Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 29, 2007 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
AMAZING episode especially the later half. Loved the psychological expressions and the overall presentation.
Dec 29, 2007 7:41 PM

Apr 2007
Just saw it and damn... that was some crazy shit. Can't wait for next one.

btw anyone else who LOVED how they presented the monster that lurks within ??? I just loved it.
Dec 29, 2007 9:17 PM

Jun 2007
Great presentation of the fear of death. I did like how Kaiji fired everyone up, even if it was only temporary. I wonder if Ota really was imagining the wind, or if it was in fact another trap set up by the very evil hosts.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 29, 2007 11:35 PM

Nov 2007
Even though the players aren't racing against each other, I have a feeling that someone will still get pushed. If someone in the front freezes up, no one behind them can claim the money that they're risking their lives for. I'm pretty sure that the people in charge factored that in when they decided to only have 2 beams instead of having one per person.
Dec 30, 2007 2:33 AM

Feb 2007
I'm loving the psychological aspects of this anime. The presentation and music are top-notch, matching the already intense plot. 2 down, 8 left. I can't wait for the next episode.
Dec 30, 2007 2:45 AM

Apr 2007
Dude, this episode was ridiculous. Probably one of the most intense things I've seen in a long time. If it keeps going like this, a 10 is inevitable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2007 3:09 AM

Jul 2007
My God, it's terrible... and if the first one stops, the others also cannot go...
Dec 30, 2007 3:40 AM
Aug 2007
Just wow. Simply amazing. Once again loved the music in the ep. :D
Dec 30, 2007 5:32 AM

Jun 2007
Mind games!

Man! The moment they felt the "wind" ! Kaiji just turned about 200% darker. This shit's messed up! This doesn't feel like a anime anymore. This is real o-o
Dec 30, 2007 6:04 AM

Nov 2007
Delcious playing with people's brains...! Tonegawa is really an interesting character. This story arc has been getting better and more insane by every episode.

The animation was very good in this episode. The body language of the characters came across very clearly.
Dec 30, 2007 7:06 AM
Dec 2007
amazing episode. did not expect it to turn out that way so soon. there's another 10+ eps coming. I'm hoping few recaps and lots of interesting turning points.
Dec 30, 2007 8:24 AM

May 2007
ZAWA ZAWA
Dec 30, 2007 11:52 AM

Aug 2007
Amazing Psychologycal factor... Brrrr im still shaking. It was like i was crossing with them.
Dec 30, 2007 12:13 PM

Sep 2007
This is crazy, this is MADNESS!!!!

10/10 Episode. I was going to sleep after watching but now I can't even close my eye @_@
Dec 30, 2007 4:18 PM

Oct 2007
ZoiQ said:
ZAWA ZAWA

Is it just me, or did they say ZOWA in this episode? :)
Dec 30, 2007 5:06 PM

Mar 2007
Neverender said:
Dude, this episode was ridiculous. Probably one of the most intense things I've seen in a long time. If it keeps going like this, a 10 is inevitable.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I GIVES IT A 10 RIGHT NOW XD
You've come a long way, baby.
Dec 30, 2007 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
bigjig said:
ZoiQ said:
ZAWA ZAWA

Is it just me, or did they say ZOWA in this episode? :)

They did say ZOWA. New sound effect!
Dec 31, 2007 1:05 AM

Jan 2007
omg, I was on the edge of my seat. Very intense. the episode flew by so fast.
Dec 31, 2007 1:27 AM

Sep 2007
I was seriously trembling with excitement, it's incredible that a show can give me that emotion when there's not much action to it. The mind games are crazy.

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Dec 31, 2007 5:51 AM

Oct 2007
like I said in the previous thread. This is the best anime this year and it isn't even close. This show has something more real than any series.

This was probably the most frightening anime episode I've ever seen and it got worse when they showed that there are people on the other end who are watching this for enjoyment. How cruel can people get?
Dec 31, 2007 11:38 AM

Oct 2007
My god, this anime can't make me stop moving.

Dec 31, 2007 1:12 PM
Jun 2007
AMAZING episode especially the later half. Loved the psychological expressions and the overall presentation.
Jan 1, 2008 1:19 AM
Oct 2007
Wow, this is intense!

I wounder though if there is a net to catch those who fall?

Probably not, but they are doing it at night time so you can't be sure.
Jan 1, 2008 2:19 AM

Dec 2007
mickal555 said:

I am quite sure that there is no net. I mean, in the earlier game people fell and got severly injured - it would be strange if the yakuza suddenly cared about people's lives when they didn't in the previous game.
Jan 1, 2008 8:56 AM

Aug 2007
harakiri said:
mickal555 said:

I am quite sure that there is no net. I mean, in the earlier game people fell and got severly injured - it would be strange if the yakuza suddenly cared about people's lives when they didn't in the previous game.

Well the earlier game people wouldn't die and their injuries were part of the entertainment for the new rich. In this one, for the ones with big bucks and dinning (interesting contrast hun? they are dinning and watching people in the edge of their sanity risking their lifes. I usualy watch TV or something) the real entertainment is the desperation and the psychological effect that they are suffering and not the fact that they fall or not. There are no bets niether. There is possible that there exists a net but i actually dont think there is one.
Jan 1, 2008 5:48 PM

Oct 2007
Static said:
harakiri said:
mickal555 said:

Well the earlier game people wouldn't die and their injuries were part of the entertainment for the new rich. In this one, for the ones with big bucks and dinning (interesting contrast hun? they are dinning and watching people in the edge of their sanity risking their lifes. I usualy watch TV or something) the real entertainment is the desperation and the psychological effect that they are suffering and not the fact that they fall or not. There are no bets niether. There is possible that there exists a net but i actually dont think there is one.

There is no net. Tonegawa himself said that they would die if they fell off the second beam back in episode 12.
Jan 1, 2008 7:34 PM
Oct 2007
bigjig said:
Static said:
harakiri said:
mickal555 said:

There is no net. Tonegawa himself said that they would die if they fell off the second beam back in episode 12.

Well yeah but it's dark, and they may not know that there is a net further down. The rich people watching don't even need to know.

I mean it's going to look bad for anyone who sees a whole bunch of bodies falling and splattering on the street below.

Though I don't really think there is a net, just saying it's a valid possibility.
thenJan 1, 2008 7:52 PM
Jan 1, 2008 7:36 PM

Apr 2007
lol, whatever helps you sleep at night.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2008 7:53 PM
Oct 2007
That it's *possible* is my only point.

I'm sure I'll be able to sleep fine, regardless of whether or not 2D characters splatter across the 1st dimension.
thenJan 2, 2008 6:34 PM
Jan 1, 2008 11:06 PM

Oct 2007
I think it's a decent enough possibility. These rich people are there for the emotional suffering of Kaiji and co. and I doubt they really care if they die or not.

Of course, I doubt they really care if they live either so it's also a high possibility that it is all true and there really is no net.

The net theory is an interesting one though.
Jan 2, 2008 3:35 AM

Jun 2007
Did the people in the "other room" get set free after being given milk and cookies? I very, very much doubt that there's a net. It seems to go against everything Tonegawa's been saying for the entire series - don't count on anyone else to save you. Also, I'm pretty sure Tonegawa's group takes the concept of a "gamble" seriously, and if the guys doing the second crossing have nothing to lose but their lives, then it's not really a "gamble" in the sense that it's been defined.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jan 2, 2008 10:52 AM

Dec 2007
Torisunanohokori said:
Did the people in the "other room" get set free after being given milk and cookies? I very, very much doubt that there's a net. It seems to go against everything Tonegawa's been saying for the entire series - don't count on anyone else to save you.

On the other hand, dead meat cannot pay its debts off. Neither it can participate in another "interesting" event later, hehe :) Don't you think it would be really devilish if after some real struggle Kaiji DOES fall down at the end... even armed with the knowledge of total episodes number of this anime, if only done properly then I think my heart would stop.
But yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate here. Anyway, I'm just dying (ekhm) to see next episode.
Jan 2, 2008 8:39 PM

Jun 2007
This episode was insane, holy frick.

And considering we're dealing with the Yakuza, I doubt very much that there is any kind of safety net. But as Blick said, dead men don't pay. Then again, I can assume the Yakuza is generously compensated for providing such high-end "Entertainment" for their guests.
Jan 3, 2008 1:20 AM

Aug 2007
2 down 8 to go
Jan 5, 2008 3:38 PM

Aug 2007
Best episode so far.

I was shaking half of the episode.
Jan 6, 2008 8:35 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Definitely about 20x better than the first 'card' arc. Really enjoying this crazyness.
Jan 14, 2008 12:47 AM

Aug 2007
Am I the only one who felt as if I was crossing the beam with Kaiji and the others?

The feelings this episode gave out was just so realistic.
Jan 15, 2008 1:30 PM

Oct 2007
Xinil said:
Definitely about 20x better than the first 'card' arc. Really enjoying this crazyness.

I wouldn't say that, I thought the card arc was great and overall I thought it was just as intense as this current arc, just in a different way.

During the card arc had the show ranked as a 9, but this arc has made it a 10.

trishhy said:
Am I the only one who felt as if I was crossing the beam with Kaiji and the others?

Yes, this is one of those rare shows where I actually feel like I'm in the show myself. I like to point out the scene where Kaiji was in the transport that was taking them to the first set of beams (ya know, the ones where you don't die when you fall). It was just great because Kaiji was inside of the transport and that is all you saw, nothing outside, and nothing showing you were they were taking him. You were just as clueless as Kaiji and it really helped convey the fear that Kaiji was experiencing.
Mar 26, 2008 2:21 AM

Feb 2008
Damn, this episode was so good. Very intense.
Completely loved the 2nd half. If the next 2 episodes are as good as this one, I'm giving this a 10 =P
Feb 5, 2009 4:21 PM

Jun 2008
So fucking intense!!!
Feb 8, 2009 10:44 PM

Jul 2008
OTA!!!

Kaiji shouting is epic.
May 2, 2009 8:55 AM

Oct 2008
I'm wondering if depressed or suicidal people would have a better chance at making it across. Or people that don't really care about their lives, since the main obstacle that everyone on that bridge is facing is fear of death. Of falling and dying. Truly a monster within all of us.

Would people who are not afraid of heights or not afraid of death have an advantage in making it across?

It's amazing how psychological this can be and how intense an episode of this series can get.
May 25, 2009 3:02 AM
Apr 2009
Neverender said:

This.

Seriously I felt chills down my spine as Ota and the other guy fell. I can't even imagine how scared they were. This show is too awesome.
Jun 22, 2009 6:21 PM
Apr 2007
DigimonTamer said:
trishhy said:

Yes, this is one of those rare shows where I actually feel like I'm in the show myself. I like to point out the scene where Kaiji was in the transport that was taking them to the first set of beams (ya know, the ones where you don't die when you fall). It was just great because Kaiji was inside of the transport and that is all you saw, nothing outside, and nothing showing you were they were taking him. You were just as clueless as Kaiji and it really helped convey the fear that Kaiji was experiencing.

I agree with both of you - I also felt that I was crossing the beam with Kaiji and the others. The camerawork was probably a key part of it, especially with the rocking back and forth as the others plunged to their death (or at least fell a long way).
Oct 17, 2009 10:59 AM

Feb 2009
This is crazy and stupid only guys would go through that hell! No wonder there are no women among them!

This time I can't agree with Kaiji He should have never cross that bridge.

My motto is not putting yourself in hopeless situation.

The people who are watching are cruel indeed, but those who accepted the deal are morons!
Dec 13, 2009 5:27 PM

Apr 2009
Why the hell is Kaiji so concerned about the others? Why does he have to play leader? Those are the same guys that merely an hour or two ago were pushing the ones in front of them to win the previous race... also this anime is filled with too many tears... anyway this episode was slow but I still liked it.
Dec 20, 2009 3:57 PM
Oct 2009
TYSM said:
I'm wondering if depressed or suicidal people would have a better chance at making it across. Or people that don't really care about their lives, since the main obstacle that everyone on that bridge is facing is fear of death. Of falling and dying. Truly a monster within all of us.

Would people who are not afraid of heights or not afraid of death have an advantage in making it across?

It's amazing how psychological this can be and how intense an episode of this series can get.

its definitely the opposite...the type of people will make it are.. the ones with strong will power who can conquer their fears.. the ones who want to live..people like Kaiji...."depressed or suicidal" types likely won't fight against the fear of death and will accept it instead and then fall...

on a side note i was totally wondering how many tails that "sealed monster" has
Mar 8, 2010 1:54 PM

Apr 2009
damn this is intense...
awesome episode
Apr 25, 2010 10:11 AM

May 2009
Kajji: SAHARAAAAAA
Sahara: IMPOSSIBLE!!!
this is fuckin epic
May 16, 2010 9:22 AM
Mar 2010
No anime episode has ever scared me as much as this one did.
beegyx8ball.deviantart.com

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.