed role in the show is OVER ?!!! such a disappointment -_-!
Greed FMAB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Greed FMA.
it was such a waste for a great character like him to end that way, he was a lot better in Brotherhood.
+ why was Ed sad about Greed's death ?!
Nov 24, 2013 7:57 AM

Nov 2012
Soooo .. Lyla killed Dante ? didn't see that one coming!
Jan 30, 2014 8:53 PM

Jun 2012
omg Greed died so easy right now sure he was weakened but still this was a bit to easy. at least he gave Ed a lesson that is what it is to kill someone maybe now Ed can get stronger cause until now he never killed someone which was also a good thing but it seems he could never win from the Envy and the others another way.

i knew there had to be a big weakness but then again this means he first has to find the bones of the person they wanted to revive that can be pretty hard.

damn it i knew from the start this maid wouldn't turn out to be good there was no way in hell she would have had a change of attitude so big but i got no idea why she had to kill Dante.

i guess Dante was right farewell this probably the last time i see you.
RobertovkJan 30, 2014 9:02 PM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Feb 28, 2014 8:58 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Another awesome character dies.. :/ Felt a little bad for Edward..

Jul 30, 2014 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
I liked Dante, it was sad she died.

Greed looked crazy like in normal form! I knew Ed would have to kill him in the end.
Sep 22, 2014 2:02 AM

Jan 2014
And goodbye Greed.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 28, 2014 12:23 AM
May 2012
Damn, I was eating my lunch, and then, he starts puking.
I knew Greed isn't that bad.
Jan 13, 2015 2:42 PM

Jun 2013
Can't believe I'm saying this, but... rip Greed. And I'm really starting to become worried about Izumi sensei.
Feb 5, 2015 10:42 AM

Apr 2013
That second half is so irritating, I just can't make any sense out of it ^^
Feb 16, 2015 1:12 AM

Jan 2014
An unexpectedly touching episode... And even more questions about homunculus o_o
Feb 23, 2015 3:16 PM

Jun 2014
RIP Green :(

Gluttony and Envy are the ones I can't stand though!!!!!!
Mar 13, 2015 5:19 AM

Sep 2014
This episode didn't make any sense whatsoever...

First Greet let go Al and got all selfless and stuff over Martha. Then he barfed out those stones rambling about how that's his life. Next second he is a jackass to Ed and doesn't even try to defend himself against Ed's accusations of being Dante's murderer. Then he is all healed up again, despite barfing out his life before and obviously being in a weak location according to the explanation in the end. Then he gets killed by a jab in the heart while we have seen that such jabs can't kill humunculi on mutliple occassions before. And in the end he is all nice again and gives Ed his wish of revenge? Sounds to me like a bunch of people wrote that without communicating with each other.
Mar 14, 2015 9:05 PM

Feb 2013
Miragee said:

First Greet let go Al and got all selfless and stuff over Martha. Then he barfed out those stones rambling about how that's his life. Next second he is a jackass to Ed and doesn't even try to defend himself against Ed's accusations of being Dante's murderer. Then he is all healed up again, despite barfing out his life before and obviously being in a weak location according to the explanation in the end. Then he gets killed by a jab in the heart while we have seen that such jabs can't kill humunculi on mutliple occassions before. And in the end he is all nice again and gives Ed his wish of revenge? Sounds to me like a bunch of people wrote that without communicating with each other.

Wow you really did not get this at all. The reason why Greed didn't try to defend himself against the accusations is because he wanted to set up a scenario in which Ed would kill him and prove that Homunculi can indeed die after losing the Philosopher's stones inside of them. It was the end of the line for him after having lost his immortality so he decided to go out swinging whilst giving Edward the edge over his fellow Homunculi. He decided that trusting Edward with this information would be a surefire way to bring his brethren and Dante down with him.
gedataMar 14, 2015 9:09 PM
Mar 15, 2015 4:42 AM

Sep 2014
gedata said:
Miragee said:

Wow you really did not get this at all. The reason why Greed didn't try to defend himself against the accusations is because he wanted to set up a scenario in which Ed would kill him and prove that Homunculi can indeed die after losing the Philosopher's stones inside of them. It was the end of the line for him after having lost his immortality so he decided to go out swinging whilst giving Edward the edge over his fellow Homunculi. He decided that trusting Edward with this information would be a surefire way to bring his brethren and Dante down with him.

Nice, he could have done that without a fight then.
Mar 17, 2015 9:31 AM

Feb 2013
Miragee said:
gedata said:

So? He just wanted to toughen up Edward a little before dying
gedataMar 17, 2015 9:34 AM
Mar 17, 2015 11:55 AM

Sep 2014
gedata said:
Miragee said:

That's logic I would expect from a generic shounen and not from a supposedly intellegent show. Btw. you brought up another point: If he wanted to give Ed the edge over his fellow humunculi why didn't he tell him everything in the end? For example about Dante.
Not to mention all the other points I brought up and you didn't adress. This episode was just full of bad writing.
Mar 22, 2015 3:55 PM

Feb 2013
Miragee said:
gedata said:

That's logic I would expect from a generic shounen and not from a supposedly intellegent show. Btw. you brought up another point: If he wanted to give Ed the edge over his fellow humunculi why didn't he tell him everything in the end? For example about Dante.
Not to mention all the other points I brought up and you didn't adress. This episode was just full of bad writing.

What more did he need to say? No, what more could he have known that would've been useful. Mind you he was dying at the time too
Call it shounen logic all you like but I at least understand why things played out as they did. And even if they didn't fight and Greed just told Ed everything (which would be out of character really) it would just be a different way of obtaining the same result but less fun.
gedataMar 22, 2015 4:22 PM
Apr 11, 2015 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
Still one of my favorite episodes, the last bit of choreography between Ed and Greed is awesome even if it's short lived. I do prefer Greed's role in Brotherhood, but this was an important step in 2003's story as well. It's interesting to read the responses to Lyra, makes me wish this was airing so the forums would be lively.
Jun 24, 2015 7:13 PM

May 2015
Greed wasn't in this series long enough. He was really cool
Jul 10, 2015 5:32 PM

Nov 2014
I guess when Greed knew he'd lost, he started selling out the other Homunculi because he knew there was nothing left he could gain.

Poor Ed...He'd never killed anyone before =( But at least now he knows how to take out the other Homunculi! Dunno why I'm putting this in a spoiler tag, but...

And where did Lyra go? Hmm...

And did they bury Greed right next to Dante?....
BlackFox24Jul 10, 2015 5:36 PM
Nov 9, 2015 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
Gosh! The narrative arc, ending in a very sad and dramatic, are sad because the character Ed is still so immature to events, intriguing mysteries that have been discovered, now you start with a newfound awareness of what is the truth and the army of those who are still largely in the dark; I am even more curious than before. Greed although little, proved to be a very interesting character and a good characterization.
Nov 25, 2015 2:40 AM
Nov 2014
Greed was cool.
Dec 3, 2015 4:18 PM

May 2014
Damn if only Greed told Ed where Al was in the first place. Wonder what Lyra is up to though! Is she working with the military or the homunculi? I thought she seemed nice D:. On a side note, Lust's boobs are getting progressively larger and rounder lol.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Dec 15, 2015 6:00 PM

Dec 2009
1 down 6 to go!
Such junk...
Feb 13, 2016 1:19 PM

Dec 2013
Going to miss Greed

Respect to his subordinates!

Did Dante actually die? I have a feelings she's still alive.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 )

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

63 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 2:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.