Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2008 9:10 AM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ahh that was close, he should have gone ahead and sacrifice them, they were criminals after all.
Jul 24, 2008 1:58 PM

Jan 2008
I enjoyed episode 22 :)
I thought that the way the oppurtunity of creating the Philosphers Stone was presented was awfully tricky.

Kotori said:
Ahh that was close, he should have gone ahead and sacrifice them, they were criminals after all.

Reading this, it sort of reminded me of Death Note. Yes, Ed could have sacrificed them and he wouldn't have felt as bad since they were criminals anyways. But on the other hand --> they were human beings as well.

All in all, I guess I was happy with the choice Ed made.
Anyways, it wasn't that unexpected - you can't have Ed and Al making the Philosophers Stone in episode 22 already xD

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Jul 24, 2008 2:06 PM

Mar 2008
I think that if he really had sacrificed them, the series wouldn't be the same. And I don't mean that it would be shorter or so, but...

Obtaining the Philiophers Stone through sacrificing humans is just way to out of characther for Ed... And, well, I'm glad they didn't make it.

"One day, we'll set out to sea! And live our lives the way we want!!" - Ace to Luffy, both chasers of dreams
Jul 24, 2008 5:21 PM

Jul 2007
jazmin_s said:
But on the other hand --> they were human beings as well.

but criminal human beings no longer have the right to live on

Obtaining the Philiophers Stone through sacrificing humans is just way to out of characther for Ed... And, well, I'm glad they didn't make it.

Aug 13, 2008 5:42 PM

Jan 2008
Kotori said:
jazmin_s said:
But on the other hand --> they were human beings as well.

I don't really believe that. People can always change, therefore there needs to be lasting life in order for that change to happen. However that would just lead into other topics. I guess all in all, it's just a matter of opinion :)

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Aug 13, 2008 7:07 PM
Feb 2008
jazmin_s said:

Reading this, it sort of reminded me of Death Note.

That's exactly what I was thinking coming into this thread! ^_^
It's been a while since I watched FMA, But I remember this episode quite a bit. It was one of the best episode of the show in my opinion. It really brung out the fact that Ed deathly wanted to get Al's body back ... but he wanted to go about it the right way. Loved it!

Oct 21, 2008 7:45 AM
Oct 2008
Kotori said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

they were people after all.
Oct 21, 2008 8:12 AM

Jul 2007
brendon14 said:
Kotori said:

Criminals should just die though, irl :)
Dec 19, 2008 4:42 AM

Jul 2008
Kotori said:
brendon14 said:
Kotori said:

well, they could be given a second chance.

Dec 19, 2008 4:45 AM

Jul 2007
zhiying123 said:

I disagree.
Mar 24, 2009 1:17 PM

Feb 2008
Amazingly well scripted and produced episode. My favorite so far.
Mar 29, 2009 5:34 PM

Jan 2009
zhiying123 said:
Kotori said:
brendon14 said:
Kotori said:

Kotori said:
zhiying123 said:

I disagree.

I think that they too shouldn't die. Not that way anyway. If they were to die then they should do it the proper way. With a fair trial an stuff. But they are people and yes, people can change. But if they die, they won't have that chance to change.

Also, what about the incident when Ed stepped into the "red water"? I thought it was a little confusing. Very cool, but confusing. I didn't understand how come he went back to normal after that military woman hugged him (I can't remember her name). I totally thought it was going to continue into the next episode because it seemed like a last minute conflict and I was thinking, "How ae they going to solve this in th next couple minutes? They're probably going to continue into the next one."
Jul 9, 2009 6:18 PM

Sep 2008
Kotori said:

Kotori said:

GTFO! I hate that kind of reasoning.

Anyway, good episode, this series is finally starting to get interesting!
Jul 13, 2009 9:44 AM

Dec 2008
AnimeQueendom said:
Also, what about the incident when Ed stepped into the "red water"? I thought it was a little confusing. Very cool, but confusing. I didn't understand how come he went back to normal after that military woman hugged him (I can't remember her name). I totally thought it was going to continue into the next episode because it seemed like a last minute conflict and I was thinking, "How ae they going to solve this in th next couple minutes? They're probably going to continue into the next one."
he stopped when lieutenant Ross hugged him because she reminded him of his mother. hence calming his alchemy down, somehow.
Sep 6, 2009 3:14 PM

Aug 2009
Really good episode!
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Dec 9, 2009 10:24 AM

Nov 2009
Universal law of anime: Hugs will always solve everything when someone's going berserk.
Jan 10, 2010 12:25 AM

Jul 2009
Universal law of anime #2: so will slaps
lol
I loved this episode it was great. Yay Envy in a lil action. Hughes seems to suspect the Brigadier General(the dude with the eye patch). Oh my god, I cheered when Scar intervened. I knew they would make it but it was so good, it still had me on the edge of my seat. That was so cool when Ed was loosing control, really pretty.
I'm glad that Ed didn't sacrifice the prisoners lives...I felt that Scar was watching, waiting to see what he would do. If he had sacrificed the prisoners Scar would probably tried to kill him, instead when Ed choose to not kill them, he intervened and told Ed to get his brother out of there. Again AWESOME episode.
May 8, 2010 10:37 AM

Sep 2009
Yep really good episode
Jul 17, 2010 12:12 AM

Jan 2010
Holy... crap... This episode was utterly gripping, plus they explained everything really well so there was no confusion.
Jul 17, 2010 12:23 AM

Jan 2010
woops, double post
shellybellJul 17, 2010 12:29 AM
Oct 3, 2010 1:19 AM

Jun 2009
Very good episode.... not going to lie... tried a little..... "Mom...?"

Oct 15, 2010 5:30 AM
Jun 2010
is fullmetal boy now like 10 times stronger because of that red water???
Oct 20, 2010 5:56 PM
Aug 2010
I hate this crap about criminals must die, if those criminals were your family, you would not say that = fact. Anyways, very good ep.
Oct 31, 2010 6:48 AM

Feb 2009
Wow... I can't believe people here would be so easy to pass judgment onto others. Learn to think beyond those self-centered-thoughts and the consequences of your "judgment" if it came to happen.

Another great episode, I think I'm falling in love with Lieutenant Ross :O She became so determined to help the Elric brothers after seeing their own determination ^^
Nov 25, 2010 9:05 AM

Feb 2010
Wow, a lot happened in this ep. Ed made the wrong decision. If this was real life, he would've died in the spot and the series would be over. But since this is fiction, a savior popped up in the last moment to save the day. :D

BTW, how stupid can these military people get? They don't even know their own comrades, the culprits easily got away just by donning military suits. :D

The red water scene was really something, awesome animation and effects. I was kinda expecting Ed to transform into some kind of giant cyborg. :D
Feb 13, 2011 7:38 AM

Sep 2009
... WTH?!?!?!
This episode was a biiiig disappointment...
I saw FMA B first and... This is not the edo I know from FMAB!!!
He would never hasitate on such a thing no matter what the cost is!
He wouldn't do it!
HydraA said:
Kotori said:

Kotori said:

GTFO! I hate that kind of reasoning.

Anyway, good episode, this series is finally starting to get interesting!

and I agree with hydraA!!
STFU! so what if they're criminals?
Sorry I'm late. I got lost on the road of life. -Hatake Kakashi (Naruto)
A dropout will beat a genius through hard work. -Rock Lee (Naruto)

May 14, 2011 7:13 AM

Dec 2010
Really, I'm starting to love this anime =\
May 24, 2011 11:30 PM
May 2011
That was insane. WTF just happened!!
May 25, 2011 2:29 PM

Jul 2010
sorry but i think the criminals should die IRL, only like 5-10% of them would actually feel regret and want to change. besides its too risky, who's gonna be responsible if the criminal was finally free and than killed families afterwards? there are some humans in this words that arent really human at all.
and yes i know my arguements has flaws and such, i dont really want to get into it, just a small opinion.
aside from that, the episode was great. i wonder wats gonna happen to ed now that he absorbed the water?

Dec 28, 2011 5:02 PM

Nov 2011
A lot did happen in this episode, and everything that happened was awesome.
Sep 6, 2012 12:45 PM

May 2012
Damn so close I do wonder how they'll make the stone another way! The ending was great of this episode!
Sep 25, 2012 1:48 AM

Jul 2009
slicer NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! T_____T

wow nobody notice that gluttony and others just passed by wearing uniforms??

Kimblee and others have escaped the prison.

man soo many of them, Edward and Roy Mustang would have to fight them in the near future!!!!

glad edward didn't sacrifice them, it reminded him that despite being prisoners, their still human after all.

and wow Ross so brave despite Edward on insane mode.

did Edward acquired a new power??

what about Al??

next episode aftermath is gonna be interesting.

Al will definitely ask what Edward was asking???

amazing episode as always :)
Dec 31, 2012 10:12 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
makes me wanna keep watching, whats gonna happen next?!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jun 29, 2013 5:45 AM

Oct 2010
i think this is the best episode so far, if things keep on going on like this this series could defiantly become a favorite
Jul 14, 2013 12:00 PM

Jul 2013
The people here saying "oh they were "crinimals" they have no right to live make me mad. They are people. You cant judge them because they are crinimals. You dont know their story.
Aug 17, 2013 11:36 PM

May 2013
What the hell???? Gluttony's "disguise" wasn't even that great! That woman must be blind to tell them they did a good work. Omg.

And I didn't want to get started on this debate about human lives, but...

The people who say that those who have done wrong deserve to be killed and deserve to have their right of living taken away are ignorant. No matter what the case is, I don't believe that it is okay to strip a person of their humanity and to torture them and the like. That's all I'm going to say about that. I'd rather not get too worked up about this.
Sep 3, 2013 7:24 AM

Mar 2013
Wow. Some of you people seriously make me sick. You're vile. You're no better than those you condemn. You want to kill someone for killing someone? You do realise that that makes you a murderer, right? We'd better kill you now. And then get someone to kill the person who kills you. And then kill them. Do you also realise that a criminal can be someone who just stole a TV? Are you seriously saying a TV is equivalent value to a person's life?

I can't even.

Good episode. Glad Ed didn't do it.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Jan 6, 2014 12:02 PM

May 2009
Kotori said:
brendon14 said:
Kotori said:

i agree with you
Jan 23, 2014 7:48 PM

Jun 2012
this was a good episode i am kinda happy he didn't create it not because they where human cause as i heard many kilt other people so i could careless if they got sacrificed but then it would be like Ed really is the dog of Lust and the others which would be bad in my eyes.

damn tucker there i had my hopes up you had a change of heart but you proved me wrong again your just a asshole that needs to be killed.

i kinda think that if its true that Lust and the other are created humans that the creator has to be Ed his father cause someone said not with his blood going trough you and the military has been looking for his father for a long time so wouldn't surprise me.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
May 17, 2014 5:38 PM

Oct 2013
he managed to sneak his way out of transmuting those humans and save al too, lucky
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jul 24, 2014 9:02 AM

Jul 2013
That was awesome!

They wanted to be human, awww. Like Pinocchio xD Then snuck out!

Ed went crazy!!!! Poor Ed and Al :(

He should've sacrificed the criminals to get Al back!
Sep 20, 2014 1:39 AM

Jan 2014
Good on you Ed.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 25, 2014 2:13 AM

Oct 2014
Wow. This episode has me fully convinced on the brilliance of this anime.

When you can make people argue on forums about a moral issue that was shown in the episode, but not even heavily focused on in the grand scheme of things, and make them deeply think and question the decisions of the main character based on their personality, then you know you've done something right.

Still puzzled as to what Ed was going to tell Al that night, they've been building it up for quite a while so I hope it isn't a letdown.

Also, Lieutenant Ross, I salute you.

5/5
Dec 27, 2014 4:17 AM
May 2012
Edward.......power up?? Awww, Ross is <3
That lady at the end really does look like their mom :O

Haydosnub said:
Wow. This episode has me fully convinced on the brilliance of this anime.

When you can make people argue on forums about a moral issue that was shown in the episode, but not even heavily focused on in the grand scheme of things, and make them deeply think and question the decisions of the main character based on their personality, then you know you've done something right.

Still puzzled as to what Ed was going to tell Al that night, they've been building it up for quite a while so I hope it isn't a letdown.

Also, Lieutenant Ross, I salute you.

5/5

Yeah!!
Jan 28, 2015 10:01 AM

Apr 2013
What, the bad guys could just leave like that in the end? What the hell, they don't even know their own men xD
Jan 29, 2015 10:32 AM

Jan 2014
I knew he was not going to do that, and I'm glad I was right.
Can't wait to finally hear the truth Ed wants to tell Al..
Jul 31, 2015 3:58 PM

Jul 2015
Cool episode, for sure. I'm glad he didn't go through with the transmutation. For a while there, I thought it was going to, not knowing that their were people up there, and then torture himself afterwards when he found out.

I love how Ross walked to Ed at the end and hugged him, and how he called her "mom". It was very sweet. She has been rather motherly towards them lately. I'm glad she didn't have to sacrifice herself or anything like that. -- 4/5
Sep 30, 2015 7:42 PM

Apr 2012
Good ep, bit surprised when he suddenly started going superpowered when he stepped in the goop, what and why was he transmuting? The whole ep looked really nice.

I figured that lady must've been working with the homunculi when she said "good job" as they strolled past, that was way too easy.

Also, was confused last ep with the guy who suddenly appeared in a scene saying "130 years", I guess he was a powerful prisoner who got released in the blast and we still don't know who he is, do we?
Oct 31, 2015 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that does not disappoint this time either expectations, unfortunate that the climax everything is stopped. Narration that opens to countless hypotheses, there really is so much stuff to think about, the plot will benefit enormously, more than satisfied. I can not wait to follow the next episode.
Nov 3, 2015 8:43 AM

May 2014
I loved how Scar was basically like "I hate you, but your brother is cool so go save him" xD Everyone loves Al
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.