Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2013 8:15 PM
Feb 2013
I just finished watching it today, and...well, I wasn't too impressed.

When I started it, I thought it was boring, but I had read such good reviews of it that I wanted to keep watching to see if it would get better. To be honest, it didn't really get that much more interesting for me. Then, FINALLY, when Taiga and Ryuuji get sense slapped into them (literally...lol, Minorin...) and realize their feelings for each other, they decide "Hey, let's run away and get married!" which made me go "o_o wat." I'm glad that in the end they didn't get married right away, but gosh. They have that one kissing scene, which I do admit was pretty sweet, but they were going to get MARRIED when they hadn't even kissed yet. Which, I guess since they had already spent so much time together, it was okay, but...I don't know. It was still weird.

I don't know why I didn't like this anime. Maybe it's because I never became attached to the characters, which are the reason most people like the show. Maybe it's because I'm too narrow-minded to understand it's complexity. Maybe I just didn't like it. That could be a possibility, too.

But really, what is it about this show that makes people like it so much?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 1, 2013 8:21 PM

Mar 2012
There's actual progression in their relationship. Good reasons for Ryuuji and Taiga to like each other. Good balance of romance and comedy. Toradora is just far more superior than your run of the mill school romance series which is every other one.
Dec 1, 2013 8:27 PM

Dec 2012
Likable tsundere
Likable male lead
Great support cast ( I love Ami)
Decent drama
Characters are fleshed out and developed
Relationships between the characters are interesting ( especially the chemistry between Ami and Ryuji)
Comdey that is actually funny
Lovable atmosphere
A lot of emotional and powerful scenes
Nice OP/ED and OST
Nice art style

and...

Those are my reasons for liking Toradora and I consider it special because I watched it really early on, which I guess made me love it since I wasn't used to school romance. I would have given it a 9 if it weren't for that stupid student council arc with all that melodrama and fan-service fight, that was just awful, I hate Kitamura.
tsudecimoDec 1, 2013 8:33 PM
Dec 2, 2013 8:16 PM
Dec 2011
dont get me wrong in terms of overall story its not amazing. but the way it's portrayed and the characters involved give that plus factor to put it over the edge. It's definitley better then your average school rom/com. Even with it having most of the same cliche'd scenarios(swimming,school festival etc.) Personally I loved it because of the characters. you don't grow attached but there enjoyable and seem "real".
Dec 2, 2013 8:24 PM

Apr 2013
I have no idea. I admit the only character I liked was Ami.
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 2, 2013 8:49 PM

Aug 2013
I have very mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I have a nicely developed romance between leads, an energetic female (Minori), one of the best kiss scenes I've ever seen in anime, and Ami. On the other, I had said romance quickly rushed at the end (like your 'married' comment), some very overblown melodrama, and that dude who Taiga liked.

Maybe one of the reasons is Taiga? I mean, she's become a staple for tsunderes, and IMO, she's a pretty good character. Hardly as simple minded as other tsunders like Shana (SnS). The same reason why Yuno from Future Diary is so loved, except she's a yandere.

If it's for the drama, then I'd laugh, because there are other shows of the genre that handle drama infinitely times better. See Clannad, Ef a Tale of Memories, Anohana, and Kanon 2006.

It's definitely overhyped, but it's far from horrible.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Dec 2, 2013 10:29 PM

Dec 2012
StillSwingin007 said:
I some very overblown melodrama

Student council arc?
Dec 3, 2013 9:50 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
StillSwingin007 said:
I some very overblown melodrama

Student council arc?

Fucking cringeworthy
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Dec 4, 2013 4:24 PM

Jun 2013
IMO, ToraDora gets what love is.

It is not a prince and princess kind of thing with "soul mates" that are "bound to meet". It is really a complicated, big, weird, confusing, wonderful mess where anything could happen.
With Ryuuji and Taiga, ToraDora understands that your just as likely to find love that was right next to you, and while it is a not a fairy tale knight and princess kind of deal, that does not make it any less strong or beautiful.

That is why, ToraDora is the BEST (and my favorite) romantic-comedy!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2013 4:24 PM

Dec 2009
I thought it was barely better than average, would have liked it a lot more if he ended up with minori instead.
Dec 4, 2013 4:33 PM

Jan 2011
because tsundere

StillSwingin007 said:

If it's for the drama, then I'd laugh, because there are other shows of the genre that handle drama infinitely times better. See Clannad, Ef a Tale of Memories, Anohana, and Kanon 2006.

It's definitely overhyped, but it's far from horrible.

i thought the drama in Toradora was just as bad as Clannad
silversaintDec 4, 2013 4:36 PM
Dec 4, 2013 4:35 PM

Apr 2013
silversaint said:
because tsundere

and we all know people who like tsunderes are passive, submissive little nerds who, in attempt to justify their predicament convince themselves to be turned on by sexual embarrassment and awkwardness

And there are a lot of kids like that.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 4, 2014 3:03 PM

Oct 2012
i didnt like it at all
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 6, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2011
I really liked the show back when I watched it but I can't quite explain it in detail. Luckily, someone else does it quite well.

http://youtu.be/-fEkFtmIRU0
IkkakunFeb 6, 2014 2:48 PM
Feb 10, 2014 10:48 PM
Dec 2013
tsudecimo said:
Likable tsundere
Likable male lead
Decent drama
Relationships between the characters are interesting ( especially the chemistry between Ami and Ryuji)
Lovable atmosphere
Nice OP/ED and OST
Nice art style

and...

Those are my reasons for liking Toradora and I consider it special because I watched it really early on, which I guess made me love it since I wasn't used to school romance. I would have given it a 9 if it weren't for that stupid student council arc with all that melodrama and fan-service fight, that was just awful, I hate Kitamura.

Well said.
Feb 14, 2014 2:33 AM
Dec 2013
I thought every character in there was interesting except for.... you know it Taiga. Insult me if you must, but I had to drop this anime around episode 18, I just couldn't take it anymore. This has got to be the worst case of a tsundere ever. I love tsunderes when they are in good taste, examples: Ryouko from Ookami, Kirino from Oreimo, and heck even Sakura from naruto is better then this chick. I'm an open minded guy, I try my best to not judge too much, one of my closest friends loves this anime, I tried over and over again to finish it and see what he likes in it, but I just couldn't. Yea, she is the definition of the word spoiled bitch. I don't usually use vulgarity to represent people, but this has got to be one of those cases. Other than the female lead, I enjoyed everything else about, especially Minori, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Feb 14, 2014 10:06 PM
Sep 2013
toradora shows how complicated love is. and for me, no one is annoying here.
Feb 15, 2014 12:50 AM
Oct 2012
I went through this show the second time just a few days ago. I swear, in another few years, I might do it again.

I really enjoyed the characters. Ryuuji, to me, was a wonderful male lead. His aptitude with cleaning and cooking, while funny, is actually a little sad to watch. These are not things you pick up in school. Life forced it on him. He's a really nice and smart guy born under unfortunate circumstances.

Taiga to me...is an odd package. She's a blunt and direct person from a family that never gave her a sense of security. Later, I found her actually a selfless and caring person who doesn't know how to express herself properly.

The relationship between these two was very believable. It wasn't "he's so cool" or "she's beautiful". They had a genuine need for one another, and to me, that's a wonderful thing.

So when these two finally found a little happiness in each other, it brought a smile to my face, even on a rerun.
AvarionFeb 15, 2014 12:54 AM
Feb 17, 2014 10:37 AM

Dec 2012
Avarion said:
I went through this show the second time just a few days ago. I swear, in another few years, I might do it again.

I really enjoyed the characters. Ryuuji, to me, was a wonderful male lead. His aptitude with cleaning and cooking, while funny, is actually a little sad to watch. These are not things you pick up in school. Life forced it on him. He's a really nice and smart guy born under unfortunate circumstances.

Taiga to me...is an odd package. She's a blunt and direct person from a family that never gave her a sense of security. Later, I found her actually a selfless and caring person who doesn't know how to express herself properly.

The relationship between these two was very believable. It wasn't "he's so cool" or "she's beautiful". They had a genuine need for one another, and to me, that's a wonderful thing.

So when these two finally found a little happiness in each other, it brought a smile to my face, even on a rerun.

Agreed. I don't think I've come across a school rom/com that is as good as this one and I don't think my nostalgic feelings are the only reason for that.
Feb 19, 2014 12:17 AM
Jan 2014
Avarion said:

Indeed, I loved it very much. Al though I hate to admit it, I disliked what Taiga did at the end, but then later makes up for it in the final minute of the 25th episode.
Feb 19, 2014 12:19 AM
Jan 2014
tsudecimo said:
Likable tsundere
Likable male lead
Decent drama
Lovable atmosphere
Nice OP/ED and OST
Nice art style

and...

Agreed. Toradora being awesome is an understatement. Btw, could you tell me why Taiga did what she did at the 25th episode? I mean, I want to see if some one elses point of view holds the same answer as I. Or maybe im just not sure why she did that.
Feb 19, 2014 12:31 AM

Dec 2012
Personally, I don't see its 'amazing' appeal. A lot of the things people said here supporting its likeability doesn't really agree with me. Sure, it's probably a better romcom anime than most out there...but that's not saying much.

It's one of the anime that took me the longest to finish (almost a month) since the beginning was boring, and while the middle was relatively okay, it ended on a weak note with a ridiculous conclusion to the relationship.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 19, 2014 12:46 AM

Jun 2011
It was awesome. I could see why people didn't love it as much, but Taiga is one of the better tsundere out there that actually develops and Ryuuji is an awesome male lead. It helps a lot with KugiRie awesome voice acting as Taiga, it is her best tsundere role as far as I know.

There are a lot of scenarios that would pull my heartstring, for some examples

There are a lot more, but I'll leave it at that.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 5, 2014 8:37 AM

Aug 2013
fullmetalbender said:
Personally, I don't see its 'amazing' appeal. A lot of the things people said here supporting its likeability doesn't really agree with me. Sure, it's probably a better romcom anime than most out there...but that's not saying much.

It's one of the anime that took me the longest to finish (almost a month) since the beginning was boring, and while the middle was relatively okay, it ended on a weak note with a ridiculous conclusion to the relationship.

Weak note? I thought the ending was really cute and original and suited the characters perfectly. It wasn't some cliche "aww you finally said i love you" kind of thing. It was the sweetest ending to a rom-com I've ever seen.
Mar 5, 2014 8:45 AM

Aug 2013
Wardog442 said:

Agreed. Toradora being awesome is an understatement. Btw, could you tell me why Taiga did what she did at the 25th episode? I mean, I want to see if some one elses point of view holds the same answer as I. Or maybe im just not sure why she did that.

Taiga had family issues to deal with that she was running away from before. That's why she laughed when she heard the voicemails from her mother and said something like "she's so childish". I kinda need to give this a re-watch to understand better the reasons why she left for a whole year, and what she was doing.

What's your view on that?
Mar 5, 2014 12:08 PM
Mar 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
It was awesome. I could see why people didn't love it as much, but Taiga is one of the better tsundere out there that actually develops and Ryuuji is an awesome male lead. It helps a lot with KugiRie awesome voice acting as Taiga, it is her best tsundere role as far as I know.

There are a lot of scenarios that would pull my heartstring, for some examples

There are a lot more, but I'll leave it at that.
I completely agree with everything you just said. It really was more than just your typical romance and the characters felt very real and fleshed out. No generic characters to see here. Also, I think this was KugiRie's best performance out of all the anime I've seen her in.

tsudecimo said:

Mar 8, 2014 7:58 AM
Jun 2009
easily the best romcom
Mar 8, 2014 11:23 AM
Dec 2007
maybe I am not in the right mood to watch this series because first four episodes have not justified the ranking so far for me.
Mar 16, 2014 10:06 AM

Nov 2013
I think it's better than most romcoms because

- There aren't 5451436543560 girls for 1 guy as if there was only one guy on the planet
- Ryuji is not completely dumb
- The show doesn't try to last 46834168436 episodes, it's pretty straighforward and characters don't need 5465456461 useless episodes at the beach or at the swimming pool to confess their feelings
- Taiga is awesome, she's adorable, the best Tsundere ever
- Girls can turn angry against each other and fight
- All the characters are developped, even the other male character has a love story and it's hinted that he reunite with the school pres in america at the end of the story
- There are a lot of powerful and very well done emotional scenes
short_reviewMar 16, 2014 10:27 AM
Mar 16, 2014 10:47 AM
Feb 2014
I hate it when people make these topics. So you think other people shouldn't like it just because you personally didn't. I would suggest you learn to respect other peoples opinions and not get angry at people who have different opinions than you!

PS: Toradora is awesome because the story is non predictable and realistic and the characters are likable.
kyomi666Mar 21, 2014 6:25 PM
Mar 23, 2014 2:20 PM

May 2013
Toradora is fantastic. Lovable characters that are well-developed, great chemistry in the relationships, a premise that tried to be more innovative then simply "boy and girl fall in love," and some great drama and character arcs to boot.

It has a few problems, like some overblown drama her and there (similar to Golden Time in that aspect) but overall it's a great show that deserves the love it gets.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Mar 24, 2014 1:26 PM

Nov 2013
IIRC, Taiga vs. Ami was the point I got hooked.

And then all I paid attention to was Ami xD
Mar 24, 2014 5:10 PM

Aug 2013
Ami was a great character. I couldn't see anyone not liking, or at least appreciating, her.

I still think it's a load of melodramatic bullshit. Has redeeming value, but I wouldn't rec.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Mar 24, 2014 6:02 PM
Jul 2018
tsudecimo said:
Likable tsundere
Likable male lead
Decent drama
Lovable atmosphere
Nice OP/ED and OST
Nice art style

and...

quite possibly the best kiss scene in anime.
May 19, 2014 2:03 PM
Jan 2012
Well, the characters are quite likable. The show is far from a masterpiece, but is pretty good to say the least.
Trollbrotherno1 said:
quite possibly the best kiss scene in anime.
It was cute, but I liked that one kiss scene in Steins;Gate better.
May 20, 2014 9:03 PM

Aug 2013
I remember from this one episode..

God, did my ears bleed..
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Jun 9, 2014 2:42 PM
Jan 2013
First of all, I liked that there was only one kissing scene. I have nothing against them. But I felt that all of the feelings between the two that had been building up were put into that one scene. It made it infinitely better. If there were more scenes, then the impact would have been lessened.

I don't think you need to kiss to get married either. That scene itself was a sort of marriage scene to me. It was beautiful and you could really feel their love for one another. There were several other scenes that truly portrayed their budding relationship from the pole kicking scene to the pool scene all the way to the ending scene. Heck, there was even a scene at the villa that I thought was cute.

I love this series because all of the likable characters.

Ryuuji looks scary, but he's a likable male protagonist. He's a bit different than a stereotypical guy, with cooking and cleaning. But he also isn't a wimp either.

Taiga is tsundere, but she's mostly a misunderstood character. She develops into a caring character, and her actions when she realized she was in love with Ryuuji are proof of it. The moments where she gets all flustered are really cute, and there is this smile she gives that I feel is amazing.

Kitamura was an interesting character. He's smart, and responsible, but also nonjudgmental. What I mean is, he wasn't afraid of Ryuuji, he was his friend. He didn't hate Taiga either, and became her friend even after she rejected him. With Ami, he knew she was a bitch, but wanted her to have real friends she didn't have to wear a mask around.

Minorin. I really like her as well. She's hyper, about as responsible as Kitamura, but vastly different in how she expresses that responsibility. She's a really good friend (Kitamura is too btw), very loyal to Taiga. I personally wish the story would have had RyuujixMinorixTaiga. I wish this because they all clearly loved each other, and there was also the line Minori said about wondering whether she was more sad because she lost Ryuuji to Taiga, or because she lost Taiga to Ryuuji.

Ami I wasn't too fond of, even by the end. But I do have to hand it to her, she did develop quite a bit. I really didn't like her facade, and found that when she was herself, she was a much more likable character, even if her true self was a b**ch. I also like how all of the characters still liked her despite it. You could tell she wasn't too fond of other people and when they showed love to her, it was sort of like torture to her. She was like a chihuahua just like nickname. And since she came to care a lot about Taiga was another plus. And lastly, comforting and possibly getting into a relationship with Minori wasn't bad either.

I think that overall, what I like about the characters are that they aren't perfect. They get called out on their mistakes as well. And I can relate to some of the characters situations as well.
"There is perhaps no phenomenon which contains so much destructive feeling as moral indignation, which permits envy or hate to be acted out under the guise of virtue."
— Erich Fromm
Jun 9, 2014 2:44 PM

Jan 2013
People like toradora because of the pretentious monologues.

Thats 100 percent the main reason.

They think that by listening to 9 minute long musings about bullshit drama, they come off as more intelligent.
Jun 9, 2014 8:49 PM

Aug 2013
SolviteSekai said:
People like toradora because of the pretentious monologues.

Thats 100 percent the main reason.

They think that by listening to 9 minute long musings about bullshit drama, they come off as more intelligent.

This
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Jul 11, 2014 9:29 AM

Jul 2014
I loved Toradora! so much because it's authentic. The characters feel real, their reasons are real, and they also feel unique set against the 'rest' of anime.

Granted, you can tell it is written by a woman due to the 'strong but small' female lead and the 'misunderstood bad boy' male lead (which really almost don't exist in the real world) but that aside everything is perfect. There are times you both love and hate every character in the show.

I bet everyone who watched Toradora all the way through went through loving and hating all five main characters alternately, at least for a spell. That is what people are.

Toradora deserves my 10/10, even if it hurt a little to give it a higher score than Haruhi.

I'm not blind to its flaws either, I just consider them inconsequential overall.
Jul 12, 2014 8:11 PM

Nov 2013
Just finished watching all the eps, along with my wife, who isn't too fond of anime in general but REALLY liked Toradora.

I freely admit I'm more of an anime newbie than most people here, probably--I watched my first anime last year. So maybe my perspective isn't from as "experienced" a point of view as others here.

But personally, I thought Toradora was fantastic. Not the "most amazing show ever", but incredibly sweet at times, genuinely funny many times, very "real" most of the time, and fun to watch just about all the time. I found the characters to be compelling, multidimensional, and realistic. The various "on again off again, who's in love with who?" love triangles became a bit trite by the end, but I didn't find the characters themselves to be so.

That's not to say that the show didn't have its share of flaws; and even the ending, in my mind, could have been improved a bit. But for what it set out to be, I thought it accomplished very satisfyingly.

And I can't imagine someone watching the show and not falling in love with the character of Taiga. What an adorable little spitfire :) Some of her lines and actions were absolutely laugh-out-loud hilarious. Her facial expressions were a tribute to the artists who drew her....just awesome.

At the very least the show was unpredictable, and not a little thought-provoking. The initial monologue about the thing that is hidden in the world....I thought that set the tone for a thoughtful look at life and love throughout the series. Well done.
Aug 2, 2014 10:04 PM

Aug 2012
I understand that it's not meant for everyone, but from my personal experience with the anime, these are the reasons I loved it:

1) Likable characters, especially the two protagonists.
2) Good quality comedy, no ecchi scenes (or at least none that I can remember)
3) Plot and Character progression. It actually had each progress incredibly well-paced.
4) An amazing cast (both sub and dub, but that's my personal opinion)
5) Great soundtrack. Good opening and ending songs, as well as background music.

The only thing I didn't love all that much about it was the ending. I was hoping for a bit of a 5 years later kind of thing, but it wasn't left hanging in the end like quite a few anime.

Anyways, those are my reasons for liking the anime. I know why you might feel like the characters were hard to get attached to... I guess you just need a certain taste in characters to like them.
Aug 3, 2014 12:20 AM

Nov 2009
It had the potential to be amazing from the first half, set up a lot of things to be done perfectly, but it was all downhill from there..
Aug 3, 2014 12:22 AM

Dec 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjectivity
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 2, 2014 4:12 PM
Jun 2009
it is the best in its genre for a reason
Nov 6, 2014 8:53 AM

Jun 2013
I've always wondered, if not Toradora, who DO people consider to be anime's best rom-com? I normally hate rom-coms but Toradora is still in my top 5 anime period. I'd love to watch whatever beats it though, that'd be one hell of a treat!
Nov 13, 2014 10:38 PM

Jan 2013
Its a decent show but I've seen and read better romance/slice of life anime/manga.
I won't say it is amazing but also not complete shit as many people claim it to be.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 16, 2014 4:25 AM

Jun 2013
skyzblue said:
Its a decent show but I've seen and read better romance/slice of life anime/manga.
I won't say it is amazing but also not complete shit as many people claim it to be.

What series do you consider better in the romance/SoL genre?
Nov 17, 2014 12:46 AM
Aug 2014
Quirkiness101 said:

Golden Time is a great one to check out, especially for people who love Toradora, since they're written by the same person. They both have some similar feeling characters and events in the plot, but the big difference is that while Toradora focuses more on the build up to being in a relationship, Golden Time focuses on the relationship itself. It can tug at your heart strings just the same, but for very different and often more painful reasons.

To be fair though, Golden Time is a lot more difficult to appreciate to it's full extent for anyone that hasn't been in a relationship, because the ups and downs can be a lot more specific to those kinds of experiences. That said however, even if someone can't 100% relate to every one of those moments, it's still an amazing watch!

Personally I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but Golden Time is certainly more unique in it's approach while being just as good as Toradora.
Nov 19, 2014 8:04 PM

Jan 2013
Quirkiness101 said:
skyzblue said:

Well, in anime, I consider Honey & Clover and Nana to be the best of romance/slice of life series I've watched up to date. Right after that, there's Planetes (more of a sci-fi sol), Only Yesterday, Yomigaeru sora: rescue wings, Maison Ikkoku, Nodame Cantabile and others.
Toradora never clicked with me for some reason. If anything, I found the novel to be significantly better.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 19, 2008

256 by Pelpav »»
Yesterday, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 26, 2008

283 by Zertur »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

Poll: » Toradora! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 11, 2009

502 by Seradim »»
Apr 6, 1:19 AM

» Minori Kushieda

LuckyTenth - Feb 21, 2021

9 by MyBliss »»
Apr 2, 3:42 AM

» What's physical diff between kano and ami

atl_nal - Mar 28

7 by Ashikhi »»
Mar 31, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.