Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 20 Discussion

Jun 29, 2009 9:17 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
English version of the song Bratja (Brothers) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRtOL-D45I

It's quite touching.

Jul 12, 2009 8:22 PM

heh i knew i've heard that butcher's voice before.
and now al has been confused and almost convinced that his memories aren't real.

Sep 6, 2009 2:20 PM

OOOo barry the butcher needs to re-die. He shouldn't meddle with Al!
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>

Jan 5, 2010 11:13 AM

lol serial killer back from the dead. al was awesome. wow what a twist two souls, one suit, i never considered it. Poor AL, don't believe the crazy man's lies.

Jun 19, 2010 3:23 PM

Al seems very gullible believing everything the butcher said. Good battle on big bro's side.

Oct 3, 2010 12:29 AM

Can't believe that butcher came back lol. Amazing of Ed and the whole human discussion. Poor AL.... I just want to hug him....

Oct 13, 2010 3:03 PM
Actually, in the manga, this was the first time Barry appeared... Great episode!

Oct 13, 2010 3:03 PM
Actually, in the manga, this was the first time Barry appeared... Great episode!

Oct 31, 2010 5:58 AM

Wow, I was certainly impressed with this episode, the ending had such a much bigger impact on me than the brotherhood version. So far the series getting better and better, can't wait to watch the confrontation with "her" and "him"

Mar 29, 2011 12:48 PM

Incredible episode. And the song "Bratja" sang in ny native language..oh it always touches strings of my heart.
For me it was really hard to blink away my tears T__T poor Al, please, don't break his heart, let him believe and love this life...

May 13, 2011 1:44 PM

This episode is one of the best to now. There was quite much fun and either serious content.

May 25, 2011 1:24 PM

so i wonder if the slicer will actually tell them or he will get killed before he gets too.

Dec 23, 2011 1:13 PM

Sep 5, 2012 1:23 PM

Great episode, I do hope the younger brother doesn't stay with the wrong idea that he got from that prisoner, either way great episode!

Sep 25, 2012 12:16 AM

man Barry the butcher was actually two brothers.

i actually laugh when asked if there's a 3rd brother XD

man so Barry the chopper was the guy they caught when winry was kidnapped and ed almost died??

Alphonse is really a master at kicking ass :P

just as Ed said, you are human, as well as the Slicer and Barry as well.

i actually wonder what was Ed was trying to say with Al??

episodes are getting intense :D

Dec 31, 2012 8:57 PM

I LOVE this episode! Alphonse was toying with Barry the Butcher! loool and this episode really brings the Brotherly Love to the TEST 5/5

Jun 20, 2013 12:15 PM

Barry was very terrifying to me in human form, in this form he seems highly amusing.

Aug 17, 2013 8:13 PM

I might be wrong, but for that particular episode, I thought Ed was going to ask Al if he had forgotten their mother's face as well (since Al mentioned that he couldn't paint a clear picture of any of his friends' faces from childhood)

Jan 22, 2014 9:24 PM

stand still so i can chop you apart lol right i think Alfonso will stand still so you can chop him apart weird question.

lol @ don't tell me you gone tell me you where actually three brothers kicking foot to the lower part.

great line: is the other guy strong yes but not as strong as me then i got nothing to worry about since i have never beaten my little brother in a fight before.

it can't be true what Barry was saying at least i hope it is not true.

that was surprising that there where 2 souls in 1 armor but i wonder how long he can keep up with not killing enemies and how did he do something with out transmutation does that mean he doesn't have to trade something in return :O so he has the same skill as Scar somehow interesting.

Kokoro_Inuzuka said:
I might be wrong, but for that particular episode, I thought Ed was going to ask Al if he had forgotten their mother's face as well (since Al mentioned that he couldn't paint a clear picture of any of his friends' faces from childhood)

good possibility i am still wondering what he was trying to ask.
Modified by Robertovk, Jan 22, 2014 9:44 PM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."

May 17, 2014 5:49 AM

barry ripping into al
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."

Jun 19, 2014 5:41 AM

Annoying thing about this episode was that the battle temporarily resolved because of fucking BS.

At the time the fake AL appeared ED was already standing up and there was no flash or anything so how the fuck did the fake AL appear behind the guy.

Makes no sense.

Jun 21, 2014 5:23 PM

Kuruwin said:
Annoying thing about this episode was that the battle temporarily resolved because of fucking BS.

At the time the fake AL appeared ED was already standing up and there was no flash or anything so how the fuck did the fake AL appear behind the guy.

Makes no sense.

I was wondering the same thing... so I decided to search here in the forum but it seems no one care about that... I saw the scene more than once but I didn't get how the fake AL appeared.
Modified by Joaomb, Aug 7, 2014 6:44 PM

Jul 14, 2014 12:59 PM

I couldn't believe what Barry said to Al about how his memories could be fake, that literally made me cry! It was so sad! ;__________________;

2 souls in one suit of armor too, didn't expect that.

Sep 20, 2014 12:57 AM

Touching tale at the end there.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Dec 27, 2014 3:24 AM
There is no way Al is an illusion.....no way!!

Joaomb said:
Kuruwin said:

Makes no sense.

I was wondering the same thing... so I decided to search here in the forum but it seems no one care about that... I saw the scene more than once but I didn't get how the fake AL appeared.

Ed obviously transmute it. They just didn't show it cause you should know it already.

Jan 10, 2015 8:10 AM

Man, that was great.

Jan 28, 2015 9:14 AM

God Al, how can you possibly believe a mass murderer who wants to kill you and doesn't know shit about your whole situation? That's so dumb, get a grip you idiot -_-

Jan 29, 2015 7:51 AM

Dammit. This is so addictive. I wonder why he suddenly
decided to do the transmutation only halfway like Scar.

May 29, 2015 10:36 PM

I got chillbumps all over when Barry laughs and explains how it took him and his brother's whole lives and being detached from their physical bodies to actually be treated like humans. It might explain how they got so messed up mentally. That was actually very emotional

Jun 2, 2015 3:15 PM

myfoxhat said:
I got chillbumps all over when Barry laughs and explains how it took him and his brother's whole lives and being detached from their physical bodies to actually be treated like humans. It might explain how they got so messed up mentally. That was actually very emotional

I agree! I'm glad they have lines like that that I think about the rest of the day!

Jul 7, 2015 3:19 PM

That conversation between Al and 66 (Barry the Chopper OMG) was hilarious xD
But seriously...Barry the Chopper!! No way...

And I'm sure he was just trying to mess with Al's head when he said all that about fabricated memories. But I am still wondering what it really was that Ed was going to tell Al...

Those brothers were finally treated like human for the first time, and it's while they're broken chunks of metal. Pretty sad. =(

Barry/66's voice reminds me of Juuzo Suzuya's voice from Tokyo Ghoul, but a more male version of it...
Modified by BlackFox24, Jul 7, 2015 3:23 PM

Jul 7, 2015 3:30 PM

Kryptoncat said:
English version of the song Bratja (Brothers) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRtOL-D45I

It's quite touching.

THAT WAS AMAZING <3 Oh my gosh T^T

Jul 31, 2015 10:54 AM

Barry the Chopper!? lmao He was hilarious in this episode. And wow, so that's what Ed was keeping from Al?

Fantastic fight scenes (especially loved the fake Al part lol) and great drama there at the end. Loved this one! -- 5/5

Aug 3, 2015 7:05 PM

Really entertaining fight

Oct 26, 2015 3:07 PM

That Al decoy was a smart tactic lol 5/5 good stuff, ready to branch off soon
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.

Oct 28, 2015 8:10 AM

Outstanding! An episode without defects, compelling narrative and full of surprises. Some poor quality of the sets, but the drawings keep well as quality, soundtrack orecchaibile, secondary characters very charismatic.

Nov 21, 2015 3:45 PM

What ? Barry is back ? Didn't expect that, nice twist. Excellent episode as well.

Dec 7, 2015 6:00 PM

They really know how to drag out each small thing into a whole episode don't they, we're no further along then the previous episode.
Such junk...

Jan 23, 2016 1:08 PM

This was one of the better episodes.

Feb 3, 2016 2:12 AM

Nice tactics by Ed.

Alphonse is being too paranoid tbh

Jun 4, 2016 1:38 PM
Wow! This was probably the best episode yet! But I guess I shouldn't say that just yet... soon I'm going to say that again. Also Bratja is amazingly good!

Jul 12, 2016 3:57 PM
It was a great episode! I'm looking forward to know the truth about Al, that seems to be so painfull. Besides that, the battle between Edward and the Slicer has been great. I can't wait to see next chapter!

Aug 24, 2016 5:16 PM

I was jaded when I hated on Barry and the Slicer Brothers last episode they ended up being a pretty cool concept, fma continues to impress me. Not a huge fan of episode long shounen battles but that one had just enough content to keep me interested the whole time, plus the fight choreography is actually really well one.

May 18, 2017 2:17 PM

Barry the Chopper has a point though, who's to say AL isn't just a copy of his original brother.
It's always been hard to define what makes a human really a human, (or what makes us ... us) something that has interested me for the longest time.

Slicer brothers, despite being mass murderers turned out to be cool near the end of the episode, being amused by Edward.

Mar 3, 2018 2:55 PM

Those criminal dudes really mind screwed the brothers

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 25, 4:47 PM

Al really shouldn't have believed Barry for a minute.
Ed barely had time to attach his soul to armor, let alone Ed was in a panicked state to manipulate that fact so quickly, as children.

I suppose you could argue Ed could have changed their relationship to his liking after but it just... seems unlikely considering all they have been through with each other. I'd like to think although Al is naive that he could at least understand his brother enough to decipher the truth.

Apr 24, 9:29 AM
Barry the Butcher might actually be right. The Elric brothers don't know anyone who could dispute the fact that they were brothers unless they were from his hometown. We did have that one girl from his hometown who waved at Alphonse though, so... The old lady and Winry never said anything about Alphonse and Edward in their childhood, except for maybe the story of how Edward didn't scream or cry during the initial automail attachment. He was quoted as saying "My pain is nothing compared to his [Alphonse", but then again that could be another fabricated piece from the true story behind it.

Jun 20, 11:10 AM

Good episode. Wonder if Al will act all emo again.
I like how the Anime community acts like a bunch of Commie hippies, "We the Anime community!"

It's just a bunch of different circlejerks who all hate each other and their own kind.