Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2009 12:19 PM
Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
DEEN needs to cool it with the facial expressions. They're going to blow their budget animating Maria's grins at this rate.

Novel fans should be happy to hear Core during the parlor scene.
Jul 15, 2009 1:13 PM

Sep 2007
When Maria suddenly stops laughing and her expression goes back to normal. Creepiest. Thing. Ever.
Jul 15, 2009 2:32 PM

Jun 2008
Anime Eva is so delicious <3 <3 <3

And I'm so happy that they used Core since that's one of my favorites.

Other than the ridiculous faces, I'm pretty satisified with this episode. It's definitely better than the first two.

Why was Maria watching the same thing she was watching last episode? Don't they have anything else to watch?
Jul 15, 2009 2:46 PM

Jul 2009
I think it is a video tape and the storm cut the TV signal.

(I know in the VN they had still the TV signal but I think it is more realistic in this way)

But had Hanyuu lost her horns or is this just a mistake from me?

Any way great ep.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear ist the fear of the unknown.

H.P. Lovecraft
Jul 15, 2009 3:35 PM
Feb 2009
Zedrane said:
When Maria suddenly stops laughing and her expression goes back to normal. Creepiest. Thing. Ever.

I agree, but that what makes Maria....Maria (well, she's a bit psychotic) :D

ElikaJul 15, 2009 3:48 PM
Jul 15, 2009 6:04 PM

Jun 2007
SilentXenocide said:
Pretty good episode. Better than the first two in my opinion. The pacing was relatively good, and I'm surprised they didn't cover more than the second twilight. I wonder how many episodes will be dedicated to Episode 1 at this rate.

SilentXenocide said:
Pretty good episode. Better than the first two in my opinion. The pacing was relatively good, and I'm surprised they didn't cover more than the second twilight. I wonder how many episodes will be dedicated to Episode 1 at this rate.

Jul 15, 2009 8:08 PM

Dec 2008
I agree the pacing with this episode was much ebtter than the last two, but I really don't enjoy how they animated Maria's cynical look.

Cheers to DEEN for showing another Higurashi Kai segment easter egg on Maria's TV. :p
Jul 15, 2009 8:47 PM

Oct 2008
So I suppose DEEN is trying to finish all 4 EPs in one go...

Maria is win, never thought anime could surpass the creepiness of Maria in VNs. They proved me wrong.
Jul 15, 2009 8:52 PM

Sep 2007
I loved Battler dread-of-the-grave-mode against Eva.
Best episode so far.
Jul 15, 2009 8:59 PM

Oct 2008
mouselmm said:
So I suppose DEEN is trying to finish all 4 EPs in one go...

Maria is win, never thought anime could surpass the creepiness of Maria in VNs. They proved me wrong.

Agreed, those sudden facial changes are creepy.
Also liked the scene in the kitchen, quite well done.

Jul 15, 2009 9:52 PM

Jul 2008
Aww, Maria's facial expressions were really awesome.
This episode wasn't as rushed as two first eps so I enjoyed this a little more (+ lot of Kanon !)

&& Kanon's facial expressions were really awesome aswell in the end ! ♥
SonjaJul 15, 2009 9:56 PM

Jul 15, 2009 10:40 PM

May 2007
AntiDentite said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
DEEN needs to cool it with the facial expressions. They're going to blow their budget animating Maria's grins at this rate.

lol true >__<, they are trying too much to give an higurashi feeling at non VN readers
but the Beato's discussion with the servants was really well done

and with this episode we have Battler's catchphrase too
Jul 15, 2009 11:29 PM

Apr 2007
This episode was... really good. I think only about 2-3 chapters were covered in this episode. And there's 4 chapters left (5 including the tea party). I liked this pacing as well.

Other than the fact that Natsuhi holding the shotgun scene didn't surprised anyone, and some rather of the freak-out/creepy faces, very good episode.

Hopefully, with this pacing and the important scenes staying relatively intact, we'll have less VN-players complaining about cuts.
Jul 15, 2009 11:47 PM

May 2009
Ah, I never thought about that. I wonder if they'll end up adding the epilogues or not once they finish the main storyline for Episode 1. ^^;

Kinda had my fingers crossed for Hope(ver1.00) showing up, but ah, well. I'd be happy if they brought that up somewhere later on, though. ^^~

Jul 16, 2009 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
Eva=Takano, it's just the exactly same voice :v

Nonetheless, now we are at 10 out of 18. Wonder how it will continue, and especially I wonder how it will solve. The Hideyoshi+Eva murder seems more like a murder mystery, the blood mark on the door was painted in the short time Kanon went to get the secateurs?

btw Kanon reminds me of Souseiseki with that :p
Jul 16, 2009 12:18 AM
May 2009
Like most people here, I'm very happy with how this episode was paced. Three episodes should be more than enough to complete Episode I without rushing too much, and it should even have enough time to fit in about 7-10 minutes' worth of the epilogue.

If I have to pick a point of criticism, the gun came in too subtly. Natsuhi could have opened the door holding the shotgun, and then everyone would look at her like, "what the heck is going on," and dark music would be playing in the background. And then she clears the mood by saying she brought it just in case.
throwaway513846Jul 18, 2009 11:53 PM
Jul 16, 2009 2:10 AM

Nov 2007
I loved this episode. They're getting the hang of the pacing, and Maria's "kihihihihi" expressions were really good. The only thing I want now is for them to play goldenslaughterer longer than just a few seconds XP.
Jul 16, 2009 2:18 AM

Sep 2008
Great episode once more! My favorite part would have to be the part where Battler imagined Ginzo hiding under a table and sneaking out afterwords. xD

At this point, I could only think that George is the culprit, I mean how many lines did he get in this episode?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2009 2:20 AM

Sep 2007
Ahhh looks like more people died. Maria's facial expressions are just priceless. Don't they all find it suspicious that a little loli suddenly turns all creepy with her laughs.
Jul 16, 2009 2:24 AM

Aug 2007
first time posting here :3
BakaOnna said:
Hopefully, with this pacing and the important scenes staying relatively intact, we'll have less VN-players complaining about cuts.

Agreed. I am quite unsatisfied with the first episode, seeing so many missing scenes (albeit some aren't that important to the story), but the pace of the show improved in the 2nd, and even better in episode 3.

edit: and I especially love goldenslaughter BGM in the end, really fit the mood :3
_seraphJul 16, 2009 2:41 AM

The destinies mend rift in time as men etches fate anew
Jul 16, 2009 2:25 AM

Jun 2007
Wasabi said:
Ahhh looks like more people died. Maria's facial expressions are just priceless. Don't they all find it suspicious that a little loli suddenly turns all creepy with her laughs.

More creepy than suspicious. No one suspects Maria because she's just a 9 year old girl. How could she possibly kill 6 people at once?
Jul 16, 2009 2:28 AM

Mar 2008
ShogoKAWADA said:
I think it is a video tape and the storm cut the TV signal.

(I know in the VN they had still the TV signal but I think it is more realistic in this way)

But had Hanyuu lost her horns or is this just a mistake from me?

Any way great ep.

no, i dont think that was hanyuu, it was the one guy thats in the staff list of higurashi and has an anime char as his pic for some reason lol.

Ep was interesting, i havent played the VN so i have no clue what to expect...xD

Jul 16, 2009 2:40 AM

Feb 2008
Much better than the first two episodes. They got this episode down great.
Jul 16, 2009 2:43 AM

Apr 2009
There was a bit of QUALITY here and there, but it was good.

More Higurashi crossovers, huzzah.
Jul 16, 2009 2:45 AM

Jul 2008
marai sure is creepy. and then 2 more. interesting how battler try to solve the case without believing in the witch. but i think it will go to a more surreal way.

Jul 16, 2009 2:53 AM
Apr 2009
That was awesome.

Why don't they say anything about Maria?
Jul 16, 2009 3:08 AM

Apr 2009
Still waiting for small bombs.
Jul 16, 2009 3:17 AM

Jan 2009
Oh man, totally loved this episode. Maria is just so creepy. :argh The way her facial expression animated, camera shot and angle it's totally frickin' awesome.

Deen doing amazing job so far.
Jul 16, 2009 3:18 AM

Jul 2008
Am I the only one that looked up that Bible Verse?

Great Episode. More Murder, more Maria, and more creepy blood writing. Can't wait to try and see Battler explain the murders in the locked room next week!
Jul 16, 2009 3:22 AM

May 2008
Maria is freaking creepy,

I loved this episode I really felt the tension
Jul 16, 2009 3:26 AM

May 2008
I hate Maria... and absolutely nobody slaps her arround for suddenly being such a creep.
Jul 16, 2009 4:05 AM

Mar 2008
Mercurio said:
I hate Maria... and absolutely nobody slaps her arround for suddenly being such a creep.

Well, that's her role. I mean she seems to be quite a little evil witch herself. A normal human wouldn't use violence against a creepy kid who doesn't actually do something bad. So everything is alright with Maria.

This episode was pretty good. The only boring thing is that it's obvious that some people will die per episode. Makes it pretty predictable.

But other than that we had a good mood, good dialogues and it really delivered, though for non-VN palyers it would have been better if they didn't show Beatrice in the OP/ED and in ep1, which would actually make the whole story less predictable.
Jul 16, 2009 4:19 AM

Dec 2007
Very happy with this episode. Some of the more dramatic scenes like Battlers discussion with the servants and the families discussion of the current events where handled flawlessly. I also liked the way the stakes looked animated, pretty creepy. Though one thing im concerned about is the fact that its not written will make it harder for watchers too understand things that readers were given, such as where the servants were looking while talking to Battler and how close Eva and Hidoyoshi are (no spoilers btw so don't think too much about this and attack me).

And all i keep thinking is that i cant wait foe episode 2 so everyone watching will get a true feeling of why Umineko is so great. God i hope they animate the Tea Party and the ????, if not the story will be soooooooo hard to follow for watchers.

And Kinzo hiding under the bed was hilarious~

Forever said:

This episode was pretty good. The only boring thing is that it's obvious that some people will die per episode. Makes it pretty predictable.

But other than that we had a good mood, good dialogues and it really delivered, though for non-VN palyers it would have been better if they didn't show Beatrice in the OP/ED and in ep1, which would actually make the whole story less predictable.

Knowing people will die isn't a drawback of Umineko. Its obvious that people will die given the nature of the series, but knowing who will die is the important part. And unless they start speeding up again, there wont be a death every episode, so don't worry about that.

The series is ANYTHING but predictable. And they spoiled the hell out of the opening but none of that matters since you don't know what it means. Believe me, once episode 2 rolls around, "predictable" will be the last word on your mind while watching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2009 4:50 AM

Apr 2009
hirahira said:
Anime Eva is so delicious <3 <3 <3

And I'm so happy that they used Core since that's one of my favorites.

Other than the ridiculous faces, I'm pretty satisified with this episode. It's definitely better than the first two.

Why was Maria watching the same thing she was watching last episode? Don't they have anything else to watch?

I caught that too. Me thinks they cut back on the budget a little there. On a side note I think they should chain up Maria seriously shes creeping me out.
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Jul 16, 2009 5:08 AM

Jul 2008
Forever said:

The series is ANYTHING but predictable. And they spoiled the hell out of the opening but none of that matters since you don't know what it means. Believe me, once episode 2 rolls around, "predictable" will be the last word on your mind while watching.

lol the op spoils something XD?
Jul 16, 2009 5:38 AM

Jan 2008
Haha, no censoring ftw. More dead!
Jul 16, 2009 5:43 AM

Sep 2007
GarLogan78 said:
Forever said:

Yes it does, a lot of things actually... well not everything of course, just a lot. But who cares? VN readers are happy cos it's a cool op, with hints, non-VN readers just like it cos it's cool :D

As for the episode itself:
It was good, much better than the 2 first eps. This is where all the thinking, and I would say Umineko itself starts :)
Although I would have liked to see more of EvaxHideyoshi, cos in the VN I felt that their death was more tragic, cos the moments before it were more romantic imho.
Jul 16, 2009 5:59 AM

Jul 2008
lol Genji is a ghost!!
Jul 16, 2009 6:07 AM

Jun 2007
GarLogan78 said:
Forever said:

A good example of some things not being a spoiler until someone tells them it is.
Jul 16, 2009 6:21 AM
Mar 2009
Another great episode delivered from Studio Deen. More murders, more mystery, and more Maria looking creepy as hell while no one seems to give a shit.
Jul 16, 2009 6:44 AM
Feb 2009
While your average person will be amazed by Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, I'm probably one of those weirdos who aren't. I'm a few episodes in, and I've found the series to be boring. My opinion of it probably will change over time, but first impressions usually linger all throughout the series.

Back to the point: I've been hearing lots of praise for this series which is made by the same company/animators/game developers and all that. I've been reading posts that reference Higurashi in that they both share the same dark atmosphere. However, so far, all I see is some exaggerated facial expressions and a bit of exposure of sharp teeth from some loli. Is this the "dark" and psychologically unstable elements in this series that everyone is referring to?

I hope that the mystery and suspense in this series will be as great as that of Detective Conan. I'd be seriously pissed if I'm going to sit through the entire season of "dark" atmosphere only to find some crap ending.
Jul 16, 2009 6:45 AM

May 2008
I love this. I really can't stand Maria though <_< This episode with her laughing and crap just did it for me. I'm all for creepy laughing, but the way she acts and everything regardless of what's going on is just driving me nuts.

Jul 16, 2009 6:47 AM

Sep 2008
Best episode yet! This thing is just getting better and better. As though the previous episodes weren't awesome enough.
Jul 16, 2009 6:57 AM

Mar 2008
Ketuekigami said:
Knowing people will die isn't a drawback of Umineko. Its obvious that people will die given the nature of the series, but knowing who will die is the important part. And unless they start speeding up again, there wont be a death every episode, so don't worry about that.

Good to hear that. Then I will look forward to the coming events and especially to your praised 2nd act.
Jul 16, 2009 7:29 AM

Jul 2009
Wow. That episode was absolutely phenomenal. I have never played the "games" but I have high expectations from something following Higurashi and that episode was great. I just don't understand why they haven't visited the epitaph on Beatrice's picture and tried to solve that mystery. xD

The "murderer" said it'll stop once they figure it out, wouldn't that be like, one of the first things you'd try to do? I guess they refuse to believe it's supernatural. Also,

Witch's Epitaph:
(If you care to reference)

1 - http://picasaweb.google.com/hannu.laurila/UminekoNoNakuKoroNiCharactersEpitaph#5356539652864790674

2-
http://picasaweb.google.com/hannu.laurila/UminekoNoNakuKoroNiCharactersEpitaph#5356539699208729474

3-
http://picasaweb.google.com/hannu.laurila/UminekoNoNakuKoroNiCharactersEpitaph#5356539733571908802

and

I found this on another forum it might serve as a nice reference if you're interested:

This is the seventh magic circle of the sun. ...The characters are written in Hebrew.

Written on the top and bottom and left and right are the names of the angels who preside over wind, fire, earth and water. Chasan, Arel, Phorlakh, and Taliahad. And in the four corners are the names of the four great kings. Ariel, Seraph, Tharshis, and Cherub.

...written around the circumference.

Psalms, chapter 116, verses 16 and 17.
"The Lord has freed me from my chains. I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call the name of the Lord"
Jul 16, 2009 7:45 AM

Feb 2008
Very interesting episode. I'm guessing this series isn't going to be very long since we're only at episode three and nearly out of characters! There's no heir right now and the only adult left is Natsuhi, not looking good on the suspicion front.
Jul 16, 2009 7:51 AM

Jun 2008
SHE WAS WATCHING HIGURASHI

edit: finished the episode. interesting. still doesn't have the same charm or creepyness that higurashi had, but everyone's probably tired of comparisons so I'll stop.

omg, the guy's voice in the ending song is so annoying.
GrmoJul 16, 2009 8:02 AM
Jul 16, 2009 8:04 AM

Dec 2007
so i honestly love this anime ...
maria's expresions are always... very creepy.

i wonder if i should read the manga... and, God! i wish i had the game, but i had to live in this stupid country where you can't find anything unless it is extremely popular and boring!
DayanJul 16, 2009 8:20 AM
Jul 16, 2009 8:17 AM
Apr 2009
10 left :)
keep on killing !
Jul 16, 2009 8:17 AM
May 2008
Another good episode but I've enjoyed all the episodes so far. Maybe it's just me but the series seems to be moving really quickly... eight deaths in three episodes... seems like a lot.

Since I haven't played the VN and am only half way through the manga I can only speculate but I really doubt this has anything to do with the supernatural. Just like the Higurashi series made you believe that everything was supernatural... until it's explained and you realize it's not for the most part.

<Obligatory Maria's facial expressions are creepy comment.>
Dead Account
Please Delete
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.