Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2010 12:10 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Haha since when did Dio become shirtless? XD
Dec 12, 2011 1:05 AM

Jun 2009
I guess it burned in the fire?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 28, 2012 7:10 AM

Feb 2008
That Speed Wagon character makes this manga really ridiculous with his lines lol.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 1, 2013 9:03 PM

Jun 2012
epic fight is epic. I hope Jojo wears this mask
Jul 9, 2013 10:11 AM

Sep 2011
Okay, things are getting ridiculous. Speedwagon's lines are terrible. At least I hope that Jojo survive.
Jul 9, 2013 10:16 AM

Jun 2012
ViniSD said:
Okay, things are getting ridiculous. Speedwagon's lines are terrible. At least I hope that Jojo survive.
ViniSD said:
Speedwagon's lines are terrible.
ViniSD said:
ViniSD said:
Speedwagon's terrible.
Jul 10, 2013 9:56 AM

Sep 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:
ViniSD said:
ViniSD said:
ViniSD said:
ViniSD said:
Speedwagon's terrible.

Yeah, this character is terrible, his lines are completely ridiculous. I really hope he dies soon.
Apr 23, 2014 1:20 PM

Sep 2013
Apr 10, 2016 1:20 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Things are getting action packed. The main antagonist of this series is Speedwagon XD

5/5
May 6, 2016 2:29 PM

Aug 2014
Loved the part where Dio's walking up the wall all calm and shit xD.
Mar 1, 2017 7:06 AM

Dec 2013
ViniSD said:

I know, right? Fucking terrible.
Dec 18, 2017 6:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Sacrifice is the word for this chapter!!!
Feb 9, 2018 9:25 AM

Dec 2015
So voluntarily cheesy... so funny. (plus, even when an action seems ridiculous like wallwalking, Dio or someone else makes it cool)

4/5 I'm pretty sure people who read this serisouly (for the drama? XD) must be rugged the wrong way a little more by every new chapter. But I remember trying to imagine what was waiting for me in the next chapter, sometimes the next page because of how ridiculous and exaggerated it was.
Feb 13, 2018 10:19 AM

Jan 2018
Speedwagon killed me in this chapter :D I just don't really get those annoying commentating characters, but to be fair there's one in almost every manga or anime.
Can't not love the exaggeratedness of this manga.

Apr 29, 2018 8:53 AM

Feb 2017
I must like Speedwagon more than most readers. This is delightfully campy and Speedwagon is a big part of that.
May 9, 2018 7:11 AM

Dec 2015
Just shut up Speedwagon. He's just as annoying as he was in the anime...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 1, 2018 10:00 AM

May 2016
Life as he knew it was just burning into ashes. His dad, his house, his memories of his youth, and even Dio's set on fire. And on top of that, he's planning to go out in a blaze of glory by killing Dio along with him to save Speedwagon and end his gruesome killing streak.

Dec 2, 2018 4:12 AM

Feb 2013
That was super cool, I mean the climbing the wall part.
Apr 28, 2019 4:42 AM

Aug 2017
Nobody:
Speedwagon: sitting on the floor among the flames and commenting the fight
Sep 3, 2019 1:30 AM

Jun 2016
When I started reading this I don't know what I was expecting exactly, but I was not expecting the art to be this great. That page of Jonathan and Speedwagon realizing that Dio is withstanding the flames was seriously beautiful. The shock on Jonathan's face, the dynamic pose as Dio tore through the flames and then Dio’s gaze…

Despite the shock that the flames wouldn't work, Jonathan quickly decided his next action. Protecting Speedwagon and using a sword as a footstool to avoid a life threatening and flaming chair he rushes to the roof to lead Dio there and take them both down. Powering through his fear with confidence and resolve, he was able to look to his father to make him proud and ask for his help. Help strengthening the fire, and as a farewell, taking on his ring as a tangible form of carrying his father with him! He was able to taunt Dio to come after him and even in the end face his own death with a sense of peace. All the while Dio casually chased him up the wall showing off his raw power, it made me laugh and the way he started to sprint up the wall was actually terrifying. The way he can just hang off ceilings with one hand or do stuff like this is great. Especially because as monstrous as he is in his new roars and voice and in his raw grotesque power, he’s still the massive baby fighting off his own sense of inferiority that Dio always was. The underlying motivation and emotions are still that of the 12 year old Dio that smacked Erina, I’m sure. I also found Jonathan's line about his youth being a youth with Dio poetic, there's some kind of responsibility for them to tie up their youth here and now. This is the ultimate culmination of everything they've been through and it could be their last moments.

Something that I have found striking in this battle is the reuse of things that we have always been aware of. For instance the spear was initially seen in the background with the knight armour and then Jonathan used it to fight against Dio. Now we've seen that it hindered him as he climbed and he pushed through his pain, finally that stayed relevant inside of his arm until he used it to defend against Dio and save himself. Sure his wounds from Ogre street may be gone, but this consistency within the scene itself is genuinely really cool.

I'm pretty sure that Dio has immense power now but not necessarily more speed as Jonathan can still keep up with him, he can still defend against him. Further we can presume Dio is holding back as to not break his muscles and bones the way that first test subject did. At least if Jonathan can keep up he can have a chance even if it is one heavily weighed in Dio’s favour. And even if the fire didn't necessarily take him down, it gave us crucial information, there is a possibility to harm Dio even if he doesn't feel pain. It’s not easy but if one does enact more harm than is being regenerated then that could possibly take him down on top of the sun weakness. Also, imagine if you could somehow stop his regeneration…

I do find it comical that Speedwagon is yelling out his observations, just as he yelled his introduction about being “the interfering Speedwagon” earlier, I don’t think Speedwagon knows what a thought is.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsSep 3, 2019 1:33 AM
Nov 23, 2019 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
Speedwagon really ruins the mood here. Am I supposed to take this seriously, because frankly, I think it is hilarious.
Jan 26, 2021 3:28 PM

Sep 2011
ViniSD said:

Yeah, this character is terrible, his lines are completely ridiculous. I really hope he dies soon.

lol
Looks like I was a Speedwagon's hater. Although I still think he's a little annoying, I like him now.
Jul 18, 2021 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
In response to a lot of the comments, I personally am liking Phantom Blood. Yeah the dialogue is cheesy. But I can't help myself but get wrapped up in the suspense. I like the manga source material a lot better than the anime adaptation of this part.
removed-userJul 18, 2021 9:34 AM
Nov 8, 2023 4:40 PM

Apr 2020
But Mister Joestar is not afraid. This fight is phenomenal XD
Dec 11, 2023 6:40 AM
May 2023
You can see Araki's art getting better and Jonathan's intelligence, and Dio climbing saying useless useless

More topics from this board

» Debunking Araki Forgot by Hamon Beat

animalia - Apr 11

0 by animalia »»
Apr 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 1 Discussion

accela - Sep 1, 2009

33 by Yassinecss »»
Mar 14, 6:47 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 7 Discussion

Alipio - Dec 19, 2010

20 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:38 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

31 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:35 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 4 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

26 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.