Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 9, 2013 3:51 AM

Jan 2013
Looking for some good pyschological horror Anime's.
I've watched Higuarshi and I loved it so I want something with a bit of gore and crazy/fucked up characters and/or situations.
Jan 9, 2013 3:53 AM
Oct 2010
Neon Genesis Evangelion + the movies.
Jan 9, 2013 3:57 AM

Jan 2013
skudoops said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion + the movies.

I'm sure it's a good Anime but I really dont like Mechs :P
Jan 9, 2013 4:07 AM

Jan 2013
VivaLaGin said:
try "dark tours"
lol

I thought I said Anime, not Hentai...
Jan 9, 2013 4:07 AM
Oct 2011
If you loved Higurashi then try Another.
Jan 9, 2013 4:09 AM

Jan 2013
Candor said:

Shit, yeah forgot to mention, have seen that. It was pretty good.
Jan 9, 2013 4:11 AM

Aug 2012
Shiki
It's exactly what you're looking for.

EDIT: There's also another season of Higurashi.
ghostorcJan 9, 2013 4:19 AM
???????
Jan 9, 2013 4:13 AM
Dec 2012
hell girl maybe?
hey you..that middle finger is looking at you
Jan 9, 2013 4:15 AM

May 2012
GhostCanine said:
Shiki

I agree with this
Jan 9, 2013 4:18 AM
Oct 2012
Mirai Nikki and Hellsing are two you should take a look into as both have their gore and psychological parts. Hellsing is more about the gore though.
Jan 9, 2013 4:19 AM

Jan 2013
I'll check out Shiki.
I've seen Mirai Nikki but didnt mention it cause I didnt think it was i that genre. I allways thought of it as more of a Battle Royale.
Jan 9, 2013 4:21 AM

Jun 2012
Ergo proxy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2013 4:45 AM

May 2010
Shadow Star Narutaru
Jigoku Shoujo
Mononoke
Hundred Stories
Ghost Hunt (some arcs more so than the others)
Vampire Princess Miyu
Boogiepop Phantom
Jan 9, 2013 5:12 AM

Oct 2012
Paranoia Agent.
Jan 9, 2013 6:10 AM

Jun 2012
Candor said:
Please never bring up Higurashi and Another in the same sentence again.

OP, you can always watch Higurashi season 2 even though it stops being a horror.

Perfect Blue
Paprika
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 9, 2013 6:17 AM
Oct 2012
Just popped into my head but Psycho Pass was a really good anime that hasn't been out that long. If you like psychological and a bit of horror then go for this
Jan 9, 2013 6:28 AM
Oct 2011
Holybaptiser said:
Candor said:
They're similar to an extent and both have the same feel to them, but for me I actually enjoyed Another more (except for the last 2 episodes, which were one big mess), but that's because I didn't like Higurashi.
Jan 9, 2013 6:36 AM

Jun 2012
Candor said:
Holybaptiser said:
Candor said:
They're similar to an extent and both have the same feel to them, but for me I actually enjoyed Another more (except for the last 2 episodes, which were one big mess), but that's because I didn't like Higurashi.
The right thing to do is check out season two to understand what was going on in season one, unless the series was spoiled for you.

I'm not shitting on your opinion, but in terms of mystery, plot, characters and pacing, Higurashi is superior in every way.

Jan 9, 2013 6:50 AM
Oct 2011
Holybaptiser said:
Candor said:
Holybaptiser said:
Candor said:
The right thing to do is check out season two to understand what was going on in season one, unless the series was spoiled for you.
Nothing was spoiled actually. I just got tired of playing the "try to be surprised" game after 11 episodes so I dropped it. I watched the movies instead, at least they had cuter girls. Basically the designs were one huge turn-off that I couldn't continue, and I'm one of those who hate 90% of moe and lolis (and their generic designs).
Jan 9, 2013 7:00 AM

Jun 2012
Fair enough. How was the live action adaptation?

Jan 9, 2013 8:09 AM
Oct 2011
Holybaptiser said:
Fair enough. How was the live action adaptation?
The first one was the first arc, it was better than the anime imo. The 2nd one was new material I hadn't watch before, but I believe it had no conclusion to the overall mystery and it deviated a lot from the anime and source material (the 2nd and 3rd arcs namely). I also lost interest around halfway through it.
May 28, 2013 12:43 AM

Jun 2012
try deadman wonderland, elfen lied, kakurenbo (movie) and mermaid forest.
May 29, 2013 7:11 PM
May 2013
try attack on titan
May 29, 2013 7:51 PM

Dec 2012
natssuu said:
Paranoia Agent.
May 29, 2013 8:23 PM

Dec 2012
cap908 said:
try attack on titan

No. Not psychological and not horror. It introduces characters only to kill them three seconds later, before we care about them and it kills characters only to resurrect them three seconds later, because we do care about them. In this way, it's the antithesis of true horror.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Apr 6, 2015 7:36 AM
Apr 2015
Try DANGANRONPA
try Deadman wonderland
Apr 6, 2015 8:03 AM

Jan 2015
Shebadi said:
natssuu said:
Paranoia Agent.
and Ghost Hound
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 6, 2015 8:04 AM
Feb 2014
Faggy said:
Try DANGANRONPA
try Deadman wonderland

+1 for deadman wonderland
elfen lied

Jul 17, 2016 3:08 PM
Jul 2016
Tokyo Ghoul (even though the manga is better than the anime tbh)
Parasyte (aka Kiseijuu)
Death Parade (Not as much horror though. I suggest not judging it based on the opening :) )

Just as a note, Tokyo Ghoul and Parasyte both have very very similar concepts. However, I'd say Tokyo Ghoul is easier to sympathize with. So you might want to watch TG then Parasyte. Just a suggestion :)
Jul 17, 2016 3:41 PM

Jun 2016
Def check out Shiki, its great. You might also like Parasyte: The Maxim.
Jul 17, 2016 4:04 PM

Jul 2014
GhostCanine said:
Shiki

Shiki is trash, it had potential, but it is nothing compared to Higurashi, it's needless blood shed, and the plot is so weak, when someone died it felt like you killed a civilian in [Prototype], absolutely nothing.
Jul 17, 2016 4:10 PM

Jul 2014
Shima_XIX said:
Shadow Star Narutaru
Jigoku Shoujo
Mononoke
Hundred Stories
Ghost Hunt (some arcs more so than the others)
Vampire Princess Miyu
Boogiepop Phantom

Love the Toko picture.

but Narutaru does break most barriers involving kids, but the story drops like a rock half way through, no explanation is really offered and mainly for shock purposes.

Hell girl (Jigoku Shoujo) is a series of separate events of taking revenge, nothing is explained, its not really like higurash at all, and the ending attempting to tie it all up was really weak

Ghost hunt, another anime unlike higurash at all, its another anime that takes separate cases of solving supernatural hauntings and well thats all that happens, main character is 98% do nothing.
Jul 17, 2016 4:22 PM

Jul 2014
jayss said:
Paranoia Agent.

Definitely one of a kind Psychological anime.

Bukurano, one of the best mecha deconstructions. even if you arn't much of a mecha fan, this anime takes the typical mecha fighting anime and injects an intense and horrifying twist.

Fate/Zero, 90% of the fate series is trash, but Gen Urobuchi makes his name on this one. A lot of messed up episodes in here (literally), i got the same interest to keep watching even if it was 4am in the morning as i did with higurashi.

Monster is a decent psychological, but I imagine you wouldn't enjoy something too slow pasted, if you are, this is a must watch.

School days, can't get more fucked up that that.
Jul 17, 2016 5:10 PM

Jun 2016
I'll reiterate Shiki, just cuz the poster above (who is clearly the ultimate pessimist as he feels the need to contradict every rec you get) shat all over it. IT's great, very dark and atmospheric, and a fresh take on an old genre. You should also def watch Higurashi season 2 for a plethora of answers and revelations that are super satisfying. (i just finished it today).
Jul 17, 2016 9:01 PM

Aug 2012
Dace-Morden said:
GhostCanine said:
Shiki

Shiki is trash, it had potential, but it is nothing compared to Higurashi, it's needless blood shed, and the plot is so weak, when someone died it felt like you killed a civilian in [Prototype], absolutely nothing.
Well I wasn't recommending it to you it was for the OP. Either way I disagree, I really enjoyed the suspense, the setting, the atmosphere and the characters quite a lot.
It's one of those that I really wish I could watch for the first time again. It's too bad you didn't enjoy it but hey opinions are opinions.
???????
Jul 17, 2016 11:26 PM
Jul 2016
Monster
Higurashi
Book of bantorra
Darker than black (maybe)
Hellsing ultimate (not psychological just gore mostly with a story)

I'd recommend Monster over any of these recs personally but hey that's jusy me

Edit: just wanted to chime in on Shiki real quick. It's good no doubt but I'd say the overall mood of the anime is too light to be a "horror"
Sivie_sivJul 17, 2016 11:30 PM
Jun 16, 2017 11:57 AM
May 2016
Have you seen:
Madoka magica
Uzumaki by Junji Ito... anything by him is really good.
Gantz
Berserk mostly gore action etc. But has good story and development. And alsof some characters going crazy. Warning: mature content, nudity and lots of bad things going on.
Aoi bungaku
Bokurano
Yamoshibai mostly short horror stories. Each ep is 5 minuten. But rally is worth watching.
Flower of evil. Mainly psychologic, opening and ending songs are the horror part.
Mnemosyne, horror and psychological, but didnt understand much.. haha. Though it did leave an impression
I love Mononoke must watch! very creative and nice artstyle, and so colorfull, it makes you feel uneasy all the time.
RinYukariJun 16, 2017 12:06 PM
Jun 16, 2017 11:59 AM
Jun 2017
death parade
madoka magica 3th movie
Since Koe no Katachi has a very high rating her on MAL, rated by nearly 100k users currently should we try to upvote the movie on the worlds largest database related to films? This movie only has around 4,5k votes at the moment. Let's all vote and make the rating higher?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5323662/

if we make it more popular it will raise more money so it will support the anime industry and make anime more popular between all the peoples since IMDb is not an anime site
so more quality anime will be made
Apr 12, 2018 6:47 PM
Apr 2018
Serial Experiments Lain. I couldn't stop crying for days.

More topics from this board

» An anime that's impossible to hate

AnimeDownUnder - Apr 4

23 by Skuletor »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Pick the best one for me.

phantom346 - Apr 12

8 by mo_lave »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Yesterday

6 by PlasticRobot »»
6 hours ago

» Versus is surprisingly interesting, any other manga, manhwa, or anime with similar content?

aLotQuestion_ - 6 hours ago

0 by aLotQuestion_ »»
6 hours ago

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - Apr 15

4 by monke_guy »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.