Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2009 6:34 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So the trees turned blue and... disappeared? Oh, well.

Vercio needs to do something with that hair! It seems lots of characters in FMA like the hair brushed over one eye look.
Jul 10, 2009 12:41 PM

Dec 2008
Kryptoncat said:
Vercio needs to do something with that hair! It seems lots of characters in FMA like the hair brushed over one eye look.
i know huh. whatever happened to his right eye.

rofl russel is a year younger than ed and he is still taller.
Dec 7, 2009 11:30 AM

Nov 2009
It woulda been cooler if the trees around their house just stayed red. Woulda been a nice touch. Then they turned blue and I was thinking how cool it would be if they stayed blue.
Jun 6, 2010 3:39 PM

Mar 2010
kk, Russel is actually on my good side now.
Oct 4, 2010 5:24 PM
Aug 2010
I don't know about this episode, the first part of it seemed better... I guess it's because this is a filler...
Feb 12, 2011 3:31 AM
Feb 2011
i thought the trees were gonna crumble into red stones
May 24, 2011 8:19 PM

Jul 2010
i wasnt expecting hem to disappear but it might have better that way

May 30, 2011 4:35 AM

Oct 2010
Fletcher. <3

The music here makes it sound like a fairytale, lol.
[insert awesome signature here]
Apr 28, 2012 11:07 AM

Jan 2012
Yay for friendship and respect for nature.
Sep 5, 2012 8:34 AM

May 2012
Great second part! The whole episode was quite nice the ending was quite funny ED is really small xD
Sep 23, 2012 2:08 AM

Jul 2009
ehh i was hoping Vercio would have a bigger role :P

and lol Russel is a year younger than Ed and he's still taller than him XD

yay Ed and friends saves the day!!!!!

yeah it was weird to see the trees turned into red then blue then disappears.

next episode Roy Mustang vs Ed!!!!!!
Dec 30, 2012 2:45 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
haha shorty Ed! LOOOL always cracking on his height :P
張大です for 張大勇督察
Mar 15, 2013 9:52 AM

Nov 2012
The whole tree thing at the end was a bit depressing though because I feel the marks left behind will always be a reminder of the suffering people had from the illness.
Aug 16, 2013 10:55 PM

May 2013
JoshOfRJNN said:
It woulda been cooler if the trees around their house just stayed red.

Then we could say that's what explains the Redwood Forest xD
Dec 27, 2013 2:18 PM

Jun 2012
i keep thinking why does this black haired woman don´t need a cap before here mouth while all others need even Ed in front of the red water.

it was a nice ending to this arc and the letter in the end was funny cause i actually expected a confession of some sort.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jun 2, 2014 2:13 PM

Jul 2013
The tree thing looked awesome.

Russell was hot <3
Sep 19, 2014 3:17 AM

Jan 2014
Some pretty nice visuals in this one.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 26, 2014 1:07 PM
May 2012
Fletcher did what I thought :O I knew he is cool!!
Russell became cool :D He is younger than Ed but taller ahahaha. Good end~
Jan 21, 2015 9:06 AM

Apr 2013
Well 12 episodes in and I kinda feel a bit disappointed. I had high expectations for this, but so far it's nothing special. But next episode looks fun.
Jan 28, 2015 11:40 AM

Jan 2014
I liked this. I like how both good and bad sides of alchemy are presented pretty well in this show, and how it can be cheerful yet really dark at times. Can't wait to see more of those darker things hahah
May 23, 2015 9:35 PM

May 2015
The trees turning red, growing, turning blue and turning into dust was a bit too much.
Jun 11, 2015 6:54 PM

Apr 2012
RedRoseFring said:
Some pretty nice visuals in this one.

Yeah I loved that underground spring in particular.

Nice climax. Doesn't really feel like a filler to me since they've not investigated the Philosopher's Stone since the first episode.
Jun 13, 2015 11:06 PM

Nov 2014
I'm gonna miss those two. It's great that they had such respect for nature when Fletcher apologized to the trees for having to make them disappear. Everything has it's own energy, and the trees really are alive. It was pretty creative the way they went about getting rid of all the red water. And that rock wall that Ed made was amazing!

It feels so weird calling him Ed because that's my dads name. =/
Jul 27, 2015 11:26 AM

Jul 2015
I wasn't too impressed with this story, really. I did like the imposter thing and seeing Lust, but the rest was just so-so. And having the trees absorb the red water to detoxify it was kind of cool, but turning the trees into dust didn't make any sense to me.

Overall okay, but nothing spectacular. --3/5
Oct 12, 2015 8:17 AM

Nov 2011
Second part of the story more compelling and intriguing, is also identified another clue to continue hunting the philosopher's stone, the whole is enjoyable episode. The promo on the next episode looks very interesting, I run to see him immediately.
Oct 22, 2015 11:25 AM

May 2014
Hmm we probably won't see those two brothers again, so I guess this was just filler. Not bad though, I liked it. 4/5
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Nov 20, 2015 2:17 AM
Nov 2014
Nice episode, Ed keeps getting teased for being short lol.
Jan 19, 2016 1:37 PM

Nov 2011
Ehh. They keep stretching the alchemy stuff. Most notably, Fletcher made huge trees appear out of nothing twice in this episode. The huge rock rock Ed created outside the mountain was a bit questionable as well, but it's not quite as blatant.

I actually thought using the trees to detox the area was a cool idea, but then they went and got rid of them. Is it just me, or does everyone Ed and Al meet have extraordinary alchemy abilities? I mean, virtually nobody even has to make alchemy circles (usually because they have it inscribed on a body part or article of clothing). It reduces the uniqueness of Ed's ability to transmute without an alchemy circle, even if we presume his ability is more versatile (e.g. because you need different types of circles to transmute certain things). The sheer scale of this episode in terraforming such a large area stretched my suspension of disbelief as well.

I don't know. It was okay, but I keep getting "okay" from this series when its reputation led me to at least expect "above average", if not "good", "great", or "fantastic".
Jan 31, 2016 1:38 AM

Dec 2013
Those were some weird trees....

Next episode is looking hype!
Jan 25, 2018 1:00 AM

Sep 2013
Yeah, the whole tree thing was...weird

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 18, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2007
I do not remember these past two episodes at all...

These past couple episodes weren't bad, but they weren't remarkable either. I really thought they ran into the main bad guys by now.

Apr 22, 2019 6:45 PM
Jan 2019
So if Russel and Fletcher are Agricultural Alchemists, I'm assuming from the title Fullmetal Alchemist that Edward is restricted to alchemy involving metals? I guess that's what the different transmutation circles are for, but does that mean that one person can only learn one type of alchemy? I'm pretty sure we've seen Al use alchemy on an apple which is NOT a metal. If Al can do that, then Edward is fully capable of using other types of alchemy, but does he know how? He can learn if he wants, but does he want to?

I couldn't believe Russel was a year younger than Edward either, he's so tall. It's nice that he still has time to realize his mistakes and take after Edward's role as a role model for his younger brother.
Jun 19, 2019 3:50 PM

Jul 2016
Interesting episode. I wonder what Lust is planning.
Apr 16, 2020 3:53 PM
Mar 2018
This series has been on my list for years now and this episode ids the one I've ended my first viewing session on. So far the series has been very entertaining, sometimes heartfelt and funny, and also heartbreaking (I'll never get over Nina). Having said all that this was a really nice end to the 2 parter on the fake Elric brothers and was well paced and well executed . This series is really starting out strong and i can't wait to continue on with this series and eventually FMAB
Jun 18, 2020 4:46 AM

May 2020
RedWhisper said:
I wasn't too impressed with this story, really. I did like the imposter thing and seeing Lust, but the rest was just so-so. And having the trees absorb the red water to detoxify it was kind of cool, but turning the trees into dust didn't make any sense to me.

Overall okay, but nothing spectacular. --3/5

Again, RedWhisper reads my thoughts :D
The last couple of episodes were rather disappointing. Hopefully they pick up the pace soon and get on with the main story.

TripleSRank said:
Ehh. They keep stretching the alchemy stuff. Most notably, Fletcher made huge trees appear out of nothing twice in this episode. The huge rock rock Ed created outside the mountain was a bit questionable as well, but it's not quite as blatant...The sheer scale of this episode in terraforming such a large area stretched my suspension of disbelief as well.

That was really weird, yeah. Fletcher didn't seem that strong of an alchemist and even for Ed creating that huge wall effortless was somewhat unbelievable. Especially after he struggled so much against Russel in part one.
Jun 1, 2021 9:18 PM

Jan 2020
It was an improvement from the previous episode but eh. I would say it's like a 3/5

I'm just glad the fake elric brothers have gotten more likeable and the conclusion was surprisingly sweet

Sep 17, 2021 11:28 PM
May 2021
MMMMmmmm... It was OK, wish the tree thing was a little less random and weird.
Sep 29, 2022 4:39 AM

May 2018
Even the trees are carrying this show
Oct 10, 2022 10:41 AM

Dec 2016
TripleSRank said:
I don't know. It was okay, but I keep getting "okay" from this series when its reputation led me to at least expect "above average", if not "good", "great", or "fantastic".

BeeBeeKay said:
The last couple of episodes were rather disappointing. Hopefully they pick up the pace soon and get on with the main story.

The problem is that nothing really interesting has been happening as of late. Half the show at this point is filler, exposition and flashbacks about events that happened in the past. New, important present-day events rarely happen. It's just "Ed and Al go to new town looking for the philosopher's stone, someone is causing the town to suffer, Ed and Al stop them and save the town, 50/50 chance Ed and Al maybe get a clue on the philosopher's stone before moving on to new town, rinse and repeat". The plot takes one step forward then stands still for a few mostly boring filler episodes in which the main characters like Roy and Winry don't have any relevance or make any appearance. Watching the two brothers chase down pointless leads for the whole show just isn't engaging to watch. At least it's really funny from time-to-time or else I would've dropped this already.

With all that being said, I can kind of see why Brotherhood might be more well-regarded since it supposedly speeds through most of this show in a short amount of time to hopefully get to actual plot developments.
Oct 19, 2022 1:59 PM
Aug 2022
you know what, this episode is actually kinda decent. it was definitely interesting i'll say that. though the villain dude felt kinda lame. he apparently murdered the fake elrics' father? it was so glossed over i couldn't really tell..

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.