Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2008 9:19 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An intresting series I think, my previous boxing experience was Hajime no Ippo, this doesn't quite live up the standards then, haha.

But al-in-al, this could work out, to bad it's only 24 eps (with the second season), although this is just episode one, it's promising.

I enjoyed the characters and the classic style, the opening and ending were okay so, the fight itself was rather.. dull, but, it came out good actually.

I think I'll watch some more episodes to decide wether to watch the whole series or not.
Mar 13, 2011 3:08 AM

Mar 2009
Fantastic start! It's like a mix between Hajime and Sengoku Basara!

The cast is great, all 5 boxers seems awesome! I can't wait to see them fight as well.

I think this will be a fun series, and it looks like they'll continue to make it.

Xenzio said:
to bad it's only 24 eps (with the second season), although this is just episode one, it's promising.

The OVA has started!

Urahara Out!!
Feb 9, 2012 1:54 AM

Jul 2007
Em i missing something, or is this really the begging of the series. It seems as though were thrusted right into a final bout against these two rival characters. I guess thats the way the story was meant to begin and they will probably spoon feed you things that happened in thier past as you go along.

This episode was ok i guess, i thought it was going to be a little more realistic though, that huge power up punch with the large flash of light was kind of strange to say the least. I felt like it was DBZ lol and with their punches so fast, that the human eye couldn't see.

Apr 14, 2016 6:11 AM

Nov 2008
I can't say this is a good anime, but at least the characters are passionate.
Oct 30, 2016 9:00 AM

Dec 2015
What an exciting start! After the opening ended, I was first bothered to discover that the anime started immediately with a final but it was actually incredibly effective. After all, I suppose the makers wanted to get straight to the point (the over vitaminized boxe). They even manage to present everyone without making it too heavy.

The anime itself was nice, I guess, for a TV production (of course, it can't be compared to the short theatrical animation from Yamauchi). It used maybe a bit too much speed line backgrounds and I am not a fan of blurry "too fast for your eyes" fight moves but it was only for a scene so far. The strikes directing was even more exaggerated than I imagined playing the game (for the better).
A very good point, especially compared to their work on St Seiya, is that the chara-designers decided to gave the characters their age, even if they were using their usual improved version of Kurumada's style.

The opening and ending are fairly good for a shônen nekketsu adaptation (it's good to hear dedicated songs again) and the OST serves the drama and "boiling" scenes right in this episode even if it lacks the strength of Yokoyama's work.
About the seiyû, my only complaint is that Furuya isn't playing Ryûji ! It's Ichigo's (Bleach) voice instead (Furuya's replacement for Seiya later in the OAVs). Not that he isn't good, he's simply not as good, plus since the characters share their appearance (because of Kurumada "star-system"), they should share their voice too. Well, they did at the end...

5/5 I feel bad spoiling the manga's discovery but it's time I accept the fact no western publisher will ever translate it.

link9us said:
Em i missing something, or is this really the begging of the series. It seems as though were thrusted right into a final bout against these two rival characters.

based on what I know of the manga, they skipped all the "introduction" of the hero, the brother and sister coming in Tôkyô, the trainings, debuts, encounters with the destined rival (and future husband)... in order to take us immediately to the first tournament's final (like the videogame did). We also get a scene from the national tournament that happens obviously only later. I suppose the relevant parts of the early chapters will be revealed through flashbacks like here.
edit: checked the manga synopsis, indeed it was skipped.

edit: why do I keep reading comparisons with Hajime no Ippo? They're not even in the same genre (boxe is a sport, it is certainly not a fiction/manga genre). Why not comparing Prince of Tennis with Ace wo nerae or judge Dr.Slump based on Gunnm?

March 18, 2018
@FMmatron Of Rinkake? Yes. Of the anime itself? Only as an animated best-of. (my favourite animate dpiece of it is the collection of scenes made for the theatrical release of St Seiya"s overture movie.
The biggest sin of this animated show is to be made exclusively for people who actually read the manga. Unless you've come for the sole purpose of watching fights after fights or you're one of those who can't accept Kurumada's drawings (the usual "if it ain't Araki's style, it's unbearable"), of course. There is the whole beginning chunk (who shows the why and how, and the central rivalry's birth), and the final story who are missing.
Plus, the parts who were chosen to be animated are both shorten (not always a bad idea, I admit) and modified (o_O).

As soon as I got my hands on a "scanlation", I decided to do them both rather than know only this commemorative adaptation.

March 14, 2021
@Sakuta002766 Consider this as a very condensed best-of of the manga (without its final chapter nor the whole prologue and characters introduction).
Rei_IIIMar 14, 2021 8:44 AM
Mar 17, 2018 3:58 PM

Nov 2016
This was a rather unusual start,we're getting thrown in right into the climax.

What I didn't like was the introduction of the other rivals,kinda too random and out of place for my taste and transitions from viewer to match weren't so good either. Also not a fan of the art.

Positive in my book was the over the top action,this alone should make this series fun enough.

@Rei366 You seem to be pretty fond of this series,hope I can share your enthusiasm at some point too.
FMmatronMar 17, 2018 4:24 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 14, 2021 5:38 AM

Feb 2019
I really got confused that if i really watching the first episode

Btw, pretty cool episode
Oct 25, 2022 6:19 PM
Feb 2020
Sakuta002766 said:
I really got confused that if i really watching the first episode

Btw, pretty cool episode
They didnt adapted the start of the story
May 12, 2023 8:14 PM

Dec 2021
'Kay then...

OP is pretty good, no complaints there. But GOD DAMN I cringed HARD at them calling out their punches like they were fucking Pokemon. Now I can finally talk about the actual episode, instead of the OP or cold opening... though god damn, this is why anime like Ganbare Genki, Ashita no Joe, and Hajime no Ippo are so much more enjoyable, they start you at the absolute beginning, instead of whatever the hell this anime is doing.

Animation quality... it's meh. To try my best at an apples to apples comparison, Toei's 1980 anime Ganbari Genki was consistantly well animated throughout, whereas here it just looks kinda cheaply done. They clearly know how to do boxing justice, but they really don't make it look as cool here as it looked in that old anime.

Art style's cool, I really like that aspect. That's one thing this has in common with Ganbare Genki, it's a Toei boxing anime based on a 70's manga, and as such, it has one hell of a look to it that other anime don't have.

The voice acting is a wee bit on the cheesy side, but eh.

Now onto the episode. Again, we can't just start from the beginning, can we? That's what made Ganbare Genki such a good anime for me.

Whereas here, it's just all thrown at us like leftovers into the trash. I almost thought this was supposed to be a dream sequence, given the way it's all presented, but nope, that's just how Toei decided to roll with this adaptation. This felt like an anime that you'd see playing in the background of another anime. As the main anime itself, well, god fucking damn it's bland as hell. It's hard to imagine that the same Toei that adapted Ganbare Genki with such grace made this bland as hell anime adaptation. The only almost good part was the end of the episode, though even that became predictable as hell real quick. If I stopped watching this series here, I literally would forget I even watched something to begin with.

Also, WHO THE FUCK ARE THESE PEOPLE?!?! What the fuck even is this!? Does this want to be a good boxing anime, or fucking Too Many Cooks?! 5.6/10, I'm going to cleanse my pallet with some more Ganbare Genki instead. I feel bad for Deph for having to fansub this schlock.

Oh yeah, ED is kinda okay, but nothing more to me, though objectively, it's not bad. Just... eh.

EDIT: I'll give this two more episodes, and then I'll drop it if it doesn't hook me. Maybe it's like Clannad in the sense that I started off hating it, but then eventually started really liking it?
Daviljoe193May 12, 2023 9:11 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ring ni Kakero 1 Episode 6 Discussion

ArtimesGamer - Feb 14, 2012

2 by Sakuragi79 »»
Sep 25, 2023 4:24 AM

Poll: » Ring ni Kakero 1 Episode 12 Discussion

ArtimesGamer - Feb 15, 2012

5 by Sakuta002766 »»
Mar 14, 2021 10:42 AM

Poll: » Ring ni Kakero 1 Episode 11 Discussion

ArtimesGamer - Feb 15, 2012

4 by Ralf_Glow »»
Dec 15, 2019 6:58 PM

Poll: » Ring ni Kakero 1 Episode 9 Discussion

6 by Ralf_Glow »»
Dec 15, 2019 6:01 PM

Poll: » Ring ni Kakero 1 Episode 8 Discussion

4 by Ralf_Glow »»
Dec 15, 2019 5:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.