Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2009 9:22 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't think so many people would have died at once! O.O
Jul 9, 2009 9:41 PM

Sep 2008
mindfuck.

&needsmoarbutterflies.
Jul 9, 2009 9:58 PM

Oct 2007
meh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2009 10:07 PM

Feb 2008
I really liked the twist with the ring at the end. Gave it a nice punch. But they're dying off really fast! six people in one episode including a servant which means no one is safe! How many eps is this series? two more episodes and there will be no one left.
Jul 9, 2009 10:47 PM

Apr 2009
I didnt think they would kill so many so soon.. That was sad about Shannon.. Battler was lame.
Jul 9, 2009 10:56 PM

May 2008
Holy shit.
Jul 9, 2009 11:11 PM

Jun 2007
excellent
never have so many supposed characters die so fast since Soukou no Strain
other characters besides teh main characters
pshaw no need for other characters

poor Big Boobs though T_T.

they are probably going to do time loop too??? or the rest of teh people will take longer to kill

uuuuuu

Maria is busy watching higurashi dont bother her uuu
or you will die uuuu
Jul 9, 2009 11:30 PM

Jan 2008
wow pretty awesome episode *___* when I read the Manga it was kinda boring so I didn't continue it, but the Anime is so interesting :D
and Maria is really annoying >.<
Jul 9, 2009 11:44 PM

Dec 2007
i'm sorry, but i think i cried TEARS OF AWESOME

man I love 07th expansion
Jul 10, 2009 12:27 AM

Oct 2007
Awesome!!!

Being a huge fan of Higurashi, this show was obviously a much watch for me, and it has not disappointed.

This episode was crazy, so much brutal murder already!!!
Jul 10, 2009 12:29 AM
Mar 2008
seishi-sama said:
It has the same mess of a series composition as Higurashi. First, "question arcs", then "answer arcs", etc. So, basically, Beatrice could exist in one of the arcs, and couldn't in another...and they could add new arcs no matter what happened in the previous ones. It's an infinite milking cow.

Umineko =/= Higurashi.

Assuming Studio DEEN doesn't royally drop the ball (and consequently ruin the premise of the show), you will know the difference between Umineko and Higurashi. After episode one, I'm not sure they won't mess things up. The results -- or at least the bodycount -- of the First Twilight isn't supposed to be a surprise. The entire epitaph is read out in the novel. .... but this is an adaptation so whatever.

About Beatrice,
Figure that one out.
Jul 10, 2009 1:40 AM

Jul 2009
I must say this episode is awesome and Maria watching Higurashi! haha loved it!

Make me a Siggy?
Jul 10, 2009 2:17 AM

Nov 2008
Finally home... and now my pictures that show the Higurashi plugging! :/

Where have we seen this swan before?

Starry Eyes, Purple Hair... Hmmm

Light purple hair with a red stripped tie...

Now... personally... I wouldn't let a girl of a prepubesent age watch Higurashi... but go figure~

Jul 10, 2009 2:21 AM

Sep 2007
Why the interesting characters are dead? =( Kyrie, Rose and Shannon. I would prefer in that space the death of Kanon (Kill him now, he's annoying in novel and anime), Eva & Hideyoshi ( Seriously Eva is just like Takano from Higurashi, i close my eyes and is Takano, and for me that is a bad seiyuu, if she voice Lambdadelta with the same voice I'll hate it ¬¬ and Hideyoshi is completely different from the first part of the game. I like it both when i play the first part of game but not in the first part of the anime =/ )

But I like this chapter, the pacing is very good and with the deaths this will be more interesting =) Waiting the next!

I like Shannon for the same reason i dont like Eva. Thx God i didnt close my eyes when Shannon spoke to hear Taiga's or Shana's voice. Kudos to Rie for that. The seiyuu is very important in the character development =)

Kouta~
Jul 10, 2009 2:30 AM

Aug 2008
What an ending....wow!
Jul 10, 2009 3:46 AM

May 2008
It was good but i'm a bit disappointed they killed off half the cast in one fell swoop.
Jul 10, 2009 4:22 AM

Nov 2007
Now this is more like it. While it's still pretty fast-paced, the important parts are covered, plus the music is great.

I hope this keeps up.
Jul 10, 2009 6:17 AM

Sep 2008
Sweeeet. I'm getting that Higurashi feel that I really like. 5/5
Jul 10, 2009 6:27 AM
Jan 2009
Kouta said:
Why the interesting characters are dead? =( Kyrie, Rose and Shannon. I would prefer in that space the death of Kanon (Kill him now, he's annoying in novel and anime), Eva & Hideyoshi ( Seriously Eva is just like Takano from Higurashi, i close my eyes and is Takano, and for me that is a bad seiyuu, if she voice Lambdadelta with the same voice I'll hate it ¬¬ and Hideyoshi is completely different from the first part of the game. I like it both when i play the first part of game but not in the first part of the anime =/ )

But I like this chapter, the pacing is very good and with the deaths this will be more interesting =) Waiting the next!

I like Shannon for the same reason i dont like Eva. Thx God i didnt close my eyes when Shannon spoke to hear Taiga's or Shana's voice. Kudos to Rie for that. The seiyuu is very important in the character development =)

Kouta~

I hope you misstyped that one, dude. Would ruin a nice surprise if this was a spoiler.

edit: GAWD, no, it's a trap >____>
ByouJul 10, 2009 6:34 AM
Jul 10, 2009 6:49 AM

Jun 2009
It was better than the first one, and it really suprised me that that much persons died allredy.
Jul 10, 2009 8:09 AM

Aug 2007
This is why I like Umineko better than Higurashi. At least for now. Maria has the same seiyu as Hanyuu from Higurashi. Coincidence? I have to agree that not all seiyu did a decent job.... but the BM was nice.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 10, 2009 8:11 AM

Sep 2008
what...? so this maid Kanon...is not a girl? o_______O are you sure? D:

anyway ending was mindfucking, i didnt expect to see half of the cast dead already. and lol when i was watching the first episodes opening i thought Rosa will be kind of important and shes dead XD her and Shanon i will miss
Jul 10, 2009 9:26 AM
Jan 2009
^ Well, that's what MAL says. Yet I was wondering why he didn't wear a dress like Shannon did. Makes things rather obvious. Meh.

BGM at the end was awsm even though they cut away the creepy start of Rahu Goldenslaughterer. I'm glad that there are at least a few good shows this season.
Jul 10, 2009 9:29 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Neilikki said:

anyway ending was mindfucking, i didnt expect to see half of the cast dead already. and lol when i was watching the first episodes opening i thought Rosa will be kind of important and shes dead XD her and Shanon i will miss

Hmm? I thought he's a boy? no? Is he Shannon's twin? If so, I wouldn't be surprised they swap like Shion/Mion....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 10, 2009 9:40 AM

Nov 2008
I played the sound novel and knew what was going to happen... but I still cried at shannon dying (yes, i'm an emotional person XD )

the when they cry series just does that to me

Hidden Moonlight

隠された月光
Jul 10, 2009 10:27 AM

Oct 2007
Is it me or did Battler's expression seem like he was faking it when he saw the bodies? x_x
Jul 10, 2009 10:51 AM

Jul 2008
lol! was that Hanyuu on the tv that Maria was watching? xD
Jul 10, 2009 11:30 AM

Aug 2007
Seriously? I'm the only one who thinks Rosa deserved it?
Jul 10, 2009 11:40 AM
Jul 2009
I find it funny This isn't the first the first time Japanease people use Hebrew letters and words for their magic incantations...
Jul 10, 2009 12:38 PM

Apr 2009
The padlock was too funny. And this family is oblivious to Maria clearly being possessed while reading that letter.
Jul 10, 2009 2:07 PM

Jun 2008
Going into this anime blindly, I am really pleased with it so far. This ep was awesome in my opinion. I mean the ending was awesome I knew that there would be death but not to that magnitude.. I agree with a user above about Jessica's scream it was really good, Battler could have been a bit better, Maria is as strange as ever(I think she holds the key). George was really cute :) so sad at the end :(

I hate how they don't give any preview for next ep... but that could spoil some of it so I guess it's good they don't >.< Can't wait for next episode
- Noblesse Oblige -

And I'm saying a prayer for the desperate heart's tonight

Jul 10, 2009 2:13 PM

Jul 2008
wakka9ca said:
Neilikki said:

Hmm? I thought he's a boy? no? Is he Shannon's twin? If so, I wouldn't be surprised they swap like Shion/Mion....

No, Shannon and Kanon are not related by blood, all the maids' / butlers' names end with 'on' if I remember correctly.
And Kanon is a boy, I don't see anything girly 'bout him :------------DDD

Jul 10, 2009 2:30 PM
Dec 2008
Sonja said:
wakka9ca said:
Neilikki said:

No, Shannon and Kanon are not related by blood, all the maids' / butlers' names end with 'on' if I remember correctly.
And Kanon is a boy, I don't see anything girly 'bout him :------------DDD

it's all the maids/butlers who

that's why genji, kumasawa, and gohda don't have "on" at the end of their name.
Jul 10, 2009 2:37 PM

Nov 2007
Quite nice. I was expecting a couple of people to die already but not six. Good job of building up the suspence, at least for those of us who haven't played the visual novel already.
Shameful confession: me and my siblings made a 4x4 square with the names of the characters and we're playing death bingo - first player to line up four dead characters wins. It's terribly addicting.

About the next people to die... It's not technically a spoiler since it's just the epitaph and I suppose it wasn't read fully because they cut stuff. However I'll put it behind a cut just in case.
About the "second twilight" it says:
Jul 10, 2009 3:17 PM

Nov 2007
SilentXenocide said:
AikoD said:

About the "second twilight" it says:

Btw the above is just speculation about the epitaph, not real spoilers.
Jul 10, 2009 3:22 PM

May 2009
wakka9ca said:
Neilikki said:

Mion, Shion, Kanon, Shannon. Ahaha, that made my day. Kanon honestly looks like the quiet type that's crazed deep down under with a tragic past. Or maybe it's just the hat that reminds me of Rena's behavior from Higurashi, I'm not for sure. ^^;;

Jul 10, 2009 4:23 PM

May 2008
Much better than I expected.

Same drill with letting stuff out, and I was pretty disappointed at the lack of Hope (the George Shannon scene was otherwise really beautiful). Though, got mixed feelings all over the last scene: Hearing rahu_goldenslaughter made me really happy and the characters did act well, but the scene itself was too short.

And this is something that makes me incredibly sad: They're using much time and energy to make something wonderful, yet they sink their own work from perfection by doing small blunders. Small blunders that hurt the anime a lot.

There are still lots of awesome scenes to adapt, so I'll still give DEEN their chances. They're really close, but could close in so much more!
Jul 10, 2009 4:30 PM

Dec 2007
logboy said:
I find it funny This isn't the first the first time Japanease people use Hebrew letters and words for their magic incantations...

I believe it's actually supposed to be Aramaic (same letters and form, different grammar and pronounciations), which has a bit more history, particularly mystical, than Hebrew. It is in fact often considered a primary language for spells an incantations due to its use in biblical and pre-biblical writings, so its use should come as no real surprise.

And it's not just anime. In fact, you find it in plenty of other interesting places too. For example, if you go back to watch the (live action) Return of the King, you can see Aramaic lettering on the One Ring as it's getting destroyed.
Jul 10, 2009 4:54 PM

Aug 2008
I dislike Shannon, but it's sad that she had to die that way. And poor George, never getting to marry his true love. >_>
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2009 5:10 PM
Jul 2009
Hi all. Let me join you discuss this ongoing series.

I have never imagined that so many foreigners love this Anime,
and that even some have played the original VN translated!
And I'm also astonished that some here can read Hebrew letters on the bloody magic circle.

Even if I know what's gonna happen in the next ep,
I'm really looking forward eagerly for it as you do.
Yes, I won't leak any spoiler. I know it really spoils this Umineko and Higurashi Animes.
Jul 10, 2009 5:45 PM

Jan 2009
Ugh. Seeing Shannon with the ring at the end was too heartbreaking. Poor dear. And I feel so bad for George. Why couldn't it have been Kanon? D:
Jul 10, 2009 6:52 PM

Oct 2007
That ED is very Coheed & Cambria
Jul 10, 2009 8:55 PM

May 2008
dam poor George indeed, seeing his future wife dead

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 10, 2009 9:17 PM

Sep 2007
meh, it was okay. This show is overrated already O.o

The characters seem so unnatural and one-dimensional; the only driving factor for this anime seems to be distorted faces and gore.

Nothing intellectual here, so far.
Jul 10, 2009 9:32 PM

Apr 2008
This series is giving me the goosebumps xD great episode !!

Jul 10, 2009 10:33 PM

Oct 2007
Chronolizer said:
meh, it was okay. This show is overrated already O.o

Ditto. This anime feels just so bland in pretty much every aspect.

Jul 11, 2009 12:51 AM

Dec 2008
pretty messed up with what happened to them...though i guess that is what i was expecting going into this show anyways.
Jul 11, 2009 2:33 AM

Feb 2008
Excellent episode))
but to kill six people in a series ..... as unexpectedly)
Jul 11, 2009 4:00 AM

Jun 2009
Wow, 6 characters already died and only two thirds remain, too many deaths for one episode since I thought it was going to be more like one or two deaths at a time but meh. We got to know more about the "game" Beatrice is playing and the "rules", so it wasn't a bad episode but not great either.
Jul 11, 2009 8:25 AM

Jun 2009
I just... Can't love Maria. She's so Annoying, her voice makes me irritated =_='
Depite of that, Kanon is really something, I hope he can grow bigger inside the Plot.
Battler-kun is just a pervert >3> And Shannon-chan was so cute >__< poor George...

And... wow, 6 dead already ._.'
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.