Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2008 5:26 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Merkatz correctly predicted the outcome a few episodes back. He knew that Otto and the nobles wouldn't let him have complete military authority. Their pride and recklessness led them to think they can actually stand toe to toe with real military veterans. It must be frustrating on his end.

The narrator keeps on hinting at something bad upcoming after the civil war. Possibly this will mean Earth will make a grand scale appearance finally? Other than the short scene with Rubinsky several episodes ago, there hasn't been any new developments on them.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 6, 2009 1:24 PM

Jan 2009
It certainly seems that way, tainteddonut.

Nobles vs. Military... Military all day, every day. The only noble I know that can take charge of a fleet properly and take care of things flashily is a lesser noble you know very well.

What I'm wondering right now is, what is Farenheit doing on the nobles' side? I hope this has something to do with Reinhard.
Sep 11, 2009 8:59 PM

Jan 2009
I really enjoyed this episode. I loved again seeing the arrogance of the Nobles and i loved what Merkatz said at the end about the price suffering from the disease of nobility for 500 years, it was pure win ^_^
Sep 12, 2009 11:20 PM

Aug 2008
A small bit of competence is shone upon the rebel nobels through Merkatz. Like a bunch of overpriviledged lambs to the slaughter.
Mar 13, 2010 1:26 PM

Apr 2009
Merkatz is really admirable, one of the few truly competent and honourable men on the nobles' side. I feel bad for him because being against Reinhard usually means you die sooner than expected xP
And I have a bad feeling that what someone said about Kircheis (that good men don't live for long) may be true D: Which sucks majorly, he's one of my favourites in this series.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 17, 2010 1:30 AM

Jul 2008
I really don't like Oberstein. Seeing him stand near Reinhard instead of Siegfried is a punch in the gut every time.

BEGINNER
Jul 20, 2010 10:41 AM
Jun 2010
wtf is wrong with Merkatz, he should have left the nobles getting wiped by Reinhard's force. Haha !

Sep 1, 2010 5:09 PM

Jan 2010
adamantine said:
I really don't like Oberstein. Seeing him stand near Reinhard instead of Siegfried is a punch in the gut every time.

don't hate on Oberstein ;(...he's the man :p

Siegfried is a great person though...

this whole battle was a mess lol,i didn't understand why that idiot attacked his allies :\

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 1, 2010 5:28 PM

Jul 2009
clannad4ever said:
adamantine said:

don't hate on Oberstein ;(...he's the man :p

Siegfried is a great person though...

this whole battle was a mess lol,i didn't understand why that idiot attacked his allies :

4/5

He wanted to escape as quickly as possible, basicly an act out of desperation.
Nov 20, 2010 2:01 PM

May 2010
I feel horrible for saying this, but did they showed that scene with the solider showing a picture of his family and then getting blown for comedy relief...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 21, 2010 1:21 AM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:
I feel horrible for saying this, but did they showed that scene with the solider showing a picture of his family and then getting blown for comedy relief...?

LOL
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 1, 2011 7:58 AM

Feb 2010
It not hard to believe how things can go horribly due to some incompetent people at top. Anyone who experience that can empathize what Admiral Merkatz gone through, the top don't listen to people at the ground and insist of the infeasibility.

burntlettuce said:
I really enjoyed this episode. I loved again seeing the arrogance of the Nobles and i loved what Merkatz said at the end about the price suffering from the disease of nobility for 500 years, it was pure win ^_^

Concurred. In a way it's actually sad.
Apr 1, 2011 8:43 AM

Feb 2005
clannad4ever said:
this whole battle was a mess lol,i didn't understand why that idiot attacked his allies :\
Probably to make us feel even more antipathy against all the silly and incompetent nobles.
After all, shooting them because they're in your way doesn't help at all, you'll still have to maneouver through the debris, which could be even worse than going around them.
Aug 2, 2011 3:30 PM
Jun 2011
I was disapponited...I thought Flegel was gonna die. I loved the look on Reinhard's face when he was watching the "show"...he gets too much enjoyment out of it. Sieg will probably die some unfortunate death which may just strengthen Reinhard's resolve or if it happens later it will turn him around from whatever monstrous thing he becomes...just my thoughts.
Aug 27, 2011 8:34 PM
Jul 2010
When the survivor with the wounded arm was talking to Kircheis about loyalty, he was literally reflected in Kircheis' eyes. I wonder if the red-haired servant was thinking about how lucky he is to have a lord who respects him, or about how he would react if Reinhard betrayed him like that. Sieg definitely saw something of himself in that soldier.
Oct 14, 2011 8:17 AM

Mar 2011
That disgraceful fiend killed his own men! He should be killed on the spot because of his selfish actions.
Oct 22, 2011 3:22 AM

Aug 2010
I really wanted Flegel to die.
Nov 28, 2011 6:15 PM
Feb 2011
Sky-senpai said:
I really wanted Flegel to die.
Apr 15, 2012 9:28 PM

Feb 2012
So this is the 20% mark. Still a long way to go, and the Goldenbaum Dynasty is already about to be overthrown.

Confucius said:

No, I think it actually was comic relief -- the episode cuts to the nameless soldier showing off the picture of his family immediately after Littenheim gave the order to fire on the allied supply ships. I don't see how it couldn't have been comic relief.
May 26, 2012 8:23 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode. You know, I really like how these episodes are alternating between the Alliance and Empire like this. Just a thought.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 27, 2012 11:29 AM

Feb 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Great episode. You know, I really like how these episodes are alternating between the Alliance and Empire like this. Just a thought.

The Empire and Alliance really do run parallel to each other in season 1. It's very well-written.
Jun 20, 2012 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
adamantine said:

Yeah, I miss the Reinhard-Kircheis bromance. Oberstein creeps me out, I can't help but feel he has ulterior motives.
Jul 25, 2013 1:47 AM

Jun 2013
LMAO Dumbass nobles pretending to be smart and noble. So hilarious when that Baron Flegel said he'd rather kill himself than be punished for not obeying orders of Merkatz who actually got brains.

Flegel is the GREATEST LOW LIFE, VILE, AND PRETENDING SCOUNDREL I've seen in anime! Believe me, there are a LOT of people like that in real life. These kind of slithering people want fame and glory for themselves, but if anything goes wrong, expect these people to try to shift all blame to you. They spite you with taunting words to frustrate you while being all honorable LOL . GREAT CRUSHING VICTORY for Reinhard!
Sep 13, 2013 12:06 PM

Nov 2009
That nephew of the prince or whatever is probably going to be some major pain in the ass later on, assuming he doesn't go back to the fight with the prince v. Reinhard.
Feb 22, 2014 4:14 PM

Sep 2013
prosit said:
The classical music really makes the battles. They would be so much more boring without them. The music editor really knows his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDOiQDvjuuc

!!!!!
Sep 25, 2014 8:22 PM

Dec 2013
LittleIsland said:
LMAO Dumbass nobles pretending to be smart and noble. So hilarious when that Baron Flegel said he'd rather kill himself than be punished for not obeying orders of Merkatz who actually got brains.

Flegel is the GREATEST LOW LIFE, VILE, AND PRETENDING SCOUNDREL I've seen in anime! Believe me, there are a LOT of people like that in real life. These kind of slithering people want fame and glory for themselves, but if anything goes wrong, expect these people to try to shift all blame to you. They spite you with taunting words to frustrate you while being all honorable LOL . GREAT CRUSHING VICTORY for Reinhard!

I totally agree. Really hoping he dies a slow painful horrifying death.

Pirating_Ninja said:
That nephew of the prince or whatever is probably going to be some major pain in the ass later on, assuming he doesn't go back to the fight with the prince v. Reinhard.

Sad to admit, but I agree. The stinking annoying bastard. I WANT HIM DEAD. More than I want the Prince dead. After all he did try to harm Annerose and for that he deserves the cruelest death available.
Oct 30, 2014 6:34 PM

Mar 2012
It's a trap!

Merkatz is a pretty wise fella, too bad he had to save that idiot prince.
Feb 6, 2015 3:57 PM

May 2012
Pretty impressive episode, really loving the development currently!
Feb 7, 2015 7:26 PM

Aug 2014
That smile Reindhard made in the middle of the episode was epic. The battle strategy in this episode was brilliant as usual for this amazing show. I like that the nobles aren't push-overs like the rest of the enemies that Lohenngramm has fought because then this wouldn't be as engaging.
May 13, 2015 10:10 PM

Aug 2014
I hope old man Merkatz joins team Reinhard after all this is over with.
May 14, 2015 9:13 PM

Jan 2013
6 million kilometer range, that's about 15 times the distance to the moon. Impressive considering how tiny the ships would appear at that distance.
So much death in this anime. Hard to get a sense of the scale.
Where are all these ships made and how much do they cost each?
May 26, 2015 12:10 AM
Nov 2014
Holy shit, Reinhard's forces almost got that stupid prince :p ( Old man Merkatz to the rescue tho )
Jun 23, 2015 6:55 AM

Dec 2013
Most of the Nobels are idiots! They should be thankful they have Merkatz on their side.
Aug 12, 2015 11:28 PM

Jan 2014
Littenheim bye-bye.

"Don't be so mad. Duke Braunschweig is an ill man.
Mentally. It's an illness bred from the five hundred
year tradition of privilege for the nobility."

LOL

Merkatz is a cutie :')

koreye said:
Confucius said:

LOL

double LOL

Was thinking the same xD
Apr 29, 2016 12:10 PM

Jun 2010
MostCuriousThing said:
Confucius said:

No, I think it actually was comic relief -- the episode cuts to the nameless soldier showing off the picture of his family immediately after Littenheim gave the order to fire on the allied supply ships. I don't see how it couldn't have been comic relief.

I know I laughed!

RediceRyan said:
6 million kilometer range, that's about 15 times the distance to the moon. Impressive considering how tiny the ships would appear at that distance.

I don't think this show can bear that level of examination. How many tens of thousands of ships and how many tens of millions of soldiers have gone up in flames in...what, the space of a single year? And this with surprisingly low population numbers like 1 billion on the Alliance capital world or 25 billion for the entire Empire

I believe the level of destruction is simply supposed to have a visceral effect, although it's often dryly delivered by the narrator.
Apr 29, 2016 6:24 PM

Jun 2013
Fronzel said:
RediceRyan said:

I don't think this show can bear that level of examination. How many tens of thousands of ships and how many tens of millions of soldiers have gone up in flames in...what, the space of a single year? And this with surprisingly low population numbers like 1 billion on the Alliance capital world or 25 billion for the entire Empire

I believe the level of destruction is simply supposed to have a visceral effect, although it's often dryly delivered by the narrator.

Actually, if you ask me the relatively low population of both the Empire (25 billion) and the Alliance (13 billion) revealed the truly horrifying thing about the war that it killed so many people during the past 150 years or so that the entire human population is just a fraction of what it could have been. And this current state of affairs is clearly unsustainable, as helpfully pointed out by Huang Rui in episode 12.
Jun 8, 2016 12:54 PM

Aug 2014
"Nice people don't live long. Especially in times like these"
Foreshadowing Siegfried's fate perharps?

Littenheim is a piece of shit for shooting at his own allies like that. I'm glad he got what he deserved in the end.

I'm sorry but that scene with the guy talking about his family right before getting shot at was fucked up and funny at the same time xD

Merkatz seems like a legit guy, it's shame he also suffers from the "incompetent allies" syndrome that many suffer in this series.
Dec 23, 2016 2:30 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Merkatz arrives in the last second to save the prince!!!! It is a pity, although the war is already decided!!!
Jan 4, 2017 4:45 AM

Apr 2016
Another splendid episode. I know the Nobles are utter stupid and no more than kids who just want to show off how tough they are, but the way the nephew of the leader in the "Rebel" side had quite a speech about "Honor and Bravery" , and the way the others support him made me laugh so hard, like a bunch of fool dancing without knowing their demise is coming.

Poor Merkatz, i feel like he's a top server player but is unfortunately forced to join a clan with bunch of noob who think they know everything about warfare and keep bragging about how "good" they are after being "Victorious" at a decoy battle. But this man is really cool. I honestly thought he was gonna defect to Reinhard's side since there is really no point in playing with noobs, and before that he was opposed by his superiors and he couldn't do anything about it, not to mention in the beggining he wasn't interested in this war at all. But things turned out completely opposite of my speculation, he came to rescue his leader like a real boss, forcing the offensive side to withdraw. This is proof that he's a man with his own principle, he doesn't do thing half-heartedly, and he sees things subjectively to be able to deal with the situation. However the fact that he get scolded at when they made it back to the base raised my fury even more at the Nobles.
CzeroCJan 4, 2017 5:11 AM
Apr 2, 2018 11:06 PM

Mar 2017
I get that the nobles are supposed to be incompetent and cruel - silver spoon, never had to try, etc. Nevertheless it's kind of starting to bug me how this show keeps dividing its characters into 'jingoistic idiots' and 'shrewd military geniuses'. One, because it means we basically know who dies before the battle starts - nothing in the episode led me to believe Littenheim was anything but screwed - and two, because it reduces the drama to a nerd revenge fantasy. Analytical thinkers always get the best of hot-blooded fighters (think about what happened to Ovlesser from Ep 20). There's an important conversation about male power fantasies in shonen series that certainly applies here, but even forgoing that, this kind of writing is boring and lazy.

So yeah, not the best ep, but expecting better things on the way - this show is fantastic when it focusses on its characters and its political/war related themes
Sep 18, 2018 10:32 PM

Feb 2017
Still hilarious to see people in pilgrim rags standing on the control deck of a spaceship.
Oct 25, 2019 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
That's just sad, those nobles didn't even consider any strategies when dealing with the enemies
I guess that's why they're nobles

RIP or F in advance for them
They're unlucky the moment Reinhard is born
"Signature removed"
Apr 18, 2020 4:49 AM

Jul 2019
Yeah, nobles are dumb, evil, cowards, and extremely ugly inbreeds, while self-made people like Reinhard are handsome, smart, brave and really care for the common folk. Come on, this is ridiculous, I get the whole message's in favor of a merit system, but these are some boring 2D villains, this show's trying really hard to make us hate them, and these clowns present no threat at all. This is so boring.

The Alliance civil war episodes are so much better than this.
Sep 4, 2020 2:43 PM
May 2016
Did the father of twins die?
Jan 26, 2021 1:07 AM

Jul 2016
adamantine said:

He is the left hand to Siegfrieds right hand.
Apr 5, 2021 6:00 AM
May 2020
pure and utter incompetence from the side of the nobility. the prince is too lucky to see another day
May 4, 2021 3:41 PM

Feb 2012
2021 Rewatch

The moment they mentioned Littenheim took his fleet away... Lippstadt had no chance. Merkatz's "victory" did very little.

The soldier with the picture of his child :( Littenheim got some Karmic justice through the suicide bombing at Garmisch Fortress

The mental illness of nobility.

Fortress_MaximusMay 4, 2021 3:44 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 13, 2021 3:58 PM
Feb 2018
Another stupid writing convenience in this show, it just don't make sense for the guy to shoot it own allies, space is 3D after all. We already got that nobles are selfish assholes, they had no reason to do this scene it was just bad writing! Also I'm tired of so many incompetent unidimensional villains in this show.
emolanoMay 13, 2021 4:04 PM
Jul 15, 2021 12:02 AM

Jun 2020
empire chars severely underdeveloped

lool dis suppose 2 b a big brane show but mi brane iz 2 big 4 it 🧠🧐
Dec 16, 2021 8:59 AM
Nov 2020
Merkatz is the real one
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.