Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 5, 2011 12:06 AM

Jun 2009
Holy fucking Shit..
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 18, 2011 10:32 PM

Jun 2008
NOW THAT'S REAL MINDRAPE!!!

What an intense episode!
Jul 18, 2012 1:41 PM

Dec 2009
Alas86 said:
.. also this anime is filled with too many tears...

Yea, I also think they are overdoing the tears. Most of the time it is appropriate, but some times it's just unnecessary. As for my predictions..I have a feeling that Kaiji won't be able to clear his debt after this one. He'll probably reach the end, but the time will have already past. Just a guess, but I could totally see it coming.
Sep 22, 2012 4:16 PM

Sep 2008
And thus begun the slaughter.

I really like such psychological scenes. Every person has its own manifestation of fear and in this episode we could see that clearly.

So the first one to go was the first victim to the 'game', eh? It wasn't that shocking - it's hardest to go as the first person no matter the rules - plus, the height is literally killing them.
Sep 26, 2012 8:45 PM

Mar 2012
Davyu said:
Alas86 said:
.. also this anime is filled with too many tears...

Yea, I also think they are overdoing the tears. Most of the time it is appropriate, but some times it's just unnecessary. As for my predictions..I have a feeling that Kaiji won't be able to clear his debt after this one. He'll probably reach the end, but the time will have already past. Just a guess, but I could totally see it coming.

Can you blame them though? They're pretty much in a life or death situation and they just saw two of their own fall to their deaths. Most of them now are engulfed in fear and scared shitless.
Mar 23, 2013 5:25 PM
Apr 2011
this episode makes me want to kill some capitalists with my bare hands. swine!!!!!
Apr 25, 2014 4:21 PM

Aug 2012
Just too hardcore. This anime is actually stressful, and it's fantastic.
Sep 7, 2014 12:01 AM

Nov 2013
The intensity of this anime cannot be comprehended. Kaiji continues to be one of the most GAR anime in existence. 100 billion fuck tons of gar out of 10

Dec 6, 2014 1:32 AM

Nov 2011
I swear to God this ep was 5 minutes, my video player showing 24 is obviously broken, MAL admins need to add this to the series info.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 17, 2014 9:22 PM

Jun 2014
this arc is boring.
Dec 20, 2014 10:16 AM

Dec 2013
I knew there would be some wind problems. R.I.P. Ota.
May 6, 2015 2:03 AM
Nov 2014
So damn good, loved every part of this episode. ( Especially the later part, damn scary ) Great psychological usage, very impressive. Let's see how Kaiji will overcome this odd :P
May 7, 2015 11:19 AM

Jun 2014
I'm getting hunger games vibes where the rich people entertain themselves by watching the poor people die.

Aug 14, 2015 10:39 PM
Aug 2011
what the hell I did not expect that this series would get this intense
I was so nervous while watching this my god
Aug 18, 2015 3:44 PM

Jan 2015
That was brutal. Got me right in the guts. As always, very well writen.

People at the bottom of the building be like : "It's raining men ! Alleluiah !"
Oct 22, 2015 8:10 PM

Aug 2013
Dat bad trip... That was totally trippy. Holy shit, I was biting my elbow by the end, trying to escape the tension within me.

It's pretty symbolic that Kaiji experianced the first bad trip and now he's trying to save the other. Because he's not deluded at all : the more people will fall down, the more people who are still alive will fall in deeper darkness. This is one nasty game.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 23, 2015 9:20 PM

Jul 2013
Their faces show true desperation, humans can never escape the fear of death
Dec 19, 2015 12:31 PM

Nov 2012
Loving the psychological aspect of this show.
Feb 25, 2016 8:54 PM

Mar 2012
Dam this is so fucked up that it was a bit hard to watch. Only a monster would find amusement out of putting a bunch of desperate people through this hellish "game" ;_;
Aug 21, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2015
We're actually the cold-hearted individuals watching this from the security of our homes, aren't we?

And indeed, those shaky shots were great.
Anyway, the anime is getting kind of repetitive with its inside-moral.
Sep 14, 2016 5:08 PM
Aug 2013
This is some of the most fucked up shit i've seen in anime.
Jul 18, 2017 1:06 AM

Feb 2016
Kaiji has potential to be a great soldier.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jul 28, 2017 3:20 AM

Dec 2015
More shouting and crying!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 30, 2017 10:29 AM

May 2016
Damn. This episode was terrifying... As I hear their desperate screams to get each other to snap out of their delusions caused by extreme stress, I slowly started feeling that I'm right above the beam with them witnessing such chaos. Death being a demon who just smashes through when it feels like it's supposed to get out almost made me cry Kaiji tears in fear for my own life as well. I don't wanna die ;-;

This anime really managed to get into the heads of people by giving them a direct visual on what each individual feels in a situation in the form of delusions that are literally happening. People actually died in this episode... It turned super dark so fast with that crispy shock being a jolt of realization that they're all playing in the hands of fate.

Sep 14, 2017 2:27 PM

Mar 2016
This was a really great episode, probably my favorite. It was so well done and I've never seen a show describe fear so accurately before. Bravo.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Oct 3, 2017 1:46 PM

Feb 2013
I am scared of heights too, that experience must be a nightmare.
Mar 6, 2018 6:47 PM

Nov 2016
Hope slowly crumbled and only terror remained.Intensity over 74m.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 15, 2018 1:26 PM

May 2016
That was intense no it's beyond that level.
Oct 21, 2018 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
This anime really is something else. The intensity and emotion it evokes outranks much of anything I've seen from any medium, not just anime. There hasn't been a single episode so far that hasn't been great or amazing. Not one. This might be my first 10.. Holy shit!
Dec 15, 2018 7:21 PM

Nov 2018
This episode was amazing in how suspenseful and tense it was...and with barely any action. This was pure psychological madness...you could feel yourself gradually being gripped by the same demon of death, slowly dying from fear itself as the other characters were...I don't think any other piece of media has given me this experience before. There has been nothing quite like it....I feel shaken up, just as if I was on the bridge with Kaiji and the others.

Holy...SHIT...
Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Feb 27, 2019 9:33 PM
Mar 2, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2016
YES! Wonderful episode! Magnificent representation of despair for fear of dying!
Apr 7, 2019 12:37 AM

Aug 2017
I knew that Ota was going to fall first. That's was intense.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 31, 2019 8:38 PM

Jul 2008
How come only one guy got electrocuted? I feel like my lack of scientific knowledge is showing
Sep 28, 2019 11:01 AM

Apr 2019
it's so inconsistent in this episode ... I honestly lost the desire to see this anime shit, the mere fact that the characters are moving as they are standing on the "bridge" would have made them fall, a lot of wind and useless dialogues, my Note that this bow has dropped from 8/10 to 4/10, and it will be difficult to increase.
Oct 19, 2019 2:50 PM

Sep 2019
This is truly horrible :(
Nov 24, 2019 1:59 PM

Nov 2014
It's hard to even look at that. 20 milions aren't worth it.
Jan 7, 2020 6:16 AM

Mar 2015
Oh man this episode had me at the edge of my seat!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 10, 2020 12:53 AM

Sep 2018
Man, I swear these last few episodes are going so fast. Feels like I've only been watching for 5-10 minutes and the episode is over lol...
May 5, 2020 1:23 AM

Jun 2019
Man, you have to love the clink of wine and scotch glasses in the background of the rich moguls and financiers' room when the first man on the steel beam, Oota falls to his death.

People are vicious, vicious, vicious, and what's vile is that there are genuinely people like this in the world. I can understand having such emnity against another man or any other creature that wronged you in even the most minor way - even if it's brutal, murderous, or disproportionate, but to take such glee, amusement, and pleasure in the mental torture and death of those who've done absolutely nothing to you whatsoever not for vengeance, not for wealth or material gain, not even for any political or religious ideology targeting a certain group, but just pure pleasure at the infliction of pain and suffering, cries of sheer terror and agony against anonymous others for essentially no reason then it's "fun" - this is just something I cannot understand. It may be analogous to the minds of serial killers targeting random victims, but even then there may be a sexual gratification factor in it for many of them or a more clear underlying neurological phenomenon at play.

This just seems like being vicious for no reason or gain at all. I can understand those with reasons - It doesn't mean I would do it myself, agree with it, support it, or justify it, but it's an explanation and I can understand it. This is just wild. Yet I gather that's what the Kaiji series is doing quite deftly: Returning Man to his primitive and primordial form, boiling him down to his essence; and said essence is that of an animal.

Or for the ultra-rich it's a simple dynamic of in-group, out-group fanaticism blinding them to everything else. When you've ascended to that level of material power and the world is within reach, the senses may be dulled and they have a psychological need to experience living on the edge vicariously via putting other humans through the ringer in their stead just to feel alive. It's not different in that respect from the viewer watching an anime - only the viewer, we, know no one is actually getting hurt or dying from the story as it's drawn and scripted. But we allow ourselves to forget, even wanting and craving to forget whilst watching, and want to experience all that conflict and fear and turmoil like we're sitting at the center of an arena in a protected bubble or dome. Maybe to the ultra-rich jackals the whole wold just now feels like that. They're numb and need to serve as spectators in a death game just to administer their own jolt of electricity to themselves even just to feel their heart pump again.

Jun 2, 2020 9:48 AM

May 2018
holy fuck I am not even able to make my first step let alone cross that far
Jul 16, 2020 3:14 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Sakuga experts, where are you? Would you say this scene is by Naotoshi Shida? At around 06:30 in the episode.

https://streamable.com/ltktzg

What mostly made me think so is THIS moment:

https://streamable.com/rxs7uy

I was questioning who animated the scene due to the way the characters acted out, but I really suspected Shida from the sense of form in that ONE scene from the last clip. Although I think the character acting is a little different from Naotoshi Shida, that last clip with Kaiji rising seriously reminds me of him (Kaiji rises speedily and stops with no weight, plus the slight spike of shading it is just so Shida). What would you say?

Edit: Actually, this one too. Specifically the segment where Kaiji balls up his fists and it zooms into his eyes.

https://streamable.com/f3qyrq

I know Shida has had work with two other Madhouse anime Death Note and Hajime no Ippo, and Toei animators have work on a good amount of other Madhouse anime, so it is entirely possible. I just want to know if I'm catching Shida here.

Anyway, this show from this episode for me changes immediately from a 7 (episodes 1-10), to an 8 (11-12), to a 10/10. This was a brilliant display of human emotion and traits.
ChartTopper60Jul 16, 2020 4:20 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2020 5:19 PM

May 2015
VERY interesting episode. Honestly this feels very real. Most of the time in anime characters die and you're just like ok. But here..............when one of them falls off you're like "Holy shit! He died." Its a completely different feeling in my opinion.

Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 14, 2020 4:15 PM

Mar 2010
Towards the end it just got really funny but yeah the majority of the time in was intense asf.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 28, 2020 8:49 AM
Nov 2014
Certainly, the electrically charged beams make it extra terrifying. Otherwise this episode would be a reference to "The Man Who Walked Between the Towers"
Apr 15, 2021 6:36 AM

Mar 2016
I really don't know what to say about this. 2 people fell for no reason really. I suppose they didn't have what it takes. It's important to focus ahead in these moments, as it's hard you'll get through to anyone with your voice.

Focus forward and lead by example :3

Jun 23, 2021 12:21 PM
May 2020
TOP TIER voice acting for everyone there. The scream, painful scared voice and fear of death by each players, it's just something. 6/5 episode, this is absolutely amazing.
Nov 8, 2021 6:57 AM
May 2020
Ero-Camel said:
How come only one guy got electrocuted? I feel like my lack of scientific knowledge is showing
same, like how is only one spot electrifying if they spark the whole bridge? Specifically came here to see if anybodh had the answer but seems people missed that part completely
Jan 28, 2022 2:06 PM

Feb 2021
japanese squid game be like
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.