Forum Settings
Forums

Do you tend to watch anime just because it's popular?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 9, 2009 4:55 AM

Mar 2009
I do get curious about popular or highly ranked animes (as in, are they really as good as what they seem to be) so if I'm interested in the storyline then I'd check them out. But I always watch stuff which interest me regardless of popularity.
Oct 9, 2009 5:10 AM
Sep 2009
My answer is pretty much the same as AlexisSolitaires answer. If its popular I get curious, but I only watch it if the storyline interests me.
Oct 9, 2009 5:11 AM

Jun 2009
Fjuff said:
My answer is pretty much the same as AlexisSolitaires answer. If its popular I get curious, but I only watch it if the storyline interests me.

i think the same
Oct 13, 2009 12:41 AM

Aug 2009
whats wrong if i try to watch an anime that is popular? popularity is one way to help us get recommendations for what anime we can watch. it is up to us to decide if we will continue to watch the anime up to the end. then after watching it even only the first few episodes then you decide if the popularity really stood up for it or it is just not your type at all. everyone of us has their own opinions on anime.
Oct 13, 2009 12:46 AM

Sep 2008
I learned my lesson after Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh, but that's a different topic.

I actually tend to stray away from the popular series. I won't write them off immediately but I just don't get to them as everyone else would.

I think half of my list contains stuff that quite a few haven't even heard of, and that's where the gems lie.
Feb 22, 2010 11:17 AM

Nov 2009
Nope.
Feb 22, 2010 11:39 AM
Sep 2009
I usually check out popular anime because they peek my interest; I want to see why they're so popular, and if they deserve their popularity...
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Feb 22, 2010 11:43 AM

Jan 2010
I usually watch whatever I fancy, but if some show is raising much fuzz I might check to see if it's worth it. Like TTGL. It turned out not to be worthy of my attention though...
Feb 22, 2010 12:23 PM
Nov 2008
I tend not to really sway to the most popular stuff, Such as the fact I have never watched Naruto, or Bleach. Although if I do get recommeded a certain anime, I will normally check it out.
Feb 27, 2010 10:37 AM
Jun 2009
there are many good shows that are overshadowed by the most popular ones.
Feb 27, 2010 10:44 AM

Dec 2009
I usually stay away from communities and forms like this, most of the time I just search on my own for what I'd like or not. If I like the art style and it has an interesting enough summary, I'll give it a try.

I don't really care about what's popular, I just want to have fun and enjoy my anime~

-though I do take recs from close friends that know my tastes.

Feb 27, 2010 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
No, I don't really care what's popular or not in general.
Feb 27, 2010 10:56 AM

Nov 2009
breathesunshine said:
I usually stay away from communities and forms like this, most of the time I just search on my own for what I'd like or not. If I like the art style and it has an interesting enough summary, I'll give it a try.

I don't really care about what's popular, I just want to have fun and enjoy my anime~

-though I do take recs from close friends that know my tastes.

Same. I don't care what's popular or not. I tend to shy away from the popular stuff; but I did watch mainstream anime when I was a little kid so I already saw a lot of well known animes like Naruto/Bleach, etc.
Feb 27, 2010 11:23 AM

Feb 2010
I tend to stay away from mainstream animes, as the gems of the anime world are always in the animes that people are not talking about. This tends to be true in most cases considering I live in the USA, and its all mainstream this mainstream that. Anime should be fun, not a chore to keep up with whats popular. Nearly all of my favorite animes(there are a few exceptions) will never see an overseas release with bad voice acting, and for this I'm very happy.
" Oh admonishing melody, arise in the name of the Necromancer. Mystic Cage!"
Feb 27, 2010 12:26 PM

Mar 2007
Most people here do. If they don't they're lying. It's always "don't watch that crap, this one is better" Even those cool kids that think they're watching niche anime but in reality they're watching a show that was reccomended to them.

As for me i watch what the fuck i want. And somehow most people i talk to say that my animeselection sucks. Thins like "80% of your list is crap" or "why the hell do you watch that" come to mind. What i says is fuck em ^_^ I watch anime coz i love anime. good bad or ugly (no gay bishi yaoi BS tho). I'm probably the most forgiving anime viewer, but the way i see it is, if all you watch are the same shit everyone else watches without even watching a few bad ones, you cant appreciate the good ones as well. And who knows, some shows that ppl think are crap you will actualy like. And in reality most of the stuff i like, most ppl hate. So whatever.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Feb 27, 2010 12:31 PM
Jan 2008
Ranivus said:
Most people here do. If they don't they're lying. It's always "don't watch that crap, this one is better" Even those cool kids that think they're watching niche anime but in reality they're watching a show that was reccomended to them.

As for me i watch what the fuck i want. And somehow most people i talk to say that my animeselection sucks. Thins like "80% of your list is crap" or "why the hell do you watch that" come to mind. What i says is fuck em ^_^ I watch anime coz i love anime. .

second that, though I admit generally the more popular it is in general the more i lower my expectations, hype is a great killer of animes. I can imagine people not thinking Summer Wars was amazing because it won so many awards it seems like it must be perfect, its the same with Films, Shows, music etc
I eat your cereal at night and don't even charge
Feb 27, 2010 12:40 PM

Feb 2010
You see alot of people dismissing stuff like naruto, bleach, FMA, elfen lied, evangelion, etc. Cause they think they're "cool" for not liking it. It just makes you an elitist who thinks that because they saw other niche titles that no one else watched makes you awesome. I watch any and all anime. Sure my list right now is comprised of a bunch of popular stuff, but ive got a couple of favorites that arent well known, and its cause i saw them with no knowledge of how popular they were, someone either told me about it or i saw it and it looked interesting. I watch things cause i love anime.
Feb 27, 2010 12:45 PM

Feb 2010
there are 2 considerations i go off of on MAL, the reviews and the popularity. if both are high, of course it will increase the chances of me seeing that.
Feb 27, 2010 1:13 PM
Feb 2010
A little, maybe. But there's still really popular series that I haven't even gave a look at yet. I still haven't even seen Code Geass since I keep meaning to buy it, but I never do.

I already know the ending aswell, so that blows. :/
Feb 27, 2010 3:14 PM
Nov 2009
Interesting! :)

Probably :) I seem to have quite generic taste (favorite anime include One Piece, FMA: B, Fruits Basket, Pokemon), and so tend to sift through the more popular titles when looking for a new anime. But at the same time, I wouldn't overlook an anime just because it was unpopular/lesser-known.

:) ♥
Feb 28, 2010 5:14 AM

Mar 2009
I have watched some popular anime just to see why they're so popular (examples: Code Geass, Naruto) but from my experience, I don't usually like them.
Feb 28, 2010 6:53 AM

Dec 2009
Syb3rStrife said:
I only watch what interest me. I couldn't care less if it's popular or not.

This.
Feb 28, 2010 6:54 AM

Feb 2010
Ranivus said:

What he said.
An anime that's not popular has less reviews and recommendations,since less people have seen it, so it's more difficult to find out if it's worth it or even hear about it in the first place.

Also, it seems that some people have confused popular to mainstream shows. A mainstream show is popular, but the opposite isn't always true. Among the first 100 shows in the most popular list of MAL there are several that are not mainstream (Wolf's Rain, Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Mushishi for example).

On the other hand, if you watch an anime just because everyone else has seen it you are most likely to be disappointed, especially if it would not interest you otherwise.

I personally tend to think that I should see an anime that is quite popular and generally well-received, but only if the plot picks my interest. For example, I won't watch Clannad but I will watch Spice and Wolf.
Feb 28, 2010 9:10 AM

Sep 2009
Here in my country the anime isn't so popular so No- I watch it cause I like it and it's interesting , fun and cool XD :P
Feb 28, 2010 9:23 AM

Oct 2007
I sometimes pick up popular series to see why they're so amazing, and more often than not they're a bit of a let-down. I just watch stuff that looks good to me rather than relying on other's opinions.
Feb 28, 2010 10:20 AM

Oct 2009
I don't really care if it's popular or not. I'll look into it if a series is popular but I may or may not like it.
Feb 28, 2010 10:23 AM

Feb 2010
I keep up with the popular ones just so I can be in on conversations or something, but honestly I think naruto sucks bad, most of the very popular ones are NOT THAT GOOD, I hate people who think they know anime if they've only seen the popular ones.
Feb 28, 2010 10:32 AM

Jul 2008
no, i just watch anime that i will like which is the majority since my taste is very open except i won't watch shounen-ai and yaoi but that isn't a lot lol. do i watch popular anime? yes and it has nothing to do with it being popular its because i like them. so if anything i think people who mainly stick to watching popular ones really miss out on some of the less popular series cause a lot of them i like more then the popular ones. i do take recommendations from friends into account but more times then not i still avoid it for awhile then eventually get to it.
Feb 28, 2010 10:53 AM

May 2009
Most of what I watch is somewhat popular, because otherwise I'd probably never had heard of it. However, I make a point of not watching shows just because they're popular. (Hence why I do not plan to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion any time soon.)
Feb 28, 2010 11:27 AM
Aug 2009
Bathos said:
I have no real plans to ever watch anything Dragonball, Bleach, or Naruto-related, though.
You're missing out with Dragonball. Truly a wonderful series. I was on the no-watch bandwagon too a couple years back but once you start it there's no going back. The little humor pieces in it are just delicious. I liked it so much that I even have it in my favorites list. It doesn't deserve to be thrown in with Naruto and Bleach.

Anyway, if I'm looking for something to watch I usually check out the highest rated shows, browse through a few reviews, and choose from there. There's way too much anime out there to watch as it is, so I might as well watch what's generally regarded as the best (as long as it looks like it'll interest me).
Feb 28, 2010 11:41 AM

Jan 2010
I've often given popular anime a try just to see what the buzz is about, but I always make my own decision of whether I like it or not. Many anime that are popular here on MAL I dropped, and some I can't fathom what people see in them. It's perfectly fine with me that they're popular though--they're just not for me.
Just because something is popular doesn't make an automatic good, or an automatic bad, as banal of a statement as that is.
Feb 28, 2010 6:51 PM

Aug 2009
I usually try to stay away from general public places where anime is a common thing that is exchanged... I don't know, it's just some unwritten rule that I follow, and that is to never really discuss anime, hobbies or interests. I only do so with a close group of friends...

Usually when an anime/manga series gets overhyped and talked about, I tend to stray away from it simply because it would seem strange to suddenly jump into it because everyone else is.

Per say I got into something pre-M.S and everyone suddenly has an appreciation for it, than I get a little bothered because it's the same "OMIGOD, I LOVE THIS ANIME."...and usually I try to share it without the fandom that follows it...

In other words, I don't mind it so much, but I do...it really really depends on the anime series and who is spilling their blood over it..

I wanted to get into Hetalia pre-fandom...but since it's around like cancer, I'll refrain from it for awhile so I can enjoy it at my own pace. I don't have a problem with people liking it... I just don't want to "be into it" because everyone else is.

It's usually because of the ugly image attached to mainstream things that get me a bit sick...
[insert lulz signature here]
Feb 28, 2010 6:58 PM

Feb 2010
If it looks interesting I will watch it... not necessarily just because it's popular, although that is generally how they are discovered, through other people watching it and telling you whether it is good or bad.

"Dreaming and living are pages in the same book."//Kingdom Hospital
Feb 28, 2010 9:22 PM

Feb 2010
Usually, I find out about an Anime through the TV, Through my friends, Through certain medias (AMV hell, Anyone?), and by browsing at the store. Usually, The most popular ones are setup to be the first ones people see.

I watch the more popular ones because for one... They're popular because they're usually really good. Otherwise they wouldn't get such attention from viewers. And for two, They happen to be the ones I'm first to stumble over. Third, Since they're popular, Places like Hulu and Adult Swim are more likely to host episodes on their sites, Making it easier to access on my near invisible budget. T_T

I'm not opposed to unpopular ones, though. For instance, I would kill to see the Kindaichi Case Files Anime, or read a few more chapters. But apparently, because no one seems to know what it is, I can't find it anywhere... So I'm stuck. -.-;

That's pretty much my reasons.
Mar 1, 2010 3:48 AM

Jan 2010
well....for me....when searching anime...
pplz opinion is important... well
when more pplz are watching it..it means that the anime is really good rite
and i can't let this opportunity to pass through...and be left behind...
but sometimes...anime ranking determined it all...
but sometimes i searched for anime that suits for my taste without looking at it ranking at all... well different pplz have different opinion..that what makes this world more beautiful... =)

Mar 1, 2010 4:17 AM

Aug 2009
I like to see what all the fuss is about so I download and keep them stored in my HD but usually, I give priority to the ones I'm interested in (plot/characters/etc)
Mar 1, 2010 12:46 PM

Mar 2009
Yea, If everyone likes it, then it should be good.

For the most part, I decide what I'm going to watch next based on the popularity AND ranking system on MAL. If I find a show I really like, I usually look up the recommendations for said show and watch those next. But I always refer back to the popularity/rankings for general purposes.
Mar 1, 2010 12:53 PM

Mar 2009
If everybody else likes it, then there is something good about so I'll give it a shot. I generally like the popular ones.
Mar 1, 2010 1:33 PM

Mar 2007
you're all pawns :)

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Mar 1, 2010 1:57 PM

Jul 2007
i chose: No, I don't really care what's popular or not in general.

It would be pretty sad just to follow the masses. I rolled into anime by watching some of the more popular shows (naruto, elfen lied). But i chose for myself what to watch all the time.

I wouldn't say i don't watch some popular shows, but that's NOT just because they are popular, but just because i like it myself.

note to all
Anime watching is about watching something you like yourself, not what everyone else likes.
WeebByNightMar 1, 2010 2:01 PM
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

20 by shin0by »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Apr 23

22 by Atashi_Agatha »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

8 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

30 by Kenzolo-folk »»
6 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 29 minutes ago

7 by Spunkert »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.