Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 25, 2009 5:37 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The brother sister relationships in this anime are messed up.

Aug 29, 2009 9:52 AM

Aug 2008
Kozue is my second favorite character. I loved when she pushed the guy away when she was done talking to him.

Wow, Miki's a big p-word. And a loser. lol. I hate to say that, I just don't like Miki very much, if I ever did in the past.

I love how much darker the series got.

I've seen the Black Rose Arc a few times but I've seen the first Arc either only once or maybe twice. Now that I have the first Arc in my head, I feel like this episode is a little bit out of character for Kozue. But I'm sure that'll be explained in another episode about them.
Sep 21, 2009 7:30 PM

Aug 2008
Utena's just plowing through these pawns but at least they serve the purpose to shed more back story.

Also

That piano teacher has got to be the creepiest person ever. I don't think you have to get THAT CLOSE to talk and hold him by the hip, doesn't help the fact that miki is well.. miki.

Also Anthy's brother like the other episode loves to sit on the couch in funny ways, nothing major just funny

Nov 12, 2010 6:58 AM

Aug 2009
I love how adorable Miki is <3

Need to know more about Akio~~~
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Mar 16, 2011 3:48 PM
Jul 2010
Stock staircase sequence is a given. It's too bad they decided to use stock fight scenes, end with the same creepy Himemiya thing, and even recycle the little sister with a brother complex who steals her bro's fighting style only to get stomped by Utena. Might as well have been a recap.
Jul 2, 2011 8:04 PM

Apr 2009
Time machine!
That wondrous charm! Fi! Fi!
Confeito
Jul 5, 2011 7:31 PM

Jun 2009
I'm sure all this means something...but I'm not sure what.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 1, 2011 1:34 PM

Nov 2007
That "Choo Choo" at the end was kind of disturbing...

Awwh, poor Kozue though D: I really like her character. Hopefully they'll give her some more screentime in the future.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Dec 31, 2011 12:50 AM

Jul 2011
So, I'm guessing whoever goes in for an "interview", is assessed on how much of a problem they have with Anthy. I don't really know the correlation between Anthy and the black rose (and black rings) though. This episode seems like on that would be worth re-watching once one has finished the series.
EOTWDec 31, 2011 1:00 AM
Jan 23, 2012 12:59 AM

Jul 2011
that is really-really disturbing when anthy said "Choo Choo"

mikey is so adorable!! i can't blame the piano teacher, who wouldn't want to rape someone as cute as him?!!!!!!
May 14, 2012 1:58 PM

Dec 2009
I wonder what's with Anthy at the end. Pretty interesting episode.
Aug 23, 2012 9:04 PM

May 2010
Lol they just skip to the prehistoric music now and duel.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 5, 2012 9:06 PM

Apr 2012
Choo Choo

Never thought that phrase could sound so creepy. Anyway, I am liking the "interview" scenes so far - they are kind of dark and have lots of symbolism. Also, it is cool that Utena is now around for the shadow plays and the she responds to them too.
Sep 13, 2012 4:53 PM

Mar 2012
I'm really glad I'm an only child. The brother/sister relationships in this show would be even more disturbing otherwise.
KinrynSep 13, 2012 5:23 PM
Feb 5, 2013 4:17 PM

Oct 2011
Another strange episode, but not much different from what happened in the previous episode. Hope they through me in for a loop here soon to maintain interest in the arc.
Feb 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Aug 2007
I like seeing more of Miki and Kozue's relationship.
I wonder if Kozue really has those types of feelings for her brother or it was just the ring...?
It wouldn't surprise me if she did though... Incestuous feelings aren't uncommon in this anime haha

Mar 30, 2013 10:31 AM
Jan 2012
Anthy and her brother in the ending... Choo Choo... Creepy.
Jul 17, 2013 10:44 PM
Apr 2011
i really liked the new battle song they played in this ep

at least, i think it was new
Sep 6, 2013 1:30 PM

Aug 2012
So, now all of the brothers and sisters in this anime have some kind of incestuous relationship. I can only hope that Utena is truly an only child.

Choo-Choo will haunt me forever.
Nov 22, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2010
Akio choo choo~~ :d
Aug 22, 2014 6:51 PM

Aug 2008
[quote=Amaya-dono]That "Choo Choo" at the end was kind of disturbing.../quote]
Ugh, they are going at it every week.
Nov 18, 2014 9:12 PM
Nov 2013
The yandere incest relationships in this anime is quite unique. Also I am enjoying the black rose arc much more than the previous 10+ episodes

Choo Choo~
RavenWishNov 18, 2014 9:16 PM
Jan 9, 2015 3:42 PM

Jul 2014
Those endings though... E_E

At least Kozue managed to put up some sort of fight with Utena other than the girl who lost in one shot.
Mar 14, 2015 10:12 AM

Apr 2014
something I've been wondering about is why Mamiya wants to be the Rose Bride. to me it sounds like being a Rose Bride isn't that fun and you lose your own will (or something)

oh thank GOD Utena is the only child, she's the only sane character

also, is that the only piano song anyone knows in this anime? it's a nice song but after hearing it so many times it's getting repetitive

choo...choo.....D:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2015 7:29 PM

Jul 2014
This show is a shipper's dream. Both types of dreams: good dreams and nightmares.

4/5
Oct 12, 2015 11:30 AM
Nov 2010
lordzeru said:
Another strange episode, but not much different from what happened in the previous episode. Hope they through me in for a loop here soon to maintain interest in the arc.

(For current viewers...) You'll have quite a loop before this arc is done, but these few episodes focus on fleshing out certain secondary characters' relationships with the student council members. Although complaints that the Black Rose Saga is "just filler" get made, they're really not. Ikuhara is a master at the use of repetition in the story context, and everything you're learning now about people will be used again in the future.

Also, there are several other layers of things going on across the entire series that you're not really privy to at this point if it's your first time through, but make all of these absolutely fascinating on repeat viewings.

In short, just sit back, relax, and let the aura of the next few episodes wash over you :)
Feb 6, 2016 7:14 AM

Feb 2013
The last scenes is starting to creep me out

Feb 13, 2016 6:34 PM

Aug 2014
Oh, great another girl with a huge brother complex lol

How many insert songs does this show have? Not that i'm complaining since they're all fucking amazing!
Feb 27, 2016 9:09 PM
Aug 2015
So far I think they are using this sibling relationship to showcase an unhealthy, selfish and destructive way of keeping someone by your side. Kozue weapon, indeed, is the pain she is able to put on Mickey. By keeping him worried, she manage to grab some of his attention, which she genuinely crave for. Why dont simply tell that person your feels, kind of like Micky did to Himemiya ? ... As she state, Kozue, despite being twins, they are very different. Seems she is just trying to pretend something else. Milkshake? too sweet, pass.

In the verge of entirely loosing Mickey, she gave in to hate or darkness or whatever, black rose. Her weapon is promiscuity. She goes to new heights now. Before, she inflected the pain by commanding others, or so she though. Now the plan is rather sinister and by Mickey's reaction, insanity. She tries to win him, and do so with the only way she so far seems to know and understand... naive, perhaps adolescence...

Then I dont know what the heck the letter says but Utena accept to prove wrong to Kozue, implied by her upstairs scene, she is determined, as always. She wins, with some help of Power of dios. Whats power of Dios? You can make assumptions, yet they have not told it yet, I think...

In the end, while sweet, that milkshake tastes really good... they know it!

A history of honesty I may say.

Insert mysterious Himemiya activity, plus a hint to it.

Edit: grammar!
Sail_BoatFeb 27, 2016 9:14 PM
Jun 23, 2016 8:05 PM

Apr 2016
Wow the writers have really start to smoke crack with these latest episodes.

But I did like Anthy drinking one of the milkshakes that were on those tables during Utena's duel.

That was a nice touch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2016 8:26 PM

Dec 2015
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
I'm sure all this means something...but I'm not sure what.

It's all symbolic of homophobia and life in an oppresive society. Maybe. I don't know. Saying that only cause everyone here's pretty gay.

Jokes aside tho, I would like to understand what this is supposed to represent too. I'm liking the show but feel like I'm missing the big picture.
Nov 29, 2016 1:45 PM

Sep 2016
At this point I'm thinking the writer had a brother complex lol
To be honest, fillers aside, I liked the first arc better. Let's see where this one goes.

Choo choo~
Feb 27, 2017 3:16 PM

Jun 2007
Anthy drunk outta one of the jugs during the duel lmao

choo choo
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 31, 2017 11:10 PM

Nov 2011
Eh. Although there's nothing inherently wrong with the format and I've seen plenty of mahou shoujo use it well, I can't say I'm too thrilled with the more episodic take on the story. The main characters aren't in focus heavily enough anymore (which many mahou shoujo manage to do well with this format), nor are the focus characters developed well enough for me to care about them (like in, say, a show such as Heartcatch Precure!, which overall handled character drama well even when episodic).

Up until now Utena has been very different from traditional mahou shoujo, so much so that I've been iffy about whether it should be considered one at all. It had a core cast that were themselves the enemies faced regularly, which allowed a lot more time to be spent on developing their respective characters, which along with the mysteries they were tied to made the fights more interesting. Although I don't mind the introduction of more characters to the core cast, abandoning the former format for something closer to a traditional one is only revealing that this is worse at the traditional format than its contemporaries.

Stick to what you're been doing well if you can't do something new just as well, I say.

I did find the new lines about smashing "the world's cage" by Nanami during the student council entrance to be interesting.

Also tfw "choo choo" at the end. The relationships in this show are so messed up at times.
TripleSRankMay 31, 2017 11:14 PM
Aug 10, 2017 3:06 PM

Apr 2015
The seminar got to Miki's sister, huh? The look in her eyes after the Black Rose possessed her was downright freaky. And of course, there was that scene where she tried to come on to her brother...can no one in this anime have a normal relationship with their sibling?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 11, 2017 6:06 PM
Aug 2014
Kozue gets around, but Miki can't. Another messed up sibling relationship. She casually assaults teachers too.

Not a fan of them forgetting everything after the rose is destroyed, but do the dark thoughts that created the rose also disappear after it is cut?

Would probably prefer less battles too, though I'd miss the awesome music, it's taking up quite a it of screentime.
Sep 8, 2017 1:05 AM

Jun 2013
Maybe I'm a little late in realizing this, but this school is really not safe for minors at all.

All aboard the creep train! CHOO CHOO

Jan 3, 2018 1:22 PM

Jan 2017
I LIKED THE PREVIOUS APOCALYPSE SONG LOT MOREEE, IT HAD MORE IMPACT.

:(

So i see incest or incest fantasies are a regular thing in this anime xD wasn't expecting it at all. What truly surprises me is how much of a cleaver one Anthy is; at first glance she seems so defenseless and without any will or freedom of her own, but then we start grasping all this 'dark' sides of her, the mystery surrounding her character is real af.

LeeTailor said:

All aboard the creep train! CHOO CHOO

"Choo Choo" LOOL. Nailed it for sure.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Mar 7, 2018 1:16 PM

Jul 2016
UNLIMITED

INCEST

WORKS

Since they've started the whole Student Council Sword thing. My guess is that the next evil mook is going to be Juri's ex-boyfriend or her old best friend, because you know all her backst... Wait, lemme watch the preview real quick...

Well, well, well, well. It's the infamous Cow episode, which means MORE FILLER. Never have I ever been happier to get some filler in an anime. The plot CAN and WILL wait.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Apr 14, 2018 3:44 PM

Nov 2016
Choo Choo.

I honestly don't think that Anthy has "such" a relationship with her brother.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 26, 2018 5:44 PM

May 2010
Can't say I particularly care for these secondary characters :x Here I was kinda hoping new arc would end "battle of the week" routine, but guess not.
Feb 8, 2019 12:03 PM

Feb 2018
At some point someone in this series will have a normal, somewhat healthy relationship with their sibling. Maybe.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
May 14, 2019 1:05 PM

Aug 2017
Sibling relationships in Utena are really bizarre, I have to say.

I wonder if the scene with Miki and the music teacher being close is real or exists only on Kozue's imagination.

Anyway, this episode is as enjoyable as always - and not without its symbolism. I believe that all the propellers at the student council meetings represent the wind and kinda imply that the council has nothing to do at the moment. This is proved by the fact that there're no letters from the End of the World.

Also, when Akio started talking about watching the moon with Anthy, I instantly understood that they make love with each other. "Moon" and "love" sound almost identical in Japanese, and representing love through the moon is a common metaphor in anime.
Jul 10, 2019 11:51 AM

Mar 2016
What if Chuchu is prince.
Jun 27, 2020 8:59 PM

Jul 2009
Never knew we would see Miki's sister again.

Didn't she already slept with Touga a few episodes ago?

And now, she suddenly cares about what Miki thinks? :\

She's too Tsundere and just won't admit in front of his brother that she is jealous.
Sep 18, 2020 8:44 PM

Jan 2016
here are some Utena crackpot theories for this episode.

-The shadow show where the train conductor is selling to the one guy represents how Miki and Anthys interaction, despite it being something very normal is something that the sister cannot ignore even though she wants to,and no one else is annoyed but her hence she is the “only one in the train” and when Utena says to ignore her, the guy gets the conductor’s attention anyways and that represents represents her succumbing to envy and trying to kill anthy.
-the milk shakes scenes in which during one scene Kaoru rejects the milkshake from the pink cup , and later a flashback where the milkshakes are together represent how different both of their personalities and how disconnected they are to each other now versus when they were children. Miki finishing his glass and Kaoru not touch hers represents how Miki has no more baggage about his situation because of Anthy while Kaoru still has feelings to deal with. Anthy can be seen drinking a milkshake during the battle too, that represents her interactions with Miki.The rotating roses in the corner could symbolize catalysts for them starting to become more connected to each other now.Since one rose appears when they meet in the halway and another appears after the battle is over.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Dec 21, 2020 2:54 AM

Aug 2018
Incest is wincest
_______I like rocks__
Jan 21, 2021 12:41 AM

Nov 2018
That's a lot of messed up sibling relationships ... I actually like stories like that , they help me understand psychology and people even better.
And I've only just understood that Utena is 14 and Miki's sister is 13 , while Nanami is actually 15 and older than all of them ... Well , her mental age is around 12.
ZevvenJan 21, 2021 12:45 AM
I hate everyone equally
Apr 18, 2021 12:10 AM

Jul 2016
Why do all sibling relationships in this show have to be so messed up? Poor Miki.
Also, the deal with Kozue longing for her brother's attention is basically the same storyline they used with Nanami a few episodes ago but with less craziness... well, kinda? Kozue still pushed a teacher down the stairs for talking too often to Miki and even fucked Touga just to make her brother feel bad. God this people...

Choo choo~ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
SouthRzVaApr 18, 2021 12:23 AM
Sep 18, 2021 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
about eps 14 and 15

word 'butterfly' was another meaning for the greek term 'psyche' which also could mean 'spirit', 'soul'. the insect's metamorphosis process symbolically implies human psyche growth, self discovery and illumination... so, I think that's a great hint to start your interpretation about that scenes when Kaoru Kozue and Ohtori Kanae went down by Mikage's confessional-elevator. there is a butterfly stuck in a picture frame on the wall.

p.s.: if you got scared by all messed up siblings relationships in this show, maybe you can get even more so with Angel Sanctuary, which is another subversive and unsystematic content - and if u like this sort of stuff, I think u should check it out
removed-userSep 20, 2021 4:17 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

philautia_ - Aug 29, 2009

56 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 7:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.