Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jan 9, 2015 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
Oh wow that was amazing!! It was so intense!! So who went to where in the end and what the hell did the old man say to him? I need to know that!!!
Jan 9, 2015 6:34 PM

Feb 2010
Well, that was very interesting. Seeing as how I actually watched the first episode of Death Parade before watching this, I have an idea of what their fates are.

This is what I think happened from my point of view:

In a game of billards, both have that connection in that at some point in their life this game holds great memories for them.
Yet, the old man is far more experienced, and as the bartender has said he "was probably predicted to win".

And in the end, the young man wins. He fights so desperately for his life, and this is a game with their lives at stake after all.
So, in my eyes, what happened at the end was that the outcome of the game did not determine their fate.
The game of billards, is much like an analogy for life. One is far more experienced. One has some experienced.
The point of the game was to watch who valued life the most, and the person who does gets a second chance to be reborn or reincarnated.

Not entirely sure what the old man said at the end, but I'm pretty sure that smile was not an innocent smile haha.
I think that if I was in the old man's position I'd maybe laugh at the irony of the situation but smile looked a bit more malicious
Jan 9, 2015 9:14 PM
Jun 2014
old man reminded me of netero from hunter x hunter especially with that smile at the end in the elevator.

also their are multiple exceptions to where they end up and based on the possible hints and clues.

The young guy went to heaven and the old guy got an extra life. Old man technically won the game of pool based on pool rules(which could possibly be something the 2 guys were whispering about) and he also never showed hate for the young guy's reaction. The young guy realized what he has done and regretted it.

Old man wanted to taste the pickles/beer combo so only way that would be possible is if it was brought back to life again. The young guy went to heaven because the butler guy told him to rest in peace which i doubt going to hell would be "peaceful".

I think the masks are their to trick people seeing as this looks to be an anime where you have to account for every detail and the fact that where they ended up wasn't obvious based on what you see or else the chick would at least know where they would end up because she works there.
ToMuchMayoJan 9, 2015 9:22 PM
Jan 10, 2015 7:36 AM

Nov 2013
This could have easily been a prequel to Death Parade instead of "alternative story" as described on MAL. Good episode.
Jan 10, 2015 12:07 PM

Oct 2009
7-8, but would give it 7, because of the lack of explanation at the end.
Why did the old guy go to Hell?
Gib [img] plz
Jan 11, 2015 7:32 AM

Sep 2011
Macko7 said:
Now we know who went where. In first episode of Death Parade was explained what the masks over elevator doors mean -
the masks likley play no role in who goes where in addition to
[spoiler]Hell and heaven being different than reincarnation and the void

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 11, 2015 2:30 PM

Jun 2014
Watched this after I saw the first episode of Death Parade.
It was pretty good.I was hoping to learn a bit more about the setting,but that's not really the case.
Well,it looks like people that don't play are turned into puppets like the one at the piano,but that's about it.
tery999 said:
7-8, but would give it 7, because of the lack of explanation at the end.
Why did the old guy go to Hell?

Actually we don't even know that for sure.
Jan 11, 2015 3:32 PM

Apr 2013
So I watched it to find out more after watching ep 1 of Death Parade, but I'm not really smarter than before. Although it made me want to know the solution even more, so I'm even more excited for the next episode of Death Parade^^
Jan 11, 2015 10:37 PM

Jul 2012
This show definitely gives you more questions than answers. I love it, but hate it at the same time hahaha.

Definitely my kind of show with the concept and the dark and psychological aspects. And with Madhouse at the helm, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the TV series.
Jan 12, 2015 10:03 PM
Jul 2013
What i think everyone is forgetting is that, we are never told that 1 has to go one way an the other the other. I watched death Parade before i watched this one, and there is no heaven there is void and reincarnation. I believe they both deserve reincarnate, none of them deserve to go to the void. Unless in a later chapter, they let us know that for them to both go to the same place they both have to be in the same elevator, i believe they both got reincarnated. I f not ill go with the old guy going to the void.
Jan 13, 2015 6:50 AM

Sep 2012
Just watched this so I can watch Death Parade.

That was good. I don't like much the story, I hope it gets better in Death Parade.

The animation was pretty good.

Macko7 said:
Now we know who went where. In first episode of Death Parade was explained what the masks over elevator doors mean -

Oh, but I want to know what the old man said.

Gotta watch Death Parade now.
Jan 13, 2015 3:44 PM

Jun 2010
damn bruh the feels at the end though, and he got School Day'ed by his girl. well at least there wasn't a boat XD
TheLastKing360Jan 13, 2015 3:50 PM
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jan 13, 2015 3:45 PM

Jul 2012
I'm glad to see this at an 8.00 average on MAL! :)
Jan 13, 2015 3:50 PM

Jun 2014
It's pretty cool to see that this will probably be an episodic style series, with few overarching characters.
Jan 15, 2015 2:06 PM

Dec 2013
Well this was pretty interesting I wonder what it was the old guy said in the end. I guess more will be explained while watching Death Parade.
Jan 15, 2015 2:09 PM

Jun 2013
mayukachan said:
I'm glad to see this at an 8.00 average on MAL! :)

As expected, Death Parade's effect.
Jan 17, 2015 2:04 PM

Dec 2013
Why jiji went to hell?
Hyped me even more for Parade.
Jan 18, 2015 5:47 AM

Aug 2014
I didn't expect that the old man was the one going to hell, I thought it will be the young dude because he was trying to kill the old man. Dat twist.
Awesome movie, and i'm enjoying the series right now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2015 6:04 PM
Oct 2014
Man the movie is awesome. The atmosphere was amazing, the characters interesting, the story interpretable.

One thing I dislike though was the idea of getting killed because you cheat. Not only that, but going to hell because of that without having much an opportunity to repent. Kind of hate Otoko's girlfriend/wife for that. But I guess that's what the game was for. To fight fate and prove you don't belong in hell, even though the character did the exact opposite and pretty much assured his place in hell by killing the old man.

That being said, he could have still ended up in heaven if the old man traded places while speaking with Decim.

The thing though, the whole thing seemed rigged. The game was predetermined to be billiard for Otoko to loose (so initially one would assume he was predisposed to go to hell from the beginning), and then he won, but the only way he could win was by killing the old man (which also kind of targets him for a place in hell). Feels like "damned if you do, damned if you don't".
Jan 26, 2015 10:24 AM

Oct 2013
Really disappointed that we didn't get to know who went where at the end, but ok episode.
Jan 27, 2015 4:18 PM

Mar 2012
I kind of wish we got to hear what the old man told the bartender. At the very least we get to see the masks above the elevators so we know who is going to be reincarnated. (I was really rooting for the old guy especially because of how belligerent the young man was.) I guess the old man might be paying for his sins of being a delinquent during his youth and possibly? fighting in the war and killing people. I mean that's what I got from the scene with the warplanes, but I could be wrong.
Feb 2, 2015 4:22 PM
Jul 2014
eddo209 said:
Really disappointed that we didn't get to know who went where at the end, but ok episode.

What are you talking abouy?
Feb 3, 2015 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
It sure was an interesting little movie. But it really lack of an explanation at the end. It is too much of an open ending for me...

But in any case, it make a good mysterious ''prologue'' to the actual serie. THe guy breakdown was really well done, in term of voice acting and animation. Yuuichi Nakamura really is a top tier VA, he have nothing to prove.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 7, 2015 5:57 PM

Aug 2014
I just couldn't understand how could the old man went to the hell and the other guy went to heaven?
Now, leave this question, it was a very particular episode... Interesting at all.
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Feb 15, 2015 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
So the old man went to hell if one takes the masks above the elevators in account. I really want to know what his last words were.

Feb 27, 2015 9:30 AM

May 2014
That was really cool! :D

Lichtspiel said:
So the old man went to hell if one takes the masks above the elevators in account.
That may be or may be not. But I guess the old man's smirk right before the elevator was closed confirms that. Who knows what kind of atrocities had he done in his life.
Feb 27, 2015 11:22 PM
Dec 2013
It is pretty well confirmed that the masks match up. They are not always the same in the anime followup, and Decim has stated where some participants have gone, and it matches up with the masks. The masks can also change, as there was one episode with two white masks, or "reincarnation" masks.
Mar 4, 2015 4:09 PM

Jun 2014
I'm thinking that the old man asked Decim to send the younger dude to Heaven and him to hell? Who knows. That was great through! Great introduction to Death Parade. 9/10
Mar 6, 2015 3:43 AM

Jun 2011
That was boring. I lost interest completely the moment the old man fought. I also feel that it's "pretentious".

I guess it's still good for what it is, that is to train the young animators.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 14, 2015 5:17 AM

May 2014
i thought this was pretty good. showed the heart of darkness within man and was entertaining for 25min
Mar 14, 2015 6:11 AM

Jun 2013
So good. That twist at the end...

The old man was sent to the void, and the young man was reincarnated. Well, what did the former say to Decim at the end? I think he wished he would sent to the void instead of the younger man. But the old man smirked at the last part, so I wondered about the meaning behind of it.

Decim was so sweet. He and the young man hugged each other. Although the former didn't experience living, he understands how a person lives and struggles.
Mar 14, 2015 7:09 PM

Sep 2014
This was really great! Even though it was only 25 minutes long, the characters changed a lot over that short time.

I quite liked the open ending. It really makes you think about what is right and what is wrong. Which character went to heaven and which went to hell? What would you have done in that situation?

That devilish grin at the end really throws a spanner in the works. I was quite amused when he said he wanted to live on to eat pickles one more time - but who knows if he was telling the truth?

Different people will give you different answers, which I think is great.

I see some comments saying that the masks show you which character went where, but if that's the case, why did the woman ask who went where? Wouldn't she have seen the masks? They seem to just be another part of the deception.
Mirai, zura~!
Mar 23, 2015 3:40 PM

Apr 2007
It's interesting watching this after "Death Parade" and seeing how many ideas they already had. This felt a bit lacking though, with the atmosphere and billiards game as well. I expected more as I've loved playing it since I was a kid -3-
Apr 2, 2015 4:36 AM
May 2012
Just finished Death Parade, and this is better. I wish I was one of these guys who are being trained to be animators T^T
You guys here keeps on saying "hell" and "heaven", when Decim just said that there is no heaven and hell. Looks like the boy got reincarnated, and the badass Grandpa decided to become more badass. In Death Parade, his wife is a nice lady, maybe he got soft as time went by.
Well, a season 2 would be cool. With more of this, though. Thank you ^^ Posts: 4299
Apr 19, 2015 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
Such an excellent movie.
That was so thrilling and intense *.*
I mean, the premise is amazing as it is and then the art is outstanding as well; there's no way this could go wrong.
I haven't watched Death Parade yet, but it seems that this is a hell of an awesome prologue.
So..., I'm guessing the old man went straight to hell uh?

The last dialogue between the young guy and the bartender was pretty intense as well, althought it felt a bit out of place...
Oh, and what about those pool bals the Bartender was holding? They had the picture of their hearts, does that means they are both alive? But, wasn't the young guy the only one who got reincarnated? This is a bit confusing.... But well, I guess things are gonna get clearer when I start watching Death Parade.

Anyway, that was awesome.
May 6, 2015 8:31 AM
Sep 2010
This was really good. I like how not all the questions were answered so it's to the audience to decide and interpret the story. This was a pretty interesting OVA.
Uploader53
May 9, 2015 3:10 AM

Oct 2014
Damn this was very good. The atmosphere, decim and the overall tone was just fantastic. Both fun and sad watching 2 people fight over their lives.

Of to watch Death Parade! Got high hopes now :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2015 8:28 AM

Jan 2013
Outstanding episode, loved the pool game and the intensity.
9/10
Jun 10, 2015 1:20 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
I am so in love with this whole thing *_____*
I just would like to know what the old guy told him D:

Jun 16, 2015 4:05 AM

Jun 2010
xochandaox said:
Zheng1991 said:
Any idea of which one going to hell or heaven?

well, the old man said he would give the young guy his spot for heaven.. but he had that smirk on his face.. soo.. Im not 100% sure.

rederoin said:
It seems most things point towards the young guy going towards heaven and the old guy going to hell.

If we look at their lives, the old man was beating people back in high school and the 'smirk' at the end. Sure, the younger guy cheated on his girlfriend but atleast he regretted it(unlike the old guy).
Not to mention the faces that where shown above the elevator.

I think it's very obvious that the old man went to the void just because he asked. You can't judge anyone from 1 mistake in their lives. Yes the older man was a bully in school, but he also served in war and was a great husband. And you can see that he lived a good life.
The younger guy was cheating her girlfriend, beating the old man and willing to kill him. Not to mention, he was very bitter and angry.

So he would definitely go to the void, but the grandpa changed places with him.
I personally think that's stupid that they can do so. Bad people aren't supposed to be saved.
Jun 23, 2015 9:52 AM

Dec 2010
yoite- said:
xochandaox said:

well, the old man said he would give the young guy his spot for heaven.. but he had that smirk on his face.. soo.. Im not 100% sure.

rederoin said:
It seems most things point towards the young guy going towards heaven and the old guy going to hell.

If we look at their lives, the old man was beating people back in high school and the 'smirk' at the end. Sure, the younger guy cheated on his girlfriend but atleast he regretted it(unlike the old guy).
Not to mention the faces that where shown above the elevator.

I think it's very obvious that the old man went to the void just because he asked. You can't judge anyone from 1 mistake in their lives. Yes the older man was a bully in school, but he also served in war and was a great husband. And you can see that he lived a good life.
The younger guy was cheating her girlfriend, beating the old man and willing to kill him. Not to mention, he was very bitter and angry.

So he would definitely go to the void, but the grandpa changed places with him.
I personally think that's stupid that they can do so. Bad people aren't supposed to be saved.

Decim as far as his job is concerned very unbias. He is not going to change who goes where just because someone asked him to trade places with the other guy.

Personally, I find the episode lacking information why the old guy went to the void instead of reincarnation. I could understand why Otoko went to reincarnation though based from the last scenes despite his "murder" against the old guy. Jiji's last smirk is left to the readers to decide and possibly hint that he is going to the void.

As someone who watched Death Parade first, the masks tell the viewers who goes where. The white one leads to reincarnation, while the one with horns goes to the void. The characters most specifically the girl is oblivious to the mask atop the elevator. One episode depicted both players riding an elevator with the white mask on top showing that both of them are eligible for reincarnation.
Jul 24, 2015 9:48 AM

Oct 2009
Not an original concept but brilliant nonetheless! The execution and atmosphere was perfect, Decim consoling the guy sold it for me. To the series!!

9/10
Aug 6, 2015 1:21 PM

Jun 2015
this was weird as hell but in a good way
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Aug 9, 2015 9:31 PM

Jun 2014
Death Parade + Death Billiards =

a. You die so cherish it and love others
b. If you've done some bad things but want to change for the better,you will be reincarnated to "restore your debt."
c. If you know you've done horrible things but don't regret it, you will be sent to the void because you've caused pain to other people.
d. It is wrong to save yourself for the cost of another.
e. Simply following logic and reasoning will not help you understand other people and yourself. Must develop feelings.
f. Everyone deserves a chance to go to heaven. All you need to do is change your perspective and look at the good of life. (After all, without bad, there's no term for "good")
g. If you're going to kill someone for revenge, be prepared that you may be killed as well.
h. You choose whether to believe in god or not. Just believe in yourself...because you're the only one that controls you.
i. Humans believe that to consider something "real", there must be scientific or logical reasoning. False, humans created explanations to understand life, therefore, any "reasoning" is possible, and anything, can be real.
j. Don't fear death
k. Don't try to lie in order for people to think you're honest.
l. Give everyone a shot if someone asks to go on a date with you.

Aug 12, 2015 11:49 AM
Sep 2009
Still don't get why old man went to hell...
Oct 20, 2015 10:25 AM

Sep 2009
If Ojii-san truly went to the Void (I'm not 100% sure in that) then I think it's really because he convinced Deqim to do that. Though in DP there were a lot of cases where Deqim stayed stiff, here we have seen the Deqim from last episodes, much more human-like. I guess, old man had some strong points in their little conversation. Like, he had full life, tasted its good and parts, and simply doesn't have any will to reincarnate and live another full of struggles life.

(and I'm still have a little hope both of them got reincartnated)
Nov 4, 2015 2:18 PM
Oct 2015
[quote=Hentai4theplot]This was an interesting watch it was like Kaiji meets Jigoku Shoujo! I know it's a training project but i really hope they continue this a bit further someday.

Death parade is the full version that this spin off was taken from. I would also recommend the dubbed version if your going to watch it. :)
Dec 6, 2015 5:47 PM

May 2015
After watching this I find myself wondering whether or not the masks really represent what is going to happen to the person. Based on the pool game alone, unless the old man said something really bad to Decim, he showed no malice or any reason to send him to "Hell." Not to mention Onna didn't know which each of them went to, so I wonder if the masks really represent that.

Well, in the end I think the masks do represent them, since
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 24, 2015 10:56 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
That was really good. So excited to watch Death Parade.

5/5
Dec 30, 2015 5:05 PM
Jul 2014
TragicRomance said:
That was so...bloody good.That smirk,.

danmari said:
I'm honestly a little confused here. The female bartender doesn't seem to know who went where, so were the faces above the elevator doors just meaningless decoration?

I was wondering about the same thing..

Ryugen said:
I believe the old man wanted to go to hell. He seemed like the kind of guy who would have fun there. Maybe he requested to go to hell?

What the younger guy said really touched me on how people aren't equal. I'm surprised to find such better values in a 24 minute episode than a 24 episode series.

I agree.

Mod Edit: Merged posts. Please do not double post.

i agree with u guys cause if u notice the old man came to the bar from the left elevator which means that people use the same elevator with which they came to the bar
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Any clues?

ScreamInAnguish - Aug 16, 2021

1 by Irumakun22 »»
Aug 16, 2021 7:51 PM

» Related Anime

Oliver007 - Jan 11, 2015

4 by ChrnoTodd »»
May 5, 2015 11:01 AM

» New TV series titled Death Parade

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2014

14 by gustavogbi »»
Jan 2, 2015 8:22 AM

» Preview~

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2013

3 by Nidhoeggr »»
Mar 10, 2013 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.