Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2007 2:38 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Out subbed by Shinsen-subs!

good episode and some good action.
But was surprised with what Setsuna said at the end!!

Looking forward to the next episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2007 7:18 PM

Oct 2007
I cannot be a Gundam... XP
Dec 23, 2007 7:51 PM

Apr 2007
It's kind of hard to be a Gundam... considering you need a big metallic body and all.
Dec 23, 2007 7:57 PM

May 2007
Dark_Koji said:

I totally don't understand why he said that at the end. I mean, so far throughout this anime, Setsuna has not proven to me otherwise that his entire being is basically to pilot and in essence, "to become one" with the gundam. Does he not want to be a mindless murderer? I dunno.

But man, this episode was full of political propaganda. Really need to pay attention to know exactly what is happening. After the great character development we got last episode with Allelujah, back to plot-driven episodes. I'm still waiting for some Setsuna character development or some actual character relationships with outisde characters to be formed.
Dec 24, 2007 12:56 AM
Dec 2007
awesome. i cant wait to see episode 13. the episodes are so damn hard to find... are they still currently airing? i dont really know much about the gundam series but i do enjoy watching them!
Dec 24, 2007 7:00 AM

Dec 2007
i'm also waiting for some character development on setsunas side....i think he is a gundam pilot to stop war...and he said that he hasn't become a gundam because he wasnt able to protect the kids that were fighting for their lifes as he was rescued by an gundam in the first episode
Dec 24, 2007 11:48 AM

Sep 2007
^ that's pretty much right. Setsuna failed to protect the kids like he was protected in his past. Also, because Setsuna seems to be quite an inferior pilot (his loss against his old comrade and how he struggles against anyone with skill, plus the CB informant's comment on "relying on his Gundam too much"). Though I thought it was humorous that the tagline for the next episode is "Setsuna becomes a Gundam." XD
Yay, Setsuna finally gets some character! I can't believe the level of political intrigue in a Gundam story! It's nuts. Good ep, good ep.
Dec 25, 2007 7:02 AM

Nov 2007
loved it. :D

zomg i really like this series a lot, considering the fact that the character development of this show is kinda slow.
Dec 25, 2007 7:44 AM

Oct 2007
vindemon64 said:
Dark_Koji said:

I totally don't understand why he said that at the end. I mean, so far throughout this anime, Setsuna has not proven to me otherwise that his entire being is basically to pilot and in essence, "to become one" with the gundam. Does he not want to be a mindless murderer? I dunno.
go and watch that fighting scene against and the one he fight with the bear guy/old friend. And ask yourself what is gundam need the most.

vindemon64 said:
But man, this episode was full of political propaganda. Really need to pay attention to know exactly what is happening. After the great character development we got last episode with Allelujah, back to plot-driven episodes. I'm still waiting for some Setsuna character development or some actual character relationships with outisde characters to be formed.
I think they did it really pretty good job. It is gundam not a drama if they don't involve those things then it wont be called gundam. In term of character develop for Setsuna is pretty good as it is. Introduct Setsuna's emotion + his background + Marina's character + war + battle, what else do you want from Gundam series?

All i can say is just wait for the conclusion of the next episode. And you will see what they can do.

I am not a big fan of Gundam and i dont say this to protect it either.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 25, 2007 6:00 PM
Aug 2007
wafflecakee said:
awesome. i cant wait to see episode 13. the episodes are so damn hard to find... are they still currently airing? i dont really know much about the gundam series but i do enjoy watching them!

Hard to find? Dude visit menclave
http://www.mymenclave.com/
In my opinion the best subs in HD SD h264 xvid, fast and best quality =)
Dec 25, 2007 6:28 PM

Jun 2007
The story is definitely getting interesting. It's kind of funny how middle east is still portrayed as a religious battle ground even in the future. GOD WILLS IT!!

Also did anyone notice at the start of the episode where the news reporter people where looking up possible links to who was involved in creating the gundams and CS the pictures? There was a pic of a women/person that looked just like Tieria Erde.
Dec 25, 2007 7:32 PM

Oct 2007
Well that was nice twist at the end.

Dec 26, 2007 12:12 AM

Nov 2007
DeathfireD said:
The story is definitely getting interesting. It's kind of funny how middle east is still portrayed as a religious battle ground even in the future. GOD WILLS IT!!

Also did anyone notice at the start of the episode where the news reporter people where looking up possible links to who was involved in creating the gundams and CS the pictures? There was a pic of a women/person that looked just like Tieria Erde.

the girl looked like tieria erde, could it be her mother? :O
Dec 27, 2007 5:17 AM

Aug 2007
I like this episode. I finally saw another Gundam have another weapon other than long range.

It feels like they are taking there sweet time with developing Setsuna. I hope the next episode we will be given some.
Dec 29, 2007 3:09 PM

Sep 2007
Lol the preview "Setsuna becomes the Gundam" xD

Good episode with mixture of political + action
Dec 30, 2007 2:30 PM
Jun 2007
Well, I'd say it's one of the best Gundam 00 episodes ever... not that it's that hard to do. So far, I hated all of the Meisters. I personally still do and hope they will get captured by any organisation.

The only two reasons I sitll watch this anime is because I'm a Gundam fanboy and of the animation, which is really good.
However, considering the high budget this anime, without a doubt, has I still have hope for it. With this episode, I hope they've found a way towards improvement.
Dec 30, 2007 4:25 PM

Nov 2004
Hey, I like the end with t he I can't be a Gundam thing. A nice little touch there how he realises he can't protect others the same way the previous Exia pilot protected him. Cause his piloting is sub-par. I wonder how he ends up talking to Graham next week. And I was confused when Setsuna said he was from Azadistan originally, considering we know he's Kurdish. And it gets confirmed when people even say his face is Kurdish (and give him evil looks in Azadistan). Guess he lied as an excuse to go out? Or that he really is originally from Azadistan but something happened...
Dec 30, 2007 7:35 PM

Jun 2007
Wasn't Azadistan the country that attacked his? maybe they conquered his country so now technically its part of Azadistan now.

Dec 30, 2007 7:38 PM

Jun 2007
Legion17 said:
Wasn't Azadistan the country that attacked his? maybe they conquered his country so now technically its part of Azadistan now.

thats probably why theres currently a civil war going on and the princess doesn't know how to handle it.
Jan 2, 2008 1:54 PM

Nov 2007
That one dude reminds me of Osama
Jan 6, 2008 12:29 PM

Jan 2007
Very enjoyable episode. I am really liking the political sides of things.
Apr 30, 2008 7:11 PM

Apr 2008
This show is cute; I felt bad for Setsuna, he was actually showing feelings.

"I'm not a gundam", lol? Meaning he's not a savior yet?
Jun 6, 2008 1:02 PM

May 2008
so far Setsuna has been the most boring main character i have ever encountered.
sorry if i offended any Setsuna fans but seriously he barely said anything throughout the anime, he doesnts show any kind of emotion towards anything other than his past and he doesnt have any relationship with any other characters.
Jul 29, 2008 3:02 PM

Jun 2007
This was a good episode, a nice bit of action and some more drudging up of Setsuna's past...

It was interesting how the episode hinted at the implications of oil being made redundant on the Middle East.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Jun 20, 2009 7:40 PM

Mar 2009
djinn_690 said:
so far Setsuna has been the most boring main character i have ever encountered.
sorry if i offended any Setsuna fans but seriously he barely said anything throughout the anime, he doesnts show any kind of emotion towards anything other than his past and he doesnt have any relationship with any other characters.
I've kind of felt this way about him too. He's definitely not one my favorite characters in this show.

This was a good episode but it definitely left me a little confused as to what's actually going on here, I'll have to rewatch it again later. I will say that it was kind of interesting to see Setsuna trying to deal with the whole situation. The scenes with Saji and Louise's mother were quite entertaining, oh and Grahm v. Lockon was awesome!

So this guy who was leading the conservatives was captured by those mercenaries which leads others to think that it was the reformists who did it, and cause a civil war. Do I have that right? And then the Union escalates the conflict by intervening because they want to see a Gundam and capture it. But why did the mercenaries cause the conflict in the first place? Did they want to get a shot at the Gundams too or did Al Sachez just want to stop the Solar Power project?

Well anyway as it was already stated the solar panels were completely shot up so now there's really gonna be conflict isn't there? A full on civil war is inevitable unless something is done, by CB or course. I mean it's not like that Princess can actually do anything useful. Really she isn't much of a leader at all.

4/5
CG-LOVERJun 21, 2009 11:02 PM
Feb 7, 2010 12:18 PM

Nov 2008
Now he is saying that he can not be a Gundam. Quite a drastic change from before. There are deeper themes to this series that relate to our current world state.
Jul 19, 2010 4:06 PM

Jul 2009
I enjoy how they are being realistic with the politics. From the loose geography they gave this episode, sounds like Azadistan is a mix of current day northern Iran, Iraq, and maybe parts of Azerbaijan and Armenia. They mentioned Azadistan took over the Kurdish Republic 6 years previous. They didn't flat out say it, but guessing Setsuna is Kurdish and was involved in that war. The other faction is likely Shi'a. Fits pretty well with religious sentiment in the area, just with different national boarders.
Oct 5, 2010 6:08 PM

Aug 2009
cool episode.
setsuna returns on his country.

err??
i cannot be a GUNDAM?
what's that supposed to mean?

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it."

chiquit

Jan 18, 2011 5:05 AM

Oct 2008
"This is just brute force. He's relying on the Gundam's abilities too much"

That's what Corner said about Setsuna, and that's exactly what I've been thinking, he's not a great pilot, he's not very surgical and he gets into trouble a lot and he is definitely emotionally unfit to be a gundam pilot. I'm glad at the end that Setsuna admitted that's he's not really a fit pilot. Setsuna is my least favorite character in the show but I'm still glad to see that he is able to understand his weaknesses.

"I...can't become a Gundam"

Great episode.
Apr 19, 2011 5:02 PM

Sep 2009
Setsuna IS a boring main character.
No comedic relief like FMP.
Nov 23, 2011 5:40 PM

Apr 2011
So, can anime get a new genre called "political drama." Because that's basically what this show is.
Aug 12, 2012 11:55 PM

Dec 2008
I agree, Setsuna is depending too much on the Gundam's abilities.
Aug 12, 2012 11:58 PM

Dec 2008
chiquit0621 said:
cool episode.
setsuna returns on his country.

err??
i cannot be a GUNDAM?
what's that supposed to mean?

Perhaps he meant Gundam Meister.
Sep 14, 2013 1:23 PM
Oct 2009
so Tetsuna loses his resolution
Apr 14, 2014 11:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Setsuna is a piss poor pilot and he really has to up his game if he wants to become a GUNDAM meister.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 19, 2014 7:06 PM

Feb 2013
Ali Al-Serges! Yeah! ... what a nut-job war monger (but that's what makes him fun).

Intense fight between Graham and Lockon. Graham's Flag is pushing his body to the limit.
Aug 4, 2014 10:57 AM

Oct 2013
It kinda irks me how everybody here is trashing Setsuna. He's very stoic and unemotional, but that's what I find interesting about him. I really don't think it's fair to say Setsuna is a poor pilot based on his previous fights, when we've seen the other Gundam Meisters have trouble too - including in this episode, where Graham was giving Lockon a hassle.

Of course, I'm not saying Setsuna is a great pilot either, but that's going to be a core part of his development, I think. He's young, seemingly younger than his colleagues, and greatly burdened by his past, yet seems to try to remain detached from it all. He's going to have to come to terms with everything and reach a resolution within himself before he's truly fit to pilot Exia, but I believe his seemingly strong will and his deep bond with Exia will see him through. Then again, perhaps something similar could be said of the other pilots as well.

Whatever the case, I like Setsuna. Can't say he's my favorite so far, but all of the pilots are cool... except Tieria. Tieria's a douche.

On another note, the politics of this episode were pretty hard to follow. I swear I was paying attention, but I'm not sure if I really understood.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 12, 2015 12:30 AM

Sep 2014
RazingPhoenix said:
So, can anime get a new genre called "political drama." Because that's basically what this show is.

Indeed.
Jan 19, 2016 4:23 AM

Jul 2008
And history repeats itself again. And people wonder why some people aren't very religious. When it can breed such hatred and contempt...it's disheartening to say the least.
May 10, 2017 12:11 AM

Apr 2009
But you can be a Titan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2018 7:12 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
If you give Graham a Gundam, seems like he'd for sure win against Lockon (and Setsuna). I think they were the only ones to have fought Graham so far? He puts up a really good fight with his Flag, to the point of making the Gundam Meisters fight their hardest. Had he not have to retreat both times, there's a possibility that he might've won.

I don't recall the other Gundam spin-offs that I've watched to have incorporated religion, so this is interesting. Well I guess it's also because it's based off of our world.

Setsuna isn't the first stoic Gundam MC that's I've seen, but neither do I find him boring. He's definitely more interesting than Heero Yuy ever was. Well, Heero had some hilariously savage lines. But at least Setsuna's backstory is one that you could sympathize with. I can definitely see him grow as the show goes on.
May 24, 2022 1:17 PM

Jun 2015
NabeShogun said:
Yay, Setsuna finally gets some character! I can't believe the level of political intrigue in a Gundam story! It's nuts. Good ep, good ep.

Gundam has always been about politics, except one season or another.
Jan 5, 3:38 AM

Jul 2017
The religious conflict of Azadistan is shockingly current, seeing what's happening in Israel and palestine.
I think that setsuna wants to be "a gundam" in the sense of not being tied to his past and executing his orders flawlessly, and i love the fact that he can't do it when he is in front of the horrors of his childhood.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Requal - Mar 28, 2008

187 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 27, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KrylonBlue - Mar 7, 2008

108 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 27, 2:15 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KrylonBlue - Feb 23, 2008

73 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 26, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kurotsuki - Feb 16, 2008

82 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 26, 11:13 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 9 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 2, 2007

44 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 25, 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.