Forum Settings
Forums

Do you let MAL's ratings influence what you watch?

New
I watch anime based on how the MAL community has rated it.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Mar 3, 2010 7:28 PM

Dec 2009
i let them influence my choice on wat to watch next.
Mar 3, 2010 7:38 PM
Dec 2009
No
Mar 3, 2010 7:44 PM

Aug 2009
woah.. all the first page posters are so negative.. damn, it's just a question....

anyways, I don't let ratings get in the way with what I watch. If it interests me, then I'd look into it. Ratings are only used for "analyzing" the anime and it's replay value and all that other good stuff.

Personally, I think it's fun to see ratings. Data really tells you a bunch of things. (good and bad)
[insert lulz signature here]
Mar 3, 2010 10:09 PM

Feb 2008
Sometimes. If a series is ranked fairly high, I'll take a look at its summary and decide if I want to give it a chance or not. If I don't find the plot interesting I usually don't watch it.
Mar 3, 2010 10:44 PM

Oct 2009
I don't really pay attention to the ratings....

The only thing I look at is the scores on reviews.
Mar 3, 2010 11:27 PM

Nov 2009
If something's rated at the ends of the bell curve (good or bad) I'll look at them. Most of the time its pretty obvious when a show is way overrated; or that its underrated/B caliber type of enjoyment if it's exceptionally bad.
Mar 3, 2010 11:53 PM
Jun 2007
i don't trust the opinions of people i don't know, so I'll judge something for myself. I'm not saying people have bad taste, even though i see a lot do, but no one is like me so i'll just give everything a shot and find out.
Mar 4, 2010 12:21 AM

Jul 2009
Yesish...
But I just watch the things that my friends have. So I don't really care.
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 4, 2010 12:35 AM

Oct 2009
Well heres my take, I can't believe that some people would just outright say "NO" It's human nature to slightly judge something based on its score. I mean, would you seriously check out Mars of Destruction despite its very low score??? And very much believe that "Oh I actually may enjoy this myself even though it's scored so low!"?? (Well the low score alone is a reason to see why its considered so bad...) Now I'm not saying theres anything wrong saying no, but don't pretend that you didn't ask yourself "Why does this anime have this score?" Because it's only natural to become slightlty skeptical if an anime is rated around the 4's, 5's, and 6's (Hell, even 7's. and 8's because you might not see the appeal in the series that others have). And yeah I do make a prediction as to if I would enjoy a series or not based on the score and I'll admit it, but if the concept, art style, and story is interesting enough I'll check it out (I love The Sacred Blacksmith despite it's low score) and usually the anime I'm interested in, rarely has a low score anyway. Also most of time the scores for the anime are just about right (Save for Elfen Lied, Rorouni Kenshin, and One Piece in my opinion, are just too high). However I would say this, don't fall for the hype so easily. Just enter the series with skepticism, if you do A) You won't hate it as much if you didn't like it and B) If you did like it you'll love it or C) you can just "hate" it or "like" it. So it's OK if you make a decision to watch a series based on the score, just enter the series with a level head. [EDIT: Replace "score" with "ratings" or "rate" :) Sorry for the long post BTW!:)]
KrazyKobunMar 4, 2010 12:39 AM
Mar 4, 2010 12:47 AM

Apr 2009
i used the rankings as a guide
Mar 4, 2010 12:51 AM

May 2009
nah, because most of the time, i dont even bother to look at the scores.
if i did, i would have missed out on some good stuff, im sure.

and wtf is up with everyone being rude to the original poster?
there are people out there who pay attention to that, its not a stupid question at all.

jeez
Mar 4, 2010 1:56 AM

Dec 2008
Yes quite a bit. Recently I started watching all "top" anime. I want to have seen/checked all the 60 best rated anime.

Other tricks is use are reviews and recommendations.
Existence, well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future
The present is well out of hand
Mar 4, 2010 2:04 AM

Jul 2009
Reviews are sometimes misleading because its based on people's opinions not yours.
Not all top anime are good...
あらあら。。。^^
Mar 4, 2010 2:06 AM

Oct 2009
yeah they do, within reason. reviews of the anime tend to influence what i decide to watch more than its ranking and score though
Mar 4, 2010 2:22 AM

Dec 2008
guu_ said:
Reviews are sometimes misleading because its based on people's opinions not yours.
Not all top anime are good...

True, and reviewers tend to review what they either really like, or really dislike. But still, it gives some info and I can work with that.

Indeed, not all top anime good. For example, I dislike Lucky Star. But I DID try it though. And I like knowing the most popular anime. If I personally dislike something, I'll drop it anyway.
Existence, well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future
Mar 4, 2010 2:23 AM

Nov 2008
TeenChibi said:
I mean, would you seriously check out Mars of Destruction despite its very low score??? And very much believe that "Oh I actually may enjoy this myself even though it's scored so low!"??
I enjoyed Mars of Destruction. As did many others. But I understand where you're coming from. Being influenced by others is a part of human nature. I won't completely ignore those around me for the sake of individuality, and thus waste my time searching for anime solely based on how they look. The scores help narrow my options down to those that might actually interest me, not just impress me superficially. This doesn't mean I'll watch every popular series, though.

Mar 4, 2010 2:28 AM

Dec 2009
I've never gone along with an opinion if it is negative, I'll be the judge if something is bad or not. However if someone says it's good then I'll take it into account.

Mar 4, 2010 3:01 AM

Nov 2009
I do to a certain degree but it has to be something that I'm already considering watching.

I just use the scores to see what I should expect from it but I didnt for quite a long time.

I just finished watching Jogoku Shoujo after seeing its score here and it was worth it. I dont see why people would get flamed for seeing what others think before potentially wasting their time on a crap anime. Did that with stuff like Bottle Fairy, damn that was bad lol.
Mar 7, 2010 9:03 AM

Aug 2009
No! Actually I don't even pay attention to the rating at all.
My tastes are my own, therefore I shouldn't try and compare to someone elses.
Mar 7, 2010 9:48 AM
Sep 2009
I'd say so, but if the synopsis seems interesting enough, I'll watch it.
Mar 7, 2010 1:10 PM

Feb 2010
yes because i have no idea what it is about and if it is good but from time to time, i judge the anime by the art, if it is good, then i will watch without MAL or asking people
Mar 7, 2010 1:14 PM

Jul 2008
hell no, i don't believe any of the ratings on sites and usually i'm right to think that way since normally i never agree what a series is so i just watch what i find interesting and try it for a few eps first before i fully decide to continue unless it sucked me quickly then even one episode could be enough.
Mar 7, 2010 1:15 PM

Mar 2010
I don't pay to attention to MAL's ratings.
It's all about my taste in anime.
Mar 7, 2010 1:24 PM

Jan 2010
I'm influenced by the ratings. When I wanna watch a genre at the moment, I always go to the top of the order ranks and find the genre I want.
Score Criteria:
Mar 7, 2010 2:27 PM

Jul 2008
If it's an anime that had maybe like 200- people watching it, then yeah probably. Fewer people would mean the average is more exactIf an anime has like 3,000 people on MAL, there's going to be people that rated it 10s and 1s. Especially if it's airing in Japan. If it's an anime like The Enemy's the Pirates and it's rated a 5 or 6, chances are it's bad. If something like TTGL or LotGH, I'm not going to believe the ratings.
Mar 7, 2010 3:50 PM

Jan 2010
I like to judge by myself, but I can't very well watch every anime I stumble upon, so I just read the summary, the reviews and occasionally the first episode to decide whether to watch it.
Mar 7, 2010 4:48 PM

Feb 2010
I do check the reviews and the recommendations (sometimes), but the ratings? Not so much. Most people don't tend to use the full scale form 1 to 10 when rating after all.
Mar 7, 2010 4:52 PM
Sep 2009
The only anime I watched because of it's score on MAL was TTGL...I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it is way too highly ranked on this site
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Mar 7, 2010 4:57 PM
Nov 2008
I just watch the anime that has my interest at the moment and then rated it on how much I enjoyed it.
Mar 7, 2010 7:40 PM

Jun 2008
Most of the highly rated animes don't deserve it, (TTGL, Naruto, One Piece, LOGH, ect.), while many animes such as Mobile Suit Gundam have a rating that they don't deserve. Last time I checked, Mobile Suit Gundam was at like a 7.19. What the fuck is with that? One of the most influential animes of all time, and it's not even in the top 100.
I'm back.
Mar 8, 2010 12:24 AM

Aug 2009
^Then just be thankful because now chances are slim that MS gundam will be called one of the overrated. :P
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Mar 8, 2010 1:55 AM

Aug 2008
I think it does affect me to some extent because when I watch a show of high ranking I tend to expect good things from it especially when it has a good group of VA.
Mar 9, 2010 6:38 PM
Jun 2007
scores on this site in particular are very skewed. i think it's because a large portion of the community is under 20 and just rates stuff highly. people just need to use the scale better and not give everything a 10. it's hard to take a rating seriously when the highest rating animes are un-original shounen/love comedies.

i totally agree with sick_bastard about mobile suit gundam: that anime deserves more praise than most of the top rated stuff on here

And like lollypatrolly said about TTGL, i also agree. It was something I would've liked when i was younger and because so many young people are on this site it's going to get a high rating. But since I'm older and seen more anime, I can look at TTGL beside other anime and see that it's not as good as other say it is.

Ratings can be helpful but just try things for yourself and see if it's for you.
Mar 9, 2010 7:01 PM

Dec 2008
Kind of. While I take in consideration the given scores for the series I watch, I don't give up on watching something I was planning because of low scores, neither I watch something that is obviously not fitting in my interests because of high scores.
Mar 9, 2010 7:13 PM

Mar 2010
never, you can't trust someone elses rating, i've dropped stacks of animes that people consider 'good'.
Mar 9, 2010 7:19 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
A lot of times i'll ad a show thats highly rated to my plan to watch list.... Then i'll forget all about it and it'll just sit there...
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Mar 9, 2010 7:20 PM

Jan 2010
I watch everything I think looks decent, but I watch them in order based on rating. I somewhat trust the general opinion of MAL users.
Mar 14, 2010 9:06 PM

Mar 2010
No, i wanna rate it myself.
Mar 14, 2010 9:38 PM

Jan 2010
When I'm looking for a new series, yes, I'll look on MAL's top anime. However, I don't particularly just judge off people's ratings. I mean, if I'm not in the mood for a romantic, silly anime I'm not gonna watch it just because it has a high rating.

Mostly, though, I follow a lot of the recommendations posted by other people. Someone recommended S-Cry-Ed to me through Gurren Lagann...no, never. How could anyone put SCRYED on the same level as my beloved Gurren!? =P
Mar 14, 2010 9:41 PM

Apr 2009
We all have our own taste when it comes to anime..well I'm starting to watch all the popular anime out there in the list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2010 11:03 PM

Oct 2008
No. I watch anime which I'm sure I'm gonna like and most of the times I do like them a lot
Mar 15, 2010 1:10 AM
Jul 2018
I do read reviews before choosing to watch an anime or not.
But if I like the idea of an anime but it has a butt load of negative reviews I'd probably still watch it.

So I guess not
Mar 15, 2010 2:20 AM
Feb 2010
I do use MAL ratings as a tool for discovering anime I have never heard about... If it weren't for mal, I would not have anyway of researching what show to watch next, I would have to wait for someone to show me episodes of something, randomly buy DVD's, or pay for cable. That being said, I watched Moetan because of the internet flash vid "big breasts cause global warming" and I watched Rozen Maiden because of the internet rule: it always needs more desu.
Mar 15, 2010 2:36 PM
Oct 2009
Nope though I always wiki the anime and look up cast members.
Mar 15, 2010 2:45 PM
Jun 2008

Why would I ever let the combined opinion of shounenfags and yaoi fangirls influence what I watch?
Mar 15, 2010 3:07 PM

Jun 2007
^ I agree with the above.

Also, why would any man let a woman/girl influence his anime viewing, anyway? It's silly. Since both genders rate on MAL, and most females around these parts are deranged yaoi fangirls (check the yaoi manga review scores) or are Swedish, no-one with sense would let MAL ratings tell them what to watch.

No.

No.

...NO.
Mar 15, 2010 3:45 PM

Mar 2009
Ryuki-kun said:
nope cause i know what kind of anime i like,even if know one else likes it
Mar 15, 2010 6:28 PM

May 2009
It's a very small percentage of influence.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Mar 15, 2010 7:36 PM
Jul 2009
If it's below 7 i usually avoid it, but there are lot's of great anime stuck in the 7-8 rating in MAL
Mar 16, 2010 2:49 AM
Apr 2008

no i do not... i have seen a few anime that arent even listed on mal....

i have found that many of the so called "popular anime" are ONLY popular cuz they are mainstream on tv... and many ppl on mal are non asain and their exposer to anime is tv only......

obviously any anime on mainstream tv in a good time slot will rake in huge ratings and be popular simply cuz its watched alot whether is sucks or not....... lol

i absolutely love many anime that on here are at the very end or the ratings list..... many of them being anime that were never released outside japan..... and that reason alone makes them rate as horrible on this site simply cuz most of the ppl on this site have never watched it.....

and so on.....
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

16 by MeguSae38 »»
1 minute ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

47 by MeguSae38 »»
3 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by animeboilolz »»
30 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

91 by Zarutaku »»
44 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

48 by Styx_Thistle »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.