Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2009 9:20 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm loving this already. Though I am also a little disappointed they didn't show the wife's reaction to his death (even though it would be predictable) and the stills were somewhat annoying, but I guess that's something I just have to get used to.
MonochromeJul 4, 2009 9:25 PM
Sep 15, 2009 1:46 PM

Nov 2008
It's a good anime series. Anyone who loves medical mysteries will love Black Jack. It's such a pity that the animation and voice acting don't match how interesting the stories can get. However, it can be said for many classic anime series.

7/10 (-3 for poor voice acting and animation even for its time)
Aug 23, 2011 10:01 PM

Dec 2009
Black Jack is an awesome character. There wasn't much going on on the medical stuff in this episode, but I really love Black Jack's character.

Will keep watching.
Dec 11, 2013 2:39 AM

Jul 2008
Well this was interesting. So super skilled doctor that isn't licensed. I'm sure there is a good backstory on that. I liked all of the characters in this so far. I'm not sure if I liked or did not like the fact that Black Jack did not find a cure for this and the patient did die.

Not the typical ending for these sorts of things, and that makes it interesting.

So a solid 7/10 to start.
Mar 21, 2014 11:47 PM

Jun 2010
Just as hokey, goofy, and overly straightforward as an episode of the later TV series (and indeed could have been told in half the running time), but this is obscured by plot-threads that go nowhere, slow pacing, and an ominous atmosphere. The latter two elements do a good job of slowing creating some tension, but it doesn't amount to anything.
Mar 25, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 2011
Quite an interesting anime. But I expected nothing less from Tezuka's creation. That gloomy character of Black Jack is just perfect for the series, not to mention the anime combines the medical case with the mystery aspect.
Sep 28, 2014 1:02 AM

Nov 2008
Way more intense than the TV series. I liked it.
May 8, 2016 4:08 PM

Mar 2012
That was pretty great and darker than the TV series. I guess that's why Young Black Jack is listed as the prequel for this rather than the TV series due to how light hearted it was most of the time. Only thing that bugged me is that we didn't actually get to see what happened to the wife and lover. I'm assuming the guy must've died since they made it seem like he sacrificed himself to protect her from the mob.
Apr 2, 2018 1:05 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
THAT WAS SAD AND AMAZING !!! ALREADY LOVE BLACK JACK !!!!!
張大です for 張大勇督察
May 1, 2018 12:25 PM

Dec 2015
Pretty good first case, not totally explained. Enough to see how good Black Jack without making a super medicine man out of him. And the multiple sources of interest helped to keep you in.
The length was quite something, a slightly shorter OAV could have had as much suspense.

Pretty redesign and drawings, you could still see the tezuka origins in some characters (while some others look like aliens compared to them, like the spouse or the local doctor who looked like an adult Hiromi from Ace wo nerae).
The over reliance on painted stills rapidly killed the dramatic effect they're supposed to have (like when the director used them in his TV shows), and didn't even prevent the many "normal" still images of this OAV. Looks like they should have chosen a shorter duration in order to animate a bit more.

4/5 The suffering of the patient was very well rendered.
Rei_IIIMay 1, 2018 1:02 PM
Nov 1, 2018 1:35 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice first Ova!!! The dark atmosphere around Black Jack was the point most important of this anime... his dark past, the girl for 18 years that travelled with him, a doctor without the license, a doctor that works only for money.... the mystery!!!!
Feb 22, 2019 3:34 AM

Feb 2016
Off to a good start. Another Tezuka work of art perhaps.

Expected the patient to be saved by the MC, which didn't happen. They didn't do a cop-out (similar to our real world affliction of Aids), the cure is still out of reach but progress has been made which was the little positivity injected in the otherwise bleak episode.

The ex-lover looked like he was built up as this rather one-dimensional character, only there to create a foil to the doctor and patient and as a tool to provide conflict to the episode. Only to actually come back and surprise the audience, perhaps even dying, demonstrating that he actually did love Sayuri and was not using her for cheap thrills, her inheritance and potential to further himself in the company.

Similarly, I had this version in my head that the patient only saw Sayuri as a trophy wife, and perhaps he did have doubts initially that she was just using her for his money. But again, my assumptions were proven wrong as he not only allowed the affair to take place out of a feeling of inadequacy towards her but showed that he truly did love and cherish her as a partner.

It's these slight flashes of positivity that give nuance and balance to a show.
Cloud_IllusionsFeb 22, 2019 3:40 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 3, 2019 7:04 AM

Oct 2012
In the end what is that disease?
Most importantly can you cure it?
Give me the satisfaction, the closure of the disease :(

I guess mysteries are the main thing in this anime
"Signature removed"
Mar 26, 2021 7:20 AM

Jan 2017
Great plot and the mystery involved quite immersive. 8/10
Apr 24, 2022 3:05 PM

Nov 2016
Tezuka, Dezaki and Ootsuka in a mystery-thriller about the doctor Black Jack who's solving the mysteries behind bizarre and obscure diseases. This is right up my alley. Striking style and eerie atmosphere as expected, makes up for the lack of substance and simplicity.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 15, 2022 8:25 AM
Nov 2013
Pretty spooky sickness.
Dec 13, 2022 7:02 PM
May 2022
A good start to a anime. Exicted on what happends next!
Oct 21, 2023 8:45 PM
Oct 2023
Pretty dark episode (I am a big fan of the manga), a bit long maybe but interesting. I am hoping the rest of the series is better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 9 Discussion

YRFdez - May 14, 2011

11 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 10, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion

YRFdez - Feb 28, 2011

16 by Ionliosite2 »»
Dec 6, 2023 9:37 AM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 7 Discussion

Dalinh - Apr 8, 2010

14 by TRC_Randy »»
Dec 1, 2023 6:31 PM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 6 Discussion

anime_daisuki - Jun 29, 2010

12 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:44 AM

Poll: » Black Jack Episode 12 Discussion

Monochrome - Mar 7, 2012

12 by kAt960 »»
Nov 18, 2023 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.