Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 1, 2010 8:40 AM

Jan 2009
Forrest said:
RoE 2.0 is some like Avatar, really nice to admire everthing what u see and what u hear but if u come to storyline u dont know what to say
That's like.. A horrible comparison, seeing as Avatar wasn't even a little good xD.
Though I understand your point, as the storyline is somewhat messed up ^^;
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jun 1, 2010 8:43 AM

Sep 2008
Forrest said:
+Nice looking animation
+Good music
+Mari

-Storyline is seriously horrible, yeah i know this is Rebuild and there have to be some changes but ffs....
I can uderstand somehow
but i dont know wtf about fight against zeruel

6/10

Vote: 3 out of 5: It was OK

RoE 2.0 is some like Avatar, really nice to admire everthing what u see and what u hear but if u come to storyline u dont know what to say

Asuka piloting made alot more sense then Toji, Toji basicly made no sense what so ever in the original, they just happen notice he's even remotely capable of operating an eva and for his first time even being at Nerv, they stick him in an untested, and vastly dangerous new model that they have zero idea what it could do, or can do, neither did they even build it. You don't hand over untested weapons to the rookie.

On top of that having Asuka in unit 3 gave it alot more depth, it was pretty bold of him to take out a main character early on in the story.

No Karou isn't coming to help them, I don't even know what your even trying to get at.

also the original storyline was fucking terrible so I dunno what your trying to fault it for
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 1, 2010 9:01 AM
Feb 2009
nvm about my "helpful kaworu" but this changes nothing tbh, its still horribly messed up.
Jun 1, 2010 9:01 AM

Jan 2008
Jigero said:
Forrest said:
+Nice looking animation
+Good music
+Mari

-Storyline is seriously horrible, yeah i know this is Rebuild and there have to be some changes but ffs....
I can uderstand somehow
but i dont know wtf about fight against zeruel

6/10

Vote: 3 out of 5: It was OK

Asuka piloting made alot more sense then Toji, Toji basicly made no sense what so ever in the original, they just happen notice he's even remotely capable of operating an eva and for his first time even being at Nerv, they stick him in an untested, and vastly dangerous new model that they have zero idea what it could do, or can do, neither did they even build it. You don't hand over untested weapons to the rookie.

On top of that having Asuka in unit 3 gave it alot more depth, it was pretty bold of him to take out a main character early on in the story.

No Karou isn't coming to help them, I don't even know what your even trying to get at.
This. I'm pretty sure I had to go back and rewatch that episode to try to make some sense of why Toji was piloting anything. It made absolutely no sense. It's a lot better this way. And as always, I don't really know everything that's going on in the story, as it's a little hard to follow, but it is in no way horrible.

Jun 1, 2010 11:12 AM

Feb 2009
The best thing humanity has created.Brb dying.Eva grown up just like Anno did.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jun 1, 2010 12:16 PM

Jan 2009
That was just great! I really enjoyed it..
Standing for Truth. Standing for Justice. Standing Around.
Jun 1, 2010 3:23 PM

Jul 2009
WWWWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
wait, wait
WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT

Also, adding the little kid songs was meant to evoke the same sense of pure despair and finality that 'Komm, Sußer Tod' did. It didn't work >_>

Kickass movie nonetheless.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jun 1, 2010 3:31 PM

Jul 2009
So I just saw the part after the credits...

But seriously, this is getting strange, and I'm not sure if it's good or not yet
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.
Jun 1, 2010 3:42 PM

Jul 2009
ftiki88 said:

Anyways, rumors are that Quickening is supposed to air in the Japanese theaters during the summer. Perhaps a little too optimistic, but I heard that it is because 1.0 and 2.0 did so well that the studio put a "no budget cap" on Quickening. So the gap isn't supposed to be as bad as with 1.0 and 2.0. But who knows if that's true or not.

Either way, I can't wait for Quickening...

Time to buy a new computer! 1080p BD on a top-of-the-line machine.... /drool
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.
Jun 1, 2010 3:45 PM

Dec 2007
I don't understand how you're drooling over something that you can't even decide if it's good or not.
Jun 1, 2010 3:52 PM

Feb 2009
I'm intrigued by Kaworu's words.Maybe the world was reset after the events of End of Eva...That would make it even more awesome.
Urufuzu_reinJun 1, 2010 4:02 PM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jun 1, 2010 3:57 PM

Jul 2009
Meddigo said:
I don't understand how you're drooling over something that you can't even decide if it's good or not.
drooling over the animation quality :P

There's no question as to whether or not I like the movie, I just can't decide whether or not I like it relative to the old series... which is probably a silly thing to do.

It's hard to get a feel for the new stuff after watching the original for 13 years, you know? I'll probably feel different after a re-watch.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.
Jun 1, 2010 7:13 PM

Jun 2009
Wow. Shinji's balls actually dropped. Didn't think I'd live to see that.

Still, I'm sure he'll revert to being a whiney pussy shortly into movie three. :P
Jun 1, 2010 7:55 PM

May 2008
Urufuzu_rein said:
I'm intrigued by Kaworu's words.Maybe the world was reset after the events of End of Eva...That would make it even more awesome.

That make a lot of sense kinda a lot like retake was and i love that manga it has in my mind the true eva ending. What can i say im a sucker for happy endings.
Jun 1, 2010 9:11 PM
Nov 2009
Just watched it, and it was EPIC AS FUCK.
Time to buy the DVD, from somewhere... =\
Jun 1, 2010 9:41 PM

Apr 2008
The only problem I had with this was the MASSIVE amount of fan-service. I knew it'd happen with Asuka and all, but it honestly could have done without it. It just made some scenes really awkward... :/
Other than that... I can't even find words that accurately describe how... amazing... this... brb, re-watching.
Jun 1, 2010 10:46 PM

Sep 2009
ReiLuvsChii said:
The only problem I had with this was the MASSIVE amount of fan-service. I knew it'd happen with Asuka and all, but it honestly could have done without it. It just made some scenes really awkward... :/
Other than that... I can't even find words that accurately describe how... amazing... this... brb, re-watching.

That's exactly how I felt. Still a great movie though. I can't stop re-watching the action scenes now.
Jun 2, 2010 8:48 AM

Mar 2010
The fanservice wasn't that bad.
Jun 2, 2010 10:13 AM
Nov 2009
masaba said:
anybody know what the avi 400p quality is like?

bad

just becuse its avi and 400p

----------------------------

This movie was AWSOME! and tbh this is as close to perfection as it gets, Asuka's sweet body and all the fluid fights. The pacing was awsome nothing was to rushed/drawn out and everything was just perfect. Also the animation is top-notch

changturkey said:

The fanservice was awsome but haters gonna homosex like usuall and there is nothing we can do about it :<
qwerty1337Jun 2, 2010 10:17 AM
Jun 2, 2010 10:28 AM

Mar 2010
Someone needs to make a "Haters Gotta Hate" motivator using a scene from 2.22.
Jun 2, 2010 11:20 AM

Aug 2008
twas awesome
Jun 2, 2010 1:44 PM

Sep 2008
oh boy what there to be hated... the whole things was awesome... fuck, I'm speechless...
fanservice ?
that always to be GAINAX trademark you know.
but yeah I feel kinda awkward too with the change, but who cares, this shit AWESOME, will buy the BD for sure.

10/10

at least until the rate overtake that overrated-movie-that-even-everyone-not-watch-it-yet
Jun 2, 2010 3:37 PM

Sep 2009
Torrentsven said:

changturkey said:

The fanservice was awsome but haters gonna homosex like usuall and there is nothing we can do about it :<

It's not that I hate fanservice in general (I've seen shows with a lot of fanservice that I liked), It's just that it doesn't really mix that well with the more serious parts of the movie.
Jun 2, 2010 3:49 PM

Sep 2008
saxophone15 said:
Torrentsven said:

changturkey said:

It's not that I hate fanservice in general (I've seen shows with a lot of fanservice that I liked), It's just that it doesn't really mix that well with the more serious parts of the movie.

well its Gainax, that is always their style
but I'm think fanservice is really done well, its not like shoot juggling boobs on heated battle anyways
Jun 3, 2010 3:15 AM
Feb 2008
/2cent

Jun 3, 2010 3:32 AM

Dec 2007
This:

Jun 3, 2010 5:20 AM

Jul 2007
Something possibly worth noting:

Anybody else noticed how Unit 02's head vaguely resembles a customize MP EVA (those unstoppable winged big-mouthed white freaks in End of Evangelion)?

@Dilvish:
Definitely one of the movie's highlights.
Mari said:
幸せは、歩いて来ない、
だから歩いて行くんだね。
1日1歩3日で3歩
3歩進んで、2歩下がる。
人生は、ワンツ—パチ
YuunagiJun 3, 2010 6:53 AM
Jun 3, 2010 5:56 AM

Jul 2009
zeropi said:
the hell is wrong with these directors? they f#@$%^ up my childhood with just too songs out of place, the scene where shingi fights the unit 03 was supposed to have that old but awesome song from the original series, then the last angel fight had that song for a while, just to replace it with the same stupid song from before. the hell is up with that?

Oh, it was SUPPOSED to have the song from the original series was it? I guess you're the director instead of Anno then?
PsychodrakeJun 4, 2010 6:34 AM
Jun 3, 2010 2:06 PM

Apr 2010
10/10 just wow'd me. Animation is just purely amazing. Best I've seen. Action scenes were so intense that it got me teared up. Mari' using "the Beast" was freakn bada55!

Jun 3, 2010 2:49 PM

Feb 2010
^I agree. This movie was amazing. I 've already watched it twice. Every aspect of the series was of the highest quiality.
The only flaw is that the soundtrack is not completely new I think. Some songs are the same (or similar) to the first movie.
Jun 3, 2010 10:36 PM

Apr 2008
A very good and solid movie. The animation was great except some of the CG used looked really "fake" and not fitting with what was "drawn" within the scene. That's a minor complaint but nothing big on the visual front to complain about.

I do like how they give Rei a more emotional character than her doll like, cold television counterpart as if they left her cold in the movie it would not have worked as well as everyone has changed in their overall character whether you think it's for the better. Shinji being a more angry person toward his father works better than if he were to simply just sulk and be depressed (not that I hated that within the television series but it simply wouldn't fit with this) and it is nice to see Gendo not be as cold and menacing.

To be honest, Maris introduction has little impact for me. She had 15-20 minutes of screen time with the first 5 of it being her in Eva Unit 05 to show it getting destroyed, parachuting into Japan, and then her hijacking of Eva Unit 02 to try and stop the angel due to no other pilot available. It seems as if anybody could have been thrown into that role and comes off as a bit inconsequential but with 2 more movies to go, I can see her role increasing greatly so for now, it's not that big of an issue either as you still need the two other films.

The story is solid and done well but it isn't great nor as amazing as the television series. For a almost 2 hour long film, it does move at a really fast pace which in a way is a good thing as it covers a lot of ground quick but some scenes just seem really disjointed. Like going from this touching scene with character development between Asuka and Shinji or Rei to a scene at school that really amounts to 2-3 minutes of nothing important to a new big occurrence happening. Moments like that really take away from the flow of the film. I do wish in a way that plot wise that Asuka was killed, it would fuel Shinji's anger a bit more and put NERV in an even bigger hole then they're already in. But that's nothing huge either.

Overall, I'd say it was solid and well done, but some minor things keep it from being completely amazing and some quibbles with the story flow keeps it from being amazing. I'll probably rewatch it tomorrow so I can gain more, clearer thoughts.

Score: An even 9.0/10
Jun 4, 2010 6:52 AM

Feb 2009
It was soooo EPIC! It's just overflowing with epicness!
I have no words to describe how i felt while watching it...especially during the battle against the bomb angel...it's just too awesome.

10/10

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jun 4, 2010 7:42 AM

Apr 2009
i saw this and i wondered why i had wasted my time watching crappier anime's.

10/10

Give me moar.
Jun 4, 2010 7:46 AM

Mar 2010
@Martin

I agree with you on the Mari thing, she just kinda appears, fights, and then leaves, but her role will probably be expanded upon in the next film.
Jun 4, 2010 11:19 AM

Feb 2010
jujaal said:
SPOILER:

There is a spoiler button for this reason (just omit the empty spaces): [ spoiler] [ /spoiler]
Jun 4, 2010 2:07 PM
Mar 2008
I never cared much about this franchise, but dear god, this movie was so epic.
Jun 4, 2010 6:26 PM

Feb 2008
Lol, these are really beasts. It was good. Top-notch animation as always. Gainax is good at this. I expected way more different things but this puts fairly well. I would rewatch it just as the first one.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 4, 2010 10:26 PM

Apr 2009
I'm worried about Asuka in THAT scene just like Shinji. But then I'm happy again after ending credit. ^^ I think this episode is so awesome. I've got a lot of emotions while watching this.

Jun 4, 2010 10:27 PM

Apr 2009
Truly epic
Jun 4, 2010 11:15 PM

Jan 2009
You and possible love interest choking each other while a children's song about friendship plays: Classic.

You Ripping said person to shreds and grinding their body with your teeth standing their blood dripping from your moth while...a rainbow appears: Classic.

Kaworu shoving the lance of longinus in your back while you happen to be embracing your love, and then promising to make you happy while avoiding the end of the world: A sunny mix between epic and drop dead Hilarious.

Random Girl Blowing up WMD, Skydiving in your face, and then being awesome before being ripped to shreds in a beast mode WMD that just so happened to have a secret code-word no one else knew: ...indifferent.

10/10

Kaworu Kaworu Tasukette Kaworu
Kaworu Kaworu Tasukette

Almost fell out my seat when I saw the red-did eye-bomb.
Jun 5, 2010 5:10 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Excellent movie. The music was awesome. I can't get enough of Mari.

Jun 5, 2010 10:37 AM

Apr 2009
I hardly stomach mecha, but this time... damn, that was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Totally epic. And this genre shift in the middle of the film... wow. Just wow.
10/10: for art and awesome cgs, for the music that soothes one's heart, for the excellent plot and for the already mentioned genre shift that made my jaw drop to the floor.
Amazing. Truly amazing.

Jun 5, 2010 10:52 AM

Oct 2008
I loved it, especially how they gave rei more emotion. Mari was awesome too.
Jun 5, 2010 2:41 PM

Oct 2008
Amazing. It's funny to see Rei, Asuka, and Shinji changing in this remake. It's something that I like to see, but I hope the characters don't become unrecognizable. I am a bit more weary...
Jun 5, 2010 5:47 PM

Sep 2008
ReiLuvsChii said:

So wait, you have problem with the fanservice in an anime movie that openly stated at the end of each movie." THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF FAN SERVICE!" and it's actually toned down the face service from the original.

Seriously, kill your self.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jun 5, 2010 6:21 PM
May 2010
very nice animation plus full emotion and so much blood... and blood...
carlos-gsanJun 6, 2010 7:30 AM

Jun 5, 2010 7:20 PM
Jul 2008
It's funny, I had all but forgotten about Evangelion since I first watched it years ago. Even after 1.0, I wasn't too excited about the Rebuild project. But there's always been something about the series that makes me remember it fondly. It's... special. So... different from other shows. I can't really describe it. It's not the animation, the music, or the epic (ambitious?) scale of the story, or even the characters. I really don't know what it is, but, to me, there's just somethig about Evangelion that puts it on a level above all other anime.

I mean, I have my favorites, and I've never counted Evangelion among them, honestly. But, I've always considered Evangelion to be in a league of it's own as far as film-making is concerned. I'm not saying it's better than everything else. There's just something about it that makes me see it in a completely different light than any other movie, animated or otherwise.

If you don't get what I mean, just think about the final scene, specifically the last line that's spoken before the credits roll. Many other films have used a line similar to that, but it's never quite had the emotional impact you'd expect from it. Somehow, Evangelion is the only movie where a line like that just... WORKS.

Can't wait for 3.0
Jun 6, 2010 9:09 AM
Dec 2008
jujaal said:

holy shit.......... now that you're saying it

i loved 2.22, the only beef i have with it is

Jun 6, 2010 9:18 AM

Apr 2008
Concidering all the hype I was slightly disapointed.

It just didn't get to me.

Also it lacked Asuka... I like her a lot more with her hair down...
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Jun 6, 2010 1:11 PM

Jan 2008
zeropi said:
...then the last angel fight had that song for a while, just to replace it with the same stupid song from before. the hell is up with that?

Oh yes, how DARE they cut off a 2 minutes and 10 seconds long tune after 2 minutes and 10 seconds?! And really? You're complaining about them "replacing" the music in a scene that DIDN'T EXIST IN THE ORIGINAL CONTINUITY? Additionally a scene that just happened to be the single most beautiful moment in this entire franchise? Is this really the kind of music you'd want to hear in the background while Shinji thanks Rei for everything she'd done for him up to that point?
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM

» End of Evangelion or rebuild movie?

Requiemofthewind - Nov 7, 2021

8 by animeforlife808 »»
Nov 9, 2021 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.