Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 2, 2009 3:48 AM

Feb 2008
According to the interview with director Shinbo and producer Iwakami, "Bakemonogatari" will be 15 episode long. The programming block of the TV channel accommodates only 12 episodes, so they plan to stream the rest of the three episodes on the official website for free. Director Shinbo decided on the irregular series organization in order to reproduce the original novel faithfully.

Director Shinbo insisted that the idea of the un-aired episodes was not developed on account of their marketing strategy.

Source: Bakemonogatari official website

Aniplex was surprised to know the enormous amount of money required to borrow data servers for the streaming.

Source: Sendenman blog
dtshykJul 2, 2009 7:03 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 2, 2009 3:49 AM

May 2007
Hurray for quality stream!

Oh, wait.
Jul 2, 2009 4:02 AM

Jan 2008
Hmm, so the last 3 eps will be streamed?
Jul 2, 2009 4:03 AM

Mar 2008
Well..it just made me more curious about the series. O.o
Jul 2, 2009 4:25 AM

Jun 2008
That's not very pleasing.
Jul 2, 2009 4:30 AM

Oct 2008
That's what I like to see, the producers disregarding a time frame that the show needs to be completed in, in order to follow the original source material faithfully.
The anime industry could benefit from such methods.
Jul 2, 2009 4:31 AM

Nov 2007
Great, yet another series I have to wait for DVD releases of due to broadcast retardation. :(
Jul 2, 2009 4:32 AM

Sep 2008
That means the three episode will pretty much be DVD-only anyway, since streaming sucks.
I'd kick Shinbou's ass if I could. He's great director and stuff, but even great directors need spanking sometimes. XD
Jul 2, 2009 4:41 AM

May 2008
BigSimo said:
That's what I like to see, the producers disregarding a time frame that the show needs to be completed in, in order to follow the original source material faithfully.

I feel exactly the same way.
Jul 2, 2009 4:57 AM

Aug 2007
BigSimo said:
This is truth. Although, I knew they were gonna do something werid for this series, although I wonder how they are gonna handle Katanagatari in 2010...
Jul 2, 2009 4:57 AM

Jan 2009
yay! XD cant wait to watch it!XD
Jul 2, 2009 5:04 AM

Feb 2008
This show looks awesome and after Natsu no Arashi I trust Shinbo to pull this off. However, he's also doing Zan SZS at the same time, so we'll see.
Jul 2, 2009 5:44 AM

Nov 2007
Well, I suppose streaming the remaining 3 episodes is better than only releasing them with the DVDs, but still...

Then again, a more faithful adaptation of the original material is also good.

I'm not exactly very happy about this, but I suppose I'll wait and see what happens.
Jul 2, 2009 5:57 AM

Oct 2007
rah-rah said:
This is truth. Although, I knew they were gonna do something werid for this series, although I wonder how they are gonna handle Katanagatari in 2010...

SHAFT aren't doing Katangatari, WHITE FOX the guys currently doing Tears to Tiara will be doing it. They will produce 12 OVAS for Katangatari are release them monthly from January 2010 onwards.

RandomOugi said:
That's not very pleasing.

You would prefer they compress the story and rush things just because a station sells programming blocks in cours? If anything SHAFT should be applauded for going the extra mile and it's not like it will effect you at all since it's still going to get subbed.
Jul 2, 2009 6:07 AM

Dec 2008
Yeah right, this is not a marketing strategy lol!
Jul 2, 2009 6:12 AM

Aug 2007
Westlo said:

SHAFT aren't doing Katangatari, WHITE FOX the guys currently doing Tears to Tiara will be doing it. They will produce 12 OVAS for Katangatari are release them monthly from January 2010 onwards.

Ah, I just assumed that since they were announced at the same time (Both by NisiOisin) that SHAFT was doing one now and another next year. It's been a while since the news hit and I haven't really checked back on it.
Jul 2, 2009 6:55 AM

Oct 2007
rah-rah said:
Westlo said:

Ah, I just assumed that since they were announced at the same time (Both by NisiOisin) that SHAFT was doing one now and another next year. It's been a while since the news hit and I haven't really checked back on it.

While they won't be doing that I would expect SHAFT to eventually end up doing the prequel books for Bakamonogatari. 1/ They are very sequel friendly, 2/ They are massive fans of the light novel series. NisiOisin is hot stuff atm, I wouldn't be surprised if Medaka Box (his first manga which is serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump) is turned into an anime by 2011.
Jul 2, 2009 7:05 AM

Nov 2007
Westlo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Medaka Box (his first manga which is serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump) is turned into an anime by 2011.

I thought that within 2-3 chapters. "This is so going to be animated within a year or two".
Jul 2, 2009 7:44 AM

Feb 2007
Westlo said:
rah-rah said:
Westlo said:

While they won't be doing that I would expect SHAFT to eventually end up doing the prequel books for Bakamonogatari. 1/ They are very sequel friendly, 2/ They are massive fans of the light novel series. NisiOisin is hot stuff atm, I wouldn't be surprised if Medaka Box (his first manga which is serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump) is turned into an anime by 2011.

I'd rather see his Zaregoto work animated, I've read the first novel and its really good. Though there are a number of volumes in that series with several side stories so it may be harder to adapt.

Jul 2, 2009 8:19 AM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Westlo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Medaka Box (his first manga which is serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump) is turned into an anime by 2011.

I thought that within 2-3 chapters. "This is so going to be animated within a year or two".

If it was up to me I'll get Yamakan and Ordet/A-1 Pictures to do a Medaka Box anime.
Jul 2, 2009 8:36 AM

Aug 2007
Soulstrider said:
BigSimo said:

Same here.

And for all you naysayers; this is a good thing. Try thinking about it. -.-

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Jul 2, 2009 9:03 AM

Oct 2008
BigSimo said:

Agreed, too many series have ended badly because producers conform to the TV way. In reality for the better of the economy TV stations should be for flexible for the shows that producers make to give them more freedom. That way:
1. Producers have more freedom
2. Producers produce better shows
3. We enjoy more, and more people are more likely to watch.

Win for all.
Tyranid5Jul 2, 2009 9:06 AM
Jul 2, 2009 10:42 AM

Aug 2007
Kraker2k said:

I'd rather see his Zaregoto work animated, I've read the first novel and its really good. Though there are a number of volumes in that series with several side stories so it may be harder to adapt.
So would I, espically given the popularity it has enjoyed over the years (I think it's getting a reprint actually), so maybe if bakemonogatari turns out to be a winner with most people, maybe they will do more of his works or shorter series (Although I'm still waiting for more Baccano).

I'm kind of worried if Del Rey is gonna publish the rest of the series past book one though considering they took vol.2 off the site when it was supposed to be out in december of last year (Same for Case of The Dragonslayer, which I just ordered off Amazon Japan out of desperation and intense interest).
Jul 2, 2009 1:24 PM

Apr 2008
Lol, Shinbo's at it again :p
Jul 2, 2009 2:18 PM

Feb 2007
rah-rah said:
Kraker2k said:

So would I, espically given the popularity it has enjoyed over the years (I think it's getting a reprint actually), so maybe if bakemonogatari turns out to be a winner with most people, maybe they will do more of his works or shorter series (Although I'm still waiting for more Baccano).

I'm kind of worried if Del Rey is gonna publish the rest of the series past book one though considering they took vol.2 off the site when it was supposed to be out in december of last year (Same for Case of The Dragonslayer, which I just ordered off Amazon Japan out of desperation and intense interest).

I'm worried as well, according to a post in the forum its reported to be published sometime in 2010:

senerikfred said:
Rightstuf still has it as coming out on June 22nd, but in 2010.
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/4aLNWLl4GYo-QmDlX4/browse/item/80230/4/0/0
I'd look at ANN for any announcements pertaining to the series for a couple days.

Jul 2, 2009 2:39 PM

Apr 2007
Lol streaming, more eyecancer :D

Oh well, I prefer a faithfull adaption rather than a butchered ending :|
Jul 3, 2009 11:16 AM

May 2008
well see once we are finish with ep 13 ^^ how it is.
Jul 3, 2009 12:34 PM

Oct 2008
If the anime is an attempt to reproduce the original novel faithfully, I hope this will actually turn out as good..

Its been awhile since there was a supernatural anime featuring ayakashi elements.
Jul 4, 2009 11:36 PM

Jul 2008
Uh huh...I see
Johnny Hunter, Megamurican!!

(Haruhi's Biggest Fan Husband Right Here!)
Jul 4, 2009 11:51 PM

Jun 2008
I read the title and thought they were going to copy Haruhi's irregular airing.
Jul 6, 2009 6:55 PM

Dec 2008
WinterNightsFall said:
Soulstrider said:
BigSimo said:

Same here.

And for all you naysayers; this is a good thing. Try thinking about it. -.-

+1
Jul 6, 2009 10:56 PM

Apr 2008
I agree - it shows that they're actually putting in the effort to make this the best adaptation that it can possibly be. More people need to do this - I've seen waaay to many sloppily-ended series because the creators had to rush the plot to fit into a certain episode count.

If it means a drop in video quality, I'll take it. Even though Bakemonogatari looks gorgeous and I want to see it in its full glory, story is more important than pretty pictures. This will also work well as a DVD seller <shifty eyes>.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Jul 7, 2009 11:49 AM

May 2008
BigSimo said:

The fans could benefit from it but I doubt that it is benificial for the industry as it is.
Jul 8, 2009 11:54 AM
Apr 2009
BigSimo said:

Agreed.
Jul 8, 2009 3:33 PM

May 2009
Everyone seems to be well acquainted with the source material... :D

I'm new this series, but I thought the animation was really good. As for the story, it seems a little odd in the way it's presented, but if that's how it is then I'm ok with that. I liked it; looking forward to the rest of the series.
Jul 13, 2009 10:46 AM

Mar 2008
Wasn't there used to be an issue about industry's staff payment? Like 1m yen a year or something. Slave rates. If there are more DVD only episode the issue should be less of the problem.

And if all of us here buy DVD instead of BT the issue will be history.
Jul 13, 2009 9:49 PM

Apr 2009
Eternal_Blaze said:
Well, I suppose streaming the remaining 3 episodes is better than only releasing them with the DVDs, but still...

Then again, a more faithful adaptation of the original material is also good.

yeha i agree.

But i guess for me, its ok. I watched the first episode and it seemed interesting enough ^^

Jul 21, 2009 2:18 AM

Dec 2008
DarkSageRK said:
Depending on the localization, I may just buy the DVDs. But if they're just gonna sub it and leave a lot of signs untranslated, I don't think they deserve my money.

Merchandise, though... I'll probably buy some of that.

I hear ya. Do animes normally translate signs though? I've never seen dvds for things like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or Negima!? but they have tons of blackboard writings and signs here and there. I never really buy anime dvds..but I'm tempted to do so for this series.

Again, I don't normally buy merchandise anymore..but I really love the art. I don't know if it's mainly cuz of shaft..or if it's cuz of the original art. I never read the novels (tho i sorta want to, but dunno where to find them).
Jul 21, 2009 11:22 AM

Feb 2009
Ugh, I can only hope they will stream it in 720p H.264, but probably not...
Aug 5, 2009 6:22 PM

Aug 2008
seishi-sama said:
That means the three episode will pretty much be DVD-only anyway, since streaming sucks.
I'd kick Shinbou's ass if I could. He's great director and stuff, but even great directors need spanking sometimes. XD
Man, what's with all the hate? Sure you have to wait longer to see the ending in the quality you want but isn't that better than no ending at all? Would you prefer that he rush the ending or cut content to make it conform to a 12 episode format? Personally I respect the devotion and hope the more directors fallow his model.
Aug 8, 2009 12:06 AM

Sep 2008
dio_brando86 said:
Ugh, I can only hope they will stream it in 720p H.264, but probably not...

Yeah, the last 3 episodes only being available in stream quality sucks but a 720p webstream would be better than nothing. I seriously doubt it though given how well sites like Crunchyroll do already. I guess some people aren't aware of the serious hazards that streaming brings about.

We can always hope. If there is a proper 720p webstream and a group like gg includes it with their batch, I'll watch it. Otherwise, I'll be waiting for the DVD rips.
InevitableAug 30, 2009 8:23 PM
Aug 28, 2009 6:39 AM

Sep 2008
i dont understand, first most quarter series has 13 not 12 episodes, so why cant they broadcast episode 13 still in TV? secondly why three weeks more is such a problem and lastly, there actually exist quite a few series with irregular number of episodes...

so in summary this is all retarded -_-
Aug 29, 2009 6:05 AM

Nov 2007
Aw. Though, I only cared if still will be subbed. I mean, if I can understand japanese, I'll be happy and all. Wait, if I was japanese I can watch this free on TV. o.o;;

Though, back to the point. I hope that it still will be subbed.

Aug 30, 2009 2:32 PM

Feb 2009
Ryuukishi said:
Aw. Though, I only cared if still will be subbed. I mean, if I can understand japanese, I'll be happy and all. Wait, if I was japanese I can watch this free on TV. o.o;;

Though, back to the point. I hope that it still will be subbed.

I'm sure someone will rip the stream and it will get subbed, I just hope the quality isn't lacking.
Aug 30, 2009 8:30 PM

Sep 2008
Ryuukishi said:

Actually, no. The vast majority of anime stations in Japan cost a rather hefty premium to view each month. It's not as if you pay for TV and also get all of the anime channels. Aside from a lot of the more mainstream shows, dedicated 'anime channels' are an addition to the already high 'TV bill' per month. iirc some of the dedicated anime channels cost in upwards of $50 a month to subscribe to. Think of it as having to pay for HBO or 'extra channels' in western terms, it's not free.
Aug 30, 2009 8:44 PM

May 2008
DaBigD said:
Hurray for quality stream!

Oh, wait.

The irony.
Aug 31, 2009 2:57 AM

Jun 2009
well hopefully the streams will be good!!!

i wish they would make a bakemonogatari sequel using the prequel/sequel books like "koyomi vamp", "Karen Bee", "Tsukihi Phoenix ", and the stuff in the other 2 novels due to be released in 2010...

i only wish this cause i cant read japanese -.-
unless the books be published in the US!!!! (in engrish, i mean english that is)
Sep 4, 2009 6:28 AM

Dec 2008
yet another series follows the growing trend of "slap dicking" around for the final/final few episodes.

This is really starting to get annoying! I wouldn't be THAT pissed about it if the series wasn't as good as it is...but this is a GREAT series.

rant

Wonder if I can stumble through un-subbed webcast?

EDIT: And to everyone who thinks this is a timeslot issue regarding traditional 13ep series...I seriously doubt it! Think "Nintendo Wii release restriction"...if its not available...then it MUST be in demand?! Which "hopefully" drives more people to the product.
seeker1458Sep 4, 2009 6:36 AM

Sep 6, 2009 7:39 PM

Aug 2009
Sep 17, 2009 9:43 AM

Dec 2007
I wonder if they'll release the stream for all 3 episodes at the same time or on a weekly basis.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

72 by Memore »»
11 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

4 by MichaelJackson »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
Today, 9:22 AM

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.