Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2014 5:04 PM
Feb 2014
i was wondering if there is any chance of little busters and refrain getting another adaptation, like kanon did?
Feb 15, 2014 5:45 PM

Sep 2012
Hopefully, but probably not.

>inb4 MCAL
>inb4 Seano299
"No, it won't get remade, and it was better than the shitty art source material, even if the majority says otherwise, and Vladz0r can write near perfect arguments to prove everything I say is wrong."

If you want my more all- inclusive opinion...
I think that with the state of KyoAni, it will probably not be remade by them any time soon.
Warner Bros. is cashing out on Little Busters as planned, but Key is likely unsatisfied with the sales of merchandise and whatnot, considering that Little Busters should've become more popular than Clannad due to its stylistic change and wider appeal - more comedy, fujoshi (Kyousuke), etc.

I think if Key doesn't get Rewrite adapted by Warner Bros. and continue their relationship with them, a Little Busters remake is then possible. Key has gone to things like Kyoto to discuss adaptations and stuff, and they've openly renounced the adaptations of their works by Toei, and hoped Little Busters wouldn't suffer the same fate, which it didn't QUITE suffer, but yeah.

Imo, a good Rewrite adaptation is pretty unlikely in this state, as there are few studios who could handle that well and get a decent budget for it. Warner Bros. is complete shit in that department.

Angel Beats will likely reach, if not surpass, Little Busters' VN sales amounts when it debuts this Spring, and continue to sell well for the next volumes, so Key is fine financially right now, and doesn't really need to push any adaptations or remakes right now, though multiple franchises having exposure will definitely help Key as a whole.

Little Busters already having a cheap anime, KyoAni being essentially dead, Rewrite's tough to adapt source material (and the same applied to Little Busters, which also required competent budget and scriptwriting to be an effective nakige adaptation *cough*), and Angel Beats being on the rise I think puts another Key anime adaptation in an iffy spot. Rewrite ought to be next in line for an adaptation, but no one is interested right now, and Little Busters EX is still being released.

So... yeah, it just seems like a really shitty situation to be in for people looking for an upcoming Key anime adaptation.

You could say that a LB remake could be handled by "anybody" as long as it's not JC Staff or Deen or something, but I beg to point out the competence of the average anime producers versus the work put into Key's VNs, and question how anyone would find those two even remotely equatable. We'll likely end up with more hit or miss adaptations that pander to the VN fanbases, like other smaller VN studios have had.

There are a bunch of factors right now, and the gods are just rolling the dice and laughing at us
Vladz0rFeb 15, 2014 6:05 PM
Feb 15, 2014 6:35 PM
Feb 2014
wow. you went into quite a lot of detail.

From what i can tell from your post, it is unlikely for it to happen any time soon but maybe in the future? if so that makes me feel slightly better as i love little busters.

Also what do u mean by kyoani being dead? as i only recently started watching anime recently.
Feb 15, 2014 11:31 PM

Sep 2012
Ah.
Basically, KyoAni adapted Air, Kanon, and Clannad pretty closely together, and Key pretty much hit its "big break" and was at its peak, with topselling VNs and quality anime adaptations. KyoAni later reached the point where they don't have to be well known for their quality adaptations, and now they just adapt their own Light Novels instead.

With a VN adaptation, the merchandise-related sales goes back to the VN companies, and studio and producers have to primarily rely on the DVD/Bluray sales.
With LN adaptation, the producers are often the LN publishers themselves, and will make money back on novel sales, as well as merchandise sales.

An example is Fullmetal Alchemist.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=122172

Basically, Square Enix funded the original anime, boosted the manga's popularity, and made a huge profit from the manga sales as well as the anime sales.

With a VN adaptation, those types of profit margins and nigh impossible. With as much effort KyoAni put into Clannad, they're making more $$ per episode of producing Chuunibyou and Free than they did from making Clannad.

Good, quality VN adaptations are pretty risky, and will have to rely on the anime itself attracting a larger audience and being able to sell the DVD/Blurays for the producers to make money back, and it will have to rely on the VN's fanbase to support the DVD/BD releases.

So, essentially, the main studio who worked on Key's past quality adaptations have moved on to a more seamless and lucrative method of anime production, one that gives them profits over the series they animate in more areas, and the potential for a good VN adaptation/remake is pretty low,

This chart - http://imgur.com/a/6YRX1
5.4% of anime come from VNs. There really just isn't a demand for the production of a VN adaptation because of the risk and production factors involved.
A lot of adaptations wind up being average or below average series, despite having much better source material. The story structure and developments not working out naturally in the anime's production, lack of budget, writers and screenplay people not being led well to make the execution smooth, etc., cause a poorly received and ignored VN adaptation to exist.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

538 by PepegasLand »»
Apr 19, 12:46 PM

» Is it likely Little Busters Refrain will reach top 5 in MAL? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aversa - Oct 3, 2013

308 by polarbeararmy »»
Apr 16, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

351 by FUNNYDOGE »»
Apr 13, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2013

391 by Remurst »»
Apr 9, 2:48 AM

» How good?

kam1n0 - Dec 12, 2021

21 by Donkunsan »»
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.