Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 1 Discussion

Jan 16, 2016 9:42 AM

I find it interesting that Eric claims to be a man of science and that he doesn't believe in God, yet at the same time he views modifying the human body as a sin. I don't think he's as sure about his beliefs as he claims.

It's not surprising that men would try to spread false religions if a power like this was common. That so-called priest is full of crap.

I feel like it's too early to be showing us exceptional feats such as the circle-less transmutation. (What did Eric sacrifice for the spear, anyway?) They need to make more clear what typically is and isn't possible before showing us exceptions to the rules. I feel similarly about the Philosopher Stone.

We were thrown into this rather abruptly too. Why is Eric here in the first place, and if the reason is the Philosopher's Stone, what does he need it for? Conflict doesn't have much meaning without goals (even though I wouldn't object to a fraud being exposed). We need context; they can show us the flashy battles later.

Overall I suppose it was a decent start, but I hope the initial missteps are cleared up soon.

Jan 16, 2016 10:15 AM

TripleSRank said:
I find it interesting that Eric claims to be a man of science and that he doesn't believe in God, yet at the same time he views modifying the human body as a sin. I don't think he's as sure about his beliefs as he claims.

It's not surprising that men would try to spread false religions if a power like this was common. That so-called priest is full of crap.

I feel like it's too early to be showing us exceptional feats such as the circle-less transmutation. (What did Eric sacrifice for the spear, anyway?) They need to make more clear what typically is and isn't possible before showing us exceptions to the rules. I feel similarly about the Philosopher Stone.

We were thrown into this rather abruptly too. Why is Eric here in the first place, and if the reason is the Philosopher's Stone, what does he need it for? Conflict doesn't have much meaning without goals (even though I wouldn't object to a fraud being exposed). We need context; they can show us the flashy battles later.

Overall I suppose it was a decent start, but I hope the initial missteps are cleared up soon.

As a guy who's finished it, most of your stuff is explained relatively quickly.
erased sucks lol what an original opinion

Jan 25, 2016 3:08 PM
555|Kabuto|Ryuki

Pretty first good episode.

My expectations for this aren't as high as for Brotherhood but expect this'll be good in it's own right.

Jan 26, 2016 11:53 PM

Really really first good episode. Brotherhood really did rush things.

That final scene had me fanboying. Glad I finally started watching this.

Apr 30, 2016 8:12 AM

I started watching this again to see whether i was too harsh on it the last time but i'm just one episode into this and it's already breaking it's own rules. Pulling iron out of the sand is realistic i guess but where the fuck did Ed pull the wood for the rest of the spear. Make's no fucking sense and could have been easily avoided by just having the whole spear be iron.

But no. You could say that's it just minor detail but like i said it breaks the whole system.

Sep 16, 2016 3:10 AM

Since I've decided to watch Dub for this series, I'm trying to push through this anime again. I quit before. I can't stand Aaron Dismuke, but I'll give it a go. I was going to go ahead and start Brotherhood instead, but I have an itch for older anime that were mainly cel-animation and not digital. Plus it's the original.

FUCK English Alphonse.
Modified by Wicked_Edward, Sep 16, 2016 6:29 AM

Nov 23, 2016 10:22 PM
A really great start. Let's see if this meets my expectations!

Dec 13, 2016 8:53 AM

I really like Eds Japanese voice and I'm mainly watching it in Japanese as I love Rei Kugimiya.

I was recommended watching this and then FMAB as I was told I might not want to watch this one if I watched FMAB first.

Jan 27, 2017 7:00 AM

Good to be watching an old school classic !

Mar 12, 2017 1:19 PM

Quite weak for a first episode, but I am not gonna lie, my expectations are quite high.

May 12, 2017 10:16 AM

Dang, effed up first episode, AL being completely disintegrated and Edward losing his arm and leg while trying to revive their dead mother (which didn't really work out, poor mother)

Interesting first episode though, I wonder how Elric got AL back or at least his soul (that he put in an armour suit) it would seem.
Philosophers stone seems really strong in the right hands, or hand in Elric's case.

Modified by PrOxAnto, May 12, 2017 4:15 PM

Sep 16, 2017 11:24 AM

Playing the Opening at the end of the first episode is pretty weird, but I appreciate it nonetheless.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki

Jan 4, 2018 11:14 PM

I'm finally getting around to watching this anime. I always tend to put off viewing series longer than 13 episodes. Good kickoff to this anime though. Looks like it might be worth the wait.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 5, 2018 1:01 PM

Apr 13, 2018 10:06 AM

Great first episode, have a feeling I'm going to like this series.

It shows the consequences and laws of the wolrd on Fullmetal Alchemist rigth off the bat!

100/100 score

Dec 23, 2018 7:13 PM

It’s been about ten years since I watched this.
I never managed watch Brotherhood, so I thought rewatching this and treating myself to the “better version” is the way to go.
I have a lot of good memories with the original!

May 24, 2:08 PM

Fabulous first episode. I've decided to watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (plus the two movies) after constant recommendations and praise, and as the first episode of my first Anime I wholly enjoyed it. Great first episode.

Jun 19, 7:55 AM

Great episode! Might say I liked it more than it's brotherhood counterpart. This seems more serious and the comedy hits better when it does.

The only complaint I have is why place the opening at the end? Maybe it's the file I downloaded.
I like how the Anime community acts like a bunch of Commie hippies, "We the Anime community!"

It's just a bunch of different circlejerks who all hate each other and their own kind.

Jun 19, 8:31 AM

Optigisa said:
Great episode! Might say I liked it more than it's brotherhood counterpart. This seems more serious and the comedy hits better when it does.
I haven't seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood yet but I still think this is fantastic.

Optigisa said:
The only complaint I have is why place the opening at the end? Maybe it's the file I downloaded.
It's not the file you downloaded, it's like that on Netflix too. It's probably because there was no opening at the beginning of that episode so they put it at the end as a sort of opening for the next episode.

Jun 19, 8:34 AM

swiftestcat said:
Optigisa said:
It's not the file you downloaded, it's like that on Netflix too. It's probably because there was no opening at the beginning of that episode so they put it at the end as a sort of opening for the next episode.

Oh hello there. Yeah, I watched the second episode just now, and I noticed that they placed the opening at the beginning this time. Thanks for the clarification though!
I like how the Anime community acts like a bunch of Commie hippies, "We the Anime community!"

It's just a bunch of different circlejerks who all hate each other and their own kind.

Jun 19, 8:51 AM

Optigisa said:
swiftestcat said:

Oh hello there. Yeah, I watched the second episode just now, and I noticed that they placed the opening at the beginning this time. Thanks for the clarification though!
No problem, I was quite confused the first time watching it too!

Aug 22, 11:15 AM
Great good episode so far, going to start watching this and FM:BH after I finish everything of the original.

But damn, those brothers, rip to both of them.

especially AL, like his whole body just "poofed" ... would love a flash back one day explaining how his brother got him into his suit.

But that's a good rule "don't bring back the dead"

Pages (2) « 1 [2]