Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2015 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
I'm just glad that there are episode summaries on wikipedia for this anime lol
Jan 15, 2015 11:23 PM

Dec 2014
I hope all that flash text isn't necessary to understand happening because there's no way I'm going to pause to read that every single time.
I don't really have an opinion yet as it's so confusing but I imagine I'll come to understand what's going on as the show progresses.
Feb 9, 2015 6:46 PM

May 2014
Woooww, this feels really fresh. Loving the art and animation style. Very, very refreshing to look at. The backgrounds are incredible!

This is definitely promising to live up those "10" ratings. Looking forward to watching this entire series through!
Mar 5, 2015 5:47 AM

Jun 2014
Absolutely hated it, couldn't finish the episode, the way its put together is terrible.
Personally i can't see how someone would like it but that's just my opinion
Mar 5, 2015 5:47 AM

Jul 2014
Trinity-san said:
Absolutely hated it, couldn't finish the episode, the way its put together is terrible.

Just pull through
It starts pretty slow but trust me
Mar 5, 2015 5:54 AM

Jun 2014
SodaWithYoda said:
Trinity-san said:

Just pull through
It starts pretty slow but trust me

Trust me i wouldn't be able too
I'm someone that doesn't really like change and this anime is put simply "is a change"
Jun 3, 2015 8:07 AM

Jun 2010
God, I was half asleep through the episode. Boring and annoying.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2015 5:57 PM

May 2014
Is it okay for me to say that I didn't understood a thing from that 1st ep ? :/
Well I did understand globally what was happening but ... well for me this begin as a wtf
But a nice wtf though
Jun 18, 2015 3:04 PM

May 2015
The art for this is gorgeous. OP + ED seem to be good as well. The story has already started to grab me in. I'm excited to see where this goes.
Jun 28, 2015 10:26 AM

Jan 2014
I guess those texts are just a plus that do not really need to be read...
Because otherwise fuck it, I'd never read them anyway.

BTW, I quite dislike Hitagi. She seems quite full of herself, in a very bad way. It's not like a tsundere that tries to act spoiled to hide all of her weaknesses and inferiority complexes, she is a normal girl (aside of that peculiar crab thingy) with a whole lot of ego. Hard for me to imagine her kind to everyone like Tsubasa said. Well, I guess seeing a God that takes weights from people really change you. Hope she will be more relaxed when all of her worries will vanish.
Jun 29, 2015 8:20 AM

Jul 2014
Okay, I literally just started watching this because people are acting all high and mighty about liking this. This was boring as hell. Why do people like this? Is this show literally just people talking, with crazy visuals just so there's something to actually look at? This is almost as boring as Lucky Star. I was literally yawning throughout the whole episode.

1/5
Jun 29, 2015 8:23 AM

Oct 2012
64SuperNintendo said:
Okay, I literally just started watching this because people are acting all high and mighty about liking this. This was boring as hell. Why do people like this? Is this show literally just people talking, with crazy visuals just so there's something to actually look at? This is almost as boring as Lucky Star. I was literally yawning throughout the whole episode.

1/5
The exact reasons why you thought it was boring are the reasons why I think its good, the dialogue is some of the best I've seen in anime and the visuals are just the icing on the cake.
Jun 29, 2015 8:27 AM

Jul 2014
Feaor said:
64SuperNintendo said:

1/5
The exact reasons why you thought it was boring are the reasons why I think its good, the dialogue is some of the best I've seen in anime and the visuals are just the icing on the cake.

I respect your opinion, but what's so good about the dialogue? Because to me, it just seems like people narrating what's happening, talking about subjects tangentially related at best to what's going on, and info-dumping.
Jul 24, 2015 9:27 AM

Jul 2015
I just started watching this because I noticed it on my friends' anime lists and gave it 10s, plus it's popularity is ranked pretty high. This first episode was rather slow, but there's enough about it that I find interesting and makes me curious to know more. And besides, if so many people like it, then I'm definitely going to give it a fair chance! :P

I'm not sure what the point of the panty-shot was right at the beginning... still, I liked the episode fine overall. Hitagi seems really tough! I really want to know more about Koyomi's vampire stuff, and what the benefit/curse of being almost weightless actually is for Hitagi?

Seems weird, but I'm curious! ✿ 4/5
Aug 3, 2015 6:36 PM
Jun 2013
I'm gonna watch a few more before I say this is overrated but...that's what it's looking like lol
Aug 3, 2015 7:22 PM

Sep 2014
Ghost Stories with Tsunderes, Staplers, and Vampires. Oh My! Ep 1.

Plot: A part 1. We learn about the main guy, Koyomi Araragi, a former vampire meeting Senjougahara Hitagi, a crazy tsundere with a mean stapler and no weight. Upon learning of her ailment, Araragi helps her to cure it.

Character: Despite being a former Vamp, Koyomi comes off as meek against Hitagi but still quite willing to help. His somewhat retained powers will come in handy in that case.

Hitagi is divisive among watchers due to her attitude. I'm okay with it once you learn her backstory but I won't lie and say i wouldn't want Koyomi to bite back (pun not withstanding) but that's not his character so I move on. Hitagi is funny with her back and forth with Koyomi but I do wonder about that Tsundere trait.

LAstly would be Oshino Meme. The wizened old guy who knows some things about the supernatural. He seems decent enough but the fact that his face comes off as a bit rapey is kinda funny but makes me give him weird looks.

Animation/Sound: The music is pretty decent but I give it all to the ED. Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari is just feel good sound.

The animation is well drawn and the Shaft animation shows its mark with certain cutscenes, over the shoulder shots, and wackiness. Not an issue for me but probably not for everyone.

Big note about this ep(I'm rewatching to prepare for the final arc in October) is that this is a dialogue heavy show. There is action, comedy and such but it is primarily a talking show with different animation to help spice things up.

4/5. Even on a rewatch, I still enjoy the words and the animation just makes me boggle.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Aug 11, 2015 6:53 PM
Feb 2015
I was apprehensive about starting this series because I knew that the show was based heavily on dialogue. And, though I am a fast sub reader, I was intimidated. Regardless, I can easily read the subs and I am glad that I started this anime, I'm excited to see where it leads.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2015 6:15 AM

Aug 2014
Nice Start , Hitagi looks so cool , looks interesting , nice animation and OST as well.
I loved how they make the scenes from different angles , this is a good bonus imo.
Dec 19, 2015 3:53 PM

Jan 2012
i didn't like it when i watched the show last year becz of slow pace but i am liking it now .

Dec 26, 2015 1:09 PM

Dec 2015
I understand more or less but everything is still confusing. Probably that Shaft touch, and speaking of that was that some Gekidan Inu Curry? ❤

I enjoyed the visuals way more than the story in any case.
Dec 29, 2015 1:47 PM

Sep 2015
Omg, I just love Shaft artwork <3
This seems really promising!
Jan 11, 2016 5:58 AM

Mar 2015
Well this is definitely SHAFT. The visual is simply SHAFT lol.

It seems interesting. The bloody violence images flashing seems to foreshadow this anime.

Tsundere 5kg girl... with a stapler and vampire? How can anything go wrong?

Jan 16, 2016 12:07 AM

Apr 2014
First impression, beautiful artwork & animation, Intrigued and confused lol. Need supersonic reading skills to see some of the text thats flashing by xD. I think i'll enjoy this series.
Mar 1, 2016 1:35 PM

Jan 2015
A being of nothing, vampires and weightless people. Those are the types of people that have been introduced in the 1st episode already. Good start.
Mar 26, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2015
I like the animation, and how it looks like a book being read (all those frames with quotations). The art style looks psychedelic. Very good animation, cool opening.

You think you are a tsundere? More like a kuu with a little bit of MURDER. But well, that's so far.

This will have fan service, but it seems it will have good plot so, I'm interested in watching more of this.
Apr 21, 2016 4:37 PM

Apr 2016
I didn't like the first episode as it was filled with walls of text and random cuts that, for me, didn't add anything to the story and seemed more like a hindrance from what was going on.

I'm glad I didn't stick with my initial perception. I'm currently on the seventh episode, and the walls of text have dialed down (and I've chosen to ignore the ones that flash by as I'm not going to pause for every wall of text) and the random cuts add to the storytelling and pacing of the anime. The story also gets interesting. So, people who have reservations about carrying on with the anime, I recommend watching around 3-4 episodes before you actually decide to drop it.
bikers123Apr 21, 2016 4:40 PM
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jun 19, 2016 10:09 PM
Jul 2015
That was fun. The character animation is very well-done. I think this will be a memorable series.
Jul 21, 2016 12:17 PM

Apr 2013
Well that was certainly different, liking it so far. I just hope that I'll be able to understand everything Shaft is throwing at me ^^
Jul 24, 2016 1:10 PM

Aug 2013
This anime is a typical example of lack of talent, if you can't build adequate plot then you start to use "B-but this is just ecchi and comedy" excuse, if there are nothing happenning for hours then you just changing images and backgrounds without any reason with insane speed, when your characters are dull and plain you just using mystic ridiculous background. Author made a bet on simple move: "this anime is not like everyone else" and he beat weak minds of fanatics. In fact this anime is average in overall, all ypu need is to be smarter than "B-but look on its art! It's unique!", because I watched dozens of anime with great art, just look at Vividred Operation, it's another dull anime with expensive art and CGI, nothing helped it but just add some insane things and insane people will love it, how it worked with Bakemonogatari.
LawgunJul 24, 2016 1:18 PM
Aug 12, 2016 6:19 AM

Aug 2010
I don't know what's going on.... o______O Hopefully the next episode wont be as confusing/vague...
Nov 21, 2016 2:54 PM

Sep 2016
This is really... something. The art is very nice. I won't judge anything else until I have watched more episodes.

p.s. I can't help but notice that the camera barely ever focuses on the mc's face, I wonder if that's intentional.
Jan 9, 2017 6:56 PM

Feb 2013
Definitely original, so points for that. However, all that flashing text and weird scenes thrown around really made me uncomfortable. I'm hoping it gets better.
Jan 26, 2017 8:36 PM

May 2013
Ehhh. First ep was mehhhh. I don't like the attitude of Senjougahara :/
and her circumstances are kinda stupid.

But this is pretty highly rated, so I'll continue.
Kokoro_KotashimaJan 27, 2017 7:41 AM
Jan 28, 2017 9:35 AM

Jun 2013
Been meaning to watch this for years, and finally got around to watching the first episode!
Promising start.
Jan 30, 2017 3:07 PM

Apr 2015
Amazing Episode....Loved The Opening And Ending!
Feb 23, 2017 12:59 AM

May 2016
I had much more high expectations for this anime I guess some high rated anime get better after some few episodes.
Jun 8, 2017 2:13 PM
May 2012
finally starting this after all these years
Jul 12, 2017 7:06 AM

Apr 2017
artwork is great, the story hasn't really hooked me on this ep, but the characters are likable enough. Will keep watching for sure. I like the chaotic directing, even if it is a bit hard to focus on/understand at times. Still haven't been able to figure out the meaning/ reasoning for the unorthodox shot composition. Maybe just cause it looks cool? idk, but weird is better than boring by a longshot
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Aug 23, 2017 6:57 PM

May 2014
I remember trying to watch this back about 5 or 6 years ago and I just did not get it at all...I got through the first 3 episodes and quit.

It's pretty interesting to come back to a series like this and experience it so differently.
Those little bits I didn't notice back when I was 14 are so noticeable now, and I appreciate it a lot more.
One thing I loved right off the bat is the natural flow of the conversations and how the characters interact. It feels much more real and human compared to many other anime series out there that almost seem to regurgitate lines from hundreds of other anime before it.

Art/animation looks dope af. In fact, despite being made, what, 8 years ago (?) it still manages to look better than about 90% of the anime that have aired this year.

My only minor concern now is that this series is supposedly a glorified harem.
I hate harems with a fiery passion.

But hey, if this series can pull out all the stops, it might be something I could get behind.
I guess there's a first time for everything. I mean, I hated long-runners before Gintama so it's a possibility that Monogatari could draw me into a best girl war.

Sep 4, 2017 8:43 PM
Jul 2017
Weightless girl was touched by a crab so she staples the inside of a guy's mouth. This show is going to make a lot of sense
Sep 15, 2017 12:54 AM

Jun 2016
That was a very good first episode. I'm in love with its animation, and of course with Araragi, too, because of his fucking seiyuu. Haha.

And my Monogatari series journey commence.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 23, 2017 5:58 PM

Jan 2016
Animation is great but goddamn this is very dialogue heavy
Dec 4, 2017 10:50 PM
Jan 2016
Very intiguing first episode, interesting artstyle. But i swear to God, if this anime will bait me with some meaningless text in split-second frames again, i will drop it.
Dec 7, 2017 9:23 PM

Dec 2016
Man I'm finally starting the monogatari hype and already this first episode was great and already has me very interested in the story and world and man I can understand the hype now and boy am I looking to forward to the fact this has like seven or eight more seasons for me to watch
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 27, 2017 10:14 PM

Sep 2013
A bit too Shaft-ish for me. I enjoyed it enough, but it was a bit on the tedious side. I hope things pick up soon.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 22, 2018 12:18 PM

Jul 2016
Looks really hipster-ish, nice.

Very dialogue heavy, not a bad thing but the characters better have something interesting to say.

Oh, and I didn't know this ----> &, was called an ampersand. THE MORE YOU KNOW
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 29, 2018 12:00 AM
Nov 2017
Well, time to dive in to the Monogatari-verse and I enjoyed this first episode. The charcters seem ok, interesting sory so far. Feels like this could be a binger, but I'll take it slow.
Jan 29, 2018 9:55 PM
Jan 2018
The dialogue of this anime is hard to understand, and it has additional animations which explain such conditions or situations. some people understand well, and some not so. But, I enjoyed this anime so well personally
Mar 11, 2018 9:18 AM
Apr 2017
I think i've liked, but at the same time i didn't understand a thing

Ps: Awesome FMA reference
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Yesterday, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.