Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 5, 2012 8:34 PM

May 2012
I love Lucky Star, but i didn't like this particular this episode... no offense to the people that liked this episode but it wasn't really enjoyable to me.
MikuxXxLuka
May 10, 2012 3:30 PM

Apr 2012
I heard that this is a good anime but the problem is that i heard is seinen and im a guy and i dont like things to boring like only talk i need action doing something?
Is this worth to wacht?
May 14, 2012 2:14 PM

Sep 2011
Interesting...?
This was a very confusing, but fun first episode. It was like random stuff thrown together without any connection whatsoever. Yet I still found most of the dialogue pretty funny :) So I will surely not drop this series, though it will also need some kind of a little story that can hold together the little scenes.

Characters are likeable so far, and Konata is win. I really like her style, no wonder how many favorites she has.
The OP wasn't really new to me, I've heard it many times before, and I like it. It's that "weird and so bad its actually good" type of song :)

Looking forward for more Lucky Star!
Jun 4, 2012 11:42 PM
Aug 2008
CallMeFreakPT said:
I heard that this is a good anime but the problem is that i heard is seinen and im a guy and i dont like things to boring like only talk i need action doing something?
Is this worth to wacht?

If you're concerned about that, then I would recommend that you stay away from this series, because a lot of it is talk.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Jun 16, 2012 10:17 AM

Jun 2011
Well that was random... I don't think this show was meant to have a specific plot. I think it was meant to be funny... kinda like Crayon Shin Chan.
Jul 12, 2012 7:50 AM

Jul 2012
No matter how many times i watch this... I have no idea of what's going on. But F*ck that, it's fun XD
O'Hai :D
Jul 13, 2012 5:50 AM
May 2012
I found the first part extremly boring, too much talking about random food agve me a headache!!

Aug 15, 2012 10:28 PM

Sep 2011
I pretty much skipped bit and pieces of this episode, Idk what the hype was about, but that was fairy boring. Especially the food part.
Dec 12, 2012 12:42 PM

Apr 2012
Just realized one of my favorite tracks from the J-core Masterz series uses Lucky Star's opening theme. This will take a moment to sink in.

Apart from that, the episode was kind of haphazard, but animation+characters+humor are all likeable, so I didn't mind they were introduced with foodtalk (Japanese generic topic 101).
Dec 29, 2012 5:39 PM

Jan 2012
This episode had WAY too much talking, even in the beginning I was getting sleepy. The part that saved it was Konata and the "Lucky Star Channel" where the girl quickly changes moods, hilarious! XD

Ill watch the rest of the episodes but no hurry...
Mar 28, 2013 2:03 PM

Oct 2011
I actually laughed at the food talk! Nice introductory episode. The characters seem pretty fun. Hoping the rest is good, too!
Apr 13, 2013 10:35 AM

Nov 2011
The first episode says it all on the originality of this anime series. The opening is fantastic and the characters are cute though sketchy, on all outstanding Konata! Right first time!
Jun 10, 2013 11:56 PM

Dec 2012
Another anime about anything random? Count me in!
Jun 11, 2013 2:07 AM

Feb 2013
First episode of my first anime I watched it... dubbed. Nevertheless, I find it a pretty nice episode, showing it's 'structure' of how this anime goes.
Nov 2, 2013 4:12 PM
Mar 2013
My god, those girls would not shut-up! I mean, I don't think I've ever seen an anime where they talk for every single minute of the show, usually there's a few seconds of silence but no, not this time.

I'm watching the dub instead and I must say l'm perfectly fine with the voices, it certainly helps that I'm familiar with Tsukasa Hiiragi's english voice actor.

Overall I wouldn't say I found it boring, more like disbelief. Looking forward to this anime, especially since my friend told me the first ep is worst out of all of them.
Nov 23, 2013 12:00 PM

Apr 2012
Yes I heard the 1st episode is pretty bad so hopefully it improves a lot.
Jun 17, 2014 9:44 PM

Mar 2013
I mean... wow, is this one a stinker. I second greebo on this.
Also, Konata is best girl so far.
Jun 21, 2014 5:03 AM

Oct 2013
haha think im going to like this one ^-^
good first episode
[/quote]
Aug 7, 2014 1:19 PM
Feb 2013
This was one series I've kept hearing about & decided to give it a go.

Quite random but amusing in places, the food talk was probably the highlight.

It was just about the main 4 girls, with the twins Mum being the only other to to get much screentime. For some reason almost every anime I've watched has Kikuko Inoue supplying a voice, it's not like I go out of my way to watch things she's done.

I normally give 1st episodes some leeway to allow things to settle down.

I'm hoping things will pickup, some series need an episode or 2 to get into the swing of things.

The OP was good, & the ending was smart by not just singing but having some chat over the beginning.
Dec 4, 2014 8:04 PM

Sep 2014
Even though this episode has its moments (like the street figthers parody) i think this is not for me.... ill apply teh 3 episode rule, and the im out (at least i think i will)
Jan 28, 2015 2:51 PM

Nov 2013
Why didn't anyone tell me that this was the best anime of all time? Time to binge-watch all of it.
Mar 3, 2015 9:53 AM
Dec 2011
I love you konata chan :3
Mar 3, 2015 11:54 PM
Dec 2011
this is one of my top ten animes and it will be forever :3 konata chan is just like me :3
Jun 1, 2015 10:05 PM

Dec 2012
I have begun my pilgrimage through hell on Earth. Ever since that day in high school when I saw the weeaboos dressing up as their favorite Lucky Star characters and speaking broken Japanese, I knew this would be my greatest obstacle. One punch to the stomach down, 23 to go.

Episode 1 - I desperately rummage through my belongings to find a scalpel to dig out my eyeballs in hopes of never reading another line about chocolate cornets ever again. Konata being a hyper otaku isn't really that funny yet, it might grow on me later but I can't imagine it keeping me for 24 episodes. At least Lucky Channel was a bit amusing.
Jul 31, 2015 3:10 AM

Sep 2013
What am I doing with my life when I am watching this anime :D
Aug 1, 2015 1:33 PM

Jul 2014
Kubino said:
What am I doing with my life when I am watching this anime :D

Wasting it.
Aug 10, 2015 8:55 PM

Jul 2013
I don't mind long conversations but if you are gonna have on one your show it has to be something interesting about.

The whole food discussion just wasn't.
Jan 10, 2017 12:35 AM

May 2013
First ep was aight. I kind of expected more, hearing so much hype over Lucky Star. I hope it gets funnier. The randomness doesn't bother me since it reminds me of Azumanga Daioh :)
Apr 13, 2017 9:09 AM
Mar 2017
I enjoyed episode this enough.
5/5 for this episode.
10/10 for the show.
Can't wait to watch the next.
May 16, 2017 11:43 AM

May 2017
I watched this on fanbsubs back in 2007, thought it was hilarious. Especially the opening food discussion scene is now a classic! Also Konata & sensei playing the same MMO is just beyond hilarious/ridiculous and cute!
Jun 12, 2017 5:46 PM
Jul 2016
So the first episode was basically 50% discussing how to eat various foods... Don´t know what I was expecting, but not that anyway. I won´t write it off yet... But if it doesn´t get better than this within the next 3 episodes I probably won´t continue watching it. I´ll be putting in on hold then, becasue I´m raised to finish what I´ve started.

But let´s see how it develops, the big question is how this anime have a rating of 7,85, hopefully it´ll give me something promising.
Sep 20, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2013
Episode was a bit crazier than I had thought, but I guess that's just Japan for you. So far it's a nice SoL anime :3
Nov 4, 2017 1:20 AM

Jun 2016
Whoa this show is kinda heavy dialogue, huh? And I wasnt expecting it or is it just like that in the first episode? Hehe. Love the humors, though. Will continue watching. Yas.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 11, 2018 1:08 PM

Oct 2012
Well, I heard this series was quite funny but in fact it was exactly opposite, it was boring most of the time with one or two situations that very probably interesting but overall not a good start.

Seems similiar to Nichijou in its boringness and nothing close to greatness of Azumanga so far. I'll give it few more episodes, really don't know where the worship of this series came from, it's one of the weaker titles of KyoAni if I have to judge after the first episode.
Dec 12, 2018 11:13 PM

Jul 2012
Mich666 said:
Well, I heard this series was quite funny but in fact it was exactly opposite, it was boring most of the time with one or two situations that very probably interesting but overall not a good start.

Seems similiar to Nichijou in its boringness and nothing close to greatness of Azumanga so far. I'll give it few more episodes, really don't know where the worship of this series came from, it's one of the weaker titles of KyoAni if I have to judge after the first episode.

I found it interesting you compared this show to Nichijou. I found Nichijou absolutely hilarious. This show on the other hand has some of the driest comedy I have ever heard. Nichijou at least had some scenes that blew up in production value that was mostly referencing the absurd reactions people give for the most mundane and unlikely of situations. Nichijou also relies very heavily on slapstick humor. Lucky Star's humor is completely different. Lucky Star leads to very dialogue heavy scenes where the characters just sit around and contemplate on the minutia of Japanese culture. This show is probably a lot more funny if you are actually Japanese. Being an American, most of the cultural references in this show I simply do not understand.
Dec 13, 2018 7:47 AM

Oct 2012
Weebaloo said:
I found it interesting you compared this show to Nichijou. I found Nichijou absolutely hilarious. This show on the other hand has some of the driest comedy I have ever heard. Nichijou at least had some scenes that blew up in production value that was mostly referencing the absurd reactions people give for the most mundane and unlikely of situations. Nichijou also relies very heavily on slapstick humor. Lucky Star's humor is completely different. Lucky Star leads to very dialogue heavy scenes where the characters just sit around and contemplate on the minutia of Japanese culture. This show is probably a lot more funny if you are actually Japanese. Being an American, most of the cultural references in this show I simply do not understand.

I generally don't like the slapstick so that may be the reason. For me Nichijou was the best in its middle where the authors got really creative with character interactions, it was off for boring start to me, with several really good episodes here and there but overall not very memorable series to me.

As for Lucky Star, I'll give the series yet another chance and watch more episodes as I do think I know a lot about japanese culture but for me the any dry comedy needs to have perfect jokes or on spot cultural references, else it's just hit or miss most of the time.
Feb 16, 2019 1:28 AM

Feb 2013
Kuruwin said:
I don't mind long conversations but if you are gonna have on one your show it has to be something interesting about.

I think the dumb conversations worked well at giving us a glimpse in how all the girls think on baseline level. I'm not sure if the show will have more varied conversation beyond this point, but this was a decent opener.
Feb 18, 2019 12:28 AM

Jul 2013
Piegoose said:
Kuruwin said:

I think the dumb conversations worked well at giving us a glimpse in how all the girls think on baseline level. I'm not sure if the show will have more varied conversation beyond this point, but this was a decent opener.

The show does get better after director changes (after couple of episodes)

To me the first couple of episodes felt really cringy but the show eventually ended up having place in my heart.
Jul 17, 2019 7:49 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
What a stupid show this is.

Dropped.
Sep 17, 2019 10:47 AM

Jul 2019
I went in almost blind so I did not know what to expect. I love it for some reason.
Nov 4, 2019 3:53 AM

Oct 2016
Hearing the hype I decided to take a look. Not sure how to feel after laughing out loud, realizing they have been talking about the tiniest details about food for straight up 5 minutes. I expect to see more comedy in this or something more interesting to keep my attention up.

Art style is cute tho, so that's a bonus.
Mar 4, 2020 3:22 PM

Sep 2019
This was boring AF. How can anyone would love this? They were talking about food for like half of the time. I'm Sorry I'm not Japanese, I don't about Japanese food.
Jul 16, 2020 9:01 AM

May 2016
Damn that was a lot talk they did.
Jul 31, 2020 1:21 PM

Mar 2018
O_o What the hell... I was hoping something would happen eventually but all we got was a couple of girls talking about how they like to eat their food?! I mean seriously. I love SoL but this is too much SoL. Nothing happens.
Feb 9, 2021 3:29 AM

Jan 2020
I... I watched the first episode expecting an easy slice of life, without much expectations, something to relax to... but this...
This is one of the most BORING thing I ever watched, oh my god. It made absolutely no-sense, but not in a good way.
Nothing in 23 minutes made me think "I want to continue this".

I'm gonna watch some other episodes because I want to see if it's just the first episode, but... if not for the graphics and the animation (which I found cute and pleasant), I would drop this instantly.
Feb 10, 2021 7:40 AM

Feb 2020
That wasn't so strong first episode. I didn't like that heavy dialogue which made me distracted couple of times and it was hard to pay any focus. The comedy wasn't for my taste either, so I'm a bit disappointment. I have seen so many CGDCT/SoL/comedy/school anime before this and I have heard this is one of the best there is, but.. Oh, well. I'm still going to watch rest of the episodes and then made my final judgement.

3/5 or 6/10 so far.
Mar 10, 2021 3:02 AM

May 2018
soo... which end do you eat the coronet from?

came back to this show after putting it on hold for over a year. I hope every episode is not too boring because there are many great parts
Mar 16, 2021 1:27 PM

Aug 2020
I understand why a lot of people don't really like this episode; people want to watch an anime with a plot, not one where they just discuss different techniques of eating food. However, I sometimes like having an anime I can put on in the background and don't have to think about it too much.

So far, this show just gives me the vibes of a random chatting podcast and not an actual anime (other than the animation) lol
May 31, 2021 6:29 AM

Jul 2014
Making a first episode like this - which seems to intentionally try and be as inane as tedious as humanely possible - is certainly a bold strategy, but I guess this show can get away with it thanks to gaining a cult following in the mid-2000s. The Lucky Channel bit was kind of funny, but otherwise this was a dismal first episode that felt like I was just watching any old bad slice-of-life anime.

I swear, even the thoroughly-mediocre and often tedious Yuyushiki was more entertaining than this first episode. Choco coronets can fuck off.
Aug 8, 2021 3:49 PM

Aug 2015
wow, this episode was damn boring.

That chocolate cornet talk killed me I was like "how long are you guys gonna keep talking about it", I had to fast forward that part out of frustration which I never do (even if it's boring I just like to let it playoff, but this one was just way too boring and dragged out)

well, that was the negative part of the episode.

I liked the lucky star channel, that girl switching from cutesy voice to adult serious voice was pretty funny.

and the absolute best part of this episode was the Opening, one of the best, catchiest openings I've ever heard.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

chibuki - Sep 16, 2007

252 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:50 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Sep 10, 2007

85 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joseph_ - Aug 27, 2007

112 by biuberry »»
Apr 8, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Lucky Star Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - May 22, 2007

84 by Celt1cs »»
Apr 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sidestep - Aug 19, 2007

62 by biuberry »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.