Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 15, 2014 3:48 AM

Apr 2013
Good ending, mediocre show overall.
May 15, 2014 6:07 PM

May 2012
Quite lovely ending! I'm actually quite amazed that Olga did confess that Nicoletta was her daughter! And the facts with Claudio's ring got resolved together with Nicoletta being together now was pretty a nice final touch!

All in all a pretty lovely series in general with a very realistic yet suiting and relaxing atmosphere! 7/10
Jun 24, 2015 7:23 PM

Dec 2012
Splendid! Magnifico! Bravo! One of the problems a SOL of this nature faces is how to wrap things up with a sense of closure while remaining true to the everyday happenings of the characters. Ristorante Paradiso did an excellent job at providing a satisfying conclusion and certainly makes me wish there was more. This series had an extremely rich history behind its characters and could have benefited vastly from another 11 episodes.

I have to admit, I really had no idea what to expect when I first stumbled across this. A bunch of bishounen-esque old timers running a restaurant. There was suspicion towards the absurdity of it, but the opening immediately sold me on giving it a chance. This turned out to be nothing short of pleasant and soothing, each episode mesmerizing me with its Italian charm and an easy going atmosphere on par with Aria. Being Italian myself, I really did feel connected to this one and a slice of life in Rome was a perfect change of pace.

Ristorante Paradiso was filled with warm, sweet moments and really made me care about each of the hot bespectacled stud gentlemen I might go gay for this. I especially liked this final episode where Olga finally realized that was she Nicoletta's mother and wanted to finally make things right with her. This and the episode with Olga and Lorenzo celebrating their marriage are my favorites. The fact that I enjoyed episodes starring such an irresponsible mother goes to show how well they did at portraying these characters as human beings rather than caricatures.

It was also awesome to see Nicoletta and Claudio move forward towards that next step in their relationship. It was one that was built up well over the past 11 episodes. My favorite part of this finale was when Nicoletta said she didn't want to be rejected and Claudio told her that she wouldn't need to worry about that.

8/10. Strange, I suddenly have the urge to go buy glasses...
Aug 2, 2015 5:10 PM

Mar 2014
Sweet and relaxing. Sometimes I felt that the characters didn't really act like Italians and more like Japanese (like in episode 7 during Lucanio's birthday party, as somebody pointed out – most Italian kids would probably run around screaming instead of standing politely around the table), but other than that it captured the ''Italian'' atmosphere surprisingly well

Also, Claudio > the moest KyoAni moe blob

7/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 17, 2016 3:47 PM
Jun 2014
That was a pleasant anime to be sure. The romance was a little bit, well.. I was just hoping she'd find someone her own age instead while working at the restaurant. 30+ years older is a bit too.. weird..
Jan 21, 2016 5:41 PM

Dec 2013
Olga's revelation about Nicolleta was really touching :) And the owner accepted them. So Claudio and Nicolleta ended up dating? Very nice ending

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Mar 27, 2016 5:03 AM

May 2008
Great finale for such a nice show! This show is so relaxing and interesting to watch. The smooth conversation and interaction are so lovely done :) This is worth a 10/10 imo.
Jun 1, 2016 12:02 AM

Mar 2016
When Claudio told Nicoletta that she didn't have to worry about being rejected, I got excited, but Nicoletta didn't react, so I thought maybe he just meant with her mom and the owner.

Then, at the market, she told a man that Claudio was her boyfriend, but Claudio said she mispoke.

Nicoletta then said she wondered if the regulars would be able to tell that they're an item.

Everyone here says that they're dating, but then why would Claudio claim she mispoke for calling him her boyfriend??
Mar 17, 2017 5:02 PM

May 2016
I have rather mixed feelings about "Ristorante Paradiso".

On the one hand, the stories within are rather interesting, the characters are solid and the overall concept is nice.

On the other hand, there is a number of serious problems I had with the show. Some themes just did not sit right with me. Firstly, Nicoletta being left by her mother. It was a very selfish and unimaginable act that turned out to be even unnecessary. Secondly, the couple from ep. 6 with all the cheating. I personally do not understand such attitude.

The animation seemed lacking and all the CGI was really bad and out of place. The views of Rome were scarce and the city's portrayal left me unwilling to visit the place at all (based on this anime alone). The dull color scheme put me off for real. The character designs failed to do justice to its original counterparts. And I think the narration of the story in general was off, because Natsume Ono's works are usually a fascinating read.
Mar 21, 2017 3:01 PM

May 2010
I adore this little anime. Nicoletta was a wonderful main character and everyone else was great, too. The best thing, everyone felt realistic and the plot flowed very gently.

9/10, one of the best shojo/josei imo.
Kurini said:
Somehow, it felt uneasy that the Owner is not in the picture at the end...

Very nice series!

He's there tho? Why would they not include him. He's the tallest guy behind. Tho I guess given his clothing and the background, it's a bit hard to see him.
TragicRomanceMar 21, 2017 3:07 PM
Apr 9, 2019 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
Wow, I didn't expect to shed a tear, but I did. Just shows how beautiful this conclusion was.

Olgas confession was certainly a great moment, but my highlight was Claudio subtly accepting and returning Nicolettas feeling. You're in luck, then. So simple and powerful. I also loved how carefree both seemed while they were strolling over the market. I'm sad that there aren't more episodes, but this was imo a perfectly fitting conclusion for a light hearted and natural series such as Ristorante Paradiso. It gave closure without feeling all too different from the other episodes, more than well done.

Overall definitely more than just a pleasant surprise. I expected to like this and the first few minutes solidified it for me. The atmosphere was so warm and charming, there was drama, but it never really devaited from the nature of the series. And never have I seen such a loveable cast mainly consisting of middle aged men.

Another top tier Josei title for my list :P

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 19, 2019 10:59 AM

Dec 2015
I really liked the ending; from Olga making the big reveal to Claudio subtly returning Nicolettas feelings, everything just turned out well. Bumping this up to the final score of 8/10!
Jul 7, 2019 5:08 PM

May 2015
Really love the show, relaxing and just cheerful. I enjoyed that most of the characters were older. Everyone was charming and had their own flair. Watching it really made me want to drink wine, and be served by older gentlemen with glasses.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is shit
Aug 15, 2019 11:06 PM

Jul 2016
what a nice ending. I loved these characters. They aren't overidealized. They are a lot of unhappy people with moments of happiness. That's what life is! :)
Feb 23, 2020 11:58 PM

Sep 2014
Really nice last episode. Happy Olga finally admitted about Nicoletta being her daughter, I take back all the mean things I said about her.
I ship Nicoletta & Claudio
THIS show made me have some kind of interest in older men (lol) like Claudio is sexy haha
May 22, 2020 3:37 PM
Sep 2019
I love this series of anime, because it's show something abt love but in a different and mature way. Although I think Claudio were too old for Nicoletta, I still like that in the ending they're finally get the better way. At the first time, I think it's strange to see an anime abt old men, but actually I got interested too! The OST and BGM are also nice. I rarely find jazzy music in animes.
Nice!
Feb 13, 2021 10:33 PM

Feb 2012
It was a fine series, but many scenes were so slow with nothing happening, not even dialogue, that it brought it down a notch. I'd like to see more anime like this, with working life and adults, but this seemed to me quite an average example of the genre. It's even a bit funny how often adulthood in anime means drinks after workday, fluffy relationship drama, smoking and a jazzy soundtrack. Maybe that reflects the Japanese society, I don't know.

This particular series had an unusual setting as it took place in Rome. From what I know of Italy, this reminded me more of Italian movies or soap operas rather than actual Italian life. And as a little fantasy piece it was okay. If this didn't happen to be a genre I quite enjoy, I doubt I would have liked the series much.

For obvious reasons, I was reminded of the anime Bartender, not only because of the setting. That series, though it has currently the same score on MAL, I found much more enjoyable, the stories more interesting, so I'd recommend checking that out if you enjoyed this.
Sep 25, 2022 10:18 PM
Feb 2021
The story was beautifully written, the topic of food was set aside to make space to the interactions with the characters, the conflict wasn't solved completely.
I would have liked to see more work on this beautiful anime.
Nov 17, 2023 1:35 AM

Sep 2018
Slow paced, meticulously detailed, Italian fine dining, romantic interests, tranquil atmosphere, pleasantries and forming connections. Real good cast of characters.

On the other hand, it is a not so subtle fetish show targeted at young women with certain interests/fantasies. Also, the way this show casually addresses big elephants in the room, feels a little alien, like it's trying too hard to force atmospheric maturity on you. 6/10.
Dec 10, 2023 11:52 AM

Aug 2011
A decent anime with a great OST and characters.

I wasn't too thrilled with the history of the mother/daughter relationship. I think Olga's excuses were just that - excuses and not good ones at that.

Claudio and Nicoletta was a mismatched pairing; I think I prefer them as friends. Age aside, I'm talking personalities. I feel Nicoletta needs to mature more, but hell - look at her mother. That may take a while.

The highlight of this anime was the mature men, who seemed to be more well-developed than the women characters.

Tsuyu_no_InochiDec 10, 2023 12:00 PM
3 hours ago

May 2015
Olga is one lucky woman, she got off too easy for all the lying and neglecting her daughter, but I'm glad she at least confessed. Very enjoyable series overall, I liked getting to know each character and the relaxed atmosphere. Would have preferred to see more of how Claudio and Nicoletta's relationship develops, but oh well. They are off to some start with no past burdening anymore, so it's alright.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ristorante Paradiso Episode 8 Discussion

dbaranyi - Jun 4, 2009

31 by Ten »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ristorante Paradiso Episode 4 Discussion

dbaranyi - May 7, 2009

34 by Ten »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Ristorante Paradiso Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Anomalous - Apr 8, 2009

70 by Ten »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Ristorante Paradiso Episode 5 Discussion

dbaranyi - May 14, 2009

28 by Cazqui-09 »»
Sep 22, 2023 9:33 PM

Poll: » Ristorante Paradiso Episode 6 Discussion

dbaranyi - May 20, 2009

21 by cornonacob »»
Sep 1, 2021 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.