Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2009 1:34 PM

Dec 2007
Hello.

I am looking to buy a game to play during the summer. I've been to the games stores but I don't really know what to buy. ;-; So... Help please?

I want a game for the PS2 (not investing on anymore consoles). I like stuff that has a story and that you play to, well, discover the story. I have a terrible motor ability for playing games though, so most games I played are Spyro and the likes (but I am proud to have finished them to 100% xD) I like fantasy and stuff with fights, but I'm horrible at shooters.

Consider as well that the last game I played was Kingdom Hearts and I had to use an online tutorial.

So, what should I buy? :3
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 14, 2009 1:50 PM

Aug 2008
I want to rec Odin Sphere. But it might be challenging considering your context, but hopefully keeping it set on the easiest mode would alleviate that.

There's lots of fights and the story is progressively revealed/filled in as you play. Five different characters give you different points of views and pieces of the overall plot. Great fantasy story. Beautiful 2D graphics. Maybe a little hard, but button mashing can probably deal with the harder parts on easy difficulty. :/

Shadow of the Colossus is a more action oriented game that reveals the story as you adventure/fight. One of the better late PS2 games. It's more atmospheric and text silent than wordy RPG type stories.

Maybe Okami for a general Zelda like adventure with a nice story (best "silent" main character ever!) and really fun gameplay.

Baroque is a great example of story revelation as you explore, fight, and even die, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.
Jul 14, 2009 2:17 PM

Jun 2008
Here are some games you might enjoy:

Odin Sphere
Eternal Poison
Beyond Good and Evil
Psychonauts
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Ecco the Dolphine
Bouncer
Musashi Samurai Warrior
Phantom Dust
Retro8bitJul 14, 2009 2:21 PM
Jul 14, 2009 2:22 PM

Feb 2005
Persona 3 or 4 might be worth a try if you don't mind bit of grinding. As for guides and tutorials, there is a lot of stuff to these games, but you hardly need to fuse every persona or complete every side mission and S.Link to complete it.

The Disgaea games might be worth a try if you like grid based TRPGs, but do prepare for lots of grinding. The story tends to be rather humorous as well, with plenty of alternate endings and the like.

FFX or XII might also be worth a try, the difficulty in them is certainly not a hindrance.

The Jak & Daxter games might also be of interest. They are mainly platformers, at least the first one, but they aren't too hardcore.

Wild Arms 3 is another quite good RPG, if you can still find it.

There's also the .hack games, but I believe they are rather hard to find these days.

As for Odin sphere, It's absolutely recommendable, but the difficulty may be a problem at times (That bloody dragon boss at the end of the Cornelius arc, what the hell?)
Jul 14, 2009 2:42 PM

Jun 2007
Okami seems ideal for what you've said, a not very hard fantasy adventure game, with a funny and somewhat interesting story. As a personal rec, try one of the Katamari games (or both) and Dark Cloud 2.
Jul 14, 2009 3:02 PM

Apr 2009
Zig-sama said:
Here are some games you might enjoy:

Odin Sphere
Eternal Poison
Beyond Good and Evil
Psychonauts
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Ecco the Dolphine
Bouncer
Musashi Samurai Warrior
Phantom Dust

This
Jul 14, 2009 3:09 PM

May 2008
Retsu-kun said:
Okami
Seconded. Okami is amazing, funny, easy to play etc. I had such a great time when I played it.
Jul 14, 2009 3:31 PM

Mar 2008
There are plenty of good games for the Playstation 2, and as above I can only agree to the recommendations earlier made: Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X and Disgaea (Persona 3 and 4 are supposed to be good as well, but I still haven't snatched them off my friend.. yet).

Another quite fun game series would be Ratchet and Clank 1, 2: Going Commando and 3: Up Your Arsenal. They're really simple and quite hilarious too. While they are kind of platform-shooter-ish, you don't need a lot of skill to play through any of it. They are enjoyable and have some neat puzzles in them too. For the shooting part, you'll have tons of large guns blasting away everything on your screen, so you hardly have to aim. They've all got a few years on their neck (-02, -03 & -04) so they should be cheap ~
Jul 14, 2009 4:29 PM

Sep 2008
Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 is really good, you'll probably play it for over 40 hours

Final Fantasy 12 is a must if you like fantasy, easily the best final fantasy so far, also this will keep you playing for well over 80 hours

Okami is another must, probably one of the best games on the PS2, another 40 hour time killer

Xenosaga 1, 2, and 3 not the best games in the world, but will kill lots of time and u will have a decent time doing so. the 3rd one made me cry too :(
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 14, 2009 4:34 PM

Dec 2007
So far Okami and Odin Sphere seem the most voted. Thanks. =) Keep suggesting though because the games stores decided "ah the PS3 and the Wii and the XBox are lyk so great, let's just sell games for those" and the PS+PS2 games are all bundled in a discount section. Therefore I need many titles, as the probability I'll find them is small.

Also, things like button mashing... Well, I got a sister. She's good at pushing buttons. Gaming is one of the few activities we do together: I tell her the way and what to pick and what to kill and she obeys. I wanted to do it by myself but if the game only has one or two or 20 hard parts it's still ok. ^^
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 14, 2009 7:38 PM

Dec 2008
Baman said:
Persona 3 or 4 might be worth a try if you don't mind bit of grinding. As for guides and tutorials, there is a lot of stuff to these games, but you hardly need to fuse every persona or complete every side mission and S.Link to complete it.

The Disgaea games might be worth a try if you like grid based TRPGs, but do prepare for lots of grinding. The story tends to be rather humorous as well, with plenty of alternate endings and the like.

Those 2, and try the Ar Tonelico games
Jul 14, 2009 8:59 PM

Nov 2008
Suikoden III and Suikoden V have a simplier and easier gameplay compared to other hardcore JRPGs. They have great and epic storylines and a huge playable cast, so it will not be hard to find characters to relate to. They are also highly replayable with different endings and view points (in Suikoden 3 specially).
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Jul 14, 2009 9:13 PM

Jun 2008
Tales of the Abyss is a good, lengthy rpg with a good story to uncover, a simple and fun battle system with difficulty setting options, plenty of fighting, and a fantasy world. It is also one of those games that are very much like anime. (I'm guessing that you like anime.) (Don't let the anime adaptation of this game alter your decision.)
What you should consider is the fact that it is quite lengthy and you may need a walkthrough to help you along at times. It is also not very 2 player friendly and is definitely not a button masher.

The Dynasty Warriors series is good if you like button mashing action games. Extremely simple, but also quite fun. Make sure you don't choose one that has a horrible 2 player mode. (ie. Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires only has a few boring mini-games. Dynasty Warriors 5, on the other hand, has 2 player Musou Mode and Free Mode.) The series as a whole is a bit mediocre in quality, but its vast character selection and beat em' up feel makes it quite fun. One of those games that you can just stick in and play when someone comes over. No need to explain storyline or characters, just kill stuff.

Comments on the games already suggested:

Odin Sphere is definitely not for people that have horrible motor skills, but its linear gameplay does provide little to no confusion on where you should go/do next. Personally, I found the game pretty difficult. Inventory management and alchemy can sometimes be a bit frustrating as well.

The Bouncer is a short beat em' up game with an actual story. I would not consider this game to be a button masher, however. It is quite simple, but some of the fights can get a little annoying. Nothing a person that can play Kingdom Hearts couldn't handle though. Replay value is pretty high because you can choose between 3 different characters. In addition, there is a 2 player fighting mode where you can choose various characters from the game. (Including the bad guys.) This does get boring pretty fast though.

Persona 3 and 4 are rpgs that are quite popular. It has many extras present throughout the game which most would see as a huge asset. (Social Links, academics, choices, etc.) However, if you don't like complexity and having to do a little research, this game may not be the best choice for you. It's definitely not one of those games with a linear path that holds your hand the whole time.

I've only played Ar Tonelico II, but I'm hoping that they are all pretty similar. It's an rpg that has a unique battle system that can be fun and annoying. I say annoying because my ps2 lags sometimes and the blocking aspect of the battle system can be a little annoying when that happens. (This may just be me though.) This game also constantly uses sexual innuendo that can feel stupid to downright awkward at times...
Very pretty attack animations and anime-like feel to it is a plus though.
Jul 14, 2009 11:43 PM

Apr 2009
Star Ocean: Until the End of Time is one of my favorite PS2 games. Try Final Fantasy 7 Dirge of Cerberus, it's like a third person shooter ish. Final Fantasy X and X-2 if you haven't already. Devil May Cry series if you like hack and slash. Persona 3 definitely
Aug 4, 2009 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
try the hack series and also, suikoden series~
Aug 4, 2009 8:13 PM

Oct 2008
Based on what you say, I can only suggest these few games I rarely play:

Ar Tonelico: This game has an in-game tutorial. And if you still don't understand, you can always go into the help menu and check a simplified version of the same tutorial you receive throughout the story. Personally, I never look at any of the tutorials which means you can skip it if you like.

Devil Kings: Its called Sengoku Basara in Japan. The protagonist of the story varies depending on which character you pick. In the anime, Data Masamune is the protagonist, Sanada Yukimura is the rival, and Oda Nobunaga is the villian. This game is made by Capcom, which had also made lots of action games.

Dokapon Kingdom: This game is self-explanatory. You roll the dice just like a board game with a rather unique story with strange features.

Shadow of Destiny: This game is actually called Shadow of Memories in North America. The story is generally about time traveling and time paradox in which the story changes depending on the number of times you messed up and also where you messed up as that there is no game over and an indefinite number of continues. I got the bad ending and haven't played it since I bought the game awhile back..

Warriors Orochi: This game is called Musou Orochi in Japan and the story is the exact opposite of Sengoku Basara. You get to choose between Chinese characters from the Dynasty Warriors series and also Japanese characters from the Samurai Warriors series. The protagonist of the SW series is Oda Nobunaga and the villian this time around is Orochi, a demon king and Data Masamune is an ally of Orochi. This game is made by Koei which is well-known at making historical games.
Aug 4, 2009 9:53 PM

Oct 2008
Zone of the Enders - Set in the future on a colony right next to jupiter, the main character is a kid name Leo and you pilot the orbial frame (giant mech) called Jehuty after the colony has come under attack, mostly hack and slash gameplay, you fly to diffrent areas, save people and rid them of bad guys and the story progresses as you do so and you uncover more about whats really going on. Its fun and its a bit on the short side imo, its made by Konami and was produced by Hideo Kojima, same guy who created the Metal Gear Solid series. You can find a copy of it online for $10.

Metal Gear Solid 1 - You said your bad at shooting games, well... theres shooting involved, but its mostly a stealth game, you play as Solid Snake and you have to save the world from Metal Gear, a giant mech that can launch nuclear strikes from anywhere on the planet, it has a VERY good story with a memorable cast of characters, you can hide from enemys in various ways such as using a cardboard box, you have a variety of weapons to use as well, even if your not good at games like this, MGS1 is a classic and must be played by anyone with a PS1/PS2. It also has diffrent modes of difficulty, so even if your not that good, it has an easy mode to play on. You can usualy pick it up for $5-$10.

Silent Hill 3 - Ehhh i don't know if you like horror games, but silent hill 3 is really good, you play as a girl named heather who ends up gets trapped in a mall that slowy decends in to pure hell aka the "Otherworld" and becomes infested with monster from the "Otherworld". The mall isnt the only setting in the game, so your not in the same area the whole game, but i wont say to much because of spoilers. The only thing thats bothersome is the combat, its not so hot imo but other than that, its a terrific game and you should give it a try. If your looking for a game to play and discover the story, you'll wanna give SH3 a try. Its not really scary btw lol, its more cool than anything, but then again, eveyone is diffrent. *evil laugh*

I hope i helped you ;)

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
10 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.