Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2014 10:33 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
About 83 minutes in total. It was cute I guess as the bird and everyone returns. The theme song was alright.

Tamako falls into the water?! Ahh...she needs to be more careful. But anyways, her relationship with Mochii grows in this movie. A few surrealist scenes were done as well, nothing too special though. As this film had a lot of innocence in it, the relationship building was like that too.

Stark700Oct 10, 2014 10:37 AM
Oct 10, 2014 4:13 PM

Nov 2007
That short first part with Dera-chan and those two is Minami no Shima no Dera-chan, even though the three of them also appear in the second half of the movie for a bit.

Thought so, the OP was that father's band song, but his solo ver.

First half with Mochizou deciding on when to say about the future (going to Art University in Tokyo) and confession to his love. Second half with Tamako being confused and shocked (which the reaction was funny) and trying to decide on confessing to him back. Their friends are very supportive. And their competitions were successful regardless of the disaster during the practice because of Tamako's confusion.

Oh, there's a continuation to the tape, which their mother replied to the father with her song.

ED has both the announced ED song and Tamako ver. of her father's confession song.
tsubasaloverOct 10, 2014 4:19 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 10, 2014 7:46 PM

Aug 2008
Overload of cuteness and sweetness!
Mochizou secured the spot of my #1 favorite good moe male character. ^^

I didn't remember how Dera was annoyingly funny. The first 5 minutes were funny, but 5 minutes are more than enough, I'm glad Dera wasn't in the story. XD

I genuinely like every bit of the movie! I giggle happily many times. I especially loved how KyoAni excels at all those cinematographic effects. But that one last scene, I felt like it wasn't powerful enough (I was looking forward to a strong emotional scene like when Tamako unexpectedly gave Mochizou a mochi-cake as a present), I kept waiting for something to happen when the ED credit finished rolling...

KyoAni never failed to impress me when they make a sequel movie, they always keep the best parts.
Oct 11, 2014 12:28 AM

Dec 2013
I guess it was a pretty good ending to the series. I really expected the Mochi-Mazui people to take part in the movie as important characters but I guess not.
Anyways it was really nice confession from Tamako's part. I really liked how she used the cups as a way to confess since it's how they've been doing communicating since they were small.

8/10 movie, 5/10 series.
Not the best KyoAni but not the worst either.

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Oct 11, 2014 3:01 AM

Aug 2014
I havent seen the movie, but its very obvious that it was going to be Mochi-Tamako at the end

And that is a shame that it was that couple. Too obvious.

In my opinion, it should have been Mochi-Midori. That would have been a great plot twist and it would have made sense. I really enjoyed the interaction those two had in the anime.
Oct 11, 2014 1:20 PM
Jan 2012
I bet some people have missed the best parts of the film, or the whole plot.

When Tamako lost her mother suddenly, it was Mochizo as well as Midori who were beside her. While Mochizo grew to care for Tamako as a boy, Midori developed difficult indescribable emotions towards Tamako (which I would not want anyone to call as lesbianism), as well as sort of rivalry and comradeship with Mochizo over who cares the most for Tamako, their best friend.

Tamako had been helping her family's business after her mother died, and always related the warm, white, and nicely scenting mochi with memories of her deceased mother (for whom she still buys a flower for prayers every day). In her subconsciousness, the problems of maturing and motherhood was growing on her.

Mochizo was initially almost giving up on confession. But knowing Tamako's past sufferings and after hearing Tamako's memories of and helpless admiration towards her deceased mother, he couldn't help but confess his love out of true compassion.
While Tamako is initially very confused, she slowly becomes conscious about maturing and love even by seeing her neighbors. Tamako eventually recognizes how important Mochizo had been after her mother's death.

Midori is seemingly the most mature of girls but is actually the one who needs to grow up the most. She is frustrated by her complicated feelings towards Tamako and probably also about her undetermined future (the others have more or less clear visions about what to do after graduation). She breaks the old strangled bond and sets free Tamako (and Mochizo) by encouraging their love partnership as boyfriend and girlfriend, with her little assisting trick.

Who informed Midori about Mochizo's short trip (and not his definite farewell) to Tokyo is not shown in the film; it's left as a mystery. I suspect it was Tamako's little sister Anko who really liked Mochizo and Tamako, who knew about their difficult feelings, and who heard and knew what Tamako was planning. I assume it was Anko worrying about the two and seeing Mochizo go off to Tokyo that morning, she informed Midori.

Midori after seeing Tamako off running towards her love is broken-hearted as well as feeling satisfied with what she had done. She is not alone, as Kanna her best friend had always known Midori's emotions (see the TV series) and comes to her rescue, telling that Midori looks beautiful after having done what had to be done (that is maturing by letting Tamako go free; poetically shown by the pictures of dandelion flying off). Kanna in turn asks Midori to lend a hand in her growing up; that is her overcoming of fear of heights in order to become a carpenter.

Thus, this isn't a simple story of a boy meets girl, but it's about acknowledging love of the family, friends, and good peoples of the neighborhood. It's about overcoming of burdens and maturing. Kiss or no kiss, is unimportant, as we know that Tamako's and Mochizo's story will go on, and the future is implied in the film (the ED of the series and film) which we now know that Mochizo took featuring more confident and intimate looking Tamako. The two shadows side by side colliding in the ED tells their relationship well enough.

The phrase used for promotion of the film was "Tamako peeled off" and "About maturing", btw.

How to mature and find true love is a difficult issue, but there are hints given in this film. If we are careful, we should recognize the reference to the gravity pull, the Sun and the Moon, the apple, and Isaac Newton, who when asked about how he found the law of universal graviations replied that "By always thinking unto them".

This is a well thought-out and very clever film with a good script and superb direction. If you didn't get it, watch again.

GohanwaOkazuOct 12, 2014 12:05 AM
Oct 11, 2014 1:55 PM

Dec 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:

When Tamako lost her mother suddenly, it was Mochizo as well as Midori who were beside her. While Mochizo grew to care for Tamako as a boy, Midori developed difficult indescribable emotions towards Tamako (which I would not want anyone to call as lesbianism), as well as sort of rivalry and comradeship with Mochizo over who cares the most for Tamako, their best friend.

Tamako had been helping her family's business after her mother died, and always related the warm, white, and nicely scenting mochi with memories of her deceased mother (for whom she still buys a flower for prayers every day). In her subconsciousness, the problems of maturing and motherhood was growing on her.

Mochizo was initially almost giving up on confession. But knowing Tamako's past sufferings and after hearing Tamako's memories of and helpless admiration towards her deceased mother, he couldn't help but confess his love out of true compassion.
While Tamako is initially very confused, she slowly becomes conscious about maturing and love even by seeing her neighbors. Tamako eventually recognizes how important Mochizo had been after her mother's death.

Midori who is seemingly the most mature of girls but who needs to grow up. She is frustrated by her complicated feelings towards Tamako and probably also about her undetermined future (the others have more or less clear visions abou what to do after graduation). She breaks the old strangled bond and sets free Tamako (and Mochizo) by encouraging their love partnership as boyfriend and girlfirend, with her little assisting trick.

Who informed Midori about Mochizo's short trip (and not his definite farewell) to Tokyo is not shown in the film; it's left as a mystery. I suspect it was Tamako's little sister Anko who really liked Mochizo and Tamako, who knew about their difficult feelings, and who heard and knew what Tamako was planning. I assume it was Anko worrying about the two and seeing Mochizo go off to Tokyo that morning, she informed Midori.

Midori after seeing Tamako off running towards her love is broken-hearted as well as feeling satisfied with what she had done. She is not alone, as Kanna her best friend had always known Midori's emotions comes to her rescue, telling that Midori looks beautiful after having done what had to be done (that is maturing by letting Tamako go free; poetically shown by the pictures of dandelion flying off). Kanna in turn asks Midori to lend a hand in her growing up; that is her overcoming of fear of heights in order to become a carpenter.

Thus, this isn't a simple story of a boy meets girl, but it's about acknowledging love of the family, friends, and good peoples of the neighborhood. It's about overcoming of burdens and maturing. Kiss or no kiss, is unimportant, as we know that Tamako's and Mochizo's story will go on, and the future is implied in the film (the ED of the series and film) which we now know that Mochizo took featuring more confident and intimate looking Tamako. The two shadows side by side colliding in the ED tells their relationship well enough.

The phrase used for promotion of the film was "Tamako peeled off" and "About maturing", btw.

How to mature and find true love is a difficult issue, but there are hints given in this film. If we are careful, we should recognize the reference to the gravity pull, the Sun and the Moon, the apple, and Isaac Newton, who when asked about how he found the law of universal graviations replied that "By always thinking unto them".

This is a well thought-out and very clever film with a good script and superb direction. If you didn't get it, watch again.

I must thank you for this post. Now I get to understand the whole movie.
Oct 11, 2014 3:00 PM

Mar 2013
I like the movie. It has that sweet and innocence romantic element to it. No kiss or Hug does not make this a waste of time.
Oct 11, 2014 5:25 PM

Sep 2012
GohanwaOkazu said:

I'm not sure who informed Midori either but iirc, she did mention that she met Mochizou earlier, after going over to Tamako's house and hearing that she already left. Midori then goes to talk about how he's leaving for Tokyo and the specifics of his departure. I don't know how much of it was the truth but I do believe that Midori met Mochizou before he left for the train. Not sure what kind of conversation they had though.
Oct 11, 2014 10:59 PM
Jan 2012
Kasuya said:
GohanwaOkazu said:

I'm not sure who informed Midori either but iirc, she did mention that she met Mochizou earlier, after going over to Tamako's house and hearing that she already left. Midori then goes to talk about how he's leaving for Tokyo and the specifics of his departure. I don't know how much of it was the truth but I do believe that Midori met Mochizou before he left for the train. Not sure what kind of conversation they had though.

We know that the part of Mochizo leaving permanently for Tokyo is untrue and Midori made that up. Midori might indeed have gone over to Tamako's house and met Moichizo on the way leaving for the station; Midori could not tell Tamako straight away about that because Tamako had already left for school. But it is quite likely, I think, that unless she met Anko at Kitashirakawas and heard from Anko what Tamako was up to at school or Anko's grudging about their recent awkwardness Midori couldn't have made that decisive move.

While Anko keeps a calm and cool face, there are moments in the film in which she seems to care about Mochizo and Tamako's relationship; that is when she 1) sees Mochizo shouting out loud at the riverbank; 2) supports Mochizo's mother's plan of leaving the two alone at hospital (when she speaks like a child that she wants to go home and eat dinner); 3) eyes at Mochizo but finds missing at the festival (which is a sign of how awkward the two had become, as Mochizo had probably always been filming Tamako on every occasion); 4) has an unconvinced tone of voice when Tamako asks about what happens if she didn't forward the message to Mochizo about school cancellation because of flu. I assume that without giving Anko some role in the outcome, the direction wouldn't be showing these scenes, and the chief animator won't be drawing this picture on the pamphlet with Anko at the center:
http://blog-imgs-68.fc2.com/z/o/m/zomesukebon/123.jpg

In any case, this is a movie which merits watching in detail in HD.
There are motifs of shadow of birds and dandelions flying away inserted several times intended for subliminal effects; especially the silent 1-2 seconds of a dandelion flying away at the classroom scene was brilliant.
Tamako panicking and seeing nothing but blurred colors after the river scene, and her daydreaming scene while rain starts falling was excellently done with great music.

KyoAni special package: http://blog.livedoor.jp/sylphwatch/archives/8562112.html
GohanwaOkazuOct 11, 2014 11:26 PM
Oct 12, 2014 1:30 AM

Sep 2012
GohanwaOkazu said:
We know that the part of Mochizo leaving permanently for Tokyo is untrue and Midori made that up. Midori might indeed have gone over to Tamako's house and met Moichizo on the way leaving for the station; Midori could not tell Tamako straight away about that because Tamako had already left for school. But it is quite likely, I think, that unless she met Anko at Kitashirakawas and heard from Anko what Tamako was up to at school or Anko's grudging about their recent awkwardness Midori couldn't have made that decisive move.

While Anko keeps a calm and cool face, there are moments in the film in which she seems to care about Mochizo and Tamako's relationship; that is when she 1) sees Mochizo shouting out loud at the riverbank; 2) supports Mochizo's mother's plan of leaving the two alone at hospital (when she speaks like a child that she wants to go home and eat dinner); 3) eyes at Mochizo but finds missing at the festival (which is a sign of how awkward the two had become, as Mochizo had probably always been filming Tamako on every occasion); 4) has an unconvinced tone of voice when Tamako asks about what happens if she didn't forward the message to Mochizo about school cancellation because of flu. I assume that without giving Anko some role in the outcome, the direction wouldn't be showing these scenes, and the chief animator won't be drawing this picture on the pamphlet with Anko at the center:
http://blog-imgs-68.fc2.com/z/o/m/zomesukebon/123.jpg

In any case, this is a movie which merits watching in detail in HD.
There are motifs of shadow of birds and dandelions flying away inserted several times intended for subliminal effects; especially the silent 1-2 seconds of a dandelion flying away at the classroom scene was brilliant.
Tamako panicking and seeing nothing but blurred colors after the river scene, and her daydreaming scene while rain starts falling was excellently done with great music.

KyoAni special package: http://blog.livedoor.jp/sylphwatch/archives/8562112.html

After reading your post, it seems I didn't realise the importance of Anko's role in the film. I guess I was a little focused on Midori's character rather than Anko. I may need to watch the film again and pick up on a few more things. Did the pamphlet come with the DVD release? I don't think I've seen it before.
Oct 12, 2014 4:51 AM
Jan 2012
Kasuya said:
After reading your post, it seems I didn't realise the importance of Anko's role in the film. I guess I was a little focused on Midori's character rather than Anko. I may need to watch the film again and pick up on a few more things. Did the pamphlet come with the DVD release? I don't think I've seen it before.

Well, I don't think there is a wasted character generally in the film, and I also think Midori was a sort of shadow heroine of the movie. Actually, after the moving sequence of Midori isolated at the classroom and the consolation offered by Kanna, while the two run across the school yard and when Midori bursts out her emotions, Kanna says in a burlesque way "Hiro-in desu-na", which is probably a pun in Japanese agreeing to Midori's comment about the yard (and implying their future) being wide open (hiroi no desu) and Midori being the heroine of the love story at the same time (heroine desu). Which would be lost in translation, of course.

Kanna had known about Midori's hidden complex feelings towards Tamako from Episode 2 of the Market series, and she is not telling the truth when she said she just happened to come to the classroom to make a shelf while everyone was away (as how can people make shelves with just a few nails and hammer?). Midori, knowing that Kanna came for her consolation, says "Nani sore (what sort of excuse is that?)". When Kanna indirectly asks Midori to lend her a hand in "also (watashi-mo)" going up to a higher place, she is talking about it both in in a physical and metaphorical sense; that Midori has made her leap to maturity and went over her obstacle; now it was Kanna's turn, and she wanted Midori's help as best buddy.

The pamphlet came with the Movie release in April. There are several versions of packages to the DVD/Bluray sold in Japan; KyoAni Shop version is obviously the most gorgeous with parts of storyboard and a love-letter album to go with the disc. Actually I couldn't buy it yet as it's instantly sold out at stores and Amazon.co.jp.
GohanwaOkazuOct 12, 2014 5:47 AM
Oct 12, 2014 6:58 AM

Aug 2009
me gusta development

kinda lonely without that annoying bird :/

too bad it ended at where it's best... guess we have to imagine the rest :p

Oct 13, 2014 7:47 AM

Feb 2012
The comments made in the above posts are on-point. Also, i must say, the build-up to the ending was really well done. Too bad this movie requires the audience to watch the more lacking series prior to fully understand the relationships that were already established.

IMO Tamako Market would have been much better received if the series was condensed into a movie part one, with Love Story being part two.
Oct 13, 2014 9:30 AM
Jan 2012
Smileeyface said:
Too bad this movie requires the audience to watch the more lacking series prior to fully understand the relationships that were already established.

IMO Tamako Market would have been much better received if the series was condensed into a movie part one, with Love Story being part two.

I think the Movie can be seen from scratch without requiring the audience to watch the series beforehand (just a few seconds of Dera and Choi may puzzle the viewer), but yes it's made interactively and watching the series should be now more enjoyable. Particularly Episodes 2 (Midori suffers from her feelings; discerning Kanna knows about that very well), Episode 5 (Mochizo and Midori's rivalry and a sort of comradeship; Midori is already tempting Mochizo to go and confess to Tamako), and Episode 9 (a really well done episode by director Yamada revealing the story about the love song; this can be seen as a prequel to TLS).

Alas, there were some poor filler episodes like Episode 7, and the ending was too abrupt without a convincing conclusion, which resulted in rather poor sales and reviews for a much expected series. But seen from hindsight, I am glad that we had the TV series as an etude which we can trace back from a masterpiece.
Oct 18, 2014 1:17 AM

Aug 2011
masterpiece movie.. 10x better than tomako market
Oct 18, 2014 10:16 AM

Jul 2014
fucking awesome
such been long time no see good romance ^_^
10/10
Oct 18, 2014 4:36 PM

Sep 2012
GohanwaOkazu said:
Well, I don't think there is a wasted character generally in the film, and I also think Midori was a sort of shadow heroine of the movie. Actually, after the moving sequence of Midori isolated at the classroom and the consolation offered by Kanna, while the two run across the school yard and when Midori bursts out her emotions, Kanna says in a burlesque way "Hiro-in desu-na", which is probably a pun in Japanese agreeing to Midori's comment about the yard (and implying their future) being wide open (hiroi no desu) and Midori being the heroine of the love story at the same time (heroine desu). Which would be lost in translation, of course.

Kanna had known about Midori's hidden complex feelings towards Tamako from Episode 2 of the Market series, and she is not telling the truth when she said she just happened to come to the classroom to make a shelf while everyone was away (as how can people make shelves with just a few nails and hammer?). Midori, knowing that Kanna came for her consolation, says "Nani sore (what sort of excuse is that?)". When Kanna indirectly asks Midori to lend her a hand in "also (watashi-mo)" going up to a higher place, she is talking about it both in in a physical and metaphorical sense; that Midori has made her leap to maturity and went over her obstacle; now it was Kanna's turn, and she wanted Midori's help as best buddy.

The pamphlet came with the Movie release in April. There are several versions of packages to the DVD/Bluray sold in Japan; KyoAni Shop version is obviously the most gorgeous with parts of storyboard and a love-letter album to go with the disc. Actually I couldn't buy it yet as it's instantly sold out at stores and Amazon.co.jp.

I see, you were very lucky to see it on the big screen ! It's a shame it was sold out so quickly though.. orz
Oct 19, 2014 12:43 PM
Mar 2014
I do think Midori was a wasted character...
Oct 19, 2014 3:13 PM

Aug 2014
kirino01-chan said:
I do think Midori was a wasted character...

Had Midori ended up with Mochi in this movie, then that would have been a great plot twist.

I was kinda hoping Midori would have ended with Mochi, because it would have seem to obvious and predictable if Mochi ended with Tamako.

But yeah, Midori was nothing more than a "rival" for Mochi.
Oct 20, 2014 1:01 AM

May 2013
FINALLY. I WAITED MONTHS FOR THIS SUBS TO COME OUT! Although there were some errors and stuffs, I care about the movie.

I noticed how noticeable the characters in the movie are. Especially Tamako's mother who was like her in younger days, considering that she ran too after Tama's father confessed to her BIG TIME, haha. But dying that early is very sad for those three isn't it?

But at the end of the movie, I must say that MY OTP IS NOW CANON. REJOICEEEE~ Though I feel bad for Midori who didn't had the courage to confess although its yuri love. Mochizou, on the other hand, Oh gosh, I like guys like him that is determined to say his feelings even if he'll get rejected. HIS FACE AT THE END THO. SHY BOY~

KyoAni did deliver as usually, expect that there'll be no hug or kissing scene, the love story itself was cute and innocent. I wish Choi will confess too to the Prince someday, Dera, don't get in the way huh? Hehe.

Tamako, cute as ever. The songs were nice too. 9/10.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 20, 2014 3:57 AM

Dec 2013
Hmm, I thought it would be more about a relationship that is no real relationship, cause they cant get close to each other. That part was missing. Its a really open ending. I still liked it. But "Everybody loves somebody" made me expect way more.
7/10
AirveenOct 20, 2014 4:03 AM
Oct 20, 2014 4:12 AM

Mar 2013
Never liked the series before, but the movie was just.. too adorable. Mochizou was just so cute esp when he covered his face in the ending.. hnnnnggggg~ <3
Oct 20, 2014 4:22 AM

Jan 2013
The passing was slow and steady, it reminded me of he Haruhi movie.
It was good, there was almost 0 Dera, so it was great.

Still, I was expecting something else, a little more of romance, and something more with Midori (my favorite character of the series), I didn't expected the movie to end like that, it was good, since their relationship is the pure and kind one.
Oct 20, 2014 5:27 AM

Apr 2013
Sweet and very adorable movie
Tamako and mochizou is officially one of my favourite couples
KyoAni always delivers with their movies
Oct 20, 2014 7:22 AM
Apr 2013
I really liked that they put the main focus on the relationship between Tamako and Mochizou, but I definitely feel that Midori could have played a bigger role than what she showed in the series+movie considering she has feelings for Tamako.
To be honest, I'm slightly disappointed that it ended so abrupt right after Tamako finally got hold of herself and gave him her answer. I believe they could have used the hospital scene better because I was totally expecting something to happen between them since they were left alone and it was even forced by Mochizou's family.
Nevertheless, I think they projected the perspective of a girl receiving her first confession from a childhood friend (or a close friend in general) very realistically and was well done.

8/10 for me
DefunctionalOct 20, 2014 8:48 AM
Oct 20, 2014 10:28 AM

Nov 2013
Many sighs were given. That was a very plain daily life film with a cliche love story.
Oct 20, 2014 12:25 PM

Jan 2012
Oh my god those were the worst subs I've ever seen... It was just so unbearable... Couldn't really enjoy the movie :(
I had only 30 min left but I think I'll wait for better subs this time...

Anyway Mochizou's friend are quite funny xD
Oct 20, 2014 1:08 PM

Aug 2007
For all those saying there was no kiss or hug: did you even look at the ending properly? It shows two people hugging, and that is obviously Mochizou and Tamako ._. They confessed, they'll probs be dating, but taking it very slowly. Think back of what KyoAni also produced, Clannad (though based on the VN), and it took quite some time for stuff to happen there. (Let's definitely forget about Glasslip)

I loved how this series was about growing up. I had to cry when there was Tamako's mom was on the B-side of the tape, really nice after those flashbacks (and my own life, but hey). Glad to see the mochi-making families bonding together for a bit after the grandpa derped (really, a mochi-maker choking in his own mochi...)and helping the two a bit.

Also, thanks for the person who wrote the long detailed summary of stuff I missed: I was already confused about what Kanna was doing up in that tree, but now I indeed remember she was overcoming her fear of heights, thanks for pointing that out.

People saying Midori is such a wasted character: bug off. She is stubborn, but overcoming her own troubles (i.e. not wanting to give Tamako to Mochi) to help out Tamako. She didn't do it for Mochizou, that's for sure: she just wanted to best thing she could do for her friend. I loved her throughout the series, and I don't think she actually needed more depth: she's already a strong enough person. Everyone else was already pretty developed, though not shown to us, while it was only Tamako who was still looking for what she wants in the future.

One thing I was bothered was the loose connection with Dera and the prince who just disappeared from the whole story, except for the similiar thoughts of Tamako and Dera. REALLY, Tamako, how the heck did you start thinking stuff like that? Too bad she didn't come up with Dera-mochi. :c But now that I think of it, the "southern prince" and Ooji might just be the same persons, where the southern prince is something like the conscious of our Ooji. Yes, I am probably reaaaallly overthinking this, but hey. It's still KyoAni, there can't be coincidence. Ooji and ouji, get the connection? Though the writing might differ, the pronounciation is still the same-ish. Stuff about meta-worlds is pretty common with them.
DragonsWhipOct 20, 2014 1:31 PM
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Oct 20, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
GohanwaOkazu said:

Midori is seemingly the most mature of girls but is actually the one who needs to grow up the most. She is frustrated by her complicated feelings towards Tamako and probably also about her undetermined future (the others have more or less clear visions about what to do after graduation). She breaks the old strangled bond and sets free Tamako (and Mochizo) by encouraging their love partnership as boyfriend and girlfriend, with her little assisting trick.

Midori after seeing Tamako off running towards her love is broken-hearted as well as feeling satisfied with what she had done. She is not alone, as Kanna her best friend had always known Midori's emotions (see the TV series) and comes to her rescue, telling that Midori looks beautiful after having done what had to be done (that is maturing by letting Tamako go free; poetically shown by the pictures of dandelion flying off). Kanna in turn asks Midori to lend a hand in her growing up; that is her overcoming of fear of heights in order to become a carpenter.

Big props to you! I didn't think of the movie in such a way til I read this. Thanks for taking your time and writing this! :D
Oct 20, 2014 2:41 PM

Aug 2009
IM CRYINGG... IM CRYINGGGG.... ENDING WAS SOO CUTEEE!!!!!
Oct 20, 2014 2:49 PM

Sep 2007
That was an extraordinary film depicting first love. Just fantastic. Took me by complete surprise.

Oct 20, 2014 3:11 PM
Oct 2010
hafiyfiy said:
masterpiece movie.. 10x better than tomako market
Much better indeed. It was a nice and cute romance story (and coming of age story I guess).

The almost complete lack of an obnoxious bird helped too.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 20, 2014 3:26 PM

Oct 2012
OMG This movie was AMAZING! So Tamako's mom made a continuation to that tape? That's really cool! Also, the moment I have waited for finally happened; Mochizou confessed to Tamako! What's more, in the end,

It would have been even better if they kissed, but this anime movie deserves a 10/10.
Oct 20, 2014 3:44 PM

Jul 2010
That was a great ending with Tamako confessing after Midori told her that Mochizou is leaving for good!

Mochi struggling to confess at the start! And with him finally confessing and Tamako running away.

I really liked the awkward stage between the two. First with Tamako completely evading Mochi, then being just plain weird in front of him! Mochi struggling and him yelling in front of the river while waiting for the response!

Both of them struggling with their own thoughts. Tamako thinking about her childhood and thinking that things would always be the same.

The song that Tamako's dad wrote and sang for her mother! With it being continued by her mother with a song of her own. It was quite romantic >.< Tamako pushed forward from each step! The hospital, the song, and Midori guiding Tamako at the end. It was really wonderful with Kanna coming at the right moment with an excuse and played with Midori!

Really enjoyed the movie ^^ Laughed a few times with Dera, Mochi being transparent and those times to get Tamako to confess! Loved the characters too with their relationships well shown in this movie!

With Mochi close to deleting those files :O I was scared it was going to be true, but then I thought his mom would had done something about it so I knew it probably wasn't. The performance was quite good with Tamako being able to catch her baton!

Now I want more of this cute couple ^^ and all the characters all together.
Oct 20, 2014 5:13 PM
Apr 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:
While Mochizo grew to care for Tamako as a boy, Midori developed difficult indescribable emotions towards Tamako (which I would not want anyone to call as lesbianism)

Well why not? That's what it was. She was in love with Tamako as much as Mochizou was. Too many gay characters and their feelings are erased in favor of 'they were just good friends', and it's getting pretty old. Lesbian is not a dirty word.

Wanted to see if this movie had a Midori/Tamako ending, but since it's your typical KyoAni hetfest instead I see it's not worth watching.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoOct 20, 2014 7:31 PM
Oct 20, 2014 7:47 PM

Aug 2011
OH YEAH TIME TO WATCH THIS
Oct 20, 2014 10:03 PM

May 2010
Lmao @ Dera's mochi. XD

Great movie! All the feels! It was sooooo cute!
My OTP! <33

But wheres my afterstory??/ :((

Loved the endning anyways!!! <3333
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Oct 20, 2014 10:32 PM

Mar 2013
Love this Movie :)
Oct 21, 2014 3:14 AM

May 2013
Suddenly, I remembered Cardcaptor Sakura (and the second movie) while watching the movie imo.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 21, 2014 4:19 AM

Oct 2013
OMG!! That was so sweet..
It's been a while since the last time I watch a good romance
Thanks KyoAni, Thanks...

List of things to be thanked for:
1. Teenage titties
2. KyoAni
3. Conan O'Brien
"Burn the heretics"
Oct 21, 2014 5:25 AM
Mar 2014
Kind of a let down tbh ..
Oct 21, 2014 7:48 AM

May 2010
Finally this came out... Don't know how long I've waited for this.

Those flashbacks! Everyone knows, Mochizou. Lovely OP <3

Tamako is as bad at catching as always lol.

Kanna is too cute. "Shiori how are you" xD But really it's graduation, so not fair...

"Well, my heart is broken too" This guy has suffered too much.

Dem hair. Midori being the Cupid there was awesome.

That was a manly confession there, loooved that scene! Haha Tamako becmae a robot. She took it surprisingly in a shy-girl manner, loved that.
These two are too cute haha.
"Neck-slump" lmao.
Tamako's crying face when her grandfather collapsed, it felt so natural. Like one of the most natural-crying scene anime scene I have ever seen.
Kanna's magnet-glove plan was awesome lmao.
Ah man it's a tough moment for Midori but yeah, I am glad for Tamako. Like really glad. Ah man, Mochizou was her 'Mochi' all along!
"Build me my house" LMAO Kanna so ships them.
Seeing Tamako mature makes me so happy. Finally she has an original flair to her, now people can't say she is a copycat or use any other rude word. Man that performance.
Ah man Mochizou couldn't see that lovely performance... And she was finally able to catch the baton, too.
Ah man, what a lie! I almost fell for it but then I was like, nah maybe she is lying and she was hahah. Midori's development is really something, too.

Tamako getting confused and throwing both of the string-thingy was portrayed really well, she is too used to have Mochizou toss it to her that she threw both of them towards him.

She confessed and I can't believe it... She did it HELL YEAH!!! Why you do this KyoAni, please continue it- 5 mins- 2 mins- anything!

Well, I have no words. I loved this movie A LOT. It left me wanting for more while teaching stuff in a very beautifu manner. One of my OTPs got lots of moments and are (almost) together now. No doubt, a masteripiece.

11/10, will forever remember it.
Oct 21, 2014 7:51 AM

Mar 2008
subs were just terrible..., tho story wasnt that bad, nothing special, but surely not bad
Oct 21, 2014 8:34 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:

I noticed Midori was less friendly with Mochizou, not in a bad way, but more as rivals. Every conversation those two had was very short, and Midori didn't seem to smile at him. It's been a while since I saw Tamako Market so I forgot some bits of the story. Midori having feelings for Tamako and not being able to tell her really led to her emotions being built up. Feel a bit bad for her since Tamako never saw her the way Midori did. Towards the end Kanna offering some consolation to Midori was nice to see. I wouldn't rule out a possible Kanna x Midori relationship.

Every character in the movie had some sort of role to play, so to me the only character that was probably the least important was Shiori.

Anko supporting her sister's relationship with Mochizou, getting them two to reconcile. Anko knows Tamako was love sick.

Overall the movie was ok, to me the confession at the end was rushed. I would have preferred Tamako telling Mochizou that she loves him, goes to hug him as she cries, and the two kiss shortly after. A kissing scene would have brought the two closer together and made the possible relationship stronger. However, the ending leaves an open ending. One of two thing could have happened.

A. Mochizou accepts Tamako's feelings, but he can't bring himself to be in a relationship with her because of going to Tokyo. Thus, they remain close friends and have a stronger bond after confessing to each other.

B. Mochizou accepts Tamako's feelings, and he decides to stay with Tamako. They become a couple and share many memories together.

the last part is a little extra. Tamako decides to open a bakery shop, and with Mochizou camera he gives publicity to Tamako's new shop. The two live happily together as husband/wife.[/b]

I think scenario B is what possibly happens at the end, excluding the extra part.

Some funny stuff in the movie that I liked.
- Tamako running home in a weird way after falling down in the water. xD
- Kanna as always does her stuff
- Dera making mochi that Choi finds perverted. Choi has a dirty mind xD

Oct 21, 2014 9:01 AM

Oct 2013
Lubbock said:
Kind of a let down tbh ..
How so?
Is it because the male protagonist is not a some dense pussy magnet swarmed by bithces?
"Burn the heretics"
Oct 21, 2014 2:35 PM
Apr 2014
I think this movie should be judged twice, first as a stand-alone work and then as the sequel to a TV series.

As a stand-alone movie I really liked it. Alright, the story is really cliche, nothing to say here. But the quality of the movie is not determined by the number of tropes used in it, but by how they are used. And I have to say that every scene was executed really well. There was no annoying exaggeration with the drama, it felt quite natural and not too forced. As some have already written, it was not only about romance, but it focused a lot on the theme of coming of age, doing a pretty good job. The plot being simple is a strong point and not a weakness, and for once we can enjoy a story of confession-sorting things out, without having to deal with useless characters like false love interests and the likes. The ending was really good in my opinion, and something more than a confession would have felt too forced given how the characters behaved throughout the movie. For who wonders if they will actually start a relationship or not, you just have to watch the ending credits to find out. And he's just going to Tokyo after all, he'll not disappear from the world.
I found interesting how the movie can be divided in two parts: the first one with Mochizou as the main character, the second one with the role going to Tamako. It felt like the first part was dedicated to Mochizou doing the last steps towards finally growing up, and the second one to Tamako doing the same process, just at a later time. Seeing the movie like it, it makes sense for Tamako to say that Mochi is "out of reach" (if the subs are correct), more on a psychological level than physical, since Ooji has finally matured while she is still a bit behind.

Now, considering it a sequel to the series, my point of view changes a bit. It felt so unrelated to it that it's almost like they used the same characters in a parallel universe. Many of them are so out of character for the entire time that it was dazzling. Especially Tamako. I get that she is growing up and I'm okay with it, but I've almost seen none of the protagonist from the series. I think Tamako looked troubled for not more than a couple of times in the series, even when she was supposedly going to leave the district, while you could count with your fingers the times she actually got to smile in the movie. And I'm pretty sure she never gave more than a look to Mochi in the series as well. He was more of an "informed" important friend for the audience, he never really was shown like this. Tamako suddenly being able to think only about him felt really really weird.
Mochizou...well he actually got more screentime in this movie than in the entire series. And the bird basically didn't appear. I'm not saying I wanted Dera to be in this, it just felt really odd that arguably the second main character of the series was not in this movie at all.
The tone of the story drastically changed, from a comedy which focused on friendship to a drama which focused on romance. The movie and the series could not be more apart.
This means that someone who'll watch this because of the series will be really taken off guard.

One last thing: I've gotta say that Midori is one of my favourite characters of all the anime I've watched until now. She's the one with the strongest and more defined personality, and the only one who actually had already begun her growth in the series. Defining her feelings as yuri love is kinda wrong, I think. While never stated explicitly, the kind of feelings she has for Tamako were described really well, and they were nothing like romantic love. I've nothing against that type of plot, it's just that I don't really think this is the case. She's really attached to her best friend, and is afraid of losing this special bond (I remember her referring to Tamako as her teddy bear, which says a lot about how she sees her as a known and beloved shelter).
She appears to be the one who's the most scared about things changing, but she's also the one who deals with her fears in the most mature way and almost all by her own, if not with a little help from Kanna. Her thought pattern is described realistically and adds a lot to the whole story. ....Aaand I'll end this here because I've already written a poem.

TL;DR: Really good movie as a stand-alone one, even though not a masterpiece; a little too different from the series.
Oct 21, 2014 5:53 PM

Aug 2013
Awwwn, all the fuzzy feelings inside me. Yeah, I'm a damn sucker for childhood friend romance.

TO be honest, I didn't even bothered to watch the serie. I'm not really a fan of SoL and I heard it wasn't a good one. I guess someone who watched the serie probably understood a lot more reference than me, but I checked the info on some characters and understood a bit some of the behaviors. Like Midori coldness toward Michizou that I didn't understood, but then I checked on her MAL page and so I understood.

When she was running after him at the end, I just kept saying ''No, where are you going- . No, the other way! Not that wa- . No, don't- . Plz staph.''
Hey, she catched the string-phone! And it wasn't even Anko! I somehow imagine Anko just passing there and when we finally believe that Tamako catched it, we just see Anko giving it to her. All the dreams crushed into pieces... What am I even talking about?

It was a good romance in overall. It often felt like it was suddenly progressing and then was stalling for a long time, but that's always a thing in SoL that I don't like. It had some really cute moments. Kanna is so hilarious, she remind me a bit of Saki from One Week Friends.

The OST was really great. It really surprised me to hear those song that sounded so 70/80's decade. I thought I was at somekind of Woodstock sometimes x)
Nothing to say about the art. It's KyoAni, 'nuff said. You hate or love KyoAni, but they always have a great artistic direction.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 21, 2014 6:10 PM

Mar 2010
Very cute! I wish there was more on their relationship than tamaki running away...

8/10
Oct 21, 2014 11:46 PM

Oct 2011
I agree with some people here, Midori was a wasted character. It's kinda sad, she didn't have a very big role. But I did enjoy this movie! it's nice and cute <3
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can i watch it without watching tamako market?

ogseyo - Dec 7, 2021

26 by ANormalUser »»
Apr 11, 6:35 PM

» New Project Announced

_MushiRock11_ - Jan 8, 2023

14 by Assassin2112 »»
Mar 23, 9:12 PM

» 2021! Tamako after story?

yesvirgi - Jan 14, 2021

7 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 30, 2022 6:09 AM

» tamako love story ending

briannaxlee - Jun 28, 2015

22 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 28, 2022 9:09 PM

» Can I watch this without watching the TV series?

bunny1ov3r - Nov 2, 2014

12 by Egoist_Animehead »»
Oct 4, 2020 1:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.