Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 16, 2016 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
I find it interesting that Eric claims to be a man of science and that he doesn't believe in God, yet at the same time he views modifying the human body as a sin. I don't think he's as sure about his beliefs as he claims.

It's not surprising that men would try to spread false religions if a power like this was common. That so-called priest is full of crap.

I feel like it's too early to be showing us exceptional feats such as the circle-less transmutation. (What did Eric sacrifice for the spear, anyway?) They need to make more clear what typically is and isn't possible before showing us exceptions to the rules. I feel similarly about the Philosopher Stone.

We were thrown into this rather abruptly too. Why is Eric here in the first place, and if the reason is the Philosopher's Stone, what does he need it for? Conflict doesn't have much meaning without goals (even though I wouldn't object to a fraud being exposed). We need context; they can show us the flashy battles later.

Overall I suppose it was a decent start, but I hope the initial missteps are cleared up soon.
Jan 16, 2016 10:15 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
I find it interesting that Eric claims to be a man of science and that he doesn't believe in God, yet at the same time he views modifying the human body as a sin. I don't think he's as sure about his beliefs as he claims.

It's not surprising that men would try to spread false religions if a power like this was common. That so-called priest is full of crap.

I feel like it's too early to be showing us exceptional feats such as the circle-less transmutation. (What did Eric sacrifice for the spear, anyway?) They need to make more clear what typically is and isn't possible before showing us exceptions to the rules. I feel similarly about the Philosopher Stone.

We were thrown into this rather abruptly too. Why is Eric here in the first place, and if the reason is the Philosopher's Stone, what does he need it for? Conflict doesn't have much meaning without goals (even though I wouldn't object to a fraud being exposed). We need context; they can show us the flashy battles later.

Overall I suppose it was a decent start, but I hope the initial missteps are cleared up soon.

As a guy who's finished it, most of your stuff is explained relatively quickly.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 25, 2016 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
Pretty first good episode.

My expectations for this aren't as high as for Brotherhood but expect this'll be good in it's own right.
Jan 26, 2016 11:53 PM

Dec 2013
Really really first good episode. Brotherhood really did rush things.

That final scene had me fanboying. Glad I finally started watching this.
Apr 30, 2016 8:12 AM

Jul 2013
I started watching this again to see whether i was too harsh on it the last time but i'm just one episode into this and it's already breaking it's own rules. Pulling iron out of the sand is realistic i guess but where the fuck did Ed pull the wood for the rest of the spear. Make's no fucking sense and could have been easily avoided by just having the whole spear be iron.

But no. You could say that's it just minor detail but like i said it breaks the whole system.
Sep 16, 2016 3:10 AM

Mar 2015
Since I've decided to watch Dub for this series, I'm trying to push through this anime again. I quit before. I can't stand Aaron Dismuke, but I'll give it a go. I was going to go ahead and start Brotherhood instead, but I have an itch for older anime that were mainly cel-animation and not digital. Plus it's the original.

FUCK English Alphonse.
Wicked_EdwardSep 16, 2016 6:29 AM
Nov 23, 2016 10:22 PM
Nov 2016
A really great start. Let's see if this meets my expectations!
Dec 13, 2016 8:53 AM

Nov 2016
I really like Eds Japanese voice and I'm mainly watching it in Japanese as I love Rei Kugimiya.

I was recommended watching this and then FMAB as I was told I might not want to watch this one if I watched FMAB first.
Jan 27, 2017 7:00 AM

Oct 2014
Good to be watching an old school classic !
May 12, 2017 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
Dang, effed up first episode, AL being completely disintegrated and Edward losing his arm and leg while trying to revive their dead mother (which didn't really work out, poor mother)

Interesting first episode though, I wonder how Elric got AL back or at least his soul (that he put in an armour suit) it would seem.
Philosophers stone seems really strong in the right hands, or hand in Elric's case.

PrOxAntoMay 12, 2017 4:15 PM
Sep 16, 2017 11:24 AM

Jul 2016
Playing the Opening at the end of the first episode is pretty weird, but I appreciate it nonetheless.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 4, 2018 11:14 PM

Sep 2013
I'm finally getting around to watching this anime. I always tend to put off viewing series longer than 13 episodes. Good kickoff to this anime though. Looks like it might be worth the wait.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 13, 2018 10:06 AM

May 2016
Great first episode, have a feeling I'm going to like this series.

It shows the consequences and laws of the wolrd on Fullmetal Alchemist rigth off the bat!

100/100 score
Dec 23, 2018 7:13 PM

Aug 2007
It’s been about ten years since I watched this.
I never managed watch Brotherhood, so I thought rewatching this and treating myself to the “better version” is the way to go.
I have a lot of good memories with the original!

Jun 19, 2019 7:55 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode! Might say I liked it more than it's brotherhood counterpart. This seems more serious and the comedy hits better when it does.

The only complaint I have is why place the opening at the end? Maybe it's the file I downloaded.
Jun 19, 2019 8:34 AM

Jul 2016
swiftestcat said:
Optigisa said:
The only complaint I have is why place the opening at the end? Maybe it's the file I downloaded.
It's not the file you downloaded, it's like that on Netflix too. It's probably because there was no opening at the beginning of that episode so they put it at the end as a sort of opening for the next episode.

Oh hello there. Yeah, I watched the second episode just now, and I noticed that they placed the opening at the beginning this time. Thanks for the clarification though!
Aug 22, 2019 11:15 AM
Apr 2019
Great good episode so far, going to start watching this and FM:BH after I finish everything of the original.

But damn, those brothers, rip to both of them.

especially AL, like his whole body just "poofed" ... would love a flash back one day explaining how his brother got him into his suit.

But that's a good rule "don't bring back the dead"
Oct 21, 2019 4:08 PM

Nov 2017
Probably should've started this re-watch earlier this month, but eff it. My first introduction to this anime was on Adult Swim where I vaguely remember Ed running frantically toward the fountain lol. I changed the channel 'cause at the time (I was in middle school) I hated anime and I was like, "This is anime, I ain't watching that!".

This is a really good first episode. It introduces the main concepts the audience needs to know and main characters. Gosh, it's gonna be a tad hard to keep it to 1 episode a day (especially for Brotherhood smh lol)
Jan 7, 2020 11:25 PM
Oct 2016
My thoughts on Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 1

I've been meaning to watch both this and Brotherhood for years now. Finally started on the "original" series. It will be interesting to see the differences and figure out where this splits from the manga which I will be reading as well. As I understand it, Brotherhood follows the manga more than this because of the manga not being finished as of the animation of this series.

I liked this episode. It was a great start to a new show! It set up an interesting universe with interesting rules. I like the fact that it's about alchemy and the Law of Equivalent Exchange as it's always been a fantasy science that I have found interest in.

The missing ingredient that alchemists haven't found that allows for human transmutation... I feel like it may be hinting at the idea that the human soul exists in this universe, and that the human soul is impossible to contain or control in an alchemy setting which is why human transmutation is impossible.

I like the comedic relief in the show. It's plentiful now, but I've heard this show does have it's serious/sad moments so I will be prepared for that. The dynamic that the younger brother is always mistaken for being older is an easy trope, but still entertaining as long as it's done right. This episode did it well.

I give this episode 5/5
Apr 3, 2020 1:27 PM

Oct 2009
enkil said:
don't know how Alphonse was able to turn on the radio after he fixed it though, it was disconnected.

Yep

supermegasonic said:
he turned it into a wireless, lol

Can this be considered as fulfilling the "Principle of Equivalent Exchange" though? Or was this just a production overlook? Or maybe what matters is just the size, or mass?
Probably need to watch more episodes to understand better
SerhiykoApr 3, 2020 1:55 PM
Jun 16, 2020 3:57 AM

May 2020
Started rewatching this series after many years and will be watching Brotherhood simultaneously to compare differences between the two adaptations and the manga. And there were quite a few already in the first episode.

The biggest being speed, since FMA used one chapter in this episode while BH managed to include two.
Overall, I enjoyed the pace of BH more since it didn't add unneccessary fillers like the desert scene and Rose walking them to church.

FMA did some things better though, namely showing Lust scheming in the shadows from the start, giving Rose a better backstory and having Cray shooting Al (more fitting than Rose doing it).

So still undecided which one I prefer. Though the original FMA seems to create a better atmosphere...
Jul 23, 2020 11:46 PM
May 2019
Now, this should be interesting. The main characters are far more different from what I was anticipating, albeit bearable to say the least. Decent start, honestly.
Feb 2, 2021 10:47 AM

Apr 2020
THIS WAS SUCH AN EPIC START
Feb 6, 2021 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
Not expecting it to be better than brotherhood but I still think this will be good. First episode is better than FMAB first episode at least. Let's see where this thing goes.
Feb 17, 2021 1:58 AM
Nov 2020
Wasn't much of a fan of the alchemy, but still a very good episode.
Apr 1, 2021 12:57 AM
Mar 2021
I'm watching this first before Brotherhood. And so far, I like the atmosphere, it really fits the setting of the story. I love the concept about how you can only manipulate matter if there's an equivalent exchange. And the conflict of how humans have limits to what they can do, because they're not gods...

This would be an 8/10 for me now but the only problem is that I'm not really liking the characters... They can be a bit annoying... So I'll give this a 7/10.
May 29, 2021 10:13 AM

Jan 2020
10/10 first episode. It's so easy to get immersed into and it does a perfect job introducing the existence of alchemy in the series. For some reason, I don't remember this whole battle being more than one episode but I ain't complaining lol.

Sep 6, 2021 7:22 AM

Apr 2021
sooo i'm starting this classic

i liked the first episode, got some rules for the alchemist's powers and already quite an OP-looking opponent, curious ^^

let's see what else this anime brings to the table
i wish i was a cloud
Sep 15, 2022 6:24 AM

May 2018
I watched Brotherhood probably 5 years ago now, so seeing everyone here refreshes a lot of what I forgot lol. I think Rose, Cornello and especially Lust were portrayed much better here.
ByniavoSep 15, 2022 6:29 AM
Oct 5, 2022 4:23 PM
Aug 2022
2022 rewatch
this.. this is how you do a beginning episode. since 03 is still faithful to the manga here, this is without a doubt an amazing way to begin a series. you get hooked right away. you see the absolute horror ed and al created in the beginning and eventually through the episode more info about them is revealed. i watched the both fma 03 and brotherhood before so i obviously know what is going on. just rewatching this episode and seeing the little details that i have forgotten about really show why fma is one of my all time favorites!
Oct 20, 2022 3:59 AM
Oct 2022
esta bueno el primer capitulo
Mar 17, 2023 7:13 PM
Nov 2020
interesting input
Feb 18, 3:00 PM
Sep 2020
poggerssssssssssssssss
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.